• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Not sure if this has ever been raised

I am a user of the sleeper, typically twice a year , my colleagues are more frequent users. Over the last year we have all suffered from a dramatic skin irritation/itch from the bedding on the sleeper . 4 of us all experience it regularly and only after using the sleeper . We have concluded there is a different sheet material or detergent which is causing it . None of us are prone to an allergic reaction and its very specific to contact skin contact with the sheets . I can only liken it to when you get fibreglass wool on your skin . We all use the office shower after arriving and it seems to quickly stop the dreadful itchy irritation . One of my colleagues packs a silk sleeping bag liner to avoid contact with the bedding . Given this is now a routine experience and affects nearly all of us that use the sleeper, bar one , I assume others have experienced it but perhaps never report it ? It does put me off using the sleeper now and I was hoping the new rolling stock will use different bedding , but perhaps not . I would stress its only surfaced in the last year , never had any reaction before now in decades of using the service .
I assume you have all reported this to CS?

Over the last year we have all suffered from a dramatic skin irritation/itch from the bedding on the sleeper . 4 of us all experience it regularly and only after using the sleeper . We have concluded there is a different sheet material or detergent which is causing it

I'm slightly worried now, Travelling with 'em tomorrow! I'll just pack something to cover the duvet.

BRX

Established Member

I am a user of the sleeper, typically twice a year , my colleagues are more frequent users. Over the last year we have all suffered from a dramatic skin irritation/itch from the bedding on the sleeper . 4 of us all experience it regularly and only after using the sleeper . We have concluded there is a different sheet material or detergent which is causing it . None of us are prone to an allergic reaction and its very specific to contact skin contact with the sheets . I can only liken it to when you get fibreglass wool on your skin . We all use the office shower after arriving and it seems to quickly stop the dreadful itchy irritation . One of my colleagues packs a silk sleeping bag liner to avoid contact with the bedding . Given this is now a routine experience and affects nearly all of us that use the sleeper, bar one , I assume others have experienced it but perhaps never report it ? It does put me off using the sleeper now and I was hoping the new rolling stock will use different bedding , but perhaps not . I would stress its only surfaced in the last year , never had any reaction before now in decades of using the service .

No you're not alone. This is something a relative of mine experienced within the last year or two. At the time she looked it up and found others complaining about it online, I can't remember where, maybe on the CS twitter feed or another forum? It's been enough to put her off the sleeper. It's something they clearly need to sort out. Dunno if they've ever acknowledged it as a problem though?

Established Member
Bedding: I've checked with a couple of ultra regulars and this is what they say.

When Serco took over first in March 2015 they used a very fine cotton fabric which, whilst very luxurious and comfortable, was prone to rapid wear.

It was replaced towards the end of that year (they think, it didn't take that long anyway) with a much rougher material which was far from luxurious but presumably didn't wear so quickly. They think that this is possibly the stuff causing skin problems, but they've never heard of reactions themselves.

More recently a material that sits somewhere between the two seems to be in use and is meeting with greater general approval. So it might have been solved, unless any of the reports of problems are from the last few months?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Someone spoke too soon regarding 73 failures. As 73971 encountered a fault while working this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O23646/2018/07/25/advanced.
It thankfully was not a complete failure, just rather late.
Sam
It developed a reverser fault and was unable to be driven from the leading end, it had to be driven from the rear cab at reduced speed with a competent person in the front to operate the horn and brake to clear the line. 73970 replaced it down to Kilmarnock but is encountering problems with the coaches it is there to pick up and is now more than 3 hours late.

vlad

After using the Highlander earlier this year I did have a bit of irritation on my left arm around the elbow. I was wondering if it was caused by rubbing against the bit of carpet on the wall whilst I was asleep or even by something completely different as I did have quite a busy week. I didn't feel any irritation on any other parts of my body that had been in contact with the sheets.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For the record 73970 hauled eight CS Mk5 coaches from Kilmarnock to Polmadie this evening.
If I'm not mistaken, a 73 now fits within the Type 3 category, in which case I'm rather puzzled as to why people seem to think that they'd be unable to cope with a substantial load on the HML. I've just flicked through an old book (Diesels in the Highlands), and there's a picture of a couple of Type-2s (25+26) leaving Inverness with sixteen behind. I don't doubt that they'd be struggling on the hills, and I believe that such a load would normally have been triple-headed at the time, but clearly it was possible.

gsnedders

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, a 73 now fits within the Type 3 category, in which case I'm rather puzzled as to why people seem to think that they'd be unable to cope with a substantial load on the HML. I've just flicked through an old book (Diesels in the Highlands), and there's a picture of a couple of Type-2s (25+26) leaving Inverness with sixteen behind. I don't doubt that they'd be struggling on the hills, and I believe that such a load would normally have been triple-headed at the time, but clearly it was possible.
I don't think their ability to do it is in question—it's the ability to do it, run to schedule, and (given the single track nature) not delay other traffic.

TimboM

Established Member
Why are the MK5's going to Brodies?
Receiving Modifications.
Based on both info in the CS press release when the new stock delay was announced in January and various enthusiast photos through the windows on their travels, the “Velim 5” test rake weren’t fully fitted out either - these were the first batch to go to Brodie’s I believe.

From Serco press release at the time:
A total of five carriages have this morning arrived in the outskirts of Glasgow, where they will start extensive testing over the coming months. These initial five carriages are still to be fitted out internally following testing.

https://www.serco.com/news/media-releases/2018/first-of-new-caledonian-sleeper-trains-arrive-in-uk

TimboM

Established Member
I don't think their ability to do it is in question—it's the ability to do it, run to schedule, and (given the single track nature) not delay other traffic.
They’re going to be doubled headed though. As I mentioned before, a single 73/9 has already hauled Load 8 + 2x 92s (equivalent weight to 14 coaches - albeit it wasn’t providing ETS). 8 shouldn’t be an issue for a pair of them.

I'm slightly worried now, Travelling with 'em tomorrow! I'll just pack something to cover the duvet.
If it’s of any comfort (no pun intended!) I travelled on the beds the other week and neither the missus or I had any reaction to the bedding. My skin is reasonably sensitive too. Maybe they’ve changed something?

Caleb2010

I'm a (fairly) regular sleeper traveller and have had no problems with the sheets etc, the mattress has, in the past been a problem, with its slippery surface, but certainly in the past year, either they've been changed - or been worn in!!

Caleb2010

They have to make sure that drawers slide open on corners, coat hangers rattle against the wall, doors to the accessible loo stick, internal doors to the lounge car stay open, alarms in the kitchen keep going off and blinds don’t stay down!

RLBH

That I'm unsure of, heard it was to do with the toilets but not sure how true that is. All of the coaches will pass through before going into use.
Incidentally this is quite common practice in the engineering world. It's often cheaper to accept something under the original contract then send it for alterations, than to modify the original contract to have the work done during production.

TimboM

Established Member
Incidentally this is quite common practice in the engineering world. It's often cheaper to accept something under the original contract then send it for alterations, than to modify the original contract to have the work done during production.
Presumably some mods required will have been identified during the testing to date and as these coaches were already built by the time these were identified they needed the tweaks made.

Remains to be seen if ones that come out of the factory in due course have the mods incorporated (ie don’t need to go to Brodie’s).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Could we have a Caledonian sleeper "expected loco thread" ?

Seperate the wheat from the chaff , so to speak. (or the spelt from the grain)

Status
Not open for further replies.