• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC Trainspotting Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I am sure when told the prog was featuring the HST that the very first clip was the original tilting electric train, Inter City 140 or whatever it's short lived name was.

APT. It's the APT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
My main issue with the show is none of the mistakes. Its the format where the presenters and their "Chris Evans" type of enthusiasm is plastered over the whole show.

When a train is actually shown there is talking over the top. You never hear the real trains, all the footage has audio muted.

I'd much rather watch a compilation of youtubes with actual train footage than watch a programme where the presenters are the stars of the show.

The lady presenter is quite welcome and she brings something fresh to the show. But the stars of the show has to be the trains and at least a portion of the show has to interest pre-existing railway enthusiasts that know their stuff. A mix of introductory pieces and basic knowledge is good, but not ALL of the time.

Mr Fizz

Overall i'm liking the show. Usual annoyances with live shows but used to that. However i waa annoyed by them not showing the Class 37 moving off. I wanted to hear it pull away and i wanted to see that presenter getting a face full of clag for good measure!

me123

Established Member
I've just watched last night's episode on catch up. It's a bit like a car crash - you just can't stop watching. So much of what they're saying is just wrong. I don't really think Dr Fry wants to be there, although she's putting as much enthusiasm into it as she can muster. Dick appears to be so excited about train spotting that... he's not spotting the trains. Peter Snow needs to go back to his nursing home.

They go to Carlisle to spot a 37... and don't get it moving off the mark! That was probably some of the best footage they would have got for last night's show.

It's falling into the same trap as "Airports Live" did - that had the particularly wonderful moment where Kate Humble asked BA's head pilot if he knew how to fly a plane! The people presenting aren't particularly knowledgable on the subject, but they're keen to give it a go. Which is fine until you realise that your target audience is more knowledgable than you are.

synthnut

Hmm, well what a mess! A very sad piece of television and a wasted opportunity really. I think trying to do too much live is a mistake, they should take note of how "Springwatch" have developed the genre and made a better job of it.
The presenters fear of "silence" is so misplaced here and they seem to cut away from a feed at exactly the wrong point.
It's also a shame Peter Snow doesn't come accross better in this as he is actually a genuine enthusiast about rail!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9251000/9251362.stm
He featured in BBC program The Joy of (Train) Sets a while back in his loft. Dick might be an engineer and work OK with scripted material but as mentioned, he's very eager to get onto the next bit he's trying to keep in his memory and cut off a reply.
I'm reminded of the forced enthusiasm of a certain short-lived Top Gear presenter by both JS and DS. Poor Hannah has been dumped into this and seems lest than at ease, but then none of the presenters are. The best bits are the pre-rec sections frankly.
I have to say that Rocket 150 at Rainhill back in the distant past was not much better and that was like shooting fish in a barrel, yet Railwatch seemed to hang together more.
Maybe they should have dug out Pete Waterman and Rod Stewart et al. They could even have brough Michaela Strachan, Pete's old buddy from "The Hitman and Her" I digress...
TTFN,
Ben

Established Member
:lol::lol:

I don't really think there is much else to say except laugh at how bad it is, and it wont do much to change the perceptions about Rail Enthusiasts, still it is on BBC4 so there wont be many watching anyway:lol:

Harbornite

Established Member
:lol::lol:

I don't really think there is much else to say except laugh at how bad it is, and it wont do much to change the perceptions about Rail Enthusiasts, still it is on BBC4 so there wont be many watching anyway:lol:

It was trending quite high on twitter...

EAD

I have been quite disappointed.

The programme seems to be neither one thing nor another and certainly not equivalent to City in the Sky which had a fair balance for civil aviation fans and general public (perhaps more the latter) and was interesting.

I am not sure how they have got it so wrong - BBC4 has had some very good niche enthusiasts programmes before and the BBC has also done very good 3 part general appeal programmes with some of the same presenters. Somehow throwing them all together has created an over excited mess with little substance. The faces on some of the rather perplexed invited guests (not those on platform ends that have been interviewed unexpectedly) speaks volumes e.g. the chap from the NRM last night.

It was telling that when watching back the recording my finger was on fast forward a lot of the time. A missed opportunity in my view.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Let's have a 2016 version of RAILWATCH!!!

It'd be interesting if a production company did, maybe they could get Pete Waterman and James May (who would obviously go into so much detail it'd more than fill the 60 minutes of allocated time) along with that Hanna Fry (well, you've got to get some fit bird up on stage to attract the younger audiance).

Still, you've got to admit the best being so far is Dick spotting in Doncaster, they'll find loads in Frenchgate taking "selfies" or acting like dicks.

jbqfc

just watched the first on on iplayer thinking it can't be that bad but it was took me about 15 minutes to watch
not sure if i will watch the rest

Russonomics

Less than a minute in and we've seen the lesser spotted Southern EMU.

Edit: And the first EMU NO NOT THE BIRD HA HA gag.

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
does anyone call them Emus...

..iam sure we all call them E.M.U's

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
There's apparently a class 45 EMU at Tamworth...

Anyhow, they've just shown a Gatex 387 at the Ham of Clap. I must say that they do look rather nice.

Scott M

Fascinating that a broader gauge would actually be better. I always assumed what became the standard gauge had been settled on as it was the best out of all the tried and tested gauges. Rather disappointing that it is actually a lame duck chosen because it would be too uneconomic to choose a better one.

saracen43

Just got in from work and watching it at the mo, The only thing interesting on it at the moment is the red academic red head, I digress. Can anyone tell me what service the 37 was working last night at Carlisle, and is it on going regular diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.