• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leavesontrack

I knew straight away that I hadnt done well. Oh well it was a good experience esp I had never done a phone interview before

RadioFlyer2

Yeah mate don't worry about it it was your first ever telephone interview and as you say you knew it didn't go well, you panicked and didn't look at your notes etc. All things for next time mate, don't give up keep going. You will be calmer next time, have your notes to hand and feel more relaxed now that you know what's expected of you. Chin up kid!

richfoz84

Mine was Tuesday for Crewe. I was in work so when the phone went I dashed outside and sat in my car, where I had my notes. I did drop key words but felt i waffled on. Still no update for me yet..

Leavesontrack

Yeah mate don't worry about it it was your first ever telephone interview and as you say you knew it didn't go well, you panicked and didn't look at your notes etc. All things for next time mate, don't give up keep going. You will be calmer next time, have your notes to hand and feel more relaxed now that you know what's expected of you. Chin up kid!

Cheers for that. Hate knowing I could have done better. Now will prob have 2 wait another couple of years for another chance

sw1ller

Established Member
Cheers for that. Hate knowing I could have done better. Now will prob have 2 wait another couple of years for another chance

I doubt it’ll be that long. There’s 3 courses starting before February in Chester alone, and there just the ones I’m aware of.

Spiderman1

I managed to get through telephone interview again, this time for Cardiff. Now to try and do one better than last time and get through face to face interview on Wednesday!
The last interview was one of the toughest i've ever had and i've had a few in my time!
Good luck to everybody.

Leavesontrack

I managed to get through telephone interview again, this time for Cardiff. Now to try and do one better than last time and get through face to face interview on Wednesday!
The last interview was one of the toughest i've ever had and i've had a few in my time!
Good luck to everybody.
why so tough??

I managed to screw up interview, was so nervous. I know i didnt talk that much about safety.. thats what cost me

Last edited:

Leavesontrack

no just generic....

- Preparation for the telephone interview, including research in to our company (especially the new Franchise)
- Understanding of the role and motivation for applying
- Key skills and experience relevant to the position

sw1ller

Established Member
Have a couple of good question for them too. Not, how much holiday and pay do we get, try to get a little technical without sounding like a spotter. Make yourself memorable.

Leavesontrack

Have a couple of good question for them too. Not, how much holiday and pay do we get, try to get a little technical without sounding like a spotter. Make yourself memorable.

cheers, did ask them a question... how was it under the new franchise?? Same as before he said, whats a good question?? How many had they interviewd before me?

sw1ller

Established Member
I can’t answer them questions, what is a good question IS a good question though.

I asked about something very specific to the franchise I’d researched, something we are developing that’s important to the company. They seemed impressed but I only knew about it as 2 years before during a failed interview, they asked me if I knew about it and I didn’t.

Sorry to be vague, but it’s worth an ask at your local station, ask a driver or guard what’s unique about the company and try and do as much research about it, then work out a question you know the answer to, but sounds good. It’s hard to explain is this, but I hope you get my gist.

baz962

Established Member
In my dmi I made sure I asked questions , as I do not like to say that I cannot think of anything. I asked what football teams they supported , if any , I asked them did they still enjoy working for the company and on the railway and if I wanted to progress in the future , what are the possibilities . Good luck.

Firestarter

In my dmi I made sure I asked questions , as I do not like to say that I cannot think of anything. I asked what football teams they supported , if any , I asked them did they still enjoy working for the company and on the railway and if I wanted to progress in the future , what are the possibilities . Good luck.

In case you can’t think of anything to say on day do you reckon it would be a good idea if you wrote the questions you want to ask down on a note and produce the note at the end or would that be bad form?

Spiderman1

Did you manage to actually get feedback??
No I didn't get any feedback apart from look at STAR acronym when answering questions, which I thought I had.

I found it tough due to no engagement with interviewers at all, it was very dry and felt uncomfortable. I guess this could have been deliberate though.

142Pilot

Ask about training and development prospects. Always a solid question.

If you think you have done well ask about timescales of the next aspect of the process.

baz962

Established Member
In case you can’t think of anything to say on day do you reckon it would be a good idea if you wrote the questions you want to ask down on a note and produce the note at the end or would that be bad form?

I cannot be sure , personally I would not tho .

mr double 77

Just my opinion, but I was recently interviewed, and I did this, and the HR and Driver Manager said it was good, because they are always getting people in interviews who forget to ask such questions. Look at it this way, what would you rather forget because you think the question has been answered during interview, but it actually never, so then you ask and it shows your interest in future developments regarding the company.

baz962

Established Member
Im not saying you should not , just I personally would not . I would wing it or revise it . As a trainee driver , it is a long and intensive course and a great attribute is learning and remembering , you wont get to pull out your notes in final assessment. However , like I said it is just my preference and you do whatever you need to.

Leavesontrack

No I didn't get any feedback apart from look at STAR acronym when answering questions, which I thought I had.

I found it tough due to no engagement with interviewers at all, it was very dry and felt uncomfortable. I guess this could have been deliberate though.

Agree with this, they asked a question such as 'What do you think a drivers typical day is?' read from cue card, read badly I might add.. not excellent communication skills there (sour grapes eh)

Away I went, rambling on... but without any real substance... Min I paused for breath they asked the next question. It was really tough, esp Im awful on phones.
Made me realise how nervous (which I suppose isnt a good trait for a train driver) I was and how much I wanted the job. Will know for next time.
I was really gutted not too make it through, but will use this as motivation and commitment to the career change.

Good luck to all... please share what happens if you made it through to Face to Face interviews

Last edited:

Edix3x2

Hi,

I also applied for trainee train driver and I had my phone interview on Tuesday. I am applying for Crewe.
Has anyone heard anything yet? Not had any email yet and the website hasn't been updated either.
Really nerve-wracking waiting for the results...

good luck to everyone else who applied.

BraneSirJin

Hi,

I also applied for trainee train driver and I had my phone interview on Tuesday. I am applying for Crewe.
Has anyone heard anything yet? Not had any email yet and the website hasn't been updated either.
Really nerve-wracking waiting for the results...

good luck to everyone else who applied.
Same as pal. No news is good news?

RadioFlyer2

Same here I've not heard anything either and they said the interviews would be 30th/31st so they are cutting it fine like aren't they

snowdonwhite

Hi all,

first time poster., lurking in the shadows

Well I heard that I was Unsuccessful after telephone interview... gutted.

I froze completley during interview. Panicked, had notes but didnt look at them. Bang goes my chances of a different career.

It was an odd one, the guys interviewing seemed as nervous as me, reading from cue cards esp after 2 days of new franchise. Completley balled it up, forgot to mention key words...

Anyone succesfull?? Any motivating examples that it can be done??
There will be other opportunities mate - I am sure. At least you know what you did wrong! I had a on-line video to do for Virgin Trains, lost where I was, swore badly and then realised I could not re-record it. So i thought I had screwed up too.......but I got called forward for an interview! Didn't get the job, but learnt from my c**kup!

Never give up.....learn from your mistakes and best of luck next time.

You mention that you found out via the come aboard site, what does it say on yours? On mine all it says against my application is "Application Update (Ref: USLE)" - not heard anything else so far......

Leavesontrack

There will be other opportunities mate - I am sure. At least you know what you did wrong! I had a on-line video to do for Virgin Trains, lost where I was, swore badly and then realised I could not re-record it. So i thought I had screwed up too.......but I got called forward for an interview! Didn't get the job, but learnt from my c**kup!

Never give up.....learn from your mistakes and best of luck next time.

You mention that you found out via the come aboard site, what does it say on yours? On mine all it says against my application is "Application Update (Ref: USLE)" - not heard anything else so far......

Cheers for that...

Under status it says Unsuccessful after telephone interview – (external)

Cutting it fine as Inerviews are wednesday. On-line video sounds like a nightmare. How did your phone interview go??

richfoz84

My status still says Submitted.

My previous attempt where i didn’t get a phone interview says USLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.