• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviebuk

Hi guys, am new on here. I have my first assessment day at Swiss Cottage next Thursday. Can anyone tell me who has already been through the process what to expect exactly. What tests are done on the first assessment day and which ones are done on the second day. StevieBuk I believe you have been through the process. Any advice/info from you or anyone in the know would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Trainee Driver – FAQs
What are the key requirements?
  • Aged over 20 years and 6 months at time of application
  • Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments in the last 6 months
  • Must not have failed any Train Driver assessments more than twice
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Be able to meet the required medical standards including (but not limited to) eyesight, hearing, height and testing for drugs and alcohol
How long can I expect to wait for a decision on my application?
The role of a Trainee Driver is highly sought-after and because of this, we receive an exceptionally high number of applications. We have a lengthy shortlisting and assessment process which means it can take some time for us to get back to you. As soon as we have assessed your application, we will contact you by email immediately. The time for this varies from 2 weeks up to 4 months.

What happens during the recruitment process?
1. Initial application shortlisting
  • Firstly we will check if you live within the specified time from the depot
  • We will then check your previous train driver assessment history. If you have failed any assessment twice or within the last 6 months, you will not be eligible for shortlisting.
2. Assessments and Interview
We currently work to a four stage recruitment process:

You will undergo a variety of assessments based on the following competency areas:

• Attention
  • Vigilance
  • Memory
  • Reasoning
  • Perception
  • Reaction time
  • Hand co-ordination
We will send out practice materials of these assessments in advance of you having to take the assessment. You are required to pass all assessments.

Stage 1 assessments
You will need to pass all 4 assessments in order to progress to Stage 2:

• Group Bourdon
  • Driver Fault Finding Test
  • Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment
  • Bespoke Situational Judgement Test
Stage 2 assessments
You will need to pass 10 assessments in order to progress to Stage 3 some of which include:

• Trainability for Rules and Procedures Part 1 (TRP1)
  • Trainability for Rules and Procedures Part 2 (TRP2)
  • WAFV
  • ATAVT
  • 2HAND
  • Bespoke Visual Search Exercise (VSE)
  • Situational Judgement Exercise / Multi Modal Interview (SJE/MMI)
Stage 3
You will complete a personality assessment and be invited to attend an interview with the Line Manager. This is a competency based interview that explores your suitability for the role of a train driver.

Stage 4
You need to pass all these checks in order to be successful in obtaining the role:

• Undergo a train driver medical including ECG
  • Criminal record check
  • Employment reference verification
  • Immigration checks
Its all on their web site...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash7

Not really what I was looking for. Thanks for the time and effort of copy and paste.

Saracen_83

The answers are in that message mate, I was in the first day a mo th or so back, and the tests are the bourdon, tea-occ or tones/phonebook test, situational judgement test and a driver fault finder test (mechanical comprehension test)....

All straight forward and if you read the Information that they sent you it is basically that!!!

Good luck

Last edited:

theking

Not really what I was looking for. Thanks for the time and effort of copy and paste.

What else was you expecting the answers to the tests?

The guys posted what tests there are on the first and second day because you couldn't be bothered to read the email you got from arriva.

My days people on this forum want spoon feeding.

Ash7

Who said I didn't read the email?
Ofcourse I read the email thoroughly! No point in continuing this pointless convo. All I know is if I had gone through the process and someone asked the question I did, I would have been a lot more helpful.

steviebuk

Other than sitting the test for you, I can’t be of anymore help! I’ve just sourced and outlined the whole process start to finish for you.

Saracen_83

I can’t see what more information you need????? All outlined in email and above.... unless you have specific questions??

zambo01

Ofcourse I read the email thoroughly! No point in continuing this pointless convo. All I know is if I had gone through the process and someone asked the question I did, I would have been a lot more helpful.

Ash, I also sat (and passed) the first day assessments in January.
That “copy and paste” job is the very same information that we all had before attending - and alongside the practice material sent out with the invite - is pretty much all we had to prepare ourselves. So, you can understand why some people become a little bit annoyed that you want more, it can almost come across as though you specifically want them to answer stuff for you!

Anyway,
1) The Group Bourdon Test is a standard test. You can find an application on this forum (I don’t have the link) that prints off example sheets and allows you to practice.
The GBT is a paper and pencil test, so probably better to do it that way when practising.
2) The Driver Fault Finding Test is literally identical to the ones you get with the practice material. If you can get to grips with the practice pack, you’ll be okay with the test on the day.
3) The TEAOCC is a bit trickier to practice for. Essentially you’ll do three ‘tests’. For us, the first part was a sort of attention test, listening to tones and counting them (With some distraction), the second part was visual search and then the third part brought them both together - so you do a visual search whilst listening to tones.
The practice material suggests getting someone to read an excerpt of text and you counting a certain word as they say it - at the same time it gets you to do a visual search. I think that’s a pretty close recreation of the actual test. If you can get that down, you’ll probably be okay.
4) The SJT is effectively a psychometric questionnaire. Not sure you can really prepare for these, just go with your gut on the day and you’ll hopefully be okay.

Good luck with your assessment day. Don’t be disheartened when you get negative replies on here, just have a bit more understanding and you’ll be fine. A lot of people here have put in a hell of a lot of hard work and devoted a lot of their free time to prepare for their assessments off their own back. They are understandably going to feel a bit aggrieved when people expect them to just spill everything that they worked hard to find out and achieve on their own!

baz962

Established Member
Ash, I also sat (and passed) the first day assessments in January.
That “copy and paste” job is the very same information that we all had before attending - and alongside the practice material sent out with the invite - is pretty much all we had to prepare ourselves. So, you can understand why some people become a little bit annoyed that you want more, it can almost come across as though you specifically want them to answer stuff for you!

Anyway,
1) The Group Bourdon Test is a standard test. You can find an application on this forum (I don’t have the link) that prints off example sheets and allows you to practice.
The GBT is a paper and pencil test, so probably better to do it that way when practising.
2) The Driver Fault Finding Test is literally identical to the ones you get with the practice material. If you can get to grips with the practice pack, you’ll be okay with the test on the day.
3) The TEAOCC is a bit trickier to practice for. Essentially you’ll do three ‘tests’. For us, the first part was a sort of attention test, listening to tones and counting them (With some distraction), the second part was visual search and then the third part brought them both together - so you do a visual search whilst listening to tones.
The practice material suggests getting someone to read an excerpt of text and you counting a certain word as they say it - at the same time it gets you to do a visual search. I think that’s a pretty close recreation of the actual test. If you can get that down, you’ll probably be okay.
4) The SJT is effectively a psychometric questionnaire. Not sure you can really prepare for these, just go with your gut on the day and you’ll hopefully be okay.

Good luck with your assessment day. Don’t be disheartened when you get negative replies on here, just have a bit more understanding and you’ll be fine. A lot of people here have put in a hell of a lot of hard work and devoted a lot of their free time to prepare for their assessments off their own back. They are understandably going to feel a bit aggrieved when people expect them to just spill everything that they worked hard to find out and achieve on their own!

Not to mention that other than what Stevie posted off the link, it is not much to add, and to be honest, you either can do them or not, Still practice as it might be the difference between just failing or passing, and the other point about helping is , with the psychometrics you just cant, it is individual ability, and if you failed you might get upset at some percieved wrong or bad advice.

Ash7

Zambo01 I really appreciate you taking the time to post. I understand what you are saying and believe me I have researched and read through everything that I was sent as I'm sure everyone on here has. I was just looking for a bit of info/advice from someone that has been through what I am going to face, which you have kindly done. I just know that if I had been through it I would post a message similar to the one you have posted. Don't really understand the hostilities, was just looking for a reply pretty much like the one you sent. Anyway zambo once again thank you for taking the time to go into the detail you did and congrats for getting past the first assessment. Good luck for the rest of it.

GreenSignal

I'd wish you luck, but you appear to know it all anyway.
Do let the forum know how far you make it

Ash7

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you

baz962

Established Member
How much do your scores from these assessments contribute to the final outcome for an offer?
I dont think anyone other than Arriva would know that. If your scores are high enough then you still gotta shine in the interview.

London 10101

The scores should make a difference. I read on the forums if you are in the talent pool, they usually pick the highest scorers first.

baz962

Established Member
The scores should make a difference. I read on the forums if you are in the talent pool, they usually pick the highest scorers first.

Maybe they do, but like I said only Arriva will know if they do, they told me at dmi that we only take the highest of scores, enhanced and that anyone sitting in front of us having an interview have very good scores.

London 10101

Maybe they do, but like I said only Arriva will know if they do, they told me at dmi that we only take the highest of scores, enhanced and that anyone sitting in front of us having an interview have very good scores.

Ah, I see. I am just curious now if anyone has failed the dmi considering they have a high score already.

baz962

Established Member
Baz, any idea of how many there are recruiting for this vacancy?

Not sure, I just tried looking I thought it was posted up thread. I thought it was originally four courses of eight to ten on each, but someone said somewhere they are considering taking on more now, about the best I can come up with but could be way out.

JoDo

I passed out in October and on a recent unannounced ride out with my manager last week..he told me due to predicted retirement numbers they are looking to recruit 38drivers a year for the next 3yrs..so looks like there will b plenty of recruiting to cum..

London 10101

I passed out in October and on a recent unannounced ride out with my manager last week..he told me due to predicted retirement numbers they are looking to recruit 38drivers a year for the next 3yrs..so looks like there will b plenty of recruiting to cum..
38 a year! That is a alot.

Rmh123

Hi just been to the second stage assessment today...... I passed all the required tests so now just waiting for mmi results now. Anyone know how long it will take to get mmi results through?

London 10101

Hi just been to the second stage assessment today...... I passed all the required tests so now just waiting for mmi results now. Anyone know how long it will take to get mmi results through?
Should be the next day according to the thread. Do you think you did the mmi well?

Status
Not open for further replies.