• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScottDarg

Currently in the Euston 1st class lounge awaiting the news!

Might be there a bit longer:
Service Update - Sunday 8th July: A points failure outside Euston is delaying the arrival of the northbound Highlander service. Boarding will commence as soon as possible once the train arrives on the platform.

All other services are expected to depart on time this evening.
Update from https://www.sleeper.scot/

Caleb2010

0S25 went northbound to Wembley Central - then back into the ether about 15 minutes ago - and hasn’t been seen since - Could be a fun night!

ScottDarg

0S25 went northbound to Wembley Central - then back into the ether about 15 minutes ago - and hasn’t been seen since - Could be a fun night!

Looks like it went into Wembley Inter City Depot to be put on the North end of the Highlander stock.

0S25 usually follows the ECS working and attaches to the stock at Euston, but it looks like the ECS move will be Top-and-Tailed tonight.

Caleb2010

It’s in now but needs preparation staff on train just said - it’ll be at least 1/2 hour!

So, at least a 120 late start!

ScottDarg

1S25 away from Euston 136 late. Theoretically just 10 mins or so in front of the lowlander!

Didn't pick up much time - 1S25 arrived into Edinburgh 118 mins late and is still 100+ mins late as it makes its way up to Inverness. The Fort William portion is currently running 110 mins late and the Aberdeen portion is 92 mins late.

Rough night for the Lowlander also. Late ECS meant it departed Euston 54 mins late and didn't gain any time between there and Lancaster. It then departed Lancaster 105 mins late which was presumably due to the cable theft that's currently affecting the area. It picked up some time between Abington and Carstairs and has arrived at Glasgow Central at 08:37 - 79 mins late.

The Southbounds seem to have had a smooth run though - 1M11 from Glasgow/Edinburgh arrived 27 mins early and 1M16 from Inverness/Fort William/Aberdeen arrived 3 mins late.

Last edited:

Caleb2010

No better north of Edinburgh- just left Kingussie 124 late with 67 016 on front - waited for Edinburgh to pass at Pitlochry - waited for LNER to pass at Dalwhinnie now will have to pass the Glasgow somewhere probably around Aviemore now!

Caleb2010

1S25 finally arrived at INV at 1043 - luckily for me the 1057 Elgin train was conveniently across the platform- I had visions of missing that as well as the 0900!

InOban

Established Member
While the FW portion's arrival at crianlarich conveniently matched the arrival of the morning southbound, so it's not lost any more time and is on its way into FW.

louis97

Established Member
In normal circumstances, do the crew still change over at Rannoch (Monday to Saturday) and Bridge of Orchy (Sundays)?
No, Serco no longer use Scotrail conductors north of Edinburgh. They have a Serco Train Manager depot at Edinburgh and Dalmuir. The Fort William portion changes Train Managers at Dalmuir in both direction.

ScottDarg

Does anyone know what happened with 1S26 last night?

Reported at Colwich @ 02:03 running 13 mins early. It looks like it sat there for 2 hours as its next report was at 04:01 and had it running 102 mins late?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C78558/2018/07/11/advanced

EDIT: Should have checked twitter before posting. CS stating it was due to a signal failure in the Stafford area:
Our northbound Lowlander and southbound Highlander services have been affected by an overnight signal failure in the Stafford area. Delays to arrivals of approximately an hour are expected this morning. Our southbound Lowlander and northbound Highlander services are unaffected.
https://twitter.com/CalSleeper/status/1017249420117716992?s=19

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The delay on trust for 1S26 between Colwich and Stafford has been put down to "Panel Failure", so I'm assuming some sort of signalling fault.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The delay on trust for 1S26 between Colwich and Stafford has been put down to "Panel Failure", so I'm assuming some sort of signalling fault.

It was; this is from the @CalSleeper Twitter feed, posted at about 04.00 this morning:

Our northbound Lowlander and southbound Highlander services have been affected by an overnight signal failure in the Stafford area. Delays to arrivals of approximately an hour are expected this morning. Our southbound Lowlander and northbound Highlander services are unaffected.

Hi all. Can anyone give me more information on Elderslie Us Drs, where the empty sleeper stock appears to have being holidaying this weekend due to Polmadie being blocked by engineering.

Is it just a freight yard?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Hi all. Can anyone give me more information on Elderslie Us Drs, where the empty sleeper stock appears to have being holidaying this weekend due to Polmadie being blocked by engineering.

Yes, it’s a rail served container terminal operated by Malcolm Group located between Paisley Gilmour Street and Johnstone. Secure and not publicly accessible.

Traveller54

Ah! That would explain why I saw it crossing the bridge over the A761 at the roundabout between Paisley and Elderslie at about 1600 yesterday. Sorry but I know nothing more.

Yes, it’s a rail served container terminal operated by Malcolm Group located between Paisley Gilmour Street and Johnstone. Secure and not publicly accessible.
Thanks l was unsure as there is no see regular freight/container services on RTT that l can see from Elderslie

Highlandspring

Established Member
It hasn’t been used for rail services for a good few years now but previously Malcolm’s moved deep sea boxes through it to/from Grangemouth. It’s still a busy road terminal though.

Far north 37

Established Member
It hasn’t been used for rail services for a good few years now but previously Malcolm’s moved deep sea boxes through it to/from Grangemouth. It’s still a busy road terminal though.
I was getting confused by that one and the old deanside terminal the petfood trains used to go not trying to go off topic but is the one at deanside still in use they used to outbase an 08 shunter there im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.