• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
There's no (day) services from Lakes to Glasgow today due to engineering I don't think? That's going to be a heck of a long journey.

Last edited:

LeylandLen

TimboM

Established Member
Yes just seen it on up fast through Crewe. It turns out it was terminated at Preston at 0309 ...'problem with overhead line' Will be interesting to know what happened to passenger, presumably bussed to Glasgow? NOT what they paid for !!

Carlisle-Carstairs is closed for engineering, so I think it's either a mammoth replacement bus journey first to Carlisle, then from there to Glasgow, or the CS Twitter feed is advising passengers to go from Preston to York via Manchester, then catch VTEC to Edinburgh/Glasgow - but that's a LONG way round and surely not any quicker than the bus option (although probably more pleasant?)

Last edited:

dvalts

Yes just seen it on up fast through Crewe. It turns out it was terminated at Preston at 0309 ...'problem with overhead line' Will be interesting to know what happened to passenger, presumably bussed to Glasgow? NOT what they paid for !!

We were told at Preston (by Virgin Trains staff) to go either via York, Manchester, or via a replacement bus to Glasgow. Only one bus so not an option for all passengers to take this.

captainbigun

One of the 86s on the front of 4S83 brought down the overhead at Torbay. Not a lot anyone can do about that.

A Challenge

Established Member
Why is this morning's Inverness sleeper listed as cancelled throughout? Judging from the comments upthread, it did run to Penrith?

Scotrail84

Established Member

Nope, thats when it arrived at Preston, not when it was terminated.

Busses, taxis or train to York then up east coast.

What do you want the staff to do about another train bringing down the wires??? What other options did the sleeper have then? Enlighten us.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Why is this morning's Inverness sleeper listed as cancelled throughout? Judging from the comments upthread, it did run to Penrith?

It did run to Penrith - and subsequently on to Carlisle - and is showing on some systems as such. Think it's just a 'system funny' as to why it's showing as cancelled throughout (e.g. on RTT). It was cancelled three times and reinstated twice on the system which probably didn't help..

TimboM

Established Member
What do you want the staff to do about another train bringing down the wires??? What other options did the sleeper have then? Enlighten us.

When there was the issue at Preston a couple of weeks back with the mail train pulling down the wires there, they hooked up a DRS 66 to the sleeper at Crewe - I believe with a view to diverting it via the S&C (although this wasn't ultimately needed).

I'm guessing this wasn't an option last night on the Northbound as wouldn't have been able to get through in time before the Carlisle-Carstairs engineering possession? - and also presumably needs availability of locos remotely in the vicinity, drivers with correct route knowledge and within their hours, guards signed for that route etc. etc.

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
When there was the issue at Preston a couple of weeks back with the mail train pulling down the wires there, they hooked up a DRS 66 to the sleeper at Crewe - I believe with a view to diverting it via the S&C (although this wasn't ultimately needed).

I'm guessing this wasn't an option last night on the Northbound as wouldn't have been able to get through in time before the Carlisle-Carstairs engineering possession? - and also presumably needs availability of locos remotely in the vicinity, drivers with correct route knowledge and within their hours, guards signed for that route etc. etc.

Guards don't sign the route and drivers don't either. Nearest available locos were at Kingmoor which was no use, no route conductors and that would have been a 5-6 hour diversion as well as the train would have needed to reverse at Carlisle to go across to Newcastle then up the ECML Folk jumping to conclusions or making snidey comments without knowing the facts gets on my thrupney bits. (not directed at you).

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
67007 has worked on the Inverness portion of the sleeper last night :( (hence will work from Inverness tomorrow night)

That'll be the replacement for (smart DB red) 67013 then. It's in tatty old EWS livery isn't it? Won't please the photographers...!

robbeech

Established Member

Have I missed an important ETS point here?

TimboM

Established Member
Have I missed an important ETS point here?

Not really - the passengers had a cold/dark hour or so! I don't know if the coaches have an (emergency) back-up power to at least keep basic/safety lighting going, but on this occasion the 92 was shut down tucked in behind the DRS 66, so pretty sure there wasn't anything providing hotel power.

That night the 66 was taken off at Lancaster (went on at Crewe), and it was middle of the night and not particularly cold, so probably wasn't a major issue.

It's another reason why an S&C diversion isn't that great an option, though (i.e. no ETS for the duration of quite a lengthy diversion).

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
It is a shame that tonight's sleeper has such a long wait at Wembley. I am guessing that they'll throw it in a siding there and attach another loco to it (the one that would normally take it back to the depot) before taking it back in to Euston that way. I assume this makes more financial sense to them that use running it into KGX instead which would save at LEAST an hour, likely more.

najaB

Veteran Member
I assume this makes more financial sense to them that use running it into KGX instead which would save at LEAST an hour, likely more.
Kings Cross can't take a full length Sleeper set, so they would have to shuffle reservations around as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.