• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
I'm undecided on this one. Are there such things as ghosts or is it people's imaginations and bizarre coincidences ?
For example class 47 no 47216/299 - was it a coincidence that somebody predicted it would be involved in an accident ?
Also mentioned in this thread is class 37 37069/D6769 yet I have never seen any reference to when or where it was involved in the accident which allegedly caused it to be haunted.
Another class 37, 37431 spent many years in and out of works with exactly the same fault recurring with its electrical equipment. Was it just a case of a fault that was never traced or was something paranormal involved.
And the same loco was involved in both the Hatfield and Great Heck accidents - 91023 (hence the reason it wasn't renumbered in sequence with the rest of the class). Again just a coincidence perhaps ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's right. It's a face of a man with a beard wearing some kind of hood. The picture was taking in one of the Snickelways in the Shambles.

To me I can see a complete seated figure that looks like Henry VIII ?

Getting back to the railways, very interesting to read that the Addiscome haunting has continued after the sheds were demolished.

PaulW

Also mentioned in this thread is class 37 37069/D6769 yet I have never seen any reference to when or where it was involved in the accident which allegedly caused it to be haunted.

A piece on wikipedia about this loco, that's all I've seen. It's still working on the mainline with staff working on it daily, yet there's been no mention anywhere about recent hunting's or owt like that...

So my conclusion is - Brush traction employs an exorcist!!

AndyJB

Though no first-hand experience of this myself, I was born in Bath and lived there until my early twenties.

Knew a chap who used to frequent the local station - he was somewhat older than most of the group and remembered the days when the S&D was still active and ran through Bath. He once claimed that he saw the ghost of a S&D freight train that ran away, and subsequently crashed, (resulting in at least one fatality) after it's crew were asphixicated in the Devonshire tunnel. He claimed that said ghost train repeats that journey on the anniversary, though didn't elaborate beyond that.

Historical records do indicate that the incident with said freight did occur though.

Last edited:

Kernowfem

Though no first-hand experience of this myself, I was born in Bath and lived there until my early twenties.

Knew a chap who used to frequent the local station - he was somewhat older than most of the group and remembered the days when the S&D was still active and ran through Bath. He once claimed that he saw the ghost of a S&D freight train that ran away, and subsequently crashed, (resulting in at least one fatality) after it's crew were asphixicated in the Devonshire tunnel. He claimed that said ghost train repeats that journey on the anniversary, though didn't elaborate beyond that.

Historical records do indicate that the incident with said freight did occur though.

Interesting stuff Andy, thanks for sharing :)

Hi, newbie here, but some of you may know me from the WNXX forum.

Anyway, brilliant thread, some truly great stories. Have enjoyed reading all of them, especially those posted by Old Timer.

Here's one of my own stories which may be of interest.

My uncle works for Citylink Telecommuncations Ltd and is part of a team responsible for replacing and managing the radio and transmission services for the entire Tube network on the London Underground. One day, whilst performing a routine track inspection along the District line, his team came across as a door inside one of the tunnels which, when opened, revealed a room. The strangest thing about this room was that it was completely white. It had no windows, no secondary exits, nothing. Just a white room.

However, in the centre of this room there was a man dressed in a black suit, sat at a small table with a laptop. My uncle, who had opened the door, dismissed the man, thinking that he either worked for the government or worked for another firm and was perhaps monitoring something on his laptop, so my uncle said "oh, sorry mate" and closed the door again. Shortly after this, his team reached the end of their track inspection and promptly radioed the line manager who asked them to "return to base" so to speak. My uncle happened to mention to the line manager that they had seen a man with a laptop inside a room. The line manager, who had no knowledge of there being a "white room" in the tunnel, replied that they were the only people authorised to be in that section and that nobody else should be down there, so they turned round and walked back towards the door. When they opened the door again, both the table and the man with the laptop had disappeared, without a trace. Confused, the team returned to base and the line manager, having spent a great deal of time making full enquiries to the relevant people, could not find an explanation as to why another person may have been down there. My uncle noted that if the person had left the room, they would have heard the door open or at least seen them walking along the track, as their track inspection had ended only a short distance away from where the door was.

Whether this was a ghost, a secret FBI agent or something else, my uncle will never know. One thing's for sure, the man was never seen again and he would have HAD to head back towards where the line manager was stationed, who had not seen a single person for the duration of the line inspection.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hi, newbie here, but some of you may know me from the WNXX forum.

Anyway, brilliant thread, some truly great stories. Have enjoyed reading all of them, especially those posted by Old Timer.

Here's one of my own stories which may be of interest.

My uncle works for Citylink Telecommuncations Ltd and is part of a team responsible for replacing and managing the radio and transmission services for the entire Tube network on the London Underground. One day, whilst performing a routine track inspection along the District line, his team came across as a door inside one of the tunnels which, when opened, revealed a room. The strangest thing about this room was that it was completely white. It had no windows, no secondary exits, nothing. Just a white room.

However, in the centre of this room there was a man dressed in a black suit, sat at a small table with a laptop. My uncle, who had opened the door, dismissed the man, thinking that he either worked for the government or worked for another firm and was perhaps monitoring something on his laptop, so my uncle said "oh, sorry mate" and closed the door again. Shortly after this, his team reached the end of their track inspection and promptly radioed the line manager who asked them to "return to base" so to speak. My uncle happened to mention to the line manager that they had seen a man with a laptop inside a room. The line manager, who had no knowledge of there being a "white room" in the tunnel, replied that they were the only people authorised to be in that section and that nobody else should be down there, so they turned round and walked back towards the door. When they opened the door again, both the table and the man with the laptop had disappeared, without a trace. Confused, the team returned to base and the line manager, having spent a great deal of time making full enquiries to the relevant people, could not find an explanation as to why another person may have been down there. My uncle noted that if the person had left the room, they would have heard the door open or at least seen them walking along the track, as their track inspection had ended only a short distance away from where the door was.

Whether this was a ghost, a secret FBI agent or something else, my uncle will never know. One thing's for sure, the man was never seen again and he would have HAD to head back towards where the line manager was stationed, who had not seen a single person for the duration of the line inspection.

Last edited:

The Decapod

From Wikipedia entry on Class 47 diesel locmotives I happened to find this recently:

A clairvoyant contacted BR saying they believed that a locomotive numbered 47216 would be involved in a serious accident. Surprisingly, BR renumbered the loco 47299 in response - but on 9th December 1983 it was involved in a fatal accident in Lincolnshire despite the renumbering.

Oops - I've just noticed this was mentioned in an earlier post - but it is very spooky so I'll leave my post up too.

Last edited:

Nice & spooky.I know there are many concealed rooms behind tuneels etc in central London underground (not tube underground) areas, people claim to hear voiuces etc, maybe an exit door (from which the sppoky man left) was hidden, or possibly a hidden exit via the floor? Do you mkind me asking when and where this was? Thanks, mate, one of the best stories on here :D

Thanks for saying so, nice to know you enjoyed reading it. I'll do some digging, will have to ask my uncle where it was (if he can remember!)

fsmr

Stick 37069 on the front of said special service and you kill two bids with one stone: Spooky goings on and decent haulage! :D

Along with double headxer with Nimbus and you really would have a ghost train
I read somehere that it had been recorded by a spotter near Hadley the day after it was scrapped
Anyone else heard of this, i know it is supposed to have been seen a few times since
There is also the ghost train that gets seen with all its carriage lights on running along the long abbandoned Leicester to Rugby line (not the GCR) near Ullesthorpe where it crossed the A5
I find the whole mechanical apparition thing fascinating. WW2 planes retracing their routes for instance are another.
The Wellington bomber is a famous one that appears from time to time following the Central Wales line along the river Towy near Llangadog
When tourists turn up at the local shops asking if there is an air display on see it with no previous knowledge of the subject it just make the whole thing even more intriguing.

Dont forget Privet tunnel on the old Meon valley line, one of many thought to be haunted by either their builders or lost employees

Kernowfem

Along with double headxer with Nimbus and you really would have a ghost train
I read somehere that it had been recorded by a spotter near Hadley the day after it was scrapped
Anyone else heard of this, i know it is supposed to have been seen a few times since
There is also the ghost train that gets seen with all its carriage lights on running along the long abbandoned Leicester to Rugby line (not the GCR) near Ullesthorpe where it crossed the A5
I find the whole mechanical apparition thing fascinating. WW2 planes retracing their routes for instance are another.
The Wellington bomber is a famous one that appears from time to time following the Central Wales line along the river Towy near Llangadog
When tourists turn up at the local shops asking if there is an air display on see it with no previous knowledge of the subject it just make the whole thing even more intriguing.

Dont forget Privet tunnel on the old Meon valley line, one of many thought to be haunted by either their builders or lost employees

Sadly the nimbus story turned out to be fake....It was published in Herberts railway ghosts and phantoms, but it turned out to be false. I think its mentioned early on in this thread :)

fsmr

Sadly the nimbus story turned out to be fake....It was published in Herberts railway ghosts and phantoms, but it turned out to be false. I think its mentioned early on in this thread :)

Oh sorry will have a read back
It is amazing (or not) how imagination aetc can run away with things and these storries develop
Some years ago, i was riding a bike with my 9 year old son through the disused tunnel on the old Brampton valley line cycle way south of Market Harborough
Without lights, it was a bit gloomy in the middle despite the council putting refelective strips on the wall and TBH it was quite unnerving despite having the family dog with us
Right in the middle we heard a two tone loco horn and the sound of a 125 in the distance getting louder, then the noise started to get closer and we could hear this whiring noise, we were pushing the bikes at this point and instinctivly went for a refuge in the wall, we could see a yellowish light getting closer and closer, even the dog stated to growl, then!!

This old guy went past on a bike with a dynamo
and the 125, it was on the main line and the sound amplified into the tunnel mouth i guess:roll:
doh!:oops::oops:

6S83

Another class 37, 37431 spent many years in and out of works with exactly the same fault recurring with its electrical equipment. Was it just a case of a fault that was never traced or was something paranormal involved?

Interesting one about 37431, it suffered from a succession of traction motor flashovers, a pal of mine worked at Immingham at the time and if I recall correctly either IM or Donny works changed almost everything relating to it, motors (bogie swap,) TM cables, LVDT and possibly even the alternator and rectifier too, but it still kept happening. I assume this was the cause of its eventual withdrawal?
Probably nowt paranormal and more of a "Friday afternoon" job somewhere.

Kernowfem

It is amazing (or not) how imagination aetc can run away with things and these storries develop
Some years ago, i was riding a bike with my 9 year old son through the disused tunnel on the old Brampton valley line cycle way south of Market Harborough
Without lights, it was a bit gloomy in the middle despite the council putting refelective strips on the wall and TBH it was quite unnerving despite having the family dog with us
Right in the middle we heard a two tone loco horn and the sound of a 125 in the distance getting louder, then the noise started to get closer and we could hear this whiring noise, we were pushing the bikes at this point and instinctivly went for a refuge in the wall, we could see a yellowish light getting closer and closer, even the dog stated to growl, then!!

and the 125, it was on the main line and the sound amplified into the tunnel mouth i guess:roll:

Had i been the one in that tunnel i dare say i would have needed a clean change of underwear!!!
Theres the Withcall tunnel on the old louth to bardney line thats said to be haunted, but then there are multiple haunting stories linked to that particular line. Its a lovely walk (where the trackbed is still in place) but the former Hallington station has a real eerie-ness about it a night!

fsmr

Had i been the one in that tunnel i dare say i would have needed a clean change of underwear!!!
Theres the Withcall tunnel on the old louth to bardney line thats said to be haunted, but then there are multiple haunting stories linked to that particular line. Its a lovely walk (where the trackbed is still in place) but the former Hallington station has a real eerie-ness about it a night!

LOL

I have walked many abandoned tunnels in my youth in the late 70s and 80s
One, on the old GNR line at Scraptoft near Leicester was bizzare as you get part way in and there is no exit, just soil up to the roof. On top, the other side of the ridge is just a huge field rolling into the distance where , with binos, you can just make out the course of the old line picked up in the distance, the whole East portal and cutting and then embankmnet over the valley was bulldozed level.
Not sure if its bricked up on the West portal now but its wasnt in 81
Hose tunnel is also a creapy place under Brock hill, again on the old GNR north of Melton. Doesnt mean its haunted though of course although bet bo one would stay there at midnight on halloween

Great story.:)

Kernowfem

That lobster link is a bit random or am i missing something

His majesty CS is the thread sceptic fsmr. The whole tree lobster thing is NOT in relation to the thread but its his not so subtle way of saying that ghosts dont exist and we are all irrational for thinking that they possibly could......:D:D:D

Come on CS...its just a bit of fun. Lets not forget its the run up to hallowen now, get in the spirit of things ;);)

CosherB

Established Member
Indeed Kernowfem. Just a bit of fun, and there's no harm in a good ghost story. Just as long as folk don't actually abondon reason and go believing these things actually exist! :D

Kernowfem

Indeed Kernowfem. Just a bit of fun, and there's no harm in a good ghost story. Just as long as folk don't actually abondon reason and go believing these things actually exist! :D

But they COULD exist.....no proof as of yet that they dont....just as theres no proof yet that they do.

I'll sit on the fence for now if you dont mind CS......;);)

The 158 Man

CS, please stop preaching like some desperate clergyman trying to save his parishoners from the devil.

That really made me laugh! :lol:

Hopefully this thread will never die! :p

I wish I had some tales to tell, but I don't.....yet.

jimrbrobinson

OK, so, hopefully someone will be able to elaborate on this, and tell whether there's any truth to it. I was told this story a few years ago (between 1999 and 2001) by a resident in a care home I worked at who was en ex-railway man.

He told me that no trains are permitted to ever pass through the Standedge Tunnels near Huddersfield travelling eastwards between 10:05 and 10:15 at night, ever. The reason was that strange things had happened to trains in the tunnels between these times. Namely that all electric lights, and previously even gas / paraffin lamps, always extinguished shortly after entering the tunnel, and the train would mysteriously feel like it's trying to slow or stop. The enginemen always had to fight the controls in the dark to keep the train moving, as they always felt an instinct that if the train stopped then something terrible would happen. This only ever happened when trains were travelling eastwards in the tunnel between five-past-ten and quarter-past-ten at night. After numerous incidents over the years, British Rail management declared a moratorium on such movements between those times in the mid to late 1980s, and as no train has ever passed through between those times since, no further incidents have ever been reported. The old man told me that there had been records throughout the time of the nationalised railways of these incident occurring, and some records from before nationalisation, but it wasn't until (for him) relatively recently that the reports were taken seriously, and BR issued the moratorium on such movements.

I've checked several times and never found anything written about this on-line. I'd actually forgotten it until I recently took a trip to York from Manchester and passed through the tunnel and the memory came back to me of my old resident.

Status
Not open for further replies.