• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any news about the Chiltern Power-door Mk3s yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/news/story?id=8540

http://www.publictenders.net/node/1743694

June 5th Tender
8-13 140kmh locomotives for Arriva Group Plc (c/o Chiltern) for suburban, regional and express passenger trains for which it or its subsidiaries are currently the franchisee, or may be the franchisee in future. The first 7 must be delivered by 31st December 2014. Closing date is 37 day after tender publication which is something like 12th July.

Edit: Tender itself says date of dispatch 1st June

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is there a press release for this, or an OJEU tender or similar? Surely there aren't the DVTs for this, unless there's some secret, advanced, plan regarding the Great Eastern fleet

There are vast numbers of DVTs available..... 52 Mark 3 DVTs were built and only one has been scrapped.
15 in service with Greater Anglia, one with Virgin and a handful with Chiltern/ATW.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Didn't DB buy load of them a few years back? And they bought some mk3s when they became available didn't they?

(don't Virgin have two DVTs on their books?)

EDIT: The AbRail website has DB regio owning 82106/110/113/116/120/122/123/137/138/141/148/150/301-308

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Didn't DB buy load of them a few years back? And they bought some mk3s when they became available didn't they?

VT do i believe have two DVTs on their books - 82126 Which is the Pretendolino one, and 82101 - 101 Squadron which is the back up old liveried DVT.

As for the rest of the DVTs, 8 Are in use with Chiltern & ATW, 16 Are in use with GA, 1 with DB Shenker, one - 82119 is scrapped, and 82149 (The former original 101 Squadron) is now in use as a Training vehicle for fire-fighters at Fire Service College, Moreton-in-Marsh along with a few ex Pendolino coaches. So all in all, that 27 out of 52 DVTs in use with DB regio? owning 12 more in store - But dont forget that Network Rail are also looking into the DVTS too, so say 5 maybe 6 DVTs for them - 44/45 - Leaving at least 7/8 DVTs in store with no use or owners.

As Arriva are after by the sounds of it, fairly new locos, i wonder if it'll lead to any conversations with DRS?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

EDIT: The AbRail website has DB regio owning 82106/110/113/116/120/122/123/137/138/141/148/150/301-308

Crikey - Didnt realise they owned that many, ok - will ajust some figures in a minute then.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
http://www.transportbriefing.co.uk/news/story?id=8540

http://www.publictenders.net/node/1743694

June 5th Tender
8-13 140kmh locomotives for Arriva Group Plc (c/o Chiltern) for suburban, regional and express passenger trains for which it or its subsidiaries are currently the franchisee, or may be the franchisee in future. The first 7 must be delivered by 31st December 2014. Closing date is 37 day after tender publication which is something like 12th July.

Edit: Tender itself says date of dispatch 1st June

The Public Tenders Website states 160kph (99mph) rather than 140kph (87mph).

I suppose they may be push-pull to reduce the RA index and increase route availability.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There are vast numbers of DVTs available..... 52 Mark 3 DVTs were built and only one has been scrapped.
15 in service with Greater Anglia, one with Virgin and a handful with Chiltern/ATW.

Fair enough! How many "available" 67s are there? IE ones not semi--permanently allocated to Chiltern, ATW, Scotrail Sleepers, the Royal Train and the Management train?

craig87034

Fair enough! How many "available" 67s are there? IE ones not semi--permanently allocated to Chiltern, ATW, Scotrail Sleepers, the Royal Train and the Management train?

7 Spare 67's because

1-3 Arriva Trains Wales
4,7,9,11,30 Scotrail
5,6,26 Royal
10,12,13,14,15,18 Chiltern
29 DB Management
any 5 remaining 67's East Coast Thunderbirds

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Hmm, so that could I suppose be slightly increased if:
The scotrail loco-hauled fife circle service is ended (surely only need 3 plus a spare for sleeper?)
The royal train pool is reduced back to 2
The management train was to use a "royal" loco

A thought- is 8 based upon the idea of using 67s, whilst 13 might involve replacing the existing 67s with a larger single fleet? Only problem with this theory is that it should be 8-14 I'd have thought.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Are class 67s 100mph locos, or are they capable of 125mph as wikipedia suggests? If wiki is correct, then since the tender is asking for 100mph locos does that mean DB are not looking for 67s? Also, don't DB have the use of the whole class 67 fleet anyway, so wouldn't need to lease the others since they already own/lease the lot?

Did the tender say anything about compatibility with DVTs, if not what could DB be intending to do with their 8-13 non-DVT-compatible locos (though they could just convert more DVTs to be compatible with the new locos)?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They don't need 125mph capability- so the tender leaves leaves the possibility of something else being used.

DB-Arriva are a seperate company under a parent umbrella group from DBS.

RPM

Established Member
There have been rumours for a few years that the Chiltern board have been considering getting a fleet of new locomotives to replace the 67s, in fact they predate the demise of WSMR and the word was that they were looking to get new locomotives for both WSMR and Chiltern. I forget what they are called now, but it was the same type of loco that DRS are ordering that was mentioned back then.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's supposed to be a Vossloh Eurolight (which will be called a class 68 in the UK) which all the rumours are about. DRS have some on order at the moment, apparently they are very similar to a 67 from a drivers point of view but have a much more pleasant cab. If the rumours about just how much the 67 lease costs are true then its not surprising at all that a change is being made. It's quite exciting to be involved with Chiltern at the moment, unless you are at Aylesbury of course. ;)

Established Member
It's supposed to be a Vossloh Eurolight (which will be called a class 68 in the UK) which all the rumours are about. DRS have some on order at the moment, apparently they are very similar to a 67 from a drivers point of view but have a much more pleasant cab. If the rumours about just how much the 67 lease costs are true then its not surprising at all that a change is being made. It's quite exciting to be involved with Chiltern at the moment, unless you are at Aylesbury of course. ;)

Perhaps this part of thread should be spun out into the main Traction forum?

Other users may have missed the procurement of traction developments.

starrymarkb

Established Member
It's supposed to be a Vossloh Eurolight (which will be called a class 68 in the UK)

Will it, I thought the reason Class 68 wasn't used was that it would clash with MU vehicles. The numbering range of the 57 had to tiptoe through the sprinter ranges, hence 57/0, 57/3, 57/6

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
According to Modern Railways 68001 to 68050 have been reserved in TOPS for future use. I only have that info second hand from Wikipedia but apparently it is on page 87 of the current (June 2012) issue. Perhaps somebody who reads the magazine and is active in this thread can confirm?

shaun

Weren't Virgin Trains originally looking at Class 68s before the Voyagers were ordered? They were going to replace the HSTs, whereas the voyagers were just intended to replace the '47's. Strange how Chiltern are basically echoing now what Virgin should really have done ten years ago, installed power doors on HST Mk3s and ordered new Class 68 locos as '47' replacements. The coaching stock for the 68s could've been either new build Mk5 or ex-WCML Mk3s with new power doors. What a different railway we would've had...

SprinterMan

Established Member
Weren't Virgin Trains originally looking at Class 68s before the Voyagers were ordered? They were going to replace the HSTs, whereas the voyagers were just intended to replace the '47's. Strange how Chiltern are basically echoing now what Virgin should really have done ten years ago, installed power doors on HST Mk3s and ordered new Class 68 locos as '47' replacements. The coaching stock for the 68s could've been either new build Mk5 or ex-WCML Mk3s with new power doors. What a different railway we would've had...

Yeah, but a Virgin 68 was just a 67 with one cab.

Adam :D

KiddyKid

The second rake of Mk3 plug door stock has arrived at Wembley Depot, the former chiltern liveried DVT 82302 was included in the rake now sporting ex works silver/grey and generator fitted.

Established Member
The second rake of Mk3 plug door stock has arrived at Wembley Depot, the former chiltern liveried DVT 82302 was included in the rake now sporting ex works silver/grey and generator fitted.

That was quick!

It's only 6 weeks since the last set was delivered.

Can we expect a "New" Mk3 coach off the line every 10 days or so?

saracen43

Am i right in thinking there is just one rake of powered door MK3,s in operation at the moment, which diagram does it do and is it consistant. P.S does the buffet car door still have the droplights in place.

fgwrich

Established Member
Am i right in thinking there is just one rake of powered door MK3,s in operation at the moment, which diagram does it do and is it consistant. P.S does the buffet car door still have the droplights in place.

There are now 2 Powered Door sets in Chilterns fleet, however i don't know if the second one is out and about yet.

As for the droplights in the buffet car / RFM doors, they are still there but like the Mk3 HST buffet cars, are likely to be sealed up.

KiddyKid

The second set remains at Wembley I assume for Snagging/Acceptance inspections although it was at the north end of the depot earlier today. I have been told it will have a week of trial ecs running and then enter service. The windows in the RFM are sealed as the door is used as an emergency exit with an internal sealed operating handle.
The second plug door set entered traffic over the weekend with the next set of conventional Mk3's departing for Wabtec. This only leaves the Blue/Grey set left with slam doors. I am told the next set to return will be in Sept with the last one arriving in time for the winter timetable. It is also expected that additional TSO coaches will be added to the sets at this time to increase capacity.

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
The second set remains at Wembley I assume for Snagging/Acceptance inspections although it was at the north end of the depot earlier today. I have been told it will have a week of trial ecs running and then enter service. The windows in the RFM are sealed as the door is used as an emergency exit with an internal sealed operating handle.
The second plug door set entered traffic over the weekend with the next set of conventional Mk3's departing for Wabtec. This only leaves the Blue/Grey set left with slam doors. I am told the next set to return will be in Sept with the last one arriving in time for the winter timetable. It is also expected that additional TSO coaches will be added to the sets at this time to increase capacity.

I thought there were 4 grey/silver sets?
2 have power doors, and the final one is going to Doncaster so there now appear to be 3. I'm confused. :( How many are there?

sprinterguy

Established Member
I thought there were 4 grey/silver sets?
2 have power doors, and the final one is going to Doncaster so there now appear to be 3. I'm confused. :( How many are there?
There are most definitely four ex-Wrexham & Shropshire silver sets.

The third set due to be power door fitted may have gone up to Doncaster not long after the first power-door set entered passenger service, but I don't know for certain.

Harbon 1

The third set due to be power door fitted may have gone up to Doncaster not long after the first power-door set entered passenger service, but I don't know for certain.

There was definitely a siler plug set in doncaster works today confirmed by myself at 0615 and by someone else at aprox. 1104 today

sprinterguy

Established Member
It is also expected that additional TSO coaches will be added to the sets at this time to increase capacity.
Do you know (and can you disclose if so) if this will be made possible by breaking up one of the other rakes, or by converting additional mark 3 vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.