• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Unfortunately it was one of the days that didn't feature.

They visited on June 25th.

Lrd

Established Member
Anybody else going to the All The Stations event being held at the Transport Museum tonight?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anybody else going to the All The Stations event being held at the Transport Museum tonight?

What event? - its a bit late telling us about it now! :D

Cant see anything on the ATS website - only something about an event at the LTM for 10-16 year olds on the 28th?

Lrd

Established Member
Yeah it's that, tickets went on sale a while ago now and sold out pretty quickly

hooverboy

On Moderation
I'm in no way affiliated with this project on Kickstarter but I have backed it.

Geoff Marshall and Vicki Pipe make Youtube videos about public transport mainly in London. They've set up a project to go and visit every National Rail station in the country and make a video record of their journeys. The videos and photographs will also act as a State of the Railways in 2017.

Currently they have got to to £20,000 out of the £28,000 target so the fund raising part is going well. There's an adopt a station reward for anyone who wants to offer £10 to the project.

Please do look at the project with the fundraising video and if it's your sort of thing throw a couple of notes their way.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/562621903/all-the-stations

amazing coincidence!..just been watching his blog last weekend.
really good fun.

Justin Smith

Sorry if this question has already been answered in this (long) thread, but, as reported on HIGNFY, are they supposed to be visiting all the stations in the UK in 15 weeks ? And if so what definition of "visiting" are they using ?

I had a thread about this very subject a few years back and came to the conclusion this was the most appropriate definition :

1 Catching a service to the station.
2 Catching a service from the station.
3 Changing trains at the station, but getting back on the same train is not allowed, unless it`s a terminal station (OK because that`s a separate service).

Using that definition it didn`t seem possible to do it in 15 weeks !

Lrd

Established Member
They've already done it, their rules were that the train had to stop there or if it was a request stop then train had to be scheduled to stop there, whether it actually stopped or not didn't matter. They didn't get on or off at every station.

Justin Smith

They've already done it, their rules were that the train had to stop there or if it was a request stop then train had to be scheduled to stop there, whether it actually stopped or not didn't matter. They didn't get on or off at every station.

I thought it`d be something like that, though I have to say that`s stretching the definition of "visiting a station" way beyond what I`d accept.

Lrd

Established Member
I thought it`d be something like that, though I have to say that`s stretching the definition of "visiting a station" way beyond what I`d accept.
It is yeah, I agree. But it's what they stated on their Kickstarter so it's what we were all expecting (for most people at least)

Martin66

This is what they actually said:
"All The Stations is a project to travel to ALL 2,560 national railway stations in Britain over the spring and summer of 2017, and to create an online documentary film about the journey."

Altfish

I can't believe this discussion/argument is still going on.
The trains they were on stopped at every station, they could have jumped off and jumped back on again. Is that visiting every station?
If they had to get off and catch the next train, it'd have taken then a staggering amount of time. The Stockport to Stalybridge Line could have taken them 3-weeks. They'd have had a good wait at Teesside Airport too.

They clearly stated what they were going to do, and did it.

Dhassell

I can't believe this discussion/argument is still going on.
The trains they were on stopped at every station, they could have jumped off and jumped back on again. Is that visiting every station?
If they had to get off and catch the next train, it'd have taken then a staggering amount of time. The Stockport to Stalybridge Line could have taken them 3-weeks. They'd have had a good wait at Teesside Airport too.

They clearly stated what they were going to do, and did it.
No one is arguing? Someone just wanted clarification.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Maybe someone should set up an alternative to 'All the Stations' a bit like WBO and WBA and the break away darts federations to establish 'their' own set of rules.
Am thinking along the line of G.O.A.T.S. - Get Off At The Stations. Maybe extending it to not just alighting at the platform but visiting the locality (and maybe a local hostelry) in order to qualify for any GOATS awards or honours. Actually maybe 'get off' at the stations could be misconstrued in certain modern parlance - am sure someone could arrive at a more modern day amenable variant.

Established Member
ADCATS - Arrive, Depart or Change at All The Stations?
Arrive, Depart, Change at, or be on a train that could stop (in the case of request stops) at All The Stations!

Incidentally, I worked out recently that assuming you used every train and stayed overnight on the line, you could finish the Heart of Wales by actually getting on or off in just 1.5 days! By my personal rules, I've done either 4 or 5 days on there (not sure off the top of my head) and still got 3 shacks left!

Geoff told me they also worked out how long it'd take to do it 'properly' (then we had an argument over what constituted 'properly' due to my rules...) and he said it would have taken 10 months.

daikilo

Established Member
Arrive, Depart, Change at, or be on a train that could stop (in the case of request stops) at All The Stations!

Incidentally, I worked out recently that assuming you used every train and stayed overnight on the line, you could finish the Heart of Wales by actually getting on or off in just 1.5 days! By my personal rules, I've done either 4 or 5 days on there (not sure off the top of my head) and still got 3 shacks left!

Geoff told me they also worked out how long it'd take to do it 'properly' (then we had an argument over what constituted 'properly' due to my rules...) and he said it would have taken 10 months.

Well, Geoff and Vicki used taxis and car helpers to do their circuit, so presumably that would also be acceptable on the HoW (once the unwanted vegetation has been cleared). If so, I cannot imagine 10 months (days maybe) but I would be interested to see the itinerary for 1.5 days.

Established Member
Well, Geoff and Vicki used taxis and car helpers to do their circuit, so presumably that would also be acceptable on the HoW (once the unwanted vegetation has been cleared). If so, I cannot imagine 10 months (days maybe) but I would be interested to see the itinerary for 1.5 days.
Ah... for 10 months I meant all 2563 stations, not just the Heart of Wales alone.

The spreadsheet is on my tablet-I'll attach it later when I get back onto wifi.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Think we've covered this subject plenty time enough.

Covered maybe but the 'All England' Rules have not been established and until they are the debate must continue.

(have still got to visit the stations on the Maesteg and Ebbw Vale branches)

Kite159

Veteran Member

I would like to see this plan to do the line in 1.5 days.

Altfish

I would like to see this plan to do the line in 1.5 days.
I seem to remember it was not going station A to station B to station C .....to station Z; but it was possible to do it faster by going Station A to station B then to Station G, then back to Station C.
In other words not doing the stations in order

Kite159

Veteran Member
I seem to remember it was not going station A to station B to station C .....to station Z; but it was possible to do it faster by going Station A to station B then to Station G, then back to Station C.
In other words not doing the stations in order

Something like the Heart of Wales you need to bounce back between stations to make use of the limited services. Employing the use of any local buses or walking between nearby* stations. I based myself in Llanelli when I did the line, although being more clever and basing yourself on the line itself with a different place each night would cut down the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.