• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorvernRob

Did they ask you what you knew about the company?
If so what kind of depths are we talking like a few basic facts or do they probe it further?

Just learn and memorise as much as you can. You can never tell them too much, but you could tell them too little and sound disinterested.

I had an interview with Northern earlier this week and told them the amount of trains they ran, the number of stations they called at and and the number managed by them, the geographical range of their services, the amount of services they ran per week, the timespan of the franchise etc. It also shows you have a good memory and retain information which is part of the required skill set anyway. I didn’t go into detail about the trains other than the classes of the new trains coming into service soon. I’m not a spotter and didn’t want to sound like one, no idea if I passed the interview yet but I know I did ok on that question!

RadioFlyer2

Not seen any on them squire.
Someone's just phoned me from TFW to arrange transport to the interview and the number they called me on was 02920720679. Maybe give them a call back on that number and if it's not the right one in sure they could give you the right one

RadioFlyer2

Just learn and memorise as much as you can. You can never tell them too much, but you could tell them too little and sound disinterested.

I had an interview with Northern earlier this week and told them the amount of trains they ran, the number of stations they called at and and the number managed by them, the geographical range of their services, the amount of services they ran per week, the timespan of the franchise etc. It also shows you have a good memory and retain information which is part of the required skill set anyway. I didn’t go into detail about the trains other than the classes of the new trains coming into service soon. I’m not a spotter and didn’t want to sound like one, no idea if I passed the interview yet but I know I did ok on that question!

Yeah makes sense really, nice one! Last question how long were you being interviewed for roughly?

Last edited:

NorvernRob

Yeah makes sense really, nice one! Last question how long were you being interviewed for roughly?

Around 50 minutes, it flew by to be honest and the interviewers were great, really relaxed. At first I thought I’d done great, but now I think I blew it on a question where if I’d given a little more information it would have changed the context completely.

RadioFlyer2

Go with your first feeling. I deffo don't think you'll have blew it on one question alone if you feel your others were sound. Try to put it out your head now it's all done just sit tight for your results. It will be fine!

142Pilot

Someone's just phoned me from TFW to arrange transport to the interview and the number they called me on was 02920720679. Maybe give them a call back on that number and if it's not the right one in sure they could give you the right one

Appreciated.

NorvernRob

Go with your first feeling. I deffo don't think you'll have blew it on one question alone if you feel your others were sound. Try to put it out your head now it's all done just sit tight for your results. It will be fine!

Thanks, I can only wait and see! I fancy signalling too so I’ll be applying for whatever comes up.

baz962

Established Member

I am currently a trainee with a toc and I was specifically asked what traction they used by the interviewing manager , I personally would not leave that out . Just my opinion though.

RadioFlyer2

I am currently a trainee with a toc and I was specifically asked what traction they used by the interviewing manager , I personally would not leave that out . Just my opinion though.
Thanks, any tips greatly appreciated. How are you finding the course? How long in are you?

baz962

Established Member
Im with Arriva elsewhere . I have actually finished the training course but need 30 odd more driving hours . Im due to take my final assessment in just under three weeks. Hard work for sure , but I love it and look forward to going to work every day .

RadioFlyer2

Im with Arriva elsewhere . I have actually finished the training course but need 30 odd more driving hours . Im due to take my final assessment in just under three weeks. Hard work for sure , but I love it and look forward to going to work every day .
Ah sounds good, well done to you. I keep getting excited and then remember I'm not even close yet interview first and then we'll see what happens!

RadioFlyer2

I did reply to you but it says it's awaiting an administrator to review it all it said was "oh sounds good" and well done and good luck so I don't know why it needs reviewing

NorvernRob

What do you currently do if you don't mind me asking?

I’m a postie, have done it for over 21 years which is almost all my working life. There are certainly a lot worse jobs, but I fancy more of a challenge and something more rewarding, I reckon train driving or signalling would suit me perfectly. It’s the only job I’ve applied for since I started at Royal Mail in 1997!

RadioFlyer2

Does anyone on this thread know if the assessment centre test passes for TFW require the enhanced standard pass or national level?
I've previously passed all the tests to the enhanced level except for the group bourdon which I passed to the national standard but not enhanced.
Just wondering if I were successful at interview stage would I need to do the group bourdon again or not?
Thanks in advance

sw1ller

Established Member
I heard that ATW was enhanced. Wether that’s true or still relevant, I don’t know.

craigybagel

Established Member
I heard that ATW was enhanced. Wether that’s true or still relevant, I don’t know.

I've been wondering about that myself. I recently passed the assessments with TfW and have gone into the talent pool - but no mention was made of whether the pass was standard or enhanced. I have no desire or intention to look to any other TOC of course, I'm very happy where I am - it's just a mixture of curiosity and pride really that has me wondering how well I did!

Gooner18

I’m a postie, have done it for over 21 years which is almost all my working life. There are certainly a lot worse jobs, but I fancy more of a challenge and something more rewarding, I reckon train driving or signalling would suit me perfectly. It’s the only job I’ve applied for since I started at Royal Mail in 1997!

Same as me mate , I have worked for Vauxhall’s as a mechanic since 1997, fancy a change and something I can stay in until I retire , very nervous about leaving the only thing I have ever done though lol

RadioFlyer2

I've been wondering about that myself. I recently passed the assessments with TfW and have gone into the talent pool - but no mention was made of whether the pass was standard or enhanced. I have no desire or intention to look to any other TOC of course, I'm very happy where I am - it's just a mixture of curiosity and pride really that has me wondering how well I did!
Well done! Did they give you a rough indication when the courses are likely to start at all?

sw1ller

Established Member

Well done pal, I know how hard the day is and still feel awesome for getting through it myself. I’ve heard courses are back to back from now on with the next two in Chester being held 8 weeks apart. So two courses running at the same time for about 4 weeks during the classroom phase. It’s going to be a very very busy time.

NorvernRob

Same as me mate , I have worked for Vauxhall’s as a mechanic since 1997, fancy a change and something I can stay in until I retire , very nervous about leaving the only thing I have ever done though lol

Definitely, it’s a big thing to leave a job you’re comfortable with and take a risk. But I’ve got an itch to do more now, I’ve done my time at RM!

Gooner18

Definitely, it’s a big thing to leave a job you’re comfortable with and take a risk. But I’ve got an itch to do more now, I’ve done my time at RM!

Someone have to force ourselves out of our comfort zones to better ourselves

craigybagel

Established Member
Well done pal, I know how hard the day is and still feel awesome for getting through it myself. I’ve heard courses are back to back from now on with the next two in Chester being held 8 weeks apart. So two courses running at the same time for about 4 weeks during the classroom phase. It’s going to be a very very busy time.

Thanks - yeah I'm both chuffed and still slightly in shock to be honest! :lol: I'd heard similar rumours alright and I'm open for more than one depot so hopefully there will be some movement for me soon but either way at least the hardest part is over now.

Spiderman1

Anybody heard any results from FTF interviews for Cardiff yet? Had mine last week, guessing wont hear anything until end of week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.