• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibex

I must be the only person here that's never had any issues at Blackpool North. On a trip last Sunday I found the gate line staff to be really pleasant when we arrived, and got wished a great day etc. Similar on the return I noticed the chap opening the "OCD door" to be pleasant to the people waiting at the front of the queue too when he arrived.

Judging by bramling's experience posted above

To be fair, I did pop down to the station on the Sunday morning and the station supervisor was extremely welcoming when I asked to spend an hour on the platforms, which was granted with good grace. However despite the staff having been made aware of my presence, I got rudely shouted at by three separate staff, one station staff and two cleaning staff, including sworn at by one of the latter.

...I can only assume it really does boil down to individual staff rather than an instruction from Northern themselves. Although the situation there does seem to have been widely acknowledged amongst the enthusiast community for years so Northern are not total angels, they've had years to pull their finger out and sort it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...I can only assume it really does boil down to individual staff rather than an instruction from Northern themselves....
True. I've experienced extremely rude staff at BPN however I am sure it is not an instruction from Northern! However Northern should deal with the problem.

The opening and closing of individual doors demonstrates that some staff have too much time on their hands.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The opening and closing of individual doors demonstrates that some staff have too much time on their hands.

Unlike the passengers who are often given less the 5 minutes to bord their trains. If your not quick enough or the staff insistance on working this way means your chosen service is full and its not unknown for this to happen and invalidate connections for advance holders at Preston

this happened to me last year and I am still owed money for a Carlisle single from PRE which I had to buy

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unlike the passengers who are often given less the 5 minutes to bord their trains. If your not quick enough or the staff insistance on working this way means your chosen service is full and its not unknown for this to happen and invalidate connections for advance holders at Preston

this happened to me last year and I am still owed money for a Carlisle single from PRE which I had to buy

Why did you have to buy that? Inability to board due to overcrowding doesn't invalidate anything, and indeed I believe would entitle you to Delay Repay (if the TOC does it).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Staff denying I couldnt travel.

Reality was I had booked passenger assist along with 1 other person and were both refused travel as staff thought it would be to dangerous. Granted the wheelchair user wouldnt have had a good time but I am blind not crippled however it made no difference and by the time I got to preston my train had gone and BPN had phoned informing them simply that I was at fault for missing it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Staff denying I couldnt travel.

Reality was I had booked passenger assist along with 1 other person and were both refused travel as staff thought it would be to dangerous. Granted the wheelchair user wouldnt have had a good time but I am blind not crippled however it made no difference and by the time I got to preston my train had gone and BPN had phoned informing them simply that I was at fault for missing it.

Absolutely disgusting. Some staff need at the very least tea without biscuits there, possibly even to be marched out to buy their own tea. It's not even "jobsworth", it's a complete failure to do their job properly in connection with passengers requiring assistance.

I'd have been half tempted to try to have them prosecuted under whatever the DDA is called now for failing to make reasonable adjustments (i.e. accommodating you on the next train and looking after you properly in the meantime).

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The thought occured to me but ultimatly I simply want my TPX only single refunded, a matter now in the hand of a manager who is dealing with it after months of lies and alligations by those involved.

I now buy advances to Preston only so that if Blackpool delay me its simply a delay rather than them claiming I was late at their end. I also try to use South wherever possible but as this sometimes isnt the staff at North can't throw the AP tickets rulebook at me. It has happened again since and it was handled at Preston as a delay and my ticket revalidated, all thanks to the Northern guard who explained everything to them.

DuncanS

I'm thinking the last station will be either Wick or Thurso :?:

They have already said it will be Wick. Plans could change but the train from the Snecky goes to Thurso first and then "reverses" back to Wick. IN theory they could get off at the junction and skip Thurso.

Kite159

Veteran Member
They have already said it will be Wick. Plans could change but the train from the Snecky goes to Thurso first and then "reverses" back to Wick. IN theory they could get off at the junction and skip Thurso.

Cue the Wick train being held up on route with delays, skipping out the reversal at Thurso to carry on straight to Wick, with any passengers for Thurso put into a minibus. :lol:

As the timetable on the Far North isn't the most reliable due to the long single track sections and limited passing points.

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member

Why on earth would they actively choose to skip a station in a project called All The Stations?

Altfish

I know that they said they are finishing at Wick but I'd have thought it'd make more sense to go up the East side, down the West and finish at Gretna.

DuncanS

Why on earth would they actively choose to skip a station in a project called All The Stations?

I meant skip Thurso on the out train and then go back to it on a Snecky train from Wick. :)

I thought it was clear, clearly not- apologies.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
I meant skip Thurso on the out train and then go back to it on a Snecky train from Wick. :)

I thought it was clear, clearly not- apologies.

What is a "Snecky train" for those of us who are completely bamboozled by this term? We aren't all locals!!

I'd assume the plan is quite simply to get a train to Wick via Thurso as per the timetable. Nothing more complicated than that. Why would they skip Thurso on the way??? That makes no sense.

I imagine they will loop around from either Edinburgh or Glasgow via Perth to Inverness and across to Aberdeen and back down to Dundee (or in the opposite direction), while the final moves will involve doing the West Highland Line, (with some doubling back along the Oban branch), out to Mallaig, across to Skye and back to Kyle and Inverness before doing the Far North Line to Wick.

And no they didn't visit Lands End - the starting point was Penzance Station, and the finishing point should be Wick Station.

Last edited:

DuncanS

I'd assume the plan is quite simply to get a train to Wick via Thurso as per the timetable. Nothing more complicated than that. Why would they skip Thurso on the way??? That makes no sense.

I know but someone mentioned upthread that the end point could be Thurso, and we've got into this as I was saying that to have the end point be Thurso you'd have to get off the train a stop early and then wait for it to come back from Thurso to take you to Wick AND then take the Wick - Inverness train into Thurso on its return trip.

Unless they are doing something odd then their end point will be Wick.

...which isn't where I'd end my tour of Scotland, but that's another point. :D Having been to Wick (and Wick Station) once its where I'd start my Scottish All the Stations.

Last edited:

Ginaro

They are in Edinburgh earlier . North Berwick line earlier
Where they got caught out by one of diesels that runs 7 minutes earlier than the 380s in the "hourly" service, so had to wait for the next one. Imagine, not checking RTT or the National Rail app, amateurs! :p

From their Instagram story they are back travelling east again, must be off to do Dunbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.