• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy3001

Established Member
I've just been reading the comments on the bolton news link and some of them don't have a clue whats what and whats not, they still think the pacers will be still in service when the electrification is finished and one works for a sub-tractor that refurbs the northern trains and if i know company policy you shouldn't report anything to the press or on social media.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
But that's not what it says. It says "However, because of the delays to that scheme, the first electrical services will not be seen in Bolton until at least May 2019."
I didn't say it was 100% accurate. I said it is probably pretty correct, i.e. largely based on fact with a couple of minor details incorrect.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Bolton could still get Pacers as well as electric trains next year, if they are used on Wigan/Blackburn services.
A lot also depends on Northern's EMU crew training situation and train availability.
Then there's the 769s...

wrinkley

Letters have gone out today, energisation date Friday 28th September.

I had a look around Lostock station today, three or four runs of cable ducting have been laid between the AT substation and the feeder point just past the north end of the station, but I can't see any cables at the end of the ducts or on the masts at the feeder point. Nor can I see any cables at the feeder point south of the station. If energisation is to happen on 28th September, then there is a big job to do by then. The cables at the north end will have to run from the substation in four sets of ducting mounted on posts on the upline side, cross under the tracks to a UTX in the vee of the junction, run in ducting along the Wigan upline to a UTX beyond the bridge, cross to a UTX beside the Preston down line and then in ducting to the feeder point. It has taken a full day shift to run and connect a cable under the bridge on each side of the track at Dean Clough and the same at the Ladybridge, the Lostock work looks far longer and more complicated.

wrinkley

If the throw enough labour at it, it could be done, I am assuming that because of the number of bends on the cable that will not be done in one piece, which means that there will be a lot of joints to make.

59CosG95

Established Member
GSoP Post 20.0 - 20 not out.
Manchester Victoria - Preston; State of Play, week beginning 17th September 2018.

All masts in! Approx. 90/98 wire runs complete. Due to go LIVE on 28th September.
Based on wiring completion by the end of September, the week beginning 8/10/18 will see test runs; 10/10/18 specifically pencilled in for Pendolini.
All mileages from Manchester Victoria. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.

1. Man Vic Station (West End) - Man Vic West Jct - Deal Street Jct; 0m 0ch to 0m 32ch
Fully wired 2013-15. Platforms 1 & 2 at Man Vic have now been bedanglied.

2. Deal Street Jct - Salford Central (East End); 0m 32ch to 0m 59ch
Fully masted. Limit of electrification is currently at 0m 46ch; SPS is up along the unwired stretch.

3. Salford Central; 0m 59ch
Fully masted, most SPS (Small Part Steelwork e.g. dangly bits) up. The missing mast at the western end is now up, and is now in use as an SSA (self-supporting anchor), though insulators are yet to be spliced in. Earth wire now up on the Up side through the station. Lift to the westbound platform now open again.
The wires also overlap into the CEMEX sidings.

4. Salford Central (West End) - Windsor Bridge South Jct; 0m 59ch to 1m 46ch
Two runs of Earth wire are up. Catenary & contact wires are now also up from west of Salford Central to Agecroft; details below.

5. Windsor Bridge South Jct - Windsor Bridge North Jct (inc. Salford Crescent); 1m 46ch to 1m 70ch
Windsor Bridge South Jct now wired (catenary/contact) from the Deal St direction on both the Up & Down Salford Lines; however, the Up Bolton line is fully wired through Salford Crescent, and terminated just north of Windsor Bridge North Jct. Earth wires (+ AT wires) are also in situ here.
All lines through Salford Crescent are wired with the exception of P1 (which is wireless, bar the crossover - see below).
Repairs to the wooden fence on the eastern side have/are taken/taking place.
Further wiring details:
Up Bolton is wired from Agecroft South Jn, to Windsor Bridge South Jn (via the avoiding line at Crescent), where the wires continue onto the Up Salford, ending just south of Salford Central.
Agecroft South Jct Crossover is now fully wired.
The same length is wired on the Down Salford/Down Bolton, through P2 (Down platform) at Crescent.
In addition, the crossover from the Down Bolton to the Up/Dn Bolton (Crescent P1) is wired, but only this section - the wires do not continue to meet the Up Bolton.
The crossover between the Up and Down Salford at Windsor Bridge South Jn is also wired.
No wires between Windsor Bridge South Jn and the existing limit of electrification at Ordsall Lane, no wires on Platform 1 and nothing on the overrun towards Atherton.

6. Windsor Bridge North Jct - Clifton (South End); 1m 70ch to 4m 57ch
Catenary & contact wires are up from west of Salford Central to Agecroft (Sth Jct, by the bin terminal) over both lines.
Between Frederick Rd & Broughton Rd (2m 26ch) bridges, the Up side earth wire extends south from Broughton Rd as far as the line is visible.
Between Broughton Rd Bridge & Cockrobin Bridge, the Up side earth wire is up (for about 4 masts northwards, thru Pendleton Old).
North of Cockrobin Bridge, an Earth wire and an AT wire have gone up on the Down (northbound) side.
Both lines are wired (C&C) between Agecroft North Jn and a point roughly level with the north end of HMP Forest Bank (aka Strangeways); C&C wires on the Down are now confirmed to start a few hundred yards south of Clifton.
At Park House Rd Bridge, the first earth wire is now up on the Up side.
Lot of masts with SPS up on the southern approach to Clifton.

7. Clifton Station; 4m 57ch
Fully masted. No wires. Drainage manhole modules awaiting installation; temporary covers are over their future homes.

8. Clifton (North End) - Bolton (South End); 4m 57ch to 10m 50ch
Brackets are fitted to the underside of the M60 overbridge. Bridge MVE1 27B (immediately NW of this) is fully erected, but unopened, and work the walkway is not yet finished.
Earth wires now up between Clifton & Kearsley; the Down side is continuous but it is unknown if the Up side is identically so.
Both lines are fully wired from well south of Kearsley, through Kearsley Station and through Farnworth Tunnel to stop at Lever St Footbridge (just south of Bolton station). The Down Line wiring also has a break in the Dixon Fold area.
Earth wire certainly in through Farnworth tunnel, and the stations at Farnworth & Moses Gate.

SPS and Tensorex drums appearing on some masts/cantilevers around Burnden Jct (10m 09ch).
The Platform 5 Line is fully wired (C&C) from the points at Weston St to Orlando St Bridge.
The Platform 4 Line (Down Bolton) is now wired from Weston Street through Bolton to the existing wired section at Lostock; ditto the Platform 3 Line (Up Bolton).
South of Lever Street footbridge, the Up Line now has ATF wires installed.

9. Bolton Station; 10m 50ch
All masts in the station area are now in place. Earth wires now in.
Platform 1: Bolts & brackets now drilled into the glazed brick retaining wall opposite the platform. Wiring team focused on P1 during 30/8.
Platform 2: Line is fully wired (C&C) from the points at Weston St to the SSA (Self-Supporting Anchor - aka "the wicketkeeper"). Insulators have yet to be installed on the wicketkeeper, and most fixings are still temporary. Buffers look finished.
Platform 3 (Up Bolton): Wired from Orlando St Bridge, through the station, and onwards to Lostock & the WCML. The majority of fixings used are permanent (some are still temporary).
Platform 4 (Down Bolton): Wired from Weston Street through P4 and onwards to Lostock & the WCML.
Platform 5: Wires now going up in the station; drainage work presumed complete.
Platforms 98% open to public; the 2% not open is a fenced-off section of canopy support to the right of signal "MP9239". Canopies look complete.

10. Bolton (North End) - Lostock (South End); 10m 50ch to 13m 52ch
Both the Up (P3) & Down (P4) Bolton Lines have been wired from Bolton station, past Lostock ATF Sectioning Station, over Lostock Jct and through Lostock Station to the existing wires at Golf Course Footbridge.
The run of masts between Newport St & the NW end of P5 now have their earth wire affixed.
The crossover NW of Newport Street has not been wired yet.
Between the 2nd & 3rd bridges NW of Newport St (the unknown bridge & Dawes St), the mast in photo A732m has led a chequered life, being assembled, dismantled and then re-assembled!It has now been reinstated parallel to the two bridges it was installed between, and already bears the wires on the Down Bolton (temporary fixings, AFAIK).
Cable ducting troughs laid in the Down Side Cess between Bolton Station, past Newport Street, under Soho Street, Black Horse St & New St, and through Bullfield Tunnel.
The overrun along the line to Blackburn (as far as Bradshawgate Tunnel) has now been wired from P3; unsure if wires are also due to reach there from P1.
Earth wire up on the Down side west of Moor St Tunnel.

Between Moor Lane & Lostock, Earth wires have already been strung.
Autotransformer wires now largely up between Moor Lane & Mayor St. Bridges, and between Lostock & Ladybridge (on both lines); they have now gone under Dean Clough Bridge & the Ladybridge on both sides.
A UTX has been installed in the "vee" in Lostock Jct; this now takes the ATF wires for both routes at Lostock Jct.
Most (if not all) wires are now up over Lostock Jct itself.
All masts now up on the Wigan overlap; earth wires now up too, in varying lengths on both sides. C&C wires also up on the overlap on both lines until the Limit of Wiring. Some dangly arms have not yet been installed.

11. Lostock Station; 13m 52ch
Switchgear box delivered 6th April '18. Over the August Bank Holiday Weekend, the two Autotransformers (AT1 & AT2) were delivered.
Both Preston Lines wired through the station to connect with the existing wires north of "Golf Course" footbridge.
Platform extension/resurfacing work complete on the Down platform (fully) and the Up platform (NW of the station bridge); work on the Up platform still ongoing east of the bridge.
ATF wires for both the Preston & Wigan Lines are in through the UTXs around the station; AT works are still ongoing.

12. Lostock (North End) - Euxton Jct; 13m 52ch to 25m 31ch
Two more UTXs have been installed in the "vee" between the Preston & Wigan lines, to the north of Lostock station; one takes the ATF wires for the Wigan Line, the other does the same for the Preston Line.
Immediately north of Lostock, the closest TTCs to the platforms have now sprouted part of their switchgear kit.
All C&C wires up on both lines from south of Bolton, through Lostock, Horwich, Blackrod & Adlington, over Yarrow Viaduct, through Chorley Station, Chorley Tunnel, the Flying Arches & Buckshaw Parkway to the WCML.
Temp. fixings still evident at Buckshaw Pkwy & Adlington stns. AT & earth wires not always present, but the C&C appears continuous.
On Yarrow Viaduct, the northern portal has now been installed. The Down side Earth wire is also up, but the Down side AT wire is still absent. (It is assumed this is replicated on the Up side.)
AT wires still need installation/remedial work at Station Rd Bridge (Blackrod; B5238; 17m 9ch) At least one registration arm still needs final fixing there too.
At Railway Rd Bridge (Adlington; 19m 0148yds), AT wires (and some earth wires) still need to be installed.
Within Adlington Station, temporary fixings (i.e. pulleys) are still extant. Orangemen were digging ducting trenches for the Earthing bonds for the TTCs on the Up platform.
Orangemen at work on the footpath at the foot of the northern steps of Heath Charnock FB.
Through Chorley Station, all wires bar the AT wires are installed.
The Buckshaw Parkway crossover is also wired.
Within Buckshaw Pkwy, the registration arms on the footbridge are not yet in position.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

59CosG95

Established Member
Dont want to sound silly but is number 5 the lines between salford crescent and deansgate?
Partially, yes. Windsor Bridge S Jct is the first junction south of Salford Crescent, but the material covered in the above post mainly pertains to the wires from the Manchester Victoria direction, not the Deansgate direction.
From Deansgate, the Bolton Lines are already wired as far as Ordsall Lane Junction; the lines west of Man Vic thorugh Salford Central are the only unelectrified lines in the Deal Street/Ordsall Lane area.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Partially, yes. Windsor Bridge S Jct is the first junction south of Salford Crescent, but the material covered in the above post mainly pertains to the wires from the Manchester Victoria direction, not the Deansgate direction.
From Deansgate, the Bolton Lines are already wired as far as Ordsall Lane Junction; the lines west of Man Vic thorugh Salford Central are the only unelectrified lines in the Deal Street/Ordsall Lane area.

Thanks for that, so the piccadilly lines are electrified just the vic lines to do, i'll probably have a nosey when i'm back in the UK in the new year for a week. :D:)

TBSchenker

I do hope that infuriating 60mph Temporary Speed Restriction at Adlington will be removed prior to testing taking place.

It being for ‘condition of crossing’ that was removed, fenced off and replaced by a footbridge last year .

LDECRexile

Established Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
Personal travel turmoil caused by RMT then Ryanair pilots over the past ten days have had an unexpected upside, I have been able to do a train tour Southport-Bolton-both Salfords and back today.

Whilst I was on Wigan NW a class 195 whizzed by southwards, alas, I didn't have my camera to hand.

On to "our" line:

1. The Wigan line overlaps at Lostock still end without insulators.
2. Bolton Platform 5: Orangemen installing supports for shin-high ducting.
3. Bolton Platform 5: The wiring overhead does not appear to have moved on since Reg's photo last week.
4. Bolton Platform 4: No obvious wiring changes
5. Bolton Platform 4: Gents is back in working order at last
6. Bolton Platform 4: The cordoned-off area south of the platform buildings has been uncordoned, but no obvious change to the roof.
7. Bolton Platform 3: The overrun towards Blackburn runs part way along Platform 3
8. Bolton Platform 2: The overhead wiring still ends without insulators.
9. Bolton Platform 1: No visible change. I still believe there is a wiring support missing between the wall-mounted one at the southern end of the glazed brick wall and the mast next to the signal north of Trinity St bridge. I could see no hieroglyphs on the underside of the bridge or anything on the glazed wall itself.
10. Base for mystery structure between Moses Gate and Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge appears to be curing, but what it is to support remains unclear. Nothing fixed on to p of the mystery concrete blocks in the southbound cess.
11. Catenary wire without contact wire over Down (northbound) line where it passes under overhead power lines south of Kearsley now has contact wire.
12. Contact and catenary wires (CC) now pass over both tracks through Clifton station. 11. and 12 therefore combine to mean continuous CC runs over both tracks from north of Green Lane bridge, Bolton to Windsor Bridge North Junction (yippee!)
13. Catenary but not contact wire now runs through Salford Crescent Platform 1.
14. CC appears to run on the Atherton line overlap at Salford Crescent. I couldn't make out how far or whether over both tracks, definitely over the Atherton-bound line.
15. CC appears to run over both tracks as far as the eye can see southwards from Salford Crescent towards Ordsall Junction.
16. Progress at Salford Central with removing protruding roofing beams from over the westbound platform.
17. Orangemen at work installing ducting "for earth wires" at shin height along the eastbound platform wall.

Quite a sprinkling of pulleys and other temporary wire fixes here and there. No idea where we are with AT and other wires to be pulled through ducting along the whole line. No idea whether the mega-electrical thingy at Lostock is close to usable. Progress seen to day is encouraging, but there dunnarf seem a lot to do.

Photos later.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Personal travel turmoil caused by RMT then Ryanair pilots over the past ten days have had an unexpected upside, I have been able to do a train tour Southport-Bolton-both Salfords and back today.

Whilst I was on Wigan NW a class 195 whizzed by southwards, alas, I didn't have my camera to hand.

On to "our" line:

1. The Wigan line overlaps at Lostock still end without insulators.
2. Bolton Platform 5: Orangemen installing supports for shin-high ducting.
3. Bolton Platform 5: The wiring overhead does not appear to have moved on since Reg's photo last week.
4. Bolton Platform 4: No obvious wiring changes
5. Bolton Platform 4: Gents is back in working order at last
6. Bolton Platform 4: The cordoned-off area south of the platform buildings has been uncordoned, but no obvious change to the roof.
7. Bolton Platform 3: The overrun towards Blackburn runs part way along Platform 3
8. Bolton Platform 2: The overhead wiring still ends without insulators.
9. Bolton Platform 1: No visible change. I still believe there is a wiring support missing between the wall-mounted one at the southern end of the glazed brick wall and the mast next to the signal north of Trinity St bridge. I could see no hieroglyphs on the underside of the bridge or anything on the glazed wall itself.
10. Base for mystery structure between Moses Gate and Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge appears to be curing, but what it is to support remains unclear. Nothing fixed on to p of the mystery concrete blocks in the southbound cess.
11. Catenary wire without contact wire over Down (northbound) line where it passes under overhead power lines south of Kearsley now has contact wire.
12. Contact and catenary wires (CC) now pass over both tracks through Clifton station. 11. and 12 therefore combine to mean continuous CC runs over both tracks from north of Green Lane bridge, Bolton to Windsor Bridge North Junction (yippee!)
13. Catenary but not contact wire now runs through Salford Crescent Platform 1.
14. CC appears to run on the Atherton line overlap at Salford Crescent. I couldn't make out how far or whether over both tracks, definitely over the Atherton-bound line.
15. CC appears to run over both tracks as far as the eye can see southwards from Salford Crescent towards Ordsall Junction.
16. Progress at Salford Central with removing protruding roofing beams from over the westbound platform.
17. Orangemen at work installing ducting "for earth wires" at shin height along the westbound platform wall.

Quite a sprinkling of pulleys and other temporary wire fixes here and there. No idea where we are with AT and other wires to be pulled through ducting along the whole line. No idea whether the mega-electrical thingy at Lostock is close to usable. Progress seen to day is encouraging, but there dunnarf seem a lot to do.

Photos later.

Speaking of 195's, I saw 195003 this morning passing through St Helens Junction going eastwards most probably on a test run.

Didn't manage to get a photo as my train towards Liverpool was coming in.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
I love B290K - it has the Windsor Bridge South Junction sign in etc- a real action shot. B290I to me shows really good progress. 286G not just the wires but all the insulators etc - again, a real action shot.

Thanks Dave

Glad you like 'em and that they keep you up to speed in distant climes.

LDECRexile

Established Member
B274m - sheet piled base for the TSC (track sectioning cabin) - in this case a small comms. cabinet that commands the nearby motorised OLE switches. There will be many of these appearing, not all sheet piled though.

Thank you, as always, clear, helpful and informative.

Your last bit - "There will be many of these appearing" - seems to lengthen the odds on juice by the end of September.

Elecman

Established Member
I think as long as the 3 ATS units at Clifton, Lostock and Blackrod are in connected and commissioned the line can go Live for testing. The motorised switches can be fitted at a later date

deltic08

On Moderation
Looking at B234m of Farnworth, it is hard to believe that trains actually than through the mousehole. It looks too small.

Chrisyd

I assume that this is ducting for the new LED signals at Salford Central (they have set up a little work shop to cut this within the station building in the back arch between the two lifts):

by Chris Davis, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.