• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

JModulo

Posts which clarify or confirm things are certainly welcome here, it's why I asked in the first place but the problem is you neither confirmed or clarified anything, you just repeated my own post back to me. If you don't know or can't say then you don't have to post and I certainly don't see the benefit of posting back what I'd just said.
What more can you add??? That was exactly the problem.

To note, London to Glasgow is also cancelled tonight as a result of last nights cancellation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It should’ve been in London now, but back at Polmadie (with the northbound Glasgow portion caped tonight as a result).

So unlikely to head out tonight, but possibly on the southbound Lowlander tomorrow night.
Very helpful, thank you for what information you do provide (and are allowed to provide).

Now all I have to do is keep track of which half of a pair of days we are in next week (I maybe asking again !).

Established Member
Just on the cancellation of the southbound Highlander at Edinburgh on Tuesday evening, I know someone who was travelling in the Inverness section.

Locos were changed over as normal and just as the 92 took power there was a few yards of forward movement, what sounded like a loss of air, and a full stop for the service. A door problem may well have been the cause, but the result was a full and final brake application.

The majority of passengers slept on until around 5am, were well looked after by the crew and transferred onto the 0540 LNER service which got them to King's Cross well before 10am, and are receiving full refunds. Crew followed on the third LNER departure, turned around in London as normal and worked last night's northbound Highlander.

JModulo

Locos were changed over as normal and just as the 92 took power there was a few yards of forward movement, what sounded like a loss of air, and a full stop for the service. A door problem may well have been the cause, but the result was a full and final brake application.
Thats what happens when a door opens when the train is moving.....

Peter Sarf

Established Member
15340 returns to service tonight on 1C11/1M11, having not worked since its collision with 73969 at Fort William on 06/11/2019.

This assumes 1C11 gets underway (currently delayed leaving Edinburgh...!)

1C11 consist: 92033 + 15006 15102 15206 15323 15340 15301 15302 15325

EDIT: 1C11 subsequently caped at Waverley.
/|\ Above posted 23:58 Wednesday (20/04/2022) and amended 00:54 Yesterday (21/04/2022) infers Wednesday night 20/04/2022.
What happened with the Highlander on the 19th, it shows as cancelled between Edinburgh and London due to a problem with the doors.

Just on the cancellation of the southbound Highlander at Edinburgh on Tuesday evening, I know someone who was travelling in the Inverness section.

The majority of passengers slept on until around 5am, were well looked after by the crew and transferred onto the 0540 LNER service which got them to King's Cross well before 10am, and are receiving full refunds. Crew followed on the third LNER departure, turned around in London as normal and worked last night's northbound Highlander.
Um. Am I confused ?.

Was 1C11 cancelled Wednesday night 20/04/2022 or Tuesday night 19/04/2022 or both nights ?.

Probably I am mixing up night and morning :oops:.

Last edited:

Established Member
/|\ Above posted 23:58 Wednesday (20/04/2022) and amended 00:54 Yesterday (21/04/2022) infers Wednesday night 20/04/2022.

Um. Am I confused ?.

Was 1C11 cancelled Wednesday night 20/04/2022 or Tuesday night 19/04/2022 or both nights ?.

Probably I am mixing up night and morning :oops:.
Sorry, this my fault for loose use of the word 'evening'. The incident I provided information on occurred at Waverley in the early hours of Wednesday morning, but affected those who had joined the train on Tuesday evening.

rossco156433

I wonder if anyone can help me. My brother/sister in law are booked on the sleeper on Friday night and I am picking them up from Central on Saturday morning, I've looked at the schedule and seen it is booked to go ECML and split at Edinburgh rather than Carstairs. However it's still booked to call at Carstairs for 40 minutes in the morning 'to set down passengers' - Does anyone know if it will be held to time at Carstairs or is it more likely to run early to Central? I've tried looking back on RTT / Railcam diagrams but when it went ECML a few weekends ago it went via Shotts rather than Carstairs between Edinburgh/Glasgow. Thanks in advance

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if it will be held to time at Carstairs or is it more likely to run early to Central?
I do not know for a fact, but 41 minutes seems excessive for just a passenger stop - in comparison, it's got 20+ minutes at Edinburgh to do the split. So my educated guess is that it's waiting there to get a platform at Central so it probably won't run through early.

43 302

Established Member
On the other hand I would imagine it would run through early if it can, due to the set down only nature of the stop.

rossco156433

I do not know for a fact, but 41 minutes seems excessive for just a passenger stop - in comparison, it's got 20+ minutes at Edinburgh to do the split. So my educated guess is that it's waiting there to get a platform at Central so it probably won't run through early.

On the other hand I would imagine it would run through early if it can, due to the set down only nature of the stop.

Gents, thanks for the replies - I've had another look at a couple of weeks ago (16th) when it went east coast albeit from Kings Cross (couldn't find it earlier as I forgot it used a different headcode - 1S72) It only stopped at Carstairs for 4 mins (54 early arriving - 74 early leaving) and got to Glasgow 69mins early. couple of weeks ago it was held to time at Mossend and was 4 late. Think I'll err on the side of caution and go up early, not that my 5 year old will be complaining if it sticks to time and he gets to see more trains :lol::lol: only thing he will be upset about is not seeing a "zuma" as it appears 1E06 isn't running this weekend.

geoffk

Established Member
Someone who's about to travel to Scotland has asked me if the Fort William and Inverness sleepers are now carrying local passengers in Scotland again. Sorry but I don't have time to read through 420 pages! I know the Aberdeen portion didn't as there is a similarly-timed Scotrail train.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Someone who's about to travel to Scotland has asked me if the Fort William and Inverness sleepers are now carrying local passengers in Scotland again. Sorry but I don't have time to read through 420 pages! I know the Aberdeen portion didn't as there is a similarly-timed Scotrail train.
Yes, subject to reservations being obtained. Fort William in both directions. Inverness north of Kingussie northbound.

geoffk

Established Member
Yes, subject to reservations being obtained. Fort William in both directions. Inverness north of Kingussie northbound.
Thanks (although if you're a commuter from Kingussie or Aviemore to Inverness it will be be an inconvenience making a reservation every day). I understand a bus is provided if the sleeper is very late as it was on the occasion I used it in 2014.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Thanks (although if you're a commuter from Kingussie or Aviemore to Inverness it will be be an inconvenience making a reservation every day). I understand a bus is provided if the sleeper is very late as it was on the occasion I used it in 2014.
There is a 158 that runs ahead of the sleeper from Perth (half an hour earlier from Kingussie) that is probably a better option.

Bill57p9

Gents, thanks for the replies - I've had another look at a couple of weeks ago (16th) when it went east coast albeit from Kings Cross (couldn't find it earlier as I forgot it used a different headcode - 1S72) It only stopped at Carstairs for 4 mins (54 early arriving - 74 early leaving) and got to Glasgow 69mins early. couple of weeks ago it was held to time at Mossend and was 4 late. Think I'll err on the side of caution and go up early, not that my 5 year old will be complaining if it sticks to time and he gets to see more trains :lol::lol: only thing he will be upset about is not seeing a "zuma" as it appears 1E06 isn't running this weekend.
My experience is that it is exceptionally rare for the sleeper to arrive Glasgow Central significantly early, though no doubt other members will be able to prove me wrong.
If it is early leaving Carstairs it tends to wait a to Law Junction for it's path into Motherwell (behind a Lanark to Glasgow Central).

The Glasgow Central platform issue may be helped by the lack of 1E06 that day though.

In terms of running very early, back in the dark days of lockdown CS got into hot water for turfing passengers out at Motherwell so early that the station was closed and they were locked in.

Trainfan2019

Spotted Caledonian Sleeper running 133 minutes late at Crewe this morning. Seems to have been long delayed at Edinburgh according to real time trains.

Class 466

Established Member
Currently at Euston and it’s safe to say it’s all going very well.. 1S25 departed 40 late at 2048 and is now sat outside the station… no idea what’s going on!

62484GlenLyon

And according to OTT 1S25 is blocking access to platform 1 for the stock of 1S26 Lowlander. Meanwhile, 5M11 Polmadie to Glasgow Central empties for 1M11 is running about an hour late. Another fine evening for CS.

Steve Harris

And according to OTT 1S25 is blocking access to platform 1 for the stock of 1S26 Lowlander. Meanwhile, 5M11 Polmadie to Glasgow Central empties for 1M11 is running about an hour late. Another fine evening for CS.
Don't you mean 1S25 is blocking the release of 0A95 (the loco for the lowlander), which is in turn blocking access to platform 1 ??

Tormod

Can't see how 1S25 is blocking 26 as they are on different lines, facing each other at present. Unless 1S26 was going to P15

Sorry, 5S96, not 1S26

62484GlenLyon

I assume from OTT that 1S25 is still trailing back far enough to prevent the route into platform 1 to be cleared for 5S96. 1S25 is 16 coaches long.

21.45 1S25 is on the move.

Steve Harris

I assume from OTT that 1S25 is still trailing back far enough to prevent the route into platform 1 to be cleared for 5S96. 1S25 is 16 coaches long.
And don't forget you need to release the loco (from P1) that brought the stock in of 1S25 from Wembley. (This is the loco for 1S26 to head north).

Edit: It now appears to OTT that 1S25 is now on the move (currently at South Hampstead) and the route for 5S96 is set for P1

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And don't forget you need to release the loco (from P1) that brought the stock in of 1S25 from Wembley. (This is the loco for 1S26 to head north).

There are no loco releases this evening - both 1S25 and 1S26 are top and tailed from Euston to Wembley Yard as reversal is required there for transit up the ECML.

Class 466

Established Member
There are no loco releases this evening - both 1S25 and 1S26 are top and tailed from Euston to Wembley Yard as reversal is required there for transit up the ECML.
92020 left on the rear of 1S25 and has ended up assisting it onwards to Wembley

As a side - is there a list of the 92s that get used on this at all?

Last edited: