• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail Class 91 and Mark IV coaches where are they going to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
91110 is also earmarked on account of its UK speed record.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed, despite what people are suggesting upthread.
Where does this information come from? I hope you are correct that 91110 and 91131 are both earmarked, but I have just dug up the old railway heritiage committee list of designations and sadly it doesn't support your assertion. 91031: 'Sir Henry
Royce' (last high-speed locomotive built for BR) is on that list, but 91010 isn't.

Also, I'm not sure exactly how old that list it, but it pre-2014 because, as stated on this page, the railway heritage committee has been replaced by the Railway Heritage Designation Advisory Board (RHDAB) in 2013. We have since heard that 91111 has been designated, but I can't find a list of designations published since then to confirm whether or not 91010 and/or 91031 are protected.

Interestingly however, the railway heritiage committee final report claims that 91031 is the one with the 161mph speed record. If that's correct, why does 91110 carry a plate saying it did 162mph? I think 91031 did 154mph once though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coppercapped

Established Member
The point I was getting at was that on the 91, they are excessively large?

No. The motors are as large as, or as small as, any other dc machine of the same power rating.

They fit within the bogie frame but are attached to the locomotive's underframe rather than the bogie so all their mass is sprung. The shafts are longitudinal to the locomotive and drive the wheels through a right angle final drive. An extension of the shaft through the other end of the motor carries the disc of the disc brake.

The final drive gearbox is carried by the bogie frame so only the mass of the wheelset is unsprung. There are no brake discs on the wheel cheeks adding mass. The bogie and suspension design is excellent and has been reported as giving very low track forces.

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
I hope one 91 can be kept in mainline condition, whether it be one of the ones destined for the national collection or otherwise. The cooling fan roar needs to live on!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed, despite what people are suggesting upthread.
As Rhydgaled says, according to whom? There appears to be no evidence of this.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interestingly however, the railway heritiage committee final report claims that 91031 is the one with the 161mph speed record. If that's correct, why does 91110 carry a plate saying it did 162mph? I think 91031 did 154mph once though.
Yes, that document is incorrect on a couple of accounts, as not only was it 91010 that set the 162mph speed record, it occurred in September 1989 rather than 1991.

91031 set the speed record of 154mph for a UK domestic train carrying passengers in 1995.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.