• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraneSirJin

I was told today that not everyone got an assessment date and I'm pretty sure she said that these people who don't have dates yet should be doing their assessments within weeks. I expect they want everyone done asap. She did however ask me if I was to be called next week for a medical to begin the course in January would I be able to. So this implies to me that they won't be waiting for everyone to complete the assessments before they start allocating courses.
Looks like if your gonna get on the next course, you will surely need to hear this week. If not there isn't enough time to hand in notice / get medical etc. Another week of waiting patiently!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spiderman1

Passed!! that was a long day & a tough interview at the end, 90minutes!!
I was able to change my preferred Depot to Shrewsbury which was good news as I may be able to commute from home.

Island Dave

Congratulations, any tips going forward? Any useful info online ,, Im still waiting for an assessment date getting bored practicing now as no idea when I will get the call.. just want it over and done with lol. ...

Spiderman1

Congratulations, any tips going forward? Any useful info online ,, Im still waiting for an assessment date getting bored practicing now as no idea when I will get the call.. just want it over and done with lol. ...
If you understand the practice materials they sent and have practiced them there isn't to much more you can do. I purposely stopped all practicing for 5 days before my assessment as I actually found I was getting worse!
I found the dial checking the hardest and one of the candidates failed this section do failed the whole lot.
I found with the vigilance test, i.e. The grey box changing colour not to bad. I synked my eyes with the flashing of the square so I wasn't constantly just staring at the screen, I would look away when the box dissaoeared and look back as it reappeared. This is very much a personal preference though.
The photos and co ordination are impossible to gauge and you will feel like you have failed it when you have finished.
For the interview I felt they really honed in on the non technical skills so you need to get very familiar with those.
Hope that helps a little.

Island Dave

Well done any news on a course date for you or where you will sit the course. How many dials was there to check? Ive seen 3 and 4 items to check on practice material on various sites now, and are you allowed to keep the order to checking the dials during the test or do you have to memorise it all ?

RadioFlyer2

If you understand the practice materials they sent and have practiced them there isn't to much more you can do. I purposely stopped all practicing for 5 days before my assessment as I actually found I was getting worse!
I found the dial checking the hardest and one of the candidates failed this section do failed the whole lot.
I found with the vigilance test, i.e. The grey box changing colour not to bad. I synked my eyes with the flashing of the square so I wasn't constantly just staring at the screen, I would look away when the box dissaoeared and look back as it reappeared. This is very much a personal preference though.
The photos and co ordination are impossible to gauge and you will feel like you have failed it when you have finished.
For the interview I felt they really honed in on the non technical skills so you need to get very familiar with those.
Hope that helps a little.
Passed!! that was a long day & a tough interview at the end, 90minutes!!
I was able to change my preferred Depot to Shrewsbury which was good news as I may be able to commute from home.

Well done mate bet your glad that's all over. Did they say how much longer the assessments were going on or were you the last lot of this round of testing?

Spiderman1

Well done mate bet your glad that's all over. Did they say how much longer the assessments were going on or were you the last lot of this round of testing?
Thank you. They didn't say. There was a conductor taking the assessment who works for TFW & he was very sure the Jan intake had been filled already. We were told we would be going into the Talent pool but didn't specify how long that would be. The same conductor said there are a lot of courses to be run, so if

you don't get Jan intake then March could be the next one.
I was really grilled on the interview, I have 17 years experience as a firefighter so felt I answered the questions well with good examples but she still kept digging for me. I had a feeling of dejavu and thought I might have failed it.
It's a huge relief as I'm
Sure you can relate to!
Onwards and upwards.

Spiderman1

Well done any news on a course date for you or where you will sit the course. How many dials was there to check? Ive seen 3 and 4 items to check on practice material on various sites now, and are you allowed to keep the order to checking the dials during the test or do you have to memorise it all ?
No news on course dates. The dial checking is very much like in the practice material with one extra bit. There are 4 dials. You get to do a few eggs before you start so you will know exactly what you need to do. There is nothing in the tests aiming to catch you out. It's all well explained .

Spiderman1

Has anybody who passed assessments heard anything back or had any written confirmation of their success?

Fredytrains

Is any one still waiting to hear about an assessment date? Or has a date booked already. Im still waiting to hear back .

Island Dave

Not worried at all, just asking to gauge how many, if possibly any at all on here not recieved a date yet or have had any communication with assessments centre in the last few days /weeks about upcoming assessments. Been no talk of any assessments booked for this month, are any on this month at all?

BraneSirJin

Not worried at all, just asking to gauge how many, if possibly any at all on here not recieved a date yet or have had any communication with assessments centre in the last few days /weeks about upcoming assessments. Been no talk of any assessments booked for this month, are any on this month at all?
Similarly is anyone starting in Jan and where?

craigybagel

Established Member
The people for the January course have all been chosen - in fact they got their emails with an offer of employment today. Some for each of Crewe Chester and Shrewsbury, at least 5 of whom are existing conductors. I don't know the exact numbers or breakdown yet though.

BraneSirJin

Th
The people for the January course have all been chosen - in fact they got their emails with an offer of employment today. Some for each of Crewe Chester and Shrewsbury, at least 5 of whom are existing conductors. I don't know the exact numbers or breakdown yet though.
Thanks for the update

RadioFlyer2

Does that mean you will be starting on the January course I remember you saying you were in the talent pool? Congratulations if that's the case!

craigybagel

Established Member
Does that mean you will be starting on the January course I remember you saying you were in the talent pool? Congratulations if that's the case!

No I'm still in the talent pool without a start date. Guards are getting released in batches to go driving but if all the guards who've passed the assessments were released at the same time there wouldn't be enough left to keep the service running!

RadioFlyer2

No I'm still in the talent pool without a start date. Guards are getting released in batches to go driving but if all the guards who've passed the assessments were released at the same time there wouldn't be enough left to keep the service running!
Of course, makes total sense :p

Status
Not open for further replies.