• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprenticeship Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
I've not got level 2 in ICT but have taught level 2 ICT in a high school for several years. I am hoping to find a way round it to be honest, but not sure if there is one!

If you haven't got the Level 2 qualification, even if you've got something higher, you'll have to do it as part of the Apprenticeship, I believe. Shouldn't be an issue for you though if you've taught it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SLee

Agreed - complete waste of time and (public) money and you’re simply not gaining anything remotely useful from it. The TOCs used to do all this training off their own back and still would if they didn’t have access to this scheme.

Completely the wrong way of looking at it in my view. You’re not a student, you’re being paid to learn to do a job, and the going rate for that has long been far higher than £18k. Keep in mind that many people coming into the job will have had previous careers and may well be taking a substantial pay cut to train, which can be difficult for those with families, mortgages etc., so comments like “I’m just grateful I’m earning more than £18k” might not go down too well with your course mates!

EDIT: if you’re at TPE and move up to £58k during training then that’s great, and is indeed a lot higher than most (all?) other TOCs will pay before you’re productive. That’s especially good for career changers as I know many really struggle on the training wages. Still doesn’t change the points in relation to the apprenticeship, though! ;)

100%.
No one is making them move job though

Terry844

Does anyone know where this dislike for the apprenticeship has come from?

At the end of the day it will still be train driver training just with a recognised qualification at the end of it, from what others have said your just working through a work book to get the evidence needed which will also be useful for revision during the actual train driver training.

dk1

Veteran Member
What on earth is all this extra GCSE rubbish that has to be done on these apprenticeship drivers positions? Some have just started at Norwich & apparently they even have to spend over half an hour on the phone to somebody in their own time talking about something that has nothing to do with train driving.

Danetime

Thankfully I won't have that issue being Microsoft certified but it's very interesting to hear some are doing it at colleges
I've not got level 2 in ICT but have taught level 2 ICT in a high school for several years. I am hoping to find a way round it to be honest, but not sure if there is one!

If anything you are probably over-qualified. My ICT test were literary these 5 tasks:

Google something.
Design a menu in word or publisher. They give you all the text/logos/ pictures so pretty much a copy and paste job.
Open the excel spreadsheet and enter a formula to calculate the day's takings.
Attach that spreadsheet to an email and send an email.
Then there is a ''troubleshoot'' task. A question like The PC won't turn on what can you do? Answer: check the power lead and you will get full marks.

They give you 2 hours for that took me 50 mins. It's nothing crazy and I can't believe that is a C grade.

For the English is that kind of level again.

Also, the pass mark for all tests is around 60%!

baz962

Established Member

At the end of the day it will still be train driver training just with a recognised qualification at the end of it, from what others have said your just working through a work book to get the evidence needed which will also be useful for revision during the actual train driver training.
It's not a dislike. When I post I try to help and answer some or all the original poster questions. One of which was along the lines of. What are the differences and the correct answer is none. So I'm giving the op my answer as a qualified driver and it makes no difference. You do the same job for the same pay and conditions and it doesn't make you a better or worse driver. I have no problem with apprenticeships and would of done it if asked , although personally I'm glad I didn't have the extra work to do.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Surprised a TOC pays that much from the off
It is mad, I know if I get a role internally I'll be on protected salary which is better than initial trainee wage

What on earth is all this extra GCSE rubbish that has to be done on these apprenticeship drivers positions? Some have just started at Norwich & apparently they even have to spend over half an hour on the phone to somebody in their own time talking about something that has nothing to do with train driving.
I'll be claiming that time back as overtime on my log sheet, should really be done within work hours but if that is the catch up calls previously mentioned then I guess that's not necessarily possible unless you can arrange for it to be done when sat spare.

Established Member

Not a dislike as such. Just criticism of a cynical cash grab by TOCs, for an irrelevant and pointless “qualification” which nobody cares about.

As someone who has done the training, I can confirm the workbook wasn’t useful revision at all.

Jon1930

I agree the functional skills is a waste of time and u will gain nothing from doing it, it's basically 1 week in a class room, however if u can show u have GCSE grade C or better u will just do front ending, then it's just 1 phone call from your assessor every 5 or 6 weeks seeing how u are getting along in the driver training, then after pass out it's a final end assessment, the questions are easy multiple choice basic rules exams. And u get a certificate.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'll be claiming that time back as overtime on my log sheet,

Trainees at my TOC don't get overtime. I'd certainly check that with your TOC and any new Terms and Conditions you may need to sign up on.

should really be done within work hours

There is a combination of on and off the job hours. There will ALWAYS be an element of off the job hours because you may need to 'revise' and 'study' at home when off the job. As a Driver I am expected to maintain my competence. That comes with an element of going through rules, routes, and traction, in my own time.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Trainees at my TOC don't get overtime. I'd certainly check that with your TOC and any new Terms and Conditions you may need to sign up on.

There is a combination of on and off the job hours. There will ALWAYS be an element of off the job hours because you may need to 'revise' and 'study' at home when off the job. As a Driver I am expected to maintain my competence. That comes with an element of going through rules, routes, and traction, in my own time.
As long as I'm doing time sheets I'll be logging it, it's not the same as revising which I will do in my own time to supplement what I have learnt.

Majority of drivers at depots I've worked at use spare turns or standby shifts to go over rules, PONs, etc. Shifts are long enough as it is at my depot, adding extra hours would surely have an impact on fatigue levels no?

Funnily enough, I'm route refresh today so that is what I'm doing and flicking through the latest policy changes

ComUtoR

Established Member
As long as I'm doing time sheets I'll be logging it, it's not the same as revising which I will do in my own time to supplement what I have learnt.

Not sure I follow you here. Revising for the Apprenticeship and Revising for the Job is pretty much the same thing. The Apprenticeship really just a formalisation of what you are learning on the job with some tick boxy things to gain a qualification. When I signed up to my Apprenticeship I had to agree to both on and off the job learning. Considering how little time it took off the job and how much box ticky it really is I don't see any issue. Learning to be a Driver when at home is by default also doing your Apprenticeship.

I hope you do get paid but I would certainly check that with your TOC.

Majority of drivers at depots I've worked at use spare turns or standby shifts to go over rules, PONs, etc. Shifts are long enough as it is at depot, adding extra hours would surely have an impact on fatigue levels no?

Lots of people will revise at work but in the same vein many will go through their books at home. Even if its just checking the rule book for the latest door regs or going through the annual updates. I've lost count of the times I've checked a route for some minutiae detail I forgot. Reports, emails, checking the roster.. etc etc. are all forms of working when at home. We all do it.

With fatigue it can be quite complicated. 'Workload Management' and 'Self Management' are key non technical skills.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'll be claiming that time back as overtime on my log sheet, should really be done within work hours but if that is the catch up calls previously mentioned then I guess that's not necessarily possible unless you can arrange for it to be done when sat spare.
It's so not railway having to do anything after hours. Never known it before.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It's so not railway having to do anything after hours. Never known it before.
How to tell if someone works on the railway, ask them to do something and they'll ask if they're getting paid before agreeing to it haha.

Stigy

Established Member
How to tell if someone works on the railway, ask them to do something and they'll ask if they're getting paid before agreeing to it haha.
The difference between being a trainee and qualified in terms of the pecking order is quite vast I found. For example, your T&Cs aren’t generally as good as a trainee, and dictating to the trainers or management about what you will and won’t do is generally frowned up on.

Don’t get me wrong, no one would be expected to work to excess at home, but if you start putting down 30 mins here and there as overtime on timesheets, it may be suggested that when you get home from work 4hrs early from a spare shift several times a month, or take advantage of the white space on diagrams, that’s immoral, and you should in fact stay for your booked hours, as that’s what you’re paid for. Nobody is expected to work for free, but certainly as a trainee driver, there’s an element of expected at home working. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

I have to say it grates on me a bit, the attitude of some people going through the driver training process, and that’s coming from a driver who only passed out himself 15 or so months ago. Work ethic seems to have gone out the window in a lot of people. It’s surely questionable when new trainees join the industry and are disquieted because they’ve had to participate in an apprenticeship - apprenticeships which, by all accounts, I’m generally against for drivers as I’ve said previously.

I wonder how many people, at their DMI said they’d not be happy to do an apprenticeship, or raised the question about them?

dk1

Veteran Member
The difference between being a trainee and qualified in terms of the pecking order is quite vast I found. For example, your T&Cs aren’t generally as good as a trainee, and dictating to the trainers or management about what you will and won’t do is generally frowned up on.

Don’t get me wrong, no one would be expected to work to excess at home, but if you start putting down 30 mins here and there as overtime on timesheets, it may be suggested that when you get home from work 4hrs early from a spare shift several times a month, or take advantage of the white space on diagrams, that’s immoral, and you should in fact stay for your booked hours, as that’s what you’re paid for. Nobody is expected to work for free, but certainly as a trainee driver, there’s an element of expected at home working. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

I have to say it grates on me a bit, the attitude of some people going through the driver training process, and that’s coming from a driver who only passed out himself 15 or so months ago. Work ethic seems to have gone out the window in a lot of people. It’s surely questionable when new trainees join the industry and are disquieted because they’ve had to participate in an apprenticeship - apprenticeships which, by all accounts, I’m generally against for drivers as I’ve said previously.

I wonder how many people, at their DMI said they’d not be happy to do an apprenticeship, or raised the question about them?
I can’t believe they even have to do that now. I can only assume the several hundred thousand I hear some TOCs have allegedly received is the reason they have to go through this nonsense. I’d already been in the industry 14 years when I decided to apply for a trainee drivers position & would not have been impressed one bit. Those I speak to find the whole thing absolutely tedious.

Stigy

Established Member
I can’t believe they even have to do that now. I can only assume the several hundred thousand I hear some TOCs have allegedly received is the reason they have to go through this nonsense. I’d already been in the industry 14 years when I decided to apply for a trainee drivers position & would not have been impressed one bit. Those I speak to find the whole thing absolutely tedious.
That’s the thing though; as tedious as it is (because let’s face it, it isn’t beneficial to the trainees or their future, having a non-transferable qualification), those applying for trainee driver jobs aren’t really in a position to object. It is what it is, and if they don’t like it, hard luck. If I had to do it as a trainee I’d do it, without hesitation, because doing it and getting your key, is generally a far better option than objecting and making your life that little bit harder, or declining an offer of employment based on it and cutting your nose off to spite your face.

dk1

Veteran Member
That’s the thing though; as tedious as it is (because let’s face it, it isn’t beneficial to the trainees or their future, having a non-transferable qualification), those applying for trainee driver jobs aren’t really in a position to object. It is what it is, and if they don’t like it, hard luck. If I had to do it as a trainee I’d do it, without hesitation, because doing it and getting your key, is generally a far better option than objecting and making your life that little bit harder, or declining an offer of employment based on it and cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Oh I get that. I was asked at my interview if I would be prepared to be based at a depot 50 miles away & of course I said I would if that was the only way I’d get the job. I knew however that out of those joining already on the railway I was one of those with the longest service & that took priority over them & certainly those coming off the street so it was never going to come to that for me.

iwasyoungonce

If anything you are probably over-qualified. My ICT test were literary these 5 tasks:

Google something.
Design a menu in word or publisher. They give you all the text/logos/ pictures so pretty much a copy and paste job.
Open the excel spreadsheet and enter a formula to calculate the day's takings.
Attach that spreadsheet to an email and send an email.
Then there is a ''troubleshoot'' task. A question like The PC won't turn on what can you do? Answer: check the power lead and you will get full marks.

They give you 2 hours for that took me 50 mins. It's nothing crazy and I can't believe that is a C grade.

For the English is that kind of level again.

Also, the pass mark for all tests is around 60%!
Same as I did in my current role, looks like they use a standard format which can be shoe horned into any industry

Established Member

That’s part of what I find so irritating about it. It wont benefit the trainees one iota and, if anything, it’s an unnecessary distraction during rules.

dk1

Veteran Member
That’s part of what I find so irritating about it. It wont benefit the trainees one iota and, if anything, it’s an unnecessary distraction during rules.
It’s soul destroying. I do feel for them having to do it in their own time especially when it’s absolutely pointless. Stuff like that drives me nuts & I’m so grateful I’ve never had to suffer it.

Terry844

People say it’s pointless but say in 5 or 10 years time positions for qualified drivers are advertised with a requirement that the driver has the NVQ!

Established Member
People say it’s pointless but say in 5 or 10 years time positions for qualified drivers are advertised with a requirement that the driver has the NVQ!

They’ll want a clean record (or as close to it as possible). That’s *all* that matters.

To put it into perspective, I have 4As at A level, a degree in an academic subject and a professional qualification. That (rightly) didn’t help me get a driver traineeship.

When I moved TOCs they were also only interested in my safety of the line record. Quite rightly so because, after a few years in the grade, that’s the proof of the pudding as to how good you are at the job.

Terry844

They’ll want a clean record (or as close to it as possible). That’s *all* that matters.

To put it into perspective, I have 4As at A level, a degree in an academic subject and a professional qualification. That (rightly) didn’t help me get a driver traineeship.

When I moved TOCs they were also only interested in my safety of the line record. Quite rightly so because, after a few years in the grade, that’s the proof of the pudding as to how good you are at the job.
You have two candidates, both with similar times in position, both with immaculate records, both interviewed really well, 1 has the industry NVQ the other doesn’t who will you chose?

Established Member
You have two candidates, both with similar times in position, both with immaculate records, both interviewed really well, 1 has the industry NVQ the other doesn’t who will you chose?

I’d choose myself, probably. Not Very Qualified, yet doing the job for several years incident free…

Have to ask. Have you done the job yourself?!

SLee

I’d choose myself, probably. Not Very Qualified, yet doing the job for several years incident free…

Have to ask. Have you done the job yourself?!
He literally just said both candidates have the same experience other than one having the NVQ.

So to say you would choose yourself is based on being incident free doesn’t make sense as it implies the other guy isn’t?

Established Member
He literally just said both candidates have the same experience other than one having the NVQ.

So to say you would choose yourself is based on being incident free doesn’t make sense as it implies the other guy isn’t?

The NVQ (2 GCSEs?) is about as relevant to driving trains as my law degree, qualified solicitor status is/was.

I’ve been incident free for five years, doing the job, means a lot more than any qualifications.

I’ll ask again, have you driven a train in anger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.