• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bletchley Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

It appears that tonight's Sleepers have been cancelled. Passengers will "Bussed" to their destnations. A tad different to a "Sleeper Cabin"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yummy125

Sorry for the small image:

news01326.jpg

From Railnews:

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/

trainplan1

LM twitter

"Euston update 23: the line has now reopened through Bletchley. This means we can free our trains and head south asap. More when known."

A-driver

Established Member
The loco approached Bletchley from the north on the up slow and got the signal to cross to the up fast at the crossover at the south end of the platform. Unfortunately it then took the 15mph crossover at about 40-50 mph. It made it through the slow end of the cross over, but smashed the points on the fast end, derailed and ploughed through the ballast to end up on the other side of the flyover.

I really hope that I'm reading this post the wrong way or missing something but would 'MKDRIVER' please let us know the source of this? Your screen name suggests you are also a driver and so I would be very disappointed if you are and have posted this...were you there? Have you told the RAIB this theory?

The evening standard article and comments wound me up enough but this posting (and infact all the stupid speculative posts on this thread) has really made me very angry. Once the REAL cause has been discovered by professionals then you can discuss it but to come up with your own theories for something like this, especially ones blaming such a serious incident on a single human being is really quite sick actually.

If it is found to be down to driver error then that is one thing but we do not know and so it is nothing other than disgraceful behaviour to point the blame in that direction.

As I say, I hope I have misread this thread somewhere but certain people should be rather ashamed of themselves.

Sorry to rant but I will not see one of my brothers spoken about like this, I expect it from evening standard readers but most certainly not from other train crew.

Aictos

Established Member
Yep, two lines now reopened with speed restrictions to protect staff on the other two lines.

Ain't Twitter wonderful?

headshot119

Established Member
I completely agree with the post just above me.

Let' not speculate people and leave finding out what happened to the professionals.

I wish the driver a speedy recovery, and hope you'll be back driving as soon as possible.

Minilad

Established Member
I really hope that I'm reading this post the wrong way or missing something but would 'MKDRIVER' please let us know the source of this? Your screen name suggests you are also a driver and so I would be very disappointed if you are and have posted this...were you there? Have you told the RAIB this theory?

The evening standard article and comments wound me up enough but this posting (and infact all the stupid speculative posts on this thread) has really made me very angry. Once the REAL cause has been discovered by professionals then you can discuss it but to come up with your own theories for something like this, especially ones blaming such a serious incident on a single human being is really quite sick actually.

If it is found to be down to driver error then that is one thing but we do not know and so it is nothing other than disgraceful behaviour to point the blame in that direction.

As I say, I hope I have misread this thread somewhere but certain people should be rather ashamed of themselves.

Sorry to rant but I will not see one of my brothers spoken about like this, I expect it from evening standard readers but most certainly not from other train crew.

I commented on the OP just after it was posted. I too think it was probably unwise to have posted these details here. Having said that, nowhere in the OP does it blame the driver outright although of course certain inferences could be made from the details

MK Tom

Established Member
I take it Marston Vale services weren't affected? Only it doesn't mention them anywhere either as being cancelled or as an alternative for Bletchley-London journeys.

Agree with those saying we shouldn't be speculating at this stage. Best wishes to the driver and congratulations to Network Rail for getting the slows back open in time for the evening peak. We really do have an amazing group of people maintaining our railways when it comes to things like this.

w0033944

Agree with those saying we shouldn't be speculating at this stage. Best wishes to the driver and congratulations to Network Rail for getting the slows back open in time for the evening peak. We really do have an amazing group of people maintaining our railways when it comes to things like this.

Hear hear!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Oh no, this has come as a shock.

I still sympathise for the Driver & like others, hope he makes a speedy recovery & is able to return to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ole man

30 metres of contact and catenary, 1 section insulator and re droppering have been required to temp sort of the OHLE, it will be looked at properly sat night.
NWR and Carillion sorted the OHLE out today

the sniper

Established Member

Again, this somewhat bemuses me. In my experience, news travels pretty fast on the railway. Everyone working in the area probably would have known this, especially if the driver had said it straight away and it had gone down on the various NR and TOC logs. Personally I don't say anything publicly about stuff I'm privy to, but everyone is free to make their own choice, and this was bound to come out sooner rather than later.

Whether what MKDRIVER did was wrong by the 'brothers' though is another matter... :oops:

Thoughts with the driver. I really do feel sorry for the guy as it must have been a hell of an ordeal. Hopefully it's not his fault.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Looks like most people have given up travelling.

I'm on the 1658 from MKC (ex-GLC 1200), a double Voyager that's half full at best. Went pretty slow through the derailment area but too dark to see much. Now at full speed going through Tring.

RPM

Established Member
Today, Chiltern Railways will have a chance to show their (frankly quite good) service between London Marylebone and Birmingham. I wonder how many passengers make a permanent switch to Chiltern Railways.

Lots of complimentary comments on the Chiltern Twitter feed from diverted pax today. The free WiFi seems to have impressed people. I think they will have won some converts.

It seems Chiltern pulled out all the stops to meet the increased demand today. I saw several strengthened 168 formations on the Birminghams today and the Banbury loco-hauled set appeared to have been pressed into service too. I think one or two Bicester services were formed of 172s vice 168s too, to release the 168s for strengthening Birmingham services.

I was told that a rake of Scotrail sleeper stock was worked (presumably empty) via the Chilten Main Line this afternoon, 67-hauled, although I didn't see it myself.

Minilad

Established Member
Lots of complimentary comments on the Chiltern Twitter feed from diverted pax today. The free WiFi seems to have impressed people. I think they will have won some converts today.

It seems Chiltern pulled out all the stops to meet the increased demand today. I saw several strengthened 168 formations on the Birminghams today and the Banbury loco-hauled set appeared to have been pressed into service too.

I was told that a rake of Scotrail sleeper stock was worked (presumably empty) via the Chilten Main Line this afternoon, 67-hauled, although I didn't see it myself.

My other half returned from Birmingham on the 1515 off Moor Street and text me saying she was on an old fashioned train !!
Upon further questioning I found out it was the rake with 67018 and it was packed.
She did comment on how comfortable it was though :lol:

A-driver

Established Member
The BBC says the train may have hit the points too fast. This still dosnt mean the driver was speeding does it?

I accept it may be human error but we still do not know do we?!

There are numerous possibilities about infrastructure problems which could result in the train being sent across the points without the driver realising the route had been set like that etc.

Lets just wait and see what the outcome is and not jump to conclusions.

Minilad

Established Member
The BBC says the train may have hit the points too fast. This still dosnt mean the driver was speeding does it?

I accept it may be human error but we still do not know do we?!

There are numerous possibilities about infrastructure problems which could result in the train being sent across the points without the driver realising the route had been set like that etc.

Lets just wait and see what the outcome is and not jump to conclusions.

I don't think anyone has actually come out and said it was the driver at fault. Just that the loco was travelling above line speed.

A-driver

Established Member
I agree with you XCdriver and apologise if I have given the wrong impression and perhaps been to harsh on MKDriver as his post does not actually blame the driver either.

Was still fuming from the ES article.

E16 Cyclist

Have just seen coverage on London Tonight and to the rear of the loco you can see a 'emergency reduction of speed indicator', so it is possible that the condition of track/points were to blame or equally it could be a case of confusion regarding the emergency speed restriction. But just goes to show not everything is cut and dried

Established Member
Speculation is always expected - although I agree that the media make things worse.

Thankfully no one was seriously injured and everything can be sorted within a few days, which is the main thing.

nr_signaller

The esr has been imposed as a result of this I believe for the safety of the staff carrying out repairs etc

WatcherZero

Established Member
Does appear that the initial Network Rail team that went in to do damage assessment after RAIB left were quite chatty to the media, multiple news outlets are quoting NR workers as the source of the detailed information on damage and likely cause.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just back from helping out on MK Station tonight. 99% percent of people were good natured and took the trouble in thier stride. Always the odd one not happy but they were no problem.

A call went out this afternoon for people from our office to help out on the station andi was happy to gie up some free time. LM, Virgin and NR staff worked really well to help people get away. There were a lot of volunteers form our offices and everyone worked well.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It appears that tonight's Sleepers have been cancelled. Passengers will "Bussed" to their destnations. A tad different to a "Sleeper Cabin"

I'd have offered to put people in a hotel, then travel very early in the morning (or at a later time if more convenient). Buses for that distance wouldn't be fun, although for some it might be vital to get there on time - so a choice would be nice.

the sniper

Established Member
I guess it was only route knowledge which stopped the sleepers getting to Euston this morning?

Laryk

Out if interest, here is the starter signal at bletchley on the slow line
fAoa4.jpg

And here is the set of points in question
MtCnE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.