• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inox

later on yesterday evening there was a team at lostock installing the vertical droppers (?) to one of the gallows on the down. I've a video I'll upload.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
I've added Reg's photos to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157671732263863

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

I particularly like the word "completes".

Thank you Reg.

In the linked photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/27791901557/in/album-72157671732263863/
There are a number of timber sleepers installed.
Is there an obstruction below the ballast such as a Subway which means a reduced depth of ballast or sleeper may be required.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Baz123

After two weeks of very little progress East of Lostock Station, this afternoon (Sunday 24th) quite a lot was was happening!
IMG_20180624_155132525.jpg IMG_20180624_155535711.jpg IMG_20180624_155558238.jpg IMG_20180624_155622906.jpg IMG_20180624_155802831.jpg IMG_20180624_155956381.jpg IMG_20180624_160035510.jpg

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I just have this feeling that every night from now on some progress will be made. A couple of masts here a couple of masts there. Progressive endanglification the odd wire and then at weekends during posssesion a real burst of activity. Sure it is behind schedule but I for one can really see light at the end of the tunnel now. Great news

Great photos btw Baz123

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
From the USA thanks to all concerned. I am getting the buzz I got in the latter days of the Wigan-Liverpool and Chat Moss - Liverpool electrification, The thread and progress was addictive and I touched base on the thread minimum three times per day. This thread is now the same.

lancastrian

There is an old subway that runs underneath all platforms.Hope this helps

Yes it used to run under the platform one track to a lift in the corner of the old Parcels Office. This used to be at the Manchester Road end of the old Station building. The location has now gone, and the site of the old Parcels Office is now where B&M Bargains have their outdoor section near to Trinity Street. I remember using the subway when I worked there in the early 1970's.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've lost the plot on the inch-by-inch progress, but here's a few observations today.
Good to see plenty of physical progress, with just a handful of bases left to do, though there's still plenty of steelwork to go up.
Earth and ATF wiring has progressed well, with stretches east of Lostock, Bolton-Moses Gate, and at Farnworth, Kearsley, Agecroft and Salford Crescent.
However over-track wiring is still limited to the short bits north of Buckshaw and between Horwich and Lostock.
All the portals on the cutting walls either side of Chorley tunnel seem to be in place.
Still lots to do.
As an aside, my 156 PIS was incapable of showing intermediate stops.
It spent its time scrolling generic messages, including advice on last week's RMT strikes...
And here I am at Salford Crescent with a 27 minute gap between trains to Victoria (but at least no cancellations)!

I forgot to mention the attractive tubs of flowers which have appeared on both platforms at Chorley.
A welcome splash of colour.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Yes it used to run under the platform one track to a lift in the corner of the old Parcels Office. This used to be at the Manchester Road end of the old Station building. The location has now gone, and the site of the old Parcels Office is now where B&M Bargains have their outdoor section near to Trinity Street. I remember using the subway when I worked there in the early 1970's.

I saw inside in the 90s, platform 1 side has line-side equipment in it

59CosG95

Established Member
Great progress this week indeed!

GSoP Post 11.0
Manchester Victoria - Preston; State of Play, week beginning 25th June 2018.

24 bases & 158 (at a guess/at most) masts still missing.
All mileages from Manchester Victoria. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.

1. Man Vic Station (West End) - Man Vic West Jct - Deal Street Jct; 0m 0ch to 0m 32ch
Fully wired 2013-15.

2. Deal Street Jct - Salford Central (East End); 0m 32ch to 0m 59ch
Fully masted. Limit of electrification is currently at 0m 46ch; SPS is up along the unwired stretch.

3. Salford Central; 0m 59ch
Fully masted, most SPS (Small Part Steelwork e.g. dangly bits) up. No wires.

4. Salford Central (West End) - Windsor Bridge South Jct; 0m 59ch to 1m 46ch
All bases in place, mostly with masts, no catenary or earth wires. Two runs of Earth wire are up.

5. Windsor Bridge South Jct - Windsor Bridge North Jct (inc. Salford Crescent); 1m 46ch to 1m 70ch
No catenary/contact wires. The bespoke "right triangle" fixings on one of the footbridges have turned out to be fixings for dangly bits. Each side has two stovepipes; one for a registration arm, one for an earth wire.
All masts, almost all SPS and both Earth Wires now up through the station.
Both tracks to the east of Salford Crescent (the Up & Down Bolton thru P1, and the Up Bolton immediately to the east of that) are completely bedanglied through the station.
S Jct looks ready for wiring, but mast gaps still present at N Jct. Lots of SPS up immediately north of Salford Cres.

6. Windsor Bridge North Jct - Clifton (South End); 1m 70ch to 4m 57ch
Many bases in place, some with masts, no wires.
At Pendleton (the Old Station site), just north of Broughton Rd Bridge (2m 26ch), the Pendleton retaining wall has been cut back in several places to make room for bases (which are all now in).
Between Frederick Rd & Broughton Rd (2m 26ch) bridges, most masts are up, except on the "problem bases" around Broughton Rd. The 3 bases, between Broughton Rd Bridge & Cockrobin Bridge (approx. 2m 51ch) have now all gained masts.
The "problem base" north of Cockrobin Bridge has now finally gained a TTC (Twin Track Cantilever) on the northbound (see photo A384g); the gap is now closed.
Dangly bits up near Agecroft, and the missing bases in the walled stretch north of Agecroft Rd have now appeared & gained TTCs - woohoo! The problem was due to excessively sandy ground conditions in the area.
Steelwork either side of Park House Rd Bridge looks well advanced.
Lot of masts with SPS up on the southern approach to Clifton.

7. Clifton Station; 4m 57ch
1 boomed TTC (with SPS), no wires. Base for another TTC in behind the southbound platform.

8. Clifton (North End) - Kearsley (South End); 4m 57ch to 7m 57ch
Most/all bases in place, large no. of masts, no wires.
Brackets are fitted to the underside of the M60 overbridge. Bridge MVE1 27B (immediately NW of this) is fully erected, but unopened, and work the walkway is not yet finished.
The line through the former Dixon Fold station site (around the new footbridge, approx. 6m 00ch) looks ready for wires; the wire-readiness extends south to the M60 bridge.
Looking south from Kearsley, all masts that are up appear to be fully kitted out with SPS.

9. Kearsley Station; 7m 57ch
All bases in place, no masts, no wires.

10. Kearsley (North End) - Farnworth (South End); 7m 57ch to 8m 31ch
All masts (almost all with booms), no wires. Dangly bits starting to appear at the Kearsley end. Farnworth tunnel (8m 25ch) has all its registration arms in place.

11. Farnworth Station; 8m 31ch
All bases in place, 1 or 2 masts, no wires. Looks pretty much ready for wiring south of the Farnworth Station Footbridge.

12. Farnworth (North End) - Moses Gate (South End); 8m 31ch to 9m 06ch
A pair of bases & squat masts are up between Farnworth Station footbridge and Rawson St Bridge (approx. 8m 44ch). Two bases have now gone in in the southbound cess, awaiting masts; one each side of the "squat portal" uprights.
Fully boomed and fully bedanglied TTCs up between Rawson St & the Balustraded Bridge (approx. 8m 56ch); this stretch now looks wire-ready.
The Gravity "Base of the century" just south of the Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge (approx. 8m 67ch) is now curing away nicely, with shuttering removed.

13. Moses Gate Station; 9m 06ch
Fully masted, no wires

14. Moses Gate (North End) - Bolton (South End); 9m 06ch to 10m 50ch
Weston St to Moses Gate looks almost ready for wiring.
Many bases, many masts, no wires. SPS and Tensorex drums appearing on some masts/cantilevers around Burnden Jct (10m 09ch).
All uprights appear to be up on both sides of Lever St footbridge; a multi-track portal is up immediately to the south of the bridge. To the north (on the east side), a TTC with reduced-height registration arms is up.
Orlando St Bridge appears to be fully "stovepiped".

15. Bolton Station; 10m 50ch
Through the station, all lines are fully masted with the exception of P1 (1 mast missing between Weston St & Newport St bridges) and P5 (1 mast missing between Weston St & Bradshawgate Tunnel), according to the observations of Reg.
The 1st TTC up over P1/2 has now been bedanglied; in total, P1/2 is covered by 4 TTCs and 3 STCs. P2 still requires its "termination mast".
Platforms 98% open to public; the 2% not open is a fenced-off section of canopy support to the right of signal "MP9239". P2 buffers look finished. Canopies look complete.
Earth wires now going in; the first one runs parallel to P3, from the southern end almost up to the road bridge at the northern end. A second one (parallel to P5) is up, and it extends south through Burnden as far as the eye can see.
Two sets of chalked "hieroglyphs" are etched into the bridge deck of Trinity St over P3/4; possible locations for stovepipes? Additionally, bolts & brackets are now drilled into the glazed brick retaining wall opposite P1.

16. Bolton (North End) - Lostock (South End); 10m 50ch to 13m 52ch
Newport St bridge has now had studs/brackets of some kind drilled in. The run of masts between Newport St & the NW end of P5 now have their earth wire affixed. Just east of Newport St Bridge, a TTC (unbedanglied) has now gone up on the southbound side.
Between Newport Street Bridge & Moor Lane (the Bullfield Tunnels area), the tunnels are bedanglied throughout, with Aerial Earth Wire (AEW) brackets up over both tracks' respective tunnels/bridges.
Immediately NW of Newport St, one of the concrete bases that was poured over the weekend of May 5th has now had a mast affixed; the other mast for the other base is lying in wait.
Gt. Moor St. bridge now has a stovepipe in on the Down side. The most recently cured base, fresh from unwrapping, has now had a mast & two dangly assemblies put up (see pic. A300k; between Great Moor St. & Dawes St. bridges). Of the "3 amigos" (the three closest masts to Great Moor St. Bridge), 2 now have Tensorex Drums fitted and the other has its dangly bits cabled-tied down(see pic. A320k).
Cable ducting troughs laid between Black Horse St & New St on the Down side, in the cess; all 6 masts are now up in this gap.
The overrun along the line to Blackburn (as far as Bradshawgate Tunnel) looks nearly ready for SPS & wires.
All masts are now up between Moor Lane & Mayor Street bridges, with the addition of a portal just NW of Moor Ln.

East of Dean Clough Bridge (12m 26ch), 2 "failed" driven pile bases on the southbound side now have formwork for concrete gravity pad replacements in position, awaiting the concrete pour.
Between Dean Clough Bridge and 'the' Ladybridge (next one further west), all masts appear to be up, with cantilever assembles affixed (and folded out of place).
Thence, between 'the' Ladybridge and Beaumont Rd, all masts of all varieties are now up. Earth wires are already being strung!
All bases (and now all masts) are in place between Beaumont Rd & Lostock station.
Masts have started to appear immediately south of Lostock; at the extreme southern end of the station, a twin track portal with SPS has been erected, with the 4-track portal over Lostock Jct (13m 39ch) immediately south of that now being boomed too. 3 "failed" protruding, uncapped pile bases are on the Wigan Line; one assumes that gravity pad replacements will eventually be in the offing.
More masts around the switchgear box are sprouting dangly bits, switchgear kit etc.
A UTX has been installed in the "vee" in Lostock Jct, for buried service access.
Work currently going on with stacks of cable ducting on the Wigan Line - possibly from the substation?
Another TTC (with boom) has gone up on the Wigan Line.
East of Lostock, a posession was taken over the weekend of 23rd/24th of June - registration arms/dangly bits appeared to be on a road-railer trailer, so perhaps some masts gained their dangly bits. One of the booms was affixed for one of the portals over the junction.

17. Lostock Station; 13m 52ch
Switchgear box delivered 6th April '18.
All TTCs now in behind the Down platform; one of them is not like the others (additional bracing member).

18. Lostock (North End) - Horwich Pkwy (South End); 13m 52ch to 15m 50ch
Two more UTXs have been installed in the "vee" between the two lines, to the north of the station.
Immediately north of the station, the closest TTCs to the platforms have now sprouted part of their switchgear kit.
For a mile between the stations, all wires up from the "Golf Course" Footbridge (approx. 14m 04ch) to half a mile south of Horwich Pkwy (approx. 15m 10ch). Earth wires have gone up on the Down side immediately north of the station; these presumably extend to the existing wired section.
All masts appear to be in place with SPS for the remaining sections between the two, including the A6027/De Havilland Way overbridge, which now has dangly bits mounted on the walls.

19. Horwich Parkway Station; 15m 50ch
Two new TTCs up on the south end of the platforms; one portal and one TTC to go up. Bedanglied TTCs now up through the station, with more to erect.

20. Horwich Pkwy (North End) - Blackrod (South End); 15m 50ch to 17m 14ch
All masts appear to be up NW of Horwich Pkwy to the M61 bridge. Earth/AT wires linking 9 masts together between the 2 stations, heading north (on the Up side) from immediately north of the M61 bridge (approx. 16m 29ch).
More Earth/AT wires are now up immediately NW of the footbridge at the NW end of Horwich Parkway Car Park, on the Down side (N'bound); the footbridge in question has also been sandwiched by some very complex-looking steelwork (presumably for the reduced clearances).
SPS appearing on portals near Blackrod, and SPS assemblies have been folded out of the way on the station's southern approach.
Work has resumed on the footbridge that will replace Red Moss foot crossing; complex portal/masts are up there too.

21. Blackrod Station; 17m 14ch
Some more bases in place, no masts, no wires. Empty mast base at the southern end (not the northern end, as was writ in error). Work also in progress in the station to add masts.

22. Blackrod (North End) - Adlington (South End); 17m 14ch to 19m 15ch
Lots of masts up just north of Blackrod, with SPS all fitted. Some base replacement work occurred over 17th/18th Feb to replace failed bases. Successful bases have masts up with SPS on.

23. Adlington Station; 19m 15ch
2 single masts up (one on each side) and 2 TTCs (on one of the sides); all are bedanglied and earth bonded. The raod bridge at the southern end has also been stalactited. No wires.

24. Adlington (North End) - Chorley (South End); 19m 15ch to 22m 20ch
2 short stretches of wire on the s'bound track.
All bespoke mast fixings are now up on Yarrow Viaduct (21m 26ch at the southern end); work had stopped after the alleged discovery of a large void within the structure, but this appears to be resolved. All evidence of a worksite has now gone, which suggests a portal (south end) and a TTC (north end) are next!

25. Chorley Station; 22m 20ch
No wires. First mast now up over the Down/Northbound/Preston-bound platform; this is at the nothern end of the station, and features dangly bits.

26. Chorley (North End) - Buckshaw Pkwy (South End); 22m 20ch to 24m 39ch
Many bases, some masts, 1 or 2 wires. Roof brackets affixed in Chorley Tunnel (23m 20ch to 23m 25ch), and at least 6 dangly bits/SPS are up in the Flying Arches cutting. All bases on top of the retaining wall at the northern end now have portal booms affixed.
One of the problem bases nr Chorley is now being sorted.

27. Buckshaw Parkway Station; 24m 39ch
Some bases in place, 2 TTCs up on the Down side, 1 TTC up on the Up side. The footbridge has now sprouted stovepipes. No wires.

28. Buckshaw Pkwy (North End) - Euxton Jct; 24m 39ch to 25m 31ch
Almost fully masted; about half the wires up until halfway to Euxton, then fully wired the rest of the way.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've had some follow-on correspondence with Wrinkley; he's been down to trackside at Lostock today and commented: "I had a look this afternoon, the crossbar is still on the floor, I’m not sure what was done last night.

Murphys appear to be digging a trench from the substation to the southern power feed portal."

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I've had some follow-on correspondence with Wrinkley; he's been down to trackside at Lostock today and commented: "I had a look this afternoon, the crossbar is still on the floor, I’m not sure what was done last night.

Murphys appear to be digging a trench from the substation to the southern power feed portal."

Hmmmm I thought the only real problem in that area was two problem bases on the Wigan line. That in turn would delay the masts, SPS, wires etc which would then have some impact on the wiring in the area one would think. This issue appears unconnected imho

John Boy

The Gravity "Base of the century" just south of the Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge (approx. 8m 67ch) now has a brother, it looks like the preceding base coming from Farnworth towards Bolton.

All of the steel work is in and it's shuttered ready for the pour of concrete. I'll try and get a photo when I'm in Manchester on Thursday all depends if I can be next to a window on rush hour trains

snowball

Established Member
A new Network Rail press release:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...ay-upgrade-final-programme-of-work-confirmed/

Manchester-Preston railway upgrade – final programme of work confirmed

Network Rail today warned train customers of forthcoming disruption as it works to complete its Manchester-Bolton-Preston railway upgrade.
  • Railway upgrade engineers will continue mid-week overnight working and weekend working until Sunday 4 November.
  • The programme includes a nine-day closure of the railway, from 25 August until Sunday 2 September, when buses will replace trains.
Martin Frobisher, managing director for Network Rail’s London and North Western route, said: “Our Manchester-Preston upgrade is part of the Great North Rail Project, the rail industry’s team effort to transform train travel for customers across the North through track and train improvements.

“I’m sorry for the further short-term disruption that this work will cause, but please don’t lose sight of the long-term improvements which will be delivered. In future electric-powered, greener, faster, more frequent, more spacious, more reliable trains will become the norm through the Bolton corridor.”

Martin added: “We recognise the May timetable change resulted in poorer service for many customers than it should have done. We are working together with our train company partners to resolve current issues as soon as possible.”

In early January Network Rail announced delays to its May 2018 deadline to complete its Preston-Manchester upgrade.

This was caused by unforeseen poor ground conditions hampering engineers’ progress installing foundations for masts to carrying overhead power lines.

Delays to progress were compounded by the collapse of Carillion, the lead contractor for the scheme.

With Amey having now replaced Carillion as the main contractor, progress is accelerating. There now only remains three problem foundations (from a total of 1,659). With 117 masts (from a total of 1,519) still to install.

The Manchester-Bolton-Preston upgrade is over 25 miles of track and is vast in scale. It has involved the widening and rebuilding of Farnworth Tunnel, remodelling of tracks and platforms through Chorley and Bolton stations, the renewal of 13,883m of track, replacement of 93 signals, and the laying of 236,000m of cables.

All passengers who travel through the Bolton corridor are advised to check before they travel on www.nationalrail.co.uk or with their train operator.

I'm not sure whether this is further slippage since #7704, since that mentions both September and November in a slightly confusing way.

Closed from August bank holiday weekend to the next weekend.

117 masts still to install; not clear how many foundations - could it be just the three "problem" ones?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Indeed it is a bit confusing. Hopefully November is just building in some contingency, if progress continues at the current rate then September is very reasonable! We've gone from 188 masts to 117 in just over 3 weeks (see post 7516), so if they keep adding over 70 per month then that means finishing masts by the middle of August (assuming the remaining problem bases don't cause too much trouble).

Update: I asked on twitter and it is definitely three bases in total remaining.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
If there are just three bases remaining, and John Boy has identified one of them, where are other two?

LDECRexile

Established Member
ALX400 has just dropped me a line about sightings on his way to work:

"Just noticed that TTC I photographed has gained its top bit and been danglified last night. An AT wire or earth wire has also reached the last mast near the bridge at Station Road from Horwich Parkway, it’s on the down towards Horwich.
I'll try and get some photos tomorrow after work, maybe a bit more gets done tonight, seems to be gathering pace now, once Blackrod is masted and danglied it’ll be ready for wires all the way to Chorley."

Thanks ALX

DJH1971

Established Member
ALX400 has just dropped me a line about sightings on his way to work:

"Just noticed that TTC I photographed has gained its top bit and been danglified last night. An AT wire or earth wire has also reached the last mast near the bridge at Station Road from Horwich Parkway, it’s on the down towards Horwich.
I'll try and get some photos tomorrow after work, maybe a bit more gets done tonight, seems to be gathering pace now, once Blackrod is masted and danglied it’ll be ready for wires all the way to Chorley."

Thanks ALX
More encouraging signs

snowball

Established Member
OCR wiring train is booked for end of next month

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCR

OCR may refer to:

Status
Not open for further replies.