• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBSchenker

I have some archive photos that may be of interest. Do you want me to post them here or can I link them via Flickr?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
I have some archive photos that may be of interest. Do you want me to post them here or can I link them via Flickr?

If you have them in a flickr album I would be delighted to link it to the Combined Volume.

If you post a link to the album here in this thread I can link it to the very first image along with others who have kindly agreed the same thing.

Win, win all round I reckon.

Thanks for the offer.

Dave

PS same applies to anyone else!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Wrinkley has kindly sent a batch of encouraging shots of work in the Lostock and Ladybridge area.

He added: "There is quite a lot of action around Lostock this weekend, they are replacing part of the up line platform surface and there is some wiring activity.

The up line earth wire now stretches from the station to well past Dean Clough, where some of the registration arms have been swung into position.

Between the station and Ladybridge there were three roadrailers putting fixings up for the autotransformer cable, including pulleys at the end of the AT support, I expect that the cable will go in shortly, followed by the catenary on the up line.

The replacement rail for the down line is lying inside the track starting at the Ladybridge and runs back past Dean Clough back towards Bolton.

The last portal at the station is still without its crossbar, which seems to have disappeared. However there are two masts lying at the side of the up line just south of the station, I must have missed two empty bases, but I still can’t see them.

I will try to do a trip by train from Lostock to Bolton and back tomorrow and see if they can be found and how far the wiring goes beyond Dean Clough."

I've added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157654034635234

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thank you Wrinkley.

Clip

Established Member
Passed through there yesterday on the rrb and was pleased to see work going on as the other week the orange men were doing some work at chorley but didnt see anything yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Anyone know a rough estimate of the total cost of Manchester-Preston or Manchester-Blackpool electrification or what the most recent estimates were?

PN27

Hi folks, been lurking on this thread for a bit, then decided to register.

Over the weekend, a further wire run on each line was installed between Douglas Valley golf course and Huyton viaduct. (See first picture) A further run on the Up line was installed last night between Bradshaw Fields (new footbridge just north of Adlington station) and Huyton viaduct- see other pictures. Some tweaking still to be done; at least one temporary fixing has been used.

The wiring train appears to be booked in every night this week; it looks like they're doing the equivalent length on the Down line tonight.

Strangely, the Feeder wire on the Down side through the Huyton Viaduct area hasn't been installed; it's going to be harder to install it with the contact wire in place.

Had a look at Yarrow viaduct earlier today; still no masts in place.

Attachments

• OHLE limit 30th July.JPG
    OHLE limit 30th July.JPG
    856 KB · Views: 75
  • Bradshaw Southbound.JPG
    Bradshaw Southbound.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Temp fixing ADL.JPG
    Temp fixing ADL.JPG
    886.2 KB · Views: 66
  • ADL station.JPG
    ADL station.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 69

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Over the weekend, a further wire run on each line was installed between Douglas Valley golf course and Huyton viaduct. (See first picture) A further run on the Up line was installed last night between Bradshaw Fields (new footbridge just north of Adlington station) and Huyton viaduct- see other pictures. Some tweaking still to be done; at least one temporary fixing has been used.

The wiring train appears to be booked in every night this week; it looks like they're doing the equivalent length on the Down line tonight.

Strangely, the Feeder wire on the Down side through the Huyton Viaduct area hasn't been installed; it's going to be harder to install it with the contact wire in place.

Hello, welcome. Thanks for your contribution- very welcome indeed.

DJH1971

Established Member

Welcome on board and thanks for these nuggets of progress.

LDECRexile

Established Member

Welcome and thank you for your clear notes.

Please may I add your photos to the Combined Volume? If I may, may I also add any future shots without having to ask you each time?

wrinkley

Aren't they actually saying they were wiring it the weekend now gone?

The Twitter feed also describes the platform work at Lostock as lengthening a platform:

https://twitter.com/TheGNRP/status/1024228329375916033

I have checked my previous photos, the platform has not been lengthened, the end is still level with the end of the northbound platform and you can see that the slope at the platform end is untouched, also it's still the same distance from the mast just past the end. They have only replaced the surface and the timber below.

LDECRexile

Established Member

TBSchenker

Confirming PN27s post from yesterday, the Down Bolton now has catenary and contact wire from just north of Adlington station towards Lostock, mirroring that which was described on the Up Bolton.

TBSchenker

28BFCA8B-5B84-40DA-9C51-1F62DD35898A.jpeg 47992102-7A71-4E96-A73B-FB13DB8D6233.jpeg
Eyes peeled for the "other" wall mounted portal at Bolton West and the stovepipes and arms under Newport Street bridge ...

Not sure what you mean by “other”, but got a photo from a train of these two at Bolton West Jn which I hadn’t seen previously. Not sure if these are new or not?

LDECRexile

Established Member
Reg has kindly sent shots of what are probably the final masts between Orlando Street bridge and Beaumont Road, Lostock. Those photos make a happy match with TBSchenker's, seen above.

I've added Reg's shots to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157671732263863

and TBSchenker's to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157668239371996

Their harmonious photos are now in the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thanks to you both.

This marks the end of a quiet period in the Bolton station area. Let's hope progress continues.

PS Reg also reported more danglification in the Bolton area.

Foggycorner

Those walls are all the correct height for the new spec , if you wanted to climb over and touch the portal you would have to use a ladder and then climb onto the ironwork and reach down to the OHL and ZAPP fried idiot

deltic08

On Moderation
Later is now - certainly at least one is now fitted with an ACG (anti-climb guard) on the up side
Why do we always have to save people from themselves. A sign or pictogram should be enough. If they are stupid enough to climb and be electrocuted, then it is natural selection.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Leaving the moral issue aside, I suggest it's well worth the cost of an anti-climber if it avoids just one huge delay incident caused by someone climbing the OLE (whether they survive or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.