• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bermondsey dive under open

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not a driver but I'd expect that it would classed as new, since your approach speed to a flat junction will be completely different as compared to a grade-separated junction. Which will have affects on braking points, etc.

I seem to remember that there was route learning required before the Hitchin flyover was brought into use.

That was slightly different, because the new route was available at the same time as the old route. It won't be the case at Bermondsey, it will change during a blockade, (late summer 2017?) maybe as long as 10 days or so, and that will be that.

Looking at the staging diagrams the temporary slews just north of New Cross will be switched back to the normal route and then through the dive under and then run on the south side of the main viaduct to the west of the Bermondsey site and towards P7-P9. It's effectively a track slew onto a new parallel pair of tracks over a few thousand yards, but it doesn't actually provide a new junction as such.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
That was slightly different, because the new route was available at the same time as the old route. It won't be the case at Bermondsey, it will change during a blockade, maybe as long as 10 days or so, and that will be that.
I guess it will have to be sim runs then.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I guess it will have to be sim runs then.

I think we have to separate out the fact that the new route is routed through a dive under. Putting that to one side it is still the same two track up/down towards Charing Cross route.

What I'm thinking is that although it will look fairly different it is logically the same route. I think Bald Rick explained a few months ago (in the long running London Bridge new timetable thread) that they can transfer the signal numbers and line names across from the old route to the temporary route then back to permanent route, which presumably makes it easier for drivers knowledge.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I think we have to separate out the fact that the new route is routed through a dive under. Putting that to one side it is still the same two track up/down towards Charing Cross route.
I suppose, would be nice to hear from a driver.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Old ballast gets worn too smooth, and too small, so eventually it doesn't provide the necessary interlocking for track restraint no matter how clean you can get it. I would expect they would take the opportunity of such an accessible worksite to do a 100% removal and replace - if only to get a head start on future maintenance requirements.

But on the operational railway the High Output Ballast Cleaning train basically runs along and treats the ballast by cutting it all out, then sorting it for size, cleaning most stone and replacement with some new stone added.

Ballast that is beyond further use on the railway is washed and recycled into the construction industry, it is done at places like Whitemoor, Westbury and Eastleigh to name but a few.

Thanks for the explanation

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Three pictures taken this morning.

The down ramp for the Southeastern Charing Cross lines showing its final shape, more or less, I assume some sort of finishing treatment will be used to hide the bare concrete in due course.

Steel girders in place for the Thameslink bridge over Bolina Rd, you can get an idea now of the future height of that Thameslink pair compared to the Cannon St tracks from which the picture is taken, it's clearly becoming a bit of a flyover as well as a dive under...

Third picture is the end of the slight gradient where there's a ramp bringing the Thameslink pair down to the level of the Cannon St lines.

Hope this is of interest.

Attachments

• Bermondsey SE ramp.jpg
    Bermondsey SE ramp.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Bermondsey Thameslink bridge.jpg
    Bermondsey Thameslink bridge.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 224
  • Bermondsey Thameslink ramp.jpg
    Bermondsey Thameslink ramp.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Three pictures taken this morning.

The down ramp for the Southeastern Charing Cross lines showing its final shape, more or less, I assume some sort of finishing treatment will be used to hide the bare concrete in due course.
Yellow brick like the ramp completed last year

ComUtoR

Established Member

It's very different in terms of driving and route signals are changing on that route and you will get a different route indication as well as line speeds. There are also Drivers who regularly use that route that will never have driven via blue anchor.

Its well worth noting that since the works have been undertaken the number of incidents has risen.

snowball

Established Member
You can tell from swt_passenger's first photo that the arch faces (spandrels) are going to be faced with bricks or blocks because the structural arch protrudes slighly relative to the spandrels.

IanKR

Somebody, somewhere (either on this thread or on the London Bridge reconstruction works thread) has no doubt already answered this, but I can't find it, so apologies for posting.

Once CHX trains commence stopping again at LBG at the end of August, will they be using the Bermondsey dive under, or will they still be using the current track that is slued to the north? Looking at the works today, I can't see it being ready in 5/6 weeks - not just the dive under itself, but also the track on the approaches at both ends?

I assume they will be replacing the existing track along the south (CHX) viaduct past the recycling works and back to New Cross?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Somebody, somewhere (either on this thread or on the London Bridge reconstruction works thread) has no doubt already answered this, but I can't find it, so apologies for posting.

Once CHX trains commence stopping again at LBG at the end of August, will they be using the Bermondsey dive under, or will they still be using the current track that is slued to the north? Looking at the works today, I can't see it being ready in 5/6 weeks - not just the dive under itself, but also the track on the approaches at both ends?

I assume they will be replacing the existing track along the south (CHX) viaduct past the recycling works and back to New Cross?

No, it's just a case of slewing the Cannon St tracks over at both ends of the station to run through the future P5 & P6, while they demolish existing and build the eventual P1 to P4.

This PDF presentation below (warning large file) shows all the stages of track alterations, the August change is to the stage 3 layout, on page 88.

http://www.infrarail.com/_downloads/presentations/IF14_Thameslink.pdf

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member

August change is just connecting existing lines 1+2 on the eastern approaches to the lines through P5+6 which have already been laid (and the connection of tracks 5+6 at the western end to the CST lines at Borough Market.)

Xmas change is Sussex Down Slow though the dive under in operation (southern most track through dive under) which is big improvement for Southern users and allows the loop outside the station to be removed and all the Charing Cross Changes to be made at Easter/May '17 etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A few pictures of the current situation at and near the Bolina Rd bridges where AFAICT the civils work appears to moving towards the last stages before the track systems contractor gets access.

First picture just at the end of the Charing Cross up and down lines viaduct. It seems as though only the down line has a full parapet, and therefore has a full concrete foundation for the track bed behind it. The levels in the background suggest that the whole area including the up Charing Cross and the down Sussex Slow across to the Thameslink embankment retaining wall will be just compacted earth, because they seem to be laying conventional drainage in a trench down the middle?

Second picture shows three of the four separate bridges over Bolina Rd. In order front to back Down Charing Cross, Up Charing Cross, Down Sussex Slow. The fourth bridge (Southwark Reversible) is almost completely out of view under the camera.

Third Picture shows the area between the Bolina Rd bridges and the start of the main underpass boxes. Again, it looks like ground level is being raised to that of the concrete bridges to form a fairly conventional track bed. That for the Down Sussex Slow exiting the box is looking almost ready for ballast perhaps? That will be the first line to open in due course.

Fourth picture just shows the finishing brickwork being applied at the country end of the viaduct. Thinking aloud, I wonder if they might ever clean the existing viaduct to match?

Attachments

• Viaduct B.jpg
    Viaduct B.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Bolina Rd.jpg
    Bolina Rd.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Viaduct C.jpg
    Viaduct C.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Brickwork 1.jpg
    Brickwork 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 162

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When will this come into use? Are there any timelines?

The first part to open in Dec 2016 is to be the Down Sussex Slow. That's the southernmost of the four dive under tracks (furthest low bridge alongside the flyover in 2nd of my above photos).

There are published timelines somewhere but as that first one is about 3 months ahead of the original date shown, I'd be reluctant to go by them as they may have changed as well.

However in May 2014 the up and down Charing Cross lines were going to be in use about September 2017, and the Southwark reversible (the remaining route) at the end of 2017.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Cheers for the picture(s).

Anyone know what the linespeeds will be ?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Cheers for the picture(s).

Anyone know what the linespeeds will be ?

That Infrarail presentation from a couple of years back that included all the staging diagrams (although not too clear) suggests 60 mph through the general area of the dive under, and on the Thameslink lines.

Last edited:

DPWH

On Moderation
Fourth picture just shows the finishing brickwork being applied at the country end of the viaduct. Thinking aloud, I wonder if they might ever clean the existing viaduct to match?

Is the original viaduct actually dirty or was it built in blue brick?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That Infrarail presentation from a couple of years back that included all the staging diagrams (although not too clear) suggests 60 mph through the general area of the dive under, and on the Thameslink lines.

Yep 60 all round, over and under.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Is the original viaduct actually dirty or was it built in blue brick?

It would have been in traditional yellow London brick. The colour of the original viaduct is almost black after hundred+ years of polution. I think it is nice that NR have realised the heritage of the viaduct and have faced the new section in London brick but surely it added unnecessary cost and time to the project? The brick appears to be purely cosmetic unless anyone knows different.

With all respect to Millwall supporters & Bermondsey residents it is hardly in a scenic area being sandwiched between the New Den, a recyling centre, railway lines and a post industrial wasteland!

If you want to see a great example of what restored London brick looks like compared to ones stained by years of polution then take a look at the building sandwiched between the new Borough market jct overbridge and the original. It was restored last year and all the original brick completely cleaned except for the side which was too close to the original line for the contractor to work on.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Cheers for the Speeds. That is actually pretty good and hopefully we will get decent signalling through the diveunder. The old Blue Anchor almost always had a check down. Hopefully signal sighting won't be an issue either.

As to the brickwork. Not quite to my taste and it does look more cosmetic than anything else but why not ? I'm between two minds if they should leave the juxtaposition of old and new or clean the old brickwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.