• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancastrian

You set me thinking with that last answer, as the mention of Ainsworth Lane station that you state was one that was something that did not register with me. There is an Ainsworth Lane in my old maps, but this is in Bolton and I could not trace one in Radcliffe.

However, after Bradley Fold station and Bradley Fold Junction, the line approached Ainsworth Road in Radcliffe then bifurcated, with the southern line running into Radcliffe Station. The northern line at the bifurcation ran under Ainsworth Road, where the station of Radcliffe Black Lane was situated. The line then ran on from there, running in parallel with Bury and Bolton Road until arriving at Bury Knowsley Street station.

Sorry folks, I need to make a correction here, it was not Ainsworth Lane Station, it was Ainsworth ROAD station, although in fact it was mainly referred to as a Halt, it closed 29/09/1953.

I apologise for any scratching of heads and wierd thoughts due to my error.

However my point that if these lines were still available for diversions then the need to use buses to transfer passengers from Bolton to Manchester would be irrelevant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry if this point has been raised previously in passing, but has there been any official statement on the type of provision of the Manchester to Clitheroe service during the enforced line closure. for those people who use this service for commuting directly into Manchester ?

Just another thought has occurred to me when reading this. Many moons ago when the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Riding Junction Railway, often just referred to as the Blackburn Railway was independent from both the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway as well as the East Lancashire Railway, it had a alternate route to Manchester from the Bolton area surveyed, this was to go through Radcliffe, Prestwich and Crumpsall, to terminate near Victoria in Manchester. It would have followed the route of the currant line quite closely.

However the problem was solved by it becoming a joint line between the L&YR and the ELR, both becoming one in 1859. If it had have been built as they planned, it is likely that the planed line from Bolton to Radcliffe might have still been open for services north of Bolton to Blackburn & beyond.

Just a thought.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sorry folks, I need to make a correction here, it was not Ainsworth Lane Station, it was Ainsworth ROAD station, although in fact it was mainly referred to as a Halt, it closed 29/09/1953.

I have also now delved into my archives about what I could unearth about Ainsworth Road halt, to supplement the information that you have kindly been at pains to provide.

It appears that there was a very basic facility in terms both of layout and facilities. This halt had no platforms and the rail-motors that provided the shuttle service from Bolton station to Radcliffe Central station had retractable steps to facilitate the movement of passengers on and off the trains. During the 1940's period, the halt was redesigned to conform with normal platform arrangements in preparation for the abandonment of the rail-motor service provision in 1947.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Due to the short distance between Preston & Blackpool North, will Network Rail be installing any 25kV Substations, Feeder Stations etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Due to the short distance between Preston & Blackpool North, will Network Rail be installing any 25kV Substations, Feeder Stations etc? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great question. Looking at the National Grid if they did it would seem Salwick would be the place for but that is fairly close to Preston. Otherwise Kirkham would be a better bet because I want to be optimistic and hope Kirkham - Blackpool South also gets wired eventually.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am home for a few days from the USA. D
Preston -Kirkham section.

Sidgreaves Lane/Darkinson lane bridge. Works complete and road now open. Some minor clearing up of site operations still needed.

Bridge between the above and Salwick Station on Lea Lane - no work done could not gain access without trespassing but looks like it will need to be raised for clearance.

Salwick Station bridge. Work started, temporary pedestrian bridge allowing station access in place. Road is closed but access allowed to residents up to the start of the works. Main spans in place. Work progressing nicely.

I will post photographs when I work outhow to do it!!!

driver9000

Established Member
I am home for a few days from the USA. D
Preston -Kirkham section.

Sidgreaves Lane/Darkinson lane bridge. Works complete and road now open. Some minor clearing up of site operations still needed.

Bridge between the above and Salwick Station on Lea Lane - no work done could not gain access without trespassing but looks like it will need to be raised for clearance.

Salwick Station bridge. Work started, temporary pedestrian bridge allowing station access in place. Road is closed but access allowed to residents up to the start of the works. Main spans in place. Work progressing nicely.

I will post photographs when I work outhow to do it!!!

Just to add to that, the farm bridge between Salwick and Spen Lane has been renewed/raised, the farm overbridge has been removed completely near Carr Lane (near the Boys brigade) and work is progressing well on the road bridge over Kirkham & Wesham station. It all seems to be coming along quite well and work is also taking place between Kirkham and Poulton.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just to add to that, the farm bridge between Salwick and Spen Lane has been renewed/raised, the farm overbridge has been removed completely near Carr Lane (near the Boys brigade) and work is progressing well on the road bridge over Kirkham & Wesham station. It all seems to be coming along quite well and work is also taking place between Kirkham and Poulton.

OK hope this works - Salwick Station looking east towards Preston

Attachments

• MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (12) (1024x768).jpg
    MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (12) (1024x768).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 130
  • MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (7) (1024x768).jpg
    MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (7) (1024x768).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 110
  • MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (10) (1024x768).jpg
    MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (10) (1024x768).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 111
  • MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (5) (1024x768).jpg
    MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (5) (1024x768).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

so here is that bridge - if nothing else due to "elth and safety guv'nor" this will have to be reconstructed when there is 25KV AC less than a metre away.

Attachments

• MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (18) (1024x768).jpg
    MAN-BPL Apr 2013 (18) (1024x768).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 146

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Has anyone any updtaes? I will not be home until July. Salwick station and bridge raising should be getting close to being finished. What about Kirkham and Wesham station road area etc?

itsjamierawr

I'm not entirely sure what they did at Kirkham, the road hasn't been raised as it's still the original Tarmac, only the pavements either side with new metal railings and metal panels at the side of the bridge (which in my opinion looks a bit of an eyesore compared to the old bridge sides). I just hope they get a move on with electrification, Preston-Bolton will be interesting though

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I'm not entirely sure what they did at Kirkham, the road hasn't been raised as it's still the original Tarmac, only the pavements either side with new metal railings and metal panels at the side of the bridge (which in my opinion looks a bit of an eyesore compared to the old bridge sides). I just hope they get a move on with electrification, Preston-Bolton will be interesting though

I went to Kirkham in the last few days- The tarmac looks new to me. I will go again tomorrow and photograph.

snowball

Established Member
I haven't been to Kirkham lately and I don't know whether anything's been said previously about what work would be done to this bridge, but in the abstract it's perfectly possible that they might only have increased the height or opacity of the parapets. It's a very normal thing to do when the line beneath is being electrified.

itsjamierawr

I went to Kirkham in the last few days- The tarmac looks new to me. I will go again tomorrow and photograph.

The Tarmac when they finished the work along the centre of the road was old, not been there for over a week as I'm on holiday but the pavements are new. I think it's to do with what someone else mentioned making the pavements safer from the power lines running underneath, I also think the entire bridge is thinner?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
http://www.therailengineer.com/2013/06/28/benefiting-from-experience/

Station Road overbridge in Kirkham was initially recommended for demolition and replacement. However, during the ECI [early contractor involvement] process, it was identified that the bridge deck had recently been strengthened by the addition of an over-slab arrangement and the loadings were isolated from the original structure. As it was that original structure which was snagging the gauge profile of the proposed OLE, a design solution was identified to remove it whilst allowing the new deck to remain in place, an approach that created a safer working environment for the team.

Collaboration between Network Rail and designers confirmed the feasibility of removing the original deck from track level, reducing disruption. There were significant benefits that resulted as utilities did not require diverting and no road closures were required.

The utilisation of a ‘Megalift’ bridge jacking technique resulted in the old bridge being removed in three 29-hour possessions.

ALX400

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding Manchester to Preston electrification?

I live quite near to the line in Horwich and really can't wait for the work to start, i have noticed that in certain places it seems NR have been carrying out ground tests along the line, such as digging big holes and filing them in again.

Some of the stations have been refurbished including Blackrod and Adlington, and I'm aware of bridge work starting in May next year, apparently there is major major work involved with this line due to the tunnels at Farnworth and at Chorley, I'm really intruiged as to how NR are going to do it all.

Any info would be great.

andyb2706

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding Manchester to Preston electrification?

I live quite near to the line in Horwich and really can't wait for the work to start, i have noticed that in certain places it seems NR have been carrying out ground tests along the line, such as digging big holes and filing them in again.

Some of the stations have been refurbished including Blackrod and Adlington, and I'm aware of bridge work starting in May next year, apparently there is major major work involved with this line due to the tunnels at Farnworth and at Chorley, I'm really intruiged as to how NR are going to do it all.

Any info would be great.

Don't be too eager for the work to start as all the work will be done on nights....piledriving at 3am equals distrubed nights!!! Just ask the people who live along the Chat Moss line.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Hello all,

Any info would be great.

As you will be aware, the Preston - Blackpool bit (phase 3) has been going a while - Phase 4 (Salford to Euxton) will start soon, with bridge reconstructions and track lowers. The other bits (the tunnels, Bolton, increases in permissible speed) will be delivered from spring 2015 into early 2016.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As you will be aware, the Preston - Blackpool bit (phase 3) has been going a while - Phase 4 (Salford to Euxton) will start soon, with bridge reconstructions and track lowers. The other bits (the tunnels, Bolton, increases in permissible speed) will be delivered from spring 2015 into early 2016.

In what phase is it proposed that the Grade II listed Chorley flying gritstone arches will be fully reinstated ?

ALX400

Cheers for merging this thread, i had no idea it was there lol, anyhow, went to Blackpool to watch the airshow on Sunday and noticed all the bridges now seem to be done looking great, half expected to see some sort of trackside structures in place but none as yet, still feels like there's old track in places with wooden sleepers round near Poulton and Kirkham, on exit from Preston that OHLE looks like it all needs renewing its in a dire state, does anyone know if thats in the plans ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Cheers for merging this thread, i had no idea it was there lol, anyhow, went to Blackpool to watch the airshow on Sunday and noticed all the bridges now seem to be done looking great, half expected to see some sort of trackside structures in place but none as yet, still feels like there's old track in places with wooden sleepers round near Poulton and Kirkham, on exit from Preston that OHLE looks like it all needs renewing its in a dire state, does anyone know if thats in the plans ?

NR has not let a contract for Phase 3 yet.
If Phase 2 is anything to go by it will be another year before anything happens on the ground related to the OHLE route to Blackpool.
Work has not yet started on the Earlestown-Edge Hill or Ordsall Lane-Victoria sections of Phase 2.
It seems to take 18-24 months to electrify a significant section of railway, from the date the first foundations go in.
So a mid-2014 start would be expected west of Preston.
In parallel NR has a lot of renewal and resignalling work to do.
Still no word on the eventual linespeed - 125mph was mooted, but no services capable of that speed have been approved by ORR.
Seems a little odd to deliver a 125mph route when the DfT hasn't asked for such services.

Status
Not open for further replies.