• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wrinkley

East of Dean Clough Bridge (12m 26ch), only two masts are missing; these are on the concrete gravity pad replacements for failed piles.
Between Dean Clough Bridge and Lostock Station, all masts of all varieties are now up. Earth wires are already being strung, but registration arms are still folded out of place

The two missing masts at Dean Clough are going up today, photos sent to Dave.

inianin

Good afternoon, I've just joined...
I had a pleasure to see some earth wires in Chorley station being instaled today.
It looks to me as if the metalwork at the station was finished but some distances seem to me to long (hard to judge, I'm just trying to compare one to another).
Are they short enough (I hope!) or additional bases and weeks are needed?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
The two missing masts at Dean Clough are going up today, photos sent to Dave.

...and here they are...

in Wrinkley's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157654034635234

and in the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Very encouraging. With those two masts installed at Dean Clough the only "orphans" that I know of are Yarrow Viaduct (3), the bespoke portal near Newport St bridge (2) and the wicketkeeper at the end of Platform 2 at Bolton. (1). Does anyone know different?

LDECRexile

Established Member
I had a pleasure to see some earth wires in Chorley station being instaled today.
It looks to me as if the metalwork at the station was finished but some distanses seem to me to long (hard to judge, I'm just trying to compare one to another).
Are they still short enough (I hope!) or aditional bases and weeks are needed?

Welcome to you and to your good tidings!

Were you able to take any photos?

inianin

I hadn't taken them, because I didn't think about being here, although I read about progress every day.
Next time I do but my camera is not perfect, hopefully the pictures will be good enough.
Actually the wires I saw were not at the station itself but towards the north from it.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
It looks to me as if the metalwork at the station was finished but some distanses seem to me to long (hard to judge, I'm just trying to compare one to another).
Are they still short enough (I hope!) or aditional bases and weeks are needed?

Welcome - we all look forward to your contributions- written, photographic or indeed other.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I hadn't taken them, because I didn't think about being here, although I read about progress every day.
Next time I do but my camera is not perfect, hopefully the pictures will be good enough.
Actually the wires I saw were not at the station itself but towards the north from it.

We'll be delighted to receive photos of any quality. My simple rule is that a poor shot is better than no shot. We receive photos ranging from professional quality to ones taken through dirty train windows using a mobile phone. No money ever changes hands in either direction.

Readers can ignore owt they feel unworthy of their attention.

By the way, if you are a Chorley person, can you get to Hoggs Lane to see if there's any sign of work on Yarrow Viaduct?

TBSchenker

Well last week there was no wiring visible that was done on Thursday night, despite the quick progress of the previous nights. That’s not to say no earth wiring was installed - I wasn’t checking that, but the progress made on wednesday night was to Blackrod Jn, where the wire terminating point remained on Thursday night.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Viewing the Down line today, catenary/contact wiring now extends about half way between Blackrod and Adlington stations.
There was a mast plus boom lying in the cess north of Adlington station, and a base without steelwork south of Lostock.
The wiring at Salford Crescent is only on the Vic-Bolton axis, there's another catenary wire route to go up through the station yet on the Ordsall Lane-Atherton axis.
But good to see the rapid wiring progress at last.

Last edited:

Tricky1

We'll be delighted to receive photos of any quality. My simple rule is that a poor shot is better than no shot. We receive photos ranging from professional quality to ones taken through dirty train windows using a mobile phone. No money ever changes hands in either direction.

Readers can ignore owt they feel unworthy of their attention.

A few of the pictures I took at Lostock this morning.

20180723_101302.jpg 20180723_101532.jpg View attachment 49980

Elecman

Established Member
Tricky1 can I please ask you to remove the engineers name and phone number fron your wires up photo

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Tricky1 can I please ask you to remove the engineers name and phone number fron your wires up photo

I've attempted to edit (remove) the photo. I hasten to add it was displayed on the platform at Lostock.

So in other words - in the public domain. I am sure Elecman has his reasons but when stuff is in the public domain - well - it is in the public domain.

Inox

Why is 2 foot of the earthing strap missing from the up platform at Lostock on the north abutment? Looks like it's cut off at the fastener

LDECRexile

Established Member
I unexpectedly travelled from Manchester Piccadilly to Southport via Bolton last night in the near dark.

I couldn't see any wiring changes, specifically, still no wicketkeeper at Bolton Platform 2 and the bespoke portal next to Newport Street bridge still not up.

Tricky1

wrinkley

The attached letter from Network Rail was received by someone living close to the line today, it came through the door with the junk mail.

Note the date on the letter and the dates for the first two lots of work.

IMG-20180724-WA0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.