BBC Trainspotting Live

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Traveloguer, 1 Jul 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubscottie

dubscottie Member

"Do pencils scare you?" Lol. He did take a step back when Dick pointed it at him!

2. 43074

43074 Established Member

I thought today's episode was slightly better, although it was more cringeworthy in places than yesterday, and the accuracy on the whole was more questionable. Didn't get the obsession with 325s either.

3. physics34

physics34 Established Member

Snow being quite annoying saying things a "great" and "exciting" when he doesnt have a clue whats going on, the old fart.

4. centraltrains

centraltrains Member

'We've seen 150s and 158s, what's the difference'
    'Class 150s have 2 coaches and 158s have 3 coaches.'

Hmm..

5. 156443

156443 Member

https://flic.kr/p/G4jxiY

Here you go, found this on Flickr

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited: 12 Jul 2016
  6. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

Not entirely sure what audience it is aimed at. I would suggest a younger audience to get them interested but it is on relatively late. It is alright, I would have liked to have seen more 37's on the Cumbrian coast but I don't think I am the target audience. I still think the presenters have been drinking all day.

7. PeterY

PeterY Member

It's watchable. I'm not saying it's good or bad. Nothing I don't already know (except the equations).

With the Royal Mail 325's they're easy to see, living close to the West Coast main line.

I don't train spot but sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time to see something unusual appear. I do get a sense of pleasure being on a railway platform though and Berkhamsted is a good place to spend half hour or so. :)

8. sduob

sduob Member

Thought this has been terribly enjoyable, given that we're not really the target audience (as the sort of people who notice and correct the finer technical details...)

Some room for improvement, of course, but a good idea generally well executed. Hope it continues.

As an aside - here's a surprisingly positive article about it from, um, buzzfeed.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybrya...ctually-exis?utm_term=.shy5XryjE6#.pjVzxbkVme

9. physics34

physics34 Established Member

too nervous that bloke was and cant believe he made this whoopsy.

10. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

"158s are a bit faster"
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    That surprises me, considering that most trainspotters are cis white guys.

11. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

The world's premier broadcaster. And they can't spell. :roll:

[​IMG]

Symptomatic of the whole programme. Slipshop, amateurish, cringeworthy. Not a good show.

12. sduob

sduob Member

I've heard lots of generally warm comments from normals and the bemused - while far from empirical, it suggests this is going down very well with at least few audiences.

13. Harbornite

Indeed, the reaction on twitter is generally positive and it is trending. Overall I think it's a decent little program and better than a lot of the dross that now passes for TV.

14. richieb1971

richieb1971 Established Member

Its getting better, just seen at least 6 or 7 clips that are mine :lol:

And they were moving trains :p

15. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

It's trying to be like top gear for trains. Other than the over the top/awkward presenting it's okay; it's accessible, easy to follow, light-hearted and informative, but the presenters clearly don't understand the subject matter and that's what's letting it down. Cashing-in on the recent popularity of railways caused by the return of the Flying Scotsman.

16. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

I've watched it tonight. There is nothing really wrong with it although I do agree we are not really the target audience. It does feel like they are spending a lot of time filling a poor concept.

Maybe Peter Snow or the DG's kids suggested it and no-one felt confident enough to say "no, this idea doesn't work"

17. FGW_DID

FGW_DID Established Member

Tonight's programme live from Swindon, all about the HST and low and behold a GWR liveried set pitches up, shortly followed by 43002! They were remarkably lucky, it's almost as if someone had planned it that way :D
    Perhaps he would rather be in his usual haunt, on the platform, up the line at Didcot (and not as a veg ;););))

18. IanKR

IanKR Member

Bob Gwynne (curator at the National Railway Museum) gave an unconvincing description of the difference between a DMU and a diesel loco. He describes a DMU as a "self-propelled train".

19. Harbornite

Well it kinda is, as opposed to a Loco hauled train which is hauled or propelled by a loco.

20. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Overall I did think tonight's episode was better and a little less awkward than the previous.

Someone really should brief the presenters on what they're getting told though - some of the aforementioned bits about Snow not realising what a HST is (in fact it didn't even feature in the alternative names...most of which I have never heard of!) and not understanding what a vinyl is were a little cringeworthy

It would have been nice of them to make something of the prototype having an original Valenta too. I'm sure many here would take exception to them saying the 43's sound great in their current guise <D

I think he was probably a bit nervous. As pointed out, the differences between a 150/158 could have been rather better too, though on the spot I think I would be struggling a bit

I had hoped they may go back to the 37 departing for Kingsmoor - they sound better when moving than when just idling

21. IanKR

IanKR Member

I guess that you and I understand that, but I don't think it works for someone who knows little about rail stock.

22. Harbornite

Fair enough.

23. crispy1978

crispy1978 Established Member

Enjoying the programme on the whole.

The bit with Hannah Fry with her HP/torque equation made me chuckle when she used 33,000 as the denominator and said something about imperial measurements being weird!

Love her twitter handle (Fryrsquared) - made me laugh too!

Peter Snow - don't think he gets it all. A couple of the presenters I thought were genuinely interested about what was going on, particularly one of the younger ones - can't work out the bloke with the big beard. The NRM curator comes across well too, as do a couple of the spotters who are infinitely knowledgeable!

Yeah, it's different, but enjoyable.

24. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Did they mention anything about the one pictured being the test train? Hardly your "run of the mill" DMU anyway

Are we allowed to point out that a Voyager isn't strictly a DMU as one of the presenters said? :D

I did find the maths bit about torque quite interesting (and not just because of the Dr :P) - a bit of a shame it got cut off to go to an idling 37 that wasn't going anywhere
    Yes, I did quite like that too. I'm not sure of the reason for the 33000, but it probably doesn't matter for the purposes of the formula and it was an engaging and amusing way round it (can't ignore it but not relevant to the presentation at hand)

25. Flamingo

Flamingo Established Member

Bloody Hell! a HST at SWINDON? Who'd have thought it!!!<D

26. Harbornite

Sadly she never got to explain what she meant by diesel electric, she was going to but was cut off by that 37.

27. trash80

trash80 Established Member

I didn't quite understand what she was on about with the torque and power maths, and diesels having the same power output all the time?

I'm enjoying the programme, the big logo 37 was sweet. If they do this again they need better presenters though.

28. G0ORC

G0ORC Member

I think the problem with it is that they are trying to be all things to all men. I really think they should have stuck to modern traction be it locos, DMU, EMU, HST or whatever and made a decent job of it. The historical stuff just didn't cut it for me and I felt it was unnecessary.

I don't think they really know who the programme is aimed at. As a retired operational railwayman of around 40 years service I found some of it cringe worthy and almost embarrassing.

Am I on my own?

29. richieb1971

richieb1971 Established Member

Some strange goings on in this programme.

Lets record the sound of trains (because video technology of today doesn't pick up sound).

And on that subject, most of the programme is completely omitting the sound. The best part of todays trains is the noise they make. It gives the impression of power.

God knows what they do to the footage. The footage I sent them looks better at home and on youtube than it does on TV.

30. scott118

scott118 Member

who would you like to see as presenters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.