• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B

Hi all, was offered a trainee drivers course in March this year for Shrewsbury. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I had to turn it down but asked to be kept in talent pool. Does anybody have the number for recruitment please as I haven't heard anything yet?
I'm suspecting I've been put at the bottom of the pile, or even taken out as I had to turn a course down .
I'm hoping not though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nj82

Hi @Peter B - I don’t have a contact number as it appears they have had a slight change in their process recently but the email is [email protected] - hope this helps....
Not in for Shrewsbury but awaiting a response after the initial telephone interview....
Any tips on the questioning and structure of the face2face interview if I am indeed lucky enough to have progressed?
Cheers

craigybagel

Established Member
Hi all, was offered a trainee drivers course in March this year for Shrewsbury. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I had to turn it down but asked to be kept in talent pool. Does anybody have the number for recruitment please as I haven't heard anything yet?
I'm suspecting I've been put at the bottom of the pile, or even taken out as I had to turn a course down .
I'm hoping not though

I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of people have been in your position and they've still been offered places on later courses

Peter B

I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of people have been in your position and they've still been offered places on later courses
Thank you for replying craigybagel (great name), much appreciated. Fingers crossed
I can't find a number to speak to anyone for love nor money & they don't reply to emails. Very frustrating.

Bikkushii

Is there any news on when there will be drivers in Crewe needed?
I'm in the conductor talent pool, so hoping that if maybe a few current guards are in the driver pool, they may push them to the courses and open a few guard positions lol

Jamie Price

I'm in the conductor talent pool, so hoping that if maybe a few current guards are in the driver pool, they may push them to the courses and open a few guard positions lol
Good luck to you mate, I've just started conductor training in Chester. Currently 2 groups of trainee drivers along with us conductors. I believe there will be plenty of courses next year which should release guards who make it onto the driver course. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long!

craigybagel

Established Member
Thank you for replying craigybagel (great name), much appreciated. Fingers crossed
I can't find a number to speak to anyone for love nor money & they don't reply to emails. Very frustrating.

Could always try ringing up head office and asking to be put through to recruitment? Unfortunately I don't have the number either I'm afraid, all my dealings were through email with someone who no longer works in that department.

Good luck to you mate, I've just started conductor training in Chester. Currently 2 groups of trainee drivers along with us conductors. I believe there will be plenty of courses next year which should release guards who make it onto the driver course. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long!

Very good question. Currently 2 guards at Crewe waiting to go driving. Not sure about when that is likely to be, there's already a lot of trainee drivers for Crewe at various stages in the pipe line as Jamie mentioned - but there are courses planned back to back for both grades through to next year and beyond so fingers crossed there will be movements soon. Best advice as frustrating as it is is to try not to think about it too much - start dates are rarely predictable and there's not much you can do in the meantime. Rest assured that when the day does come, it's well worth the wait!

Davamer23

Hi all, the long journey through the process is all but complete for me, I passed assessments last week and my medical today. Im hopefully starting a course in Cardiff in December: I’m unbelievably chuffed. Thanks all who have advice and tips. Diolch

Nj82

Hi all, the long journey through the process is all but complete for me, I passed assessments last week and my medical today. Im hopefully starting a course in Cardiff in December: I’m unbelievably chuffed. Thanks all who have advice and tips. Diolch

@Davamer23 - we’ll done and congrats!!!

Can I ask when was it that you applied?

Davamer23

@Davamer23 - we’ll done and congrats!!!

Can I ask when was it that you applied?
Thankyou, I applied in January for a February closing date. I was held for assessment after face to face because they had no assessment dates available yet. I was offered a date for assessment in September but I had a long time prebooked holiday so I then went last Wednesday for those. I heard the next day that I had passed.

Nj82

Thankyou, I applied in January for a February closing date. I was held for assessment after face to face because they had no assessment dates available yet. I was offered a date for assessment in September but I had a long time prebooked holiday so I then went last Wednesday for those. I heard the next day that I had passed.

Thanks for updating me @Davamer23.....

I originally applied in Feb and just wanted to gauge possible timelines. Albeit, I’m not naive enough to think that these are likely to vary depending on their operational priorities etc so -
It at least it gives some indication though - cheers for that....
Got any insight to the F2F and what to expect?

Ive had the telephone interview and just waiting to hear.

I understand it’s F2F next then the psychometric tests/assessment, medical then offer is that chronology correct?

sw1ller

Established Member

I originally applied in Feb and just wanted to gauge possible timelines. Albeit, I’m not naive enough to think that these are likely to vary depending on their operational priorities etc so -

I understand it’s F2F next then the psychometric tests/assessment, medical then offer is that chronology correct?

That’s how I did it and I’m almost positive that’s how the last intake did it too. Just take it all one step at a time and don’t get ahead of yourself. Prepare for the stage you’re at. Good luck.

Davamer23

Be prepared to elaborate on your answers from the telephone interview. Why you want the role,what you know about the day in the life of a driver. Also have examples of instances when.... you had to concentrate for a long period of time whilst there was a distraction.
A time you worked as part of a team to achieve a specific goal. Etc etc.

It can be work related examples or non work related.
Read the job description and try to think of examples that show relevant transferable skills to that of a driver but don’t make anything up, only use genuine examples you think exhibit what they are asking for.
Use the STAR method. Situation,Task,Actions,Result.
Chronology is correct, focus on getting through each bit though, I didn’t get ahead of myself.
Try to be calm and concise and good luck.

Last edited:

Robbie88

Hey recently passed the assessment centre and currently waiting to undertake my medical on December the 4th. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Subject to passing the medical I'm booked on the January 6th course! Anyone else on the same cardiff course?

Nj82

Hey recently passed the assessment centre and currently waiting to undertake my medical on December the 4th. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Subject to passing the medical I'm booked on the January 6th course! Anyone else on the same cardiff course?

Hi @Robbie88 - Well done!
Currently I’m awaiting response for telephone interview atm...when did you apply originally?
Are you in with @Davamer23 maybe??
Which depot are you in for?
It was mentioned that a course was starting in December but I am yet to hear

Robbie88

Thank you @Nj82, I applied back in February and didn't hear anything till end of September time.
I'm in for Cardiff depot. Yes there's a course running in December.
How did you feel the telephone interview went?

Nj82

Thank you @Nj82, I applied back in February and didn't hear anything till end of September time.
I'm in for Cardiff depot. Yes there's a course running in December.
How did you feel the telephone interview went?

I also applied in Feb and heard the same time as you at end September....

Also Cardiff depot....

When you have the telephone interview? Mine was 11th October and still awaiting notification of outcome.

How long did it take for you to get a response?
I assume you’ve been through the F2F and psychometric tests etc too then?

The telephone interview went well....got across what I wanted, essential points etc and had great feedback at the end whilst on the phone too...the wait goes on.

Robbie88

I had mine on the 7th of October, then had my f2f on the 25th of October then my assessment centre was last Wednesday 13th November.
I had a response from my telephone Interview around 10 days after.
I would drop the recruitment team an email and ask for any updates.

Nj82

I had mine on the 7th of October, then had my f2f on the 25th of October then my assessment centre was last Wednesday 13th November.

Ah right - yeah I’ve emailed already so still waiting......

Portal is still the same currently too...I’ll take no news as good news though lol

BDHL

well done mate, I was on the same assessment day as you, was wondering how you got on, glad to hear you passed

Ben

BDHL

Hi mate, yeah same was wondering how you got off as well. I'm guessing you passed?

Yes mate!! start date 6th January depending on medical and references.

Davamer23

Well done Robbie and Ben! I’m starting 9th December, I think I had the last spot on that course but there is one a month till next November apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.