• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
86101 possibly on the Down Lowlander tonight (TOPS info, so TBC!)

...that said the Highlander ECS 5S95 (which it's showing as being on) hasn't left Wembley yet 25 mins after scheduled departure, so perhaps a(nother) change of plan on the cards.

Last edited:

86101 possibly on the Down Lowlander tonight (TOPS info, so TBC!)

...that said the Highlander ECS 5S95 (which it's showing as being on) hasn't left Wembley yet 25 mins after scheduled departure, so perhaps a(nother) change of plan on the cards.

There was an earlier 0Z86 from Mossend to Carigentinny. Which could add fuel to the fure

TimboM

Established Member
There was an earlier 0Z86 from Mossend to Carigentinny. Which could add fuel to the fure

Wrong end of the country though to impact whatever's going on at Wembley I reckon... talking of which 5S95 is moving now (30 Late)

0Z86 has been Activated, but not running yet it would seem, so not sure if it's a goer. Possibly 86401 as that's been in Mossend for a few weeks now awaiting repair and has been showing as "T" (awaiting Transfer to depot) on TOPS last few days, so might be heading to Craigentinny to be looked at.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
...excitement over. 90016 just gone in with 5S95 Highlander ECS in the end, so likely to be doing 1S26 Lowlander later.

TimboM

Established Member
Wrong end of the country though to impact whatever's going on at Wembley I reckon... talking of which 5S95 is moving now (30 Late)

0Z86 has been Activated, but not running yet it would seem, so not sure if it's a goer. Possibly 86401 as that's been in Mossend for a few weeks now awaiting repair and has been showing as "T" (awaiting Transfer to depot) on TOPS last few days, so might be heading to Craigentinny to be looked at.

UPDATE: 0Z86 earlier was indeed intended to be a move of 86401 to EC (Craigentinny) for assessment - however it needs hauling dead, and the loco that was planned to be used for this - 73967 - instead had to go up to Fort William today, as the loco up there (73971) has a potential issue. So 967 will haul 1B01 south from Fort William with 971 DIT I believe, with 971 then going to EC to be looked at.

86401 will be taken to EC another day - possibly tomorrow if it can be arranged.

haggishunter

Was on the seats from Euston to Inverness last night. Seated coach 'wrong' way round, left from Platform 15 - is that usual last time I was on it sure we left from the other end of the station. 47749 City of Truro between the seats and 67 leading on arrival to Inverness.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Was on the seats from Euston to Inverness last night. Seated coach 'wrong' way round, left from Platform 15 - is that usual last time I was on it sure we left from the other end of the station. 47749 City of Truro between the seats and 67 leading on arrival to Inverness.

Last time I used (months ago now) it the lounge was backwards, but that was a while ago. Buffet counter was not in use, seated coach sales were from the door of the kitchen.

TimboM

Established Member

It was a 66 (66742) leading 1S25 Edinburgh to Inverness last night with Colas 47749 providing the ETH.

The hired-in DB 67 (67003 currently) worked the Aberdeen portion.

Most probably mean these locos will work the respective southbound services tonight.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't like the fact when you are a solo traveller you will be barred from being able to 'share' a berth with a stranger on the new stock, so the only option will be a solo berth (or the seats).

GW43125

Established Member
I don't like the fact when you are a solo traveller you will be barred from being able to 'share' a berth with a stranger on the new stock, so the only option will be a solo berth (or the seats).

I found this out too. Went to book a trip for three of us in July and was presented with either £99 for the three of us in the seats or almost £300 for solo berths!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

That’s a blessing! Sharing a “bedroom” with a stranger is horrid on so many levels!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I'd rather be in the seats than share a berth. I was really disappointed they couldn't make the pods (or some kind of couchette) work.

BRX

Established Member
That’s a blessing! Sharing a “bedroom” with a stranger is horrid on so many levels!
It's not a blessing to have the choice of doing it or not removed. Some people are fine with it, especially if it makes a berth rather than a seat affordable.

TimboM

Established Member
Not a good night for the bed’s 1S25 cxl at Wbq http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O35733/2017/10/17/advanced to get the stock back to London.
1S26 Cxl at Eus, southbound’s cxl at Glc & Edb.

Due to WCML being closed in both directions near Lockerbie after 1M87 (Virgin Pendolino 390148) hit a tree.
From what I can gather the passengers are still on the respective trains using them as hotels for the night where applicable (including "1Z25" - which will mean they find themselves pulling into Euston in the early hours and not the Highlands...)

1M16 cancelled at Waverley to add to the 'full house'.
Fort William and Aberdeen portions not being attached and passengers asked to vacate by 03:30 (presumably so stock can run back north).
All other passengers (Lowlanders still at sat at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Euston and 1S25/1Z25 returning to Euston) can remain on the trains and use them as 'hotels'.

Passengers in Edinburgh can use their tickets on the 05:40, 05:48 or 06:26 Edinburgh to Kings Cross services.
Those in Glasgow can use the 06:50 to Kings Cross.
Those in Euston can use the 06:15 or 07:00 Kings Cross to Edinburgh services (and then any Scotrail connection to Glasgow if needed).

(Info via National Rail Twitter)

Last edited:

Established Member
Well that was an adventure. 1M16 set sail south from Inverness behind a 66/47 combo and we settled down for a wee dram in the lounge car then a good night's kip. The sleeping car attendant warned of possible storm damage, but thought no more about it until 03.15 when we were asked to decamp to the Jury's Inn hotel in Edinburgh. There the sleeper and hotel staff did all they could for everyone, asking that folks spread their further journey south to avoid a scrum for the 05.40 to London. Everyone resigned to the situation, only one passenger making impossible demands who was poiltely spoken to. Credit to the staff at Waverley too, while everyone else headed south they arranged free use of the shower facilities for me. (Yes that comes with the ticket but at Euston, not Edinburgh). All in all a bad situation handled well.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Most of us don't like the idea of sharing a cabin with a random person, but there should be a mechanism for online bookings to state that you know the other travellers or give your willing consent to share with someone else who has also willingly consented to sharing with a stranger at the time of booking.

This would then mean that those who want solo accommodation - which is I believe many of us - get it, but those who are prepared to share can also still travel without having to pay fortunes or ride in the seats.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Due to WCML being closed in both directions near Lockerbie after 1M87 (Virgin Pendolino 390148) hit a tree.
From what I can gather the passengers are still on the respective trains using them as hotels for the night where applicable (including "1Z25" - which will mean they find themselves pulling into Euston in the early hours and not the Highlands...)

1M16 cancelled at Waverley to add to the 'full house'.
Fort William and Aberdeen portions not being attached and passengers asked to vacate by 03:30 (presumably so stock can run back north).
All other passengers (Lowlanders still at sat at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Euston and 1S25/1Z25 returning to Euston) can remain on the trains and use them as 'hotels'.

Passengers in Edinburgh can use their tickets on the 05:40, 05:48 or 06:26 Edinburgh to Kings Cross services.
Those in Glasgow can use the 06:50 to Kings Cross.
Those in Euston can use the 06:15 or 07:00 Kings Cross to Edinburgh services (and then any Scotrail connection to Glasgow if needed).

(Info via National Rail Twitter)

I was quite surprised they didn't cancel them all outright earlier in the day given the severe weather warnings that were issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.