• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Channel Tunnel Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT Driver

They can work more than 12hrs in emergency situations, however it's flagged up by the computers and a very good explanation why has to be given & signed off.

I know BTDTGTTS, got stuck between Liphook & Liss after a dumb, lowlife from Liphook put a traffic cone on the track, which I hit at 90mph, took the donut off the main res tank of the leading unit & came to grief on a downward grade at the end of Langley Straight.

Couldn't go forward, so had to get 3 trains to reverse back to Haslemere & then go bang road all the way back there, left Haslemere at 1900ish, got back there at 2300, put in a taxi to Pompey & signed off 13h 45 after signing on & didn't the $h17 hit the fan.. You bet it did!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
No safety critical worker can work more than 12 hours at a time, and if they do work 12 hours they cannot work until 12 hours later. Not explained very well I know!
Not quite right now, old chap.

Firstly the former Railway (Safety Critical Work) Regulations have been repealed, and thus there are no formal legal limits on hours worked.

The RSCWR have been replaced by a the general duty on the employer to ensure that fatigue does not arise as a result of the shift patterns or hours worked. It does allow hours to be in excess of 12 wher eit can be demonstrated that fatigue will not follow.

It is likely that having put the requirements of the former RSCWR into procedures that TOCs have made the conscious decision to continue with these as good practice.

The RSCWR themselves gave an automatic exemption to their requirements when an "emergency" arose, and this was suitably defined, such that the CT incident would have fallen easily into that category.
With regards to hours exceedances, there is (within the Infrastructure units at least) a formal documented procedure that we follow. Basically it starts at the point that the person concerned is in agreement to exceed his hours. The next stage is a formal review by a Manager or other specially delegated person. This looks at previous shifts worked, their length, time off and any travelling to site are reviewed. Time of day and the type of job that has been and will be undertaken are also considered.

Taking all these circumstances into acccount the decision will either be to allow the person to continue. The usual arrangements is that we arrange for a local hotel at our expense for the man so that he can take rest before driving home, or we provide a taxi or a driver to take him home.

Many times the man will refuse all but it is my policy to again have them asked when they finish duty, and if necessary the Supervisor will do as best he can to insist the man takes rest. Obvious we cannot force a man to do anything he does not want.

Warm food and hot drinks are always provided when a man/men agree to work over for me, albeit this may be just simple food like a takeaway or Macdonalds or similar.

Such arrangements do not apply on the Continent because they did not have RSCWR legislation, but rather are compliant with the EU Working Time Directive which does not ALLOW extra hours to be worked,

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would have thought that in any emergency situation, adrenaline would ensure you wouldn't suddenly fall asleep. You'll probably be far more alert than during the normal 'safe' hours you worked.

Old Timer

Established Member
I would have thought that in any emergency situation, adrenaline would ensure you wouldn't suddenly fall asleep. You'll probably be far more alert than during the normal 'safe' hours you worked.
To be honest I have only felt fatigued enough to be a danger when I have worked excessive hours on a couple of occasions, at which point I requested and was given relief.

It is the period afterwards that is the risk, when you are driving home. That is when tiredness sets in and a long journey on a motorway or dual carriageway can be the road to an early demise.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, a good point. Hopefully after such an incident, you would be able to claim for a taxi or overnight accommodation as appropriate.

Micky Redmire

Seasons greetings to all readers, apologies for not responding over Christmas period, other duties required my attention. I have clearly lost the initiative with this thread but shall attempt to recover .. ;) albeit perhaps in strategy rather than detail

Mickey,

I'm afraid that you are still failing to completely grasp precisely the technical and operational aspects of this incident. I don't doubt that things would be different if such an event was repeated, but I don't believe that you are adding anything that is workable.
Really? So which part of providing additional recovery locomotives is not workable?
Procure sufficient locomotives to haul 7 dead sets out of one tunnel, these locomotives to be on permanent standby, with, say, 4 additional out of service undergoing maintenance.
and that's what has happened (according to the Eurotunnel statement), although 3 is clearly insufficient if there is a risk of 5 sets failing in the tunnel. In terms of strategy, there are three ways to deal with this issue: 1) do nothing, 2) ensure that passengers are comfortable for periods of extended entrapment or 3) ensure that recovery and passenger release occurs within 2 hours. 3) has to be top of the list, but whatever end result is achieved, it should follow a logical design process, Eurotunnel flailing around cutting the ground from beneath Eurostar is a disgrace and will achieve nothing.

Air-cooling of motors and associated traction equipment works well, even with snow screens. I don't believe that an event that has happened once in 15 years is sufficient justification to throw away an efficient and effective system and replace it with a more complicated system that, as you identify, carries penalties in construction and maintenance costs. Whether it creates bad PR or not, the root of the problem is indeed the "wrong type of snow". However, Eurostar have been smart enough not to use this phrase and refer instead to problems with the snow screens. It's just a different way of explaining the same problem.
Met office report that the snow was not unusual, and this is not the first reported incident http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/feb/01/transport.world

I'm not entirely sure that there were multiple VCB openings but, if the snow had affected the transformers, then this would have the same effect and would indeed open the VCB. However, burnt out motors would not necessarily mean that the train couldn't have sat there with the VCB closed and still draw power for all the other systems.
A well designed protection system would have disconnected the motors but allowed auxiliary circuits to continue to function.
If snow had caused the motors to burn out, have a moisture detection device would be of no help to the driver. All he/she wants to know is whether or not the motors are working. Such a device would only assist the depot staff.
Moisture detection sensors would have picked up the problem in Northern France, driver should have been incidental to the fault detection and reporting process, sensor linked to data logger linked to network (with GSM back-up) linked to technical support, virtually instantaneous communication; this would have permitted a controlled, managed solution and avoided the fiasco.
Your 15 minutes of fault-finding is unrealistically short. My company has a 10 minute "cut and run" policy in the peak, but I drive much simpler trains that are much shorter in length. It may indeed only take the driver 15 minutes to identify which system has developed a fault, but it would take much longer than that to establish that the train is a total failure and cannot be moved under it's own power. It's very likely that it would take the driver that long just to walk from the front of the train to the rear power car and back again, and that's without doing anything else.
10 minutes cut and run sounds reasonable for a simple set, I would develop the remote fault logging option, in this scenario technical support and the driver would have been aware of an impending problem as the set was crossing northern France, so 15 minutes from failure to initiating recovery is not unrealistic, could be as much as 60 minutes from initial moisture detection to initiating recovery.
Allowing more than one train into the tunnel at any one time is normal practice, even when one has failed. It is very simplistic to say that one went in and failed to be followed by the next which in turn failed and so on, and that more and more trains were sent in behind an already large number of failures. It is likely that the time-line of failures was much more complex than that and that perhaps some of the sets which eventually failed did so while waiting behind one that already had.
By all means permit several trains in the train, providing that the design risk assessment allows for recovery within the maximum time set out in the Employers Requirements. If this time is 2 hours from failure to passenger release then I propose we need 1 recovery locomotive per set in the tunnel, recovery locomotives to be on standby immediately adjacent to the tunnel entrances, passengers to be leave the set at Folkestone or Coquelles for onward journey via Tornado or similar .... under no circumstances send the recovery locomotive to London, that would be a ridiculous thing to do because it might be needed to recover other failed sets; and I'm convinced that a competent management team would ensure that this didn't happen ...

I can say from experience that it is not a quick matter to declare a train a total failure. Notwithstanding any "cut and run" policy that puts a clock on your fault-finding, it would take a little while between the first signs of a set being unwell and it being declared a failure. For a start, an effort would need to be made in order to determine the nature and severity of the fault, together with some effort being made to rectify the faults to permit the train to be moved. With a train of the size and complexity of a Eurostar I would expect this to take quite some time to complete before the train could be declared a failure. By the time this has all been done, you're going to get a queue of waiting trains forming behind you, one of which the controllers would be hoping to use to assist the failure clear of the pipe. The nature of the failures would still need to be properly understood in order to know what assistance procedure would be appropriate. All of this takes time.
I recognise this, which is why the introduction of "live" onboard fault detection system with a real time link to technical support would be high in my list of design priorities (I must declare some involvement in remote monitoring equipment that generates text messages and/or emails when the item under test is feeling unwell, can also monitor in real time over the internet or at a dedicated terminal, not particularly new technology but very responsive and flexible)
Fitting bigger compressors would not help to "blow up" a failed train any faster. The limit is not the capacity of the compressors but the diameter of the pipes and the sheer volume of air that needs to be provided. Yes you could fit wider diameter pipes, but as an engineer I'm sure you can see the problems inherent in that.
Never yet found a well designed compressed air system that couldn't be fettled to improve performance, although I'm sure there are some VE systems that have no leaway, alternatives would include priority operation (leave doors on manual emergency control and prioritise brake circuits).

Justin Smith

No safety critical worker can work more than 12 hours at a time, and if they do work 12 hours they cannot work until 12 hours later. Not explained very well I know!

Good job we didn`t have that in WW2, or we`d all be driving on the other side of the road now......

Micky Redmire

Survivability is not and never was an issue in this case, even the Media have not gone down this road. All we have are one or two people who have almost certainly over-emphasised something.

My first response disappeared in to the ether, so trying again with some redundancy in place ...
Survivability is an important of the design process and a key part of the design risk assessment
We all know that there are really dramatic stories painted by people in such situations and seized upon by the Media as a means of cynically selling more papers/attracting more viewers. Interestingly enough, even the Media don’t think survivability was an issue. When the facts are probed of course theses “facts” and “experiences” turn out to be so much different.
Several accounts on the media regarding "don't breathe too deeply". If the accounts of fainting are correct (and I've no reason to doubt them) then there is clearly cause for concern.

Only you seem to want to develop an issue out of it, with comments such as :-and Did you think about the logic of that statement before writing it ?

The CT has high powered ventilation systems that are designed to remove smoke and provide clean air. The ventilation system itself is designed so that air is dispersed from the main tunnels through the system, thus self ventilating.
A visit to the London Underground will demonstrate this effect.
Quoting system appears to be U/S. But the issue is not the tunnel itself, it's the coaches, hence accounts of breaking windows to improve air circulation. Is there sufficient passive air circulation for extended periods of entrapment? Design risk assessment will answer this.

You then introduce this debate about “survivability” and “life safety systems”. Why and for what purpose ?
Because it's an important part of the design process?

There never was any risk to life and limb at all.
How do you know this? Fainting presents a real risk, fall over and strike head, swallow tongue.
Granted that it would eventually have become uncomfortable, but there is a very large difference between being uncomfortable and being in a life threatening situation. No passenger was in a life threatening situation
How do you know this?

For example :-
In another post you say :-
In yet another you say :-
Let us examine these statements a little closer.

Firstly how far apart are you going to place these sockets ? What voltages are you going to use ? What amperage ? Different trains have different voltage requirements for their on-board systems. Where are you going to plug them in ? How do you arrange the circuits. What type of plugs do you use ? the doors and some other services are operated by air, so may we need high pressure air lines as well ?

How do you identify the various different types and their uses ? How do you provide the electrical feed ? How do you tackle the risk of cable faults, possible even leading to fires ?

The power demand would require a HV distribution system, which would also need to be sectioned so that there was sufficient protected system arrangements that a single failure did not lose the supply to an entire train.

So then what about that section of train ? Another opportunity to criticise ?

All these various cabled systems and sockets would all need to be individually tested and certificated on a regular basis to satisfy you otherwise you would be there to criticise. When would this be done ? How long would it take ? How many staff would it take ? The tunnel would need to be shut down whilst this was being done ? What happens if you had a failure of one circuit ? Shut down the tunnel ? after all the event is now foreseeable.

What about the trailing cables ? what would you do if you needed to evacuate ? Would you let people walk over them with a tripping risk ? another opportunity for someone to criticise, or would you require them all to be removed first ? yet another area for potential criticism.
Quoting system U/S. You're jumping ahead of the design process, get the concept right first, one element of which is: what is max length of time for entrapment under any scenario other than catastrophic failure of the tunnel fabric?
As to food. What sort of food ? how would you cook it ? how would you keep it cool with no electricity. Where would you store all the water ? how would you keep it sterile ? How would ypou proportion food for allergy sufferers ?
Again, step one is to define maximum time for entrapment. But as you've raised the issue of food then I would propose compo.

Take another comment :The passenger environmental systems are designed to run for several hours, certainly sufficiently long to deal with all previously foreseeable incidents.
How many is several? 2? 24?

If you want another pantograph and duplicated power supply system then fine, but this will lead to the loss of one vehicle through the need to duplicate this at each side, and of course it would need to be separated entirely from the main transformer room.

Such a system would need considerable modifications to the wiring and control circuits of the trains, and would require sets to be taken out of use whilst this was done.

Maintenance requirements would increase as would the testing requirements. Spares for all this equipment would be needed, even though it is unlikely ever to be used again.

And what if a fault develops ? take the train out of service ? put everyone onto a following packed train ? Passengers standing? Of course then there could be no hot drinks taken down the train by the staff – H&S requirements but another area for criticism.

This of course all falls down if there is a problem with the traction current supply.
Again, get the concept right first, how many trapped sets for how long? Then deal with the detail.

Lets move onto the traction current supply :-
It may be for you but actually all the electrical systems in a submarine are contained with a controlled dry temperature environment, unlike the tunnel. They have moved on a bit since Das Boot.
You clearly haven't been aboard a diesel boat recently.

The above appears to indicate a lack of understanding of HV transmission systems and certainly railway OHL systems.

Firstly insulators are designed to insulate, and are designed so that any water running onto the insulator is broken in such a way as to prevent a flashover. A flashover on a porcelain or ceramic insulator often leads to the insulator “exploding” or at least sustaining damaged vanes. Polymeric insulators tend to suffer from flash-over heat damage. As I said the whole point of an insulator is to prevent flashover.
I bow to your undoubted expertise regarding railway OHL systems, but the principles remain the same, where there is risk of flashover due to water and/or pollution then the system should be designed so that the arc clears the short circuit with protection operating if required but with the option of a swift reconnection. Watch HV transmission systems during inclement weather for evidence of this. Damage should not occur with a well designed system.

You talk of redundancy. This suggests a duplicated system. If there is a problem which causes one insulator to fail then it is likely that it will affect an adjoining insulator in the close vicinity.

These duplicated systems. Would they be independent or duplicated ?

If they are independent then there is the various issues that arise from induction. In any case how do you separate the tow contact wires ? You cannot separate by height.

But assuming that we could develop such a system (which no-one else in the world deems necessary by the way, including the new Gothard Tunnel) you have just doubled the infrastructure costs, will require more than twice the amount of time needed for maintenance and inspection, as well as having to provide duplicated control and monitoring systems.

For true redundancy the system would require separate feeding from an independent incoming NG supply, and this brings with it issue to do with phase separation, as well as the complexity of control interlocking.
What do you do if the second supply develops a fault ? shut down the train service ?
Again, your stepping ahead of the design process, although I must admit that I thought there was some form of secondary supply, what happens if there is catastrophic failure of the 25kV supply?

You made the following comment :-
We are all too well aware of LUL Standards, and the costs that they impose. That is why a single ticket between two stations that you can walk between quicker is £4.50.

Look at some of these Standards. Why is it necessary for doors to have two-hour fire separation when the response time of the fire brigade is measured in less than 5 minutes, by which time the station has been evacuated ? These doors are hideously expensive yet are totally unnecessary. Many of the safety procedures that LUL operate are the result of the knee-jerk reaction to Kings Cross where people (such as yourself no doubt) were quick to come up with a whole variety of “must be dones”.
Again, quoting system U/S. Primary cost element for LU is inefficiency, but that's for another day. There may be some confusion here, but 2 hours is the generally accepted time for a protected core to remain viable in the event of fire, but there are clearly exceptions. Design process to establish protection required.

I would contend that knee-jerk responses to safety incidents actually do great damage in the long term as do the uninformed media commentaries that are designed to reduce complex issues to mere soundbites simply to enable the generation of greater sales revenue.
There is a difference between knee jerk and an early response to reduce risk. In this instance, the media don't need to generate uninformed commentaries, Eurostar and Eurotunnel appear to be undertaking this task.

The outcome of Clapham was to cause the Industry to actually become less safe in the longer term , and taking TPWS into account, RSSB research has already demonstrated that there will be more deaths to trackside maintenance staff than to passengers as a result of having this system.

Another thread for another day perhaps.

I presume you will be happy of the CT now resorts to reducing the capacity for he whole system to the number of trains that can be recovered in a timeline acceptable to you. That is a maximum of two trains only in each tunnel at a time, after all we cannot assume any more that the train can be driven in reverse or driven forward from the rear cab
I would be happy for the tunnel to run with as many trains as can be recovered within 2 hours by recovery locomotives.

The procedure for the recovery of the trains as set out did work. All these things take time to set up.
I would like to see how long the procedure permits passengers to the trapped for.

In another post you said :-Please explain how these locomotives can reach trains trapped in between the leading/trailing failures. The maximum you would need would be four and from experience this is probably over the top anyway. Still never mind it can be covered by higher fares.

Max = four? How do you define this without knowing what the max entrapment time is and how many sets can be trapped in the tunnel?

A guess but quite wrong. There is a process for fault identification to ensure that the process addresses all fault scenarios. It is quite wrong to suggest that the Driver or anyone else would make the connection so quickly, indeed if that was the case why was there extensive running tests with engineers and monitoring equipment on board to establish the cause of the failure. It is not finally concluded that moisture WAS wholly responsible, this suggestion having been thrown into the ring by a variety of people commenting without any obvious underlying experience or knowledge upon which to base their assertions.
Fix this with remote monitoring of moisture levels (and other potential issues),

Similar types of comments were made following the Air France AF447 loss, yet were subsequently found to have been wide of the mark.
I don't think that the investigation into AF447 can be concluded until the "black box" is found.

You have evidence to demonstrate that this was the case ? You are able to specifically state that the trains were not running in close succession ?
I've asked if a train was permitted into a tunnel with a failed train ahead, that's a question not a statement

The recovery locomotive was obviously on standby, but trains preventing access to the failure needed to be cleared.
Why were these trains in the way? Place recovery locomotives at the entrances to tunnel, then no trains external to the tunnel can get in the way.

Again demonstrating a lack of understanding of railway system. The air system is rated to a specific pressure. Firstly large compressors do not assist if this pressure is exceed, secondly the amount of air that can be blown into the train depends upon the size of the pipework.
There will be leeway with any good design, but if brake operation is essential to recovery then prioritise.

The current arrangements are adequate to cover all reasonably foreseeable incidents. Risk assessment requires that risks are “reasonably” mitigated. Those risks were and are.
How do you know this?

The Inquiry will reach a judgement as to whether arrangements above and beyond that are judged to be appropriate. I for one shall not be holding my breath.
Indeed, I hope that it's an independent inquiry and that the sets in question have been quarantined to avoid interference by the maintenance contractor ...

Certainly the fact that no Regulatory authority is rushing around with Prohibition Orders and Improvement Notices, let alone proposing to investigate is a pretty good indicator as to what view the various safety specialists take.
How do you know this?

The whole variety of systems that you want implemented will take the cost of existing fares up by a good factor, probably three or four times.

Re: cost, how do you know this? I don't recall requiring that all proposed systems are implemented, my view is that the issues were and are all resolvable with good design and good management. The quick fix is sufficient recovery locomotives to permit passenger release within two hours, the long term design solution (perhaps for the next generation of sets) is to engineer a comfortable environment for an entrapment period of 24 hours, this will allow for management incompetence.

The CT and its users are competing against ferries and cut price airlines, and the fact that passengers already have to be offered cheap tickets answers your own question.

In any case lets do a little simple statistical calculation. If you undertook two round trips every day for the last 15 years you would have taken 21,916 journeys (365 x 2 x 2 x 15+(4 x 2 x 2). Taking the fact that 5 trains failed, this gives you a very simple back of the envelope risk of one journey in every 4383 resulting in the scenario that existed at the weekend.

I suggest you run a poll and ask people if they would pay a fare in the magnitude of say four times what it is now in order NOT to be involved in an extended delay in the CT, of which is likely to be a 1 in 4383 chance of it happening. Now this is the absolute minimum as it is suggested that weather of this nature is perhaps a once in 20 year occurrence, that suggests a 1 in 87,660 risk.
I understand that similar incidents have occured before, 1995 and 2003

I rather think I know the answer to that one already.

For your benefit I did.

West’s Encyclopedia of American Law defines a “Conspiracy” thus :
An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines “Conspiracy Theory” as An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

May I suggest you do a little research into Railways ?

A theory cannot be an agreement. Modern usage of the term conspiracy theory is derogatory.

The Register has an interesting take:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/22/eurostar_eurotunnel_fiasco/

In closing , as more information becomes available it's clear that the immediate solution is to ensure that sets are recovered to permit a 2 hour maximum entrapment, this may well be specified within the original design.

No more from me now on this thread for a few days (and why can't I get the quote thing to work correctly? More training required!)

Old Timer

Established Member
MIcky Redmire
Your persistance in dramatising the incident by the use of emotive language such as "entrapment", and "survivability" is now going beyond resonable limits.

You made a whole series of statements as to what should have been done, and what is wrong with the system. Each one of those I have dealt with, as indeed have others, and shown without doubt that they are neither feasible or sensible, and in many cases actually import risk.

You neatly sidestep and response to this merely now throwing in design criteria.

Your assertions here again are wrong because you infer that the the people who did this are incompetent. They were not and indeed their expertise in both engineering and systems design matters as well as safety far outranks that which you like to believe that you hold.

With regards to the Submarine scenario, you now ask if I have been in the engine room of a diesel ship. Well actually no, but I doubt very much that they would be sloshing around in water, nor would they be shrouded in mist.

Here is a link to a couple of photographs of a ships engineroom. Not quite the watery, humid, hades you suggest. http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/7922-ship-engine-room.html

You are welcome to your own views, however these are not in accord with how the Industry operates, nor on how the various Regulatory powers are happy for the Railways to operate.

Risk assessment requires that risk are reasonably mitigated and it only requires hazards that are reasonably forseeable to be mitigated.

There is no requirement for system design to take into account every incident that could conceiveably happen. It is this type of attitude and approach that has put Local Authorities particularly way up on the list of incompetent organisations that provide fun to us all from time to time by seeking to mitigate every risk and in doing so to far and beyond what normal people would see as sensible.

Risk assessment also does NOT require that the risk be removed. Many situations occur where a hazard remains a high risk hazard despite mitigation. This neither makes it wrong or illegal.

An example of note is the highways contractors who place the road cones. They run across the motorway between vehicles, and every so often one of them get swiped out. HSE take no action because the risk assessment accepts that this can occur. You may wish to ask why the Police do not stop the road entirely when they are placing out the cones, thus removing all risk ??? I will leave you to draw your own conclusions on that one.

At the end of the day, train failures will occur and there are suitable procedures and resources in place to deal with them.

The Railway Industry does not have unlimited funds, neither do its users. Indeed with regards to Eurostar operations, there is a very elastic demand (PED) against which they operate against competitors.

In a perfect world where money was of no consequence then things may be different. Until then real life intervenes and requires hard decisions to tough problems. Everything is compromise, as every engineer will tell you, all that can be decided is the degree.

It is so very easy to sit behind a keyboard and preach theory, second-guessing a once in a million event (which I anticipate this will turn out to be) it is a much harder and more exacting task to have to make the hard decisions. In my experience those who shout loudest are least able to make such decisions.

I have no doubt that there will be some issues that arise from the incident which will result in the need for modifications to existing system and procedures. I would be surprised if there are not.

One hopes that the recommendations will be taken in the cold light of day rather than under the hot light of drama, and media spin, which is inevitably aimed at making headlines and selling papers/gaining viewers. If on the way to this goal the real facts are discarded then no-one in the media gives two hoots. Headlines and revenue are what they seek, not a rational or logical reasoned explanation.

Someone posted the sort of nonesense that comes out of such incidents......Mr Nodding Donkey who claimed the whole system was "a death-trap".....and it is such stupid comments that in modern times the media treat as if carved into a stone that has been brought direct from Mount Sinai.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Good job we didn`t have that in WW2, or we`d all be driving on the other side of the road now......

At least our cars would be cheaper then!! ;)

Seriously, with regards to the 'real risk' of fainting = hitting head and swallowing tongue, what a load of drivel. I suggest the poster might want to attend some first aid training to learn how stupid that series of events would be (not least the swallowing tongue).

If the risk was that someone might faint, swallow their tongue and therefore die (which I presume was being suggested) then it would not, and could not, happen.

I really don't think anyone was ever at risk of dying. Being uncomfortable, yes. I was uncomfortable when stuck on a plane for 7-8 hours without air conditioning for most of the time because the plane had to be repeatedly de-iced to try and leave an airport in a serious snowstorm. It was VERY uncomfortable, and the worst part was knowing there was another 7-8 hour flight ahead of you after you'd suffered. Nobody died. Nobody even complained*, as the alternative was to abort take off and be stuck in NYC for 3 days (which is how long it took before the airport re-opened after the last flights that night departed).

* Okay, some people on the plane probably did. There's always someone who will complain.. no doubt blaming the airline for the weather.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
I've asked if a train was permitted into a tunnel with a failed train ahead, that's a question not a statement

Why were these trains in the way? Place recovery locomotives at the entrances to tunnel, then no trains external to the tunnel can get in the way.

I cannot say for certain but it seems that trains 4 and 5 were permitted into the tunnel after the first train had failed (although not necessarily declared a failure at that point) but were diverted around it into the North tunnel, where they themselves failed.

The second statement baffles me. It seems to read that a recovery loco should be on the running line, then be moved out of the way into a siding so a train can enter, and then moved back onto the running line blocking the tunnel entrance until that train has cleared the tunnel. Once there is confirmation that that train is clear, the recovery loco then clears the tunnel entrance so the next train can enter.
That surely is not what you are suggesting?

O L Leigh

Established Member
So which part of providing additional recovery locomotives is not workable?

The provision of additional locos in not unworkable. It's unnecessary, as I have been at pains to explain. A working Eurostar can "assist" a failed set without the need to involve rescue locos.

A well designed protection system would have disconnected the motors but allowed auxiliary circuits to continue to function.

We've covered this too. Traction motors can be isolated, either singly, in groups or all at once depending on the precise traction and the nature of the fault(s). What won't help is if snow ingress has done for the main transformers or, particularly, the battery safety cut-out.

Moisture detection sensors would have picked up the problem in Northern France, driver should have been incidental to the fault detection and reporting process, sensor linked to data logger linked to network (with GSM back-up) linked to technical support, virtually instantaneous communication; this would have permitted a controlled, managed solution and avoided the fiasco.

You're assuming that this doesn't already happen. I have no way of knowing if you're right or not. However, it is usual practice to download the OTMR (black box) on a faulty train to assist the fitters in tracing and rectifying a fault. Many new types of train already have the capability to be remotely downloaded from a control room.

However, sometimes a fault is hard to trace and there is no alternative but to rig and run a test train. It was only after Eurostar did this very thing that the precise nature of the fault became known.

10 minutes cut and run sounds reasonable for a simple set, I would develop the remote fault logging option, in this scenario technical support and the driver would have been aware of an impending problem as the set was crossing northern France, so 15 minutes from failure to initiating recovery is not unrealistic, could be as much as 60 minutes from initial moisture detection to initiating recovery.

But an impending problem does not automatically mean a train will become a total failure. Nor does it automatically mean that the traincrew cannot identify and isolate the offending system so that the train can continue in service. At what point do the controllers decide that a service should be terminated short on what may still be a perfectly healthy train?

15 minutes is just not enough time to explore all the options and to attempt remedial action, even if the TMS and/or the controller can assist the traincrew in their actions.

By all means permit several trains in the train, providing that the design risk assessment allows for recovery within the maximum time set out in the Employers Requirements. If this time is 2 hours from failure to passenger release then I propose we need 1 recovery locomotive per set in the tunnel, recovery locomotives to be on standby immediately adjacent to the tunnel entrances, passengers to be leave the set at Folkestone or Coquelles for onward journey via Tornado or similar.

Oops. More assumptions. We don't know what Eurostar/Eurotunnel's figures are for this, so we're just picking numbers out of the air.

Why do we need such a ridiculously high number of locos? How many times has there been more than one Eurostar failed in the tunnel at the same time? Actually, I'm struggling to think if a Eurostar has EVER failed in the tunnel in 15 years of operation.

Again, we come back to odds. Due to the level of built-in redundancy required under Channel Tunnel regulations, the chances of any train cleared to use the tunnel becoming a complete failure is far lower than with conventional mainline trains. Like it or not, having five trains totally failed on the same 31.4 mile piece of track is astonomically unlikely, as the fact that nothing even remotely approaching this has happened in 15 years of operation should tell you.

Under no circumstances send the recovery locomotive to London, that would be a ridiculous thing to do because it might be needed to recover other failed sets; and I'm convinced that a competent management team would ensure that this didn't happen

Why not? Where were all these failed Eurostars meant to go?

If the only way to ensure that there was enough platform space locally for all the failed sets was to send one of them forward to London, then that is what is required. If you've filled up all available local platforms and still have two trains in the tunnel then you're going to have a problem.

Never yet found a well designed compressed air system that couldn't be fettled to improve performance, although I'm sure there are some VE systems that have no leaway, alternatives would include priority operation (leave doors on manual emergency control and prioritise brake circuits).

Without adequate pressure in the main reservoir pipe (MRP) the brakes won't come off. It's a safety system that ensures a train running low on air stops before it runs out altogether. You have to achieve full or almost full pressure in the MRP in all vehicles of the train, so you have no option but to sit and wait.

Oh, and you really do want to wait until you've got sufficient brake air so you can stop again if you need to, sufficient air in the train suspension so that the passengers aren't bounced around too badly and sufficient door air to ensure that the doors are held shut so that no-one and nothing falls out (applies to certain older mainline stock, not Eurostar).

O L Leigh

jon0844

Veteran Member
I really respect the long responses posted here, but fear they're a waste of time when someone clearly wants everyone to think that people were lucky to escape with their lives that night.

Eurostar won't get off easily for this, now that Eurotunnel has made a scathing statement and there will be much more information to come, but the suggestions of how to prevent this are crazy and unworkable. I think most passengers, including those who were stuck that night, would still prefer to get those £69 return fares than be told that there's a new levy to pay for all of these modifications and extra rescue trains.

Micky Redmire

A Happy New Year to all

MIcky Redmire
Your persistance in dramatising the incident by the use of emotive language such as "entrapment", and "survivability" is now going beyond resonable limits.

You made a whole series of statements as to what should have been done, and what is wrong with the system. Each one of those I have dealt with, as indeed have others, and shown without doubt that they are neither feasible or sensible, and in many cases actually import risk.

You neatly sidestep and response to this merely now throwing in design criteria.
I'm pleased that you recognise my persistence. Regarding "entrapment" and "survivability", which alternative words would you prefer? Which part of providing additional recovery locomotives is neither feasible, sensible or imports risk? And how is my statement regarding additional recovery locomotives a sidestep? Have not Eurotunnel already provided an additional recovery locomotive?
Until the design criteria is clarified we could go round in circles to year dot, and this is where we differ, my view is that if the existing design permits extended entrapment as suffered by the Eurostar passengers before Christmas then the design is flawed. If the existing design doesn't permit extended entrapment then how did it occur? Your view is that the existing design is satisfactory and that the extended periods of passenger entrapment were and are acceptable, which begs the question: why have Eurostar apologised for the incident?

Your assertions here again are wrong because you infer that the the people who did this are incompetent. They were not and indeed their expertise in both engineering and systems design matters as well as safety far outranks that which you like to believe that you hold.

Did what? The original design or the recent recovery operation? We must be clear here. Relying on inference merely clouds the issues. How do you know what design and operational expertise I hold?

With regards to the Submarine scenario, you now ask if I have been in the engine room of a diesel ship. Well actually no, but I doubt very much that they would be sloshing around in water, nor would they be shrouded in mist.

Here is a link to a couple of photographs of a ships engineroom. Not quite the watery, humid, hades you suggest. http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/7922-ship-engine-room.html

In the context of my previous post, boat = submarine ... but you knew that didn't you? So why post links to a cargo ship? Merely confuses the issue.

You are welcome to your own views, however these are not in accord with how the Industry operates, nor on how the various Regulatory powers are happy for the Railways to operate.

The happiness of Regulatory powers? This is a new concept to me, do you mean regulatory bodies? Have the HSE been "happy" with the operation of railway industry over the years? Are you stating that the HSE have not instigated a prosecution against any part of the UK rail industry over, say, the last 20 years or so?

Risk assessment requires that risk are reasonably mitigated and it only requires hazards that are reasonably forseeable to be mitigated.

There is no requirement for system design to take into account every incident that could conceiveably happen. It is this type of attitude and approach that has put Local Authorities particularly way up on the list of incompetent organisations that provide fun to us all from time to time by seeking to mitigate every risk and in doing so to far and beyond what normal people would see as sensible.

Risk assessment also does NOT require that the risk be removed. Many situations occur where a hazard remains a high risk hazard despite mitigation. This neither makes it wrong or illegal.

My view is that it is forseeable that several sets could fail within the tunnel due to disconnection of the power supply to some or all of the traction motors. From the information available, my view has been proven to be correct. UK H&S legislation requires that the workplace is as safe as reasonably practicable for employees, sub-contractors and others, so that's everyone then. The HSE (and the courts) will seek similar levels of safety for non-workplace environments. Other than extreme rescue situations, I can't envisage workplace or public transport situations where anyone could or should be exposed to a high risk of serious injury or death, risk reduction is always achievable for places of work and transport ... so no need for any postings regarding rock climbing or horse riding ;) You probably need to review your understanding of CDM, you are aware that it has been updated recently, aren't you? My view is that in light of the extended entrapment periods, the design risk assessment should be reviewed. Did the recovery process work as designed or not? It's as simple as that.

An example of note is the highways contractors who place the road cones. They run across the motorway between vehicles, and every so often one of them get swiped out. HSE take no action because the risk assessment accepts that this can occur. You may wish to ask why the Police do not stop the road entirely when they are placing out the cones, thus removing all risk ??? I will leave you to draw your own conclusions on that one.
Please post a link to this risk assessment, I'd like to review it ... By the way, the HSE have taken action, you can find relevant info on the internet.

At the end of the day, train failures will occur and there are suitable procedures and resources in place to deal with them.
So why didn't these procedures and resources work for the trapped Eurostar passengers/ Or do you believe that the recovery procedures worked correctly?

The Railway Industry does not have unlimited funds, neither do its users. Indeed with regards to Eurostar operations, there is a very elastic demand (PED) against which they operate against competitors.

In a perfect world where money was of no consequence then things may be different. Until then real life intervenes and requires hard decisions to tough problems. Everything is compromise, as every engineer will tell you, all that can be decided is the degree.

It is so very easy to sit behind a keyboard and preach theory, second-guessing a once in a million event (which I anticipate this will turn out to be) it is a much harder and more exacting task to have to make the hard decisions. In my experience those who shout loudest are least able to make such decisions.

I have no doubt that there will be some issues that arise from the incident which will result in the need for modifications to existing system and procedures. I would be surprised if there are not.

One hopes that the recommendations will be taken in the cold light of day rather than under the hot light of drama, and media spin, which is inevitably aimed at making headlines and selling papers/gaining viewers. If on the way to this goal the real facts are discarded then no-one in the media gives two hoots. Headlines and revenue are what they seek, not a rational or logical reasoned explanation.

Someone posted the sort of nonesense that comes out of such incidents......Mr Nodding Donkey who claimed the whole system was "a death-trap".....and it is such stupid comments that in modern times the media treat as if carved into a stone that has been brought direct from Mount Sinai.
I can condense my reply to the above into one question:
Did the timescales and procedures for the recovery of the trapped passengers comply to the design risk assessment and the Employer's Requirements?

I have a supplementary question: is there a secondary 25kV supply to the tunnel? If so, is there a common point of protection for primary and secondary supplies?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At least our cars would be cheaper then!! ;)

Seriously, with regards to the 'real risk' of fainting = hitting head and swallowing tongue, what a load of drivel. I suggest the poster might want to attend some first aid training to learn how stupid that series of events would be (not least the swallowing tongue).
What do you think the recovery position is for?
I cannot say for certain but it seems that trains 4 and 5 were permitted into the tunnel after the first train had failed (although not necessarily declared a failure at that point) but were diverted around it into the North tunnel, where they themselves failed.

The second statement baffles me. It seems to read that a recovery loco should be on the running line, then be moved out of the way into a siding so a train can enter, and then moved back onto the running line blocking the tunnel entrance until that train has cleared the tunnel. Once there is confirmation that that train is clear, the recovery loco then clears the tunnel entrance so the next train can enter.
That surely is not what you are suggesting?
No.
Recovery locomotives to be positioned in sidings immediately adjacent to the entrances to the tunnel so that the risk of recovery locos being obstructed by other sets external to but in the vicinity of the tunnel entrances is reduced.
The provision of additional locos in not unworkable. It's unnecessary, as I have been at pains to explain. A working Eurostar can "assist" a failed set without the need to involve rescue locos.
I understand the principle of an assisting Eurostar, but if 5 sets failed in the tunnel then the principle is flawed (and from the information available I'm not convinced that the primary fault wasn't disconnection of the power supply to the tunnel)
We've covered this too. Traction motors can be isolated, either singly, in groups or all at once depending on the precise traction and the nature of the fault(s). What won't help is if snow ingress has done for the main transformers or, particularly, the battery safety cut-out.
Again, good design should ensure that only faulty circuits/components are disconnected. If the protection to a traction motor detects over current then the motor should be disconnected, but not the aux systems; I recognise that there occasions where high fault currents may cause primary protection to disconnect, but efficient reconnection of the primary protection should be possible when the relevant traction motors have been disconnected.

You're assuming that this doesn't already happen. I have no way of knowing if you're right or not. However, it is usual practice to download the OTMR (black box) on a faulty train to assist the fitters in tracing and rectifying a fault. Many new types of train already have the capability to be remotely downloaded from a control room.

However, sometimes a fault is hard to trace and there is no alternative but to rig and run a test train. It was only after Eurostar did this very thing that the precise nature of the fault became known.

If remote monitoring of moisture detection in the traction motors had occurred whilst crossing France, then this fault should have been cleared before entering the tunnel, I understand that "wrong" snow has previously afflicted Eurostar.

But an impending problem does not automatically mean a train will become a total failure. Nor does it automatically mean that the traincrew cannot identify and isolate the offending system so that the train can continue in service. At what point do the controllers decide that a service should be terminated short on what may still be a perfectly healthy train?
Design risk assessment and O&M manual should deal with timescales. My point is that remote monitoring of moisture levels could have identified the issue before the 1st train entered the tunnel

15 minutes is just not enough time to explore all the options and to attempt remedial action, even if the TMS and/or the controller can assist the traincrew in their actions.
Ah, but remote monitoring could have generated alerts prior to entering the tunnel

Oops. More assumptions. We don't know what Eurostar/Eurotunnel's figures are for this, so we're just picking numbers out of the air.

2 hours is typical for emergency lighting and fire protection in civilian, non-nuclear, non-petrochem, and "non-similar" environments; but you're right, existing design documentation should provide the answers.

Why do we need such a ridiculously high number of locos? How many times has there been more than one Eurostar failed in the tunnel at the same time? Actually, I'm struggling to think if a Eurostar has EVER failed in the tunnel in, the 15 years of operation.
Because the existing number (2) was not sufficient, I understand that Eurostar have increased the number to 3, so things are improving ...

Again, we come back to odds. Due to the level of built-in redundancy required under Channel Tunnel regulations, the chances of any train cleared to use the tunnel becoming a complete failure is far lower than with conventional mainline trains. Like it or not, having five trains totally failed on the same 31.4 mile piece of track is astonomically unlikely, as the fact that nothing even remotely approaching this has happened in 15 years of operation should tell you.

But it has now happened, therefore the original design should be reviewed. Did the system work as designed?
Why not? Where were all these failed Eurostars meant to go?

If the only way to ensure that there was enough platform space locally for all the failed sets was to send one of them forward to London, then that is what is required. If you've filled up all available local platforms and still have two trains in the tunnel then you're going to have a problem.
Can we not move some back into France? Can the passengers not leave the recovered set at the local platform and then move the set into the Kent countryside?
But all this should be dealt with by the original design and O&M manual.

Without adequate pressure in the main reservoir pipe (MRP) the brakes won't come off. It's a safety system that ensures a train running low on air stops before it runs out altogether. You have to achieve full or almost full pressure in the MRP in all vehicles of the train, so you have no option but to sit and wait.

Oh, and you really do want to wait until you've got sufficient brake air so you can stop again if you need to, sufficient air in the train suspension so that the passengers aren't bounced around too badly and sufficient door air to ensure that the doors are held shut so that no-one and nothing falls out (applies to certain older mainline stock, not Eurostar).
Can we have reduced pressure requirements for low speed recovery operations? Air pressure holds the doors closed? Does this mean that the doors can be opened by hand if the pressure drops? I assumed air to close and open but a fail-to-safe mechanical lock that can be opened in the event of an emergency. As previously, this should all be dealt with by the existing design.
I really respect the long responses posted here,
Thank you.

but fear they're a waste of time when someone clearly wants everyone to think that people were lucky to escape with their lives that night.
Who is this someone?

Eurostar won't get off easily for this, now that Eurotunnel has made a scathing statement and there will be much more information to come, but the suggestions of how to prevent this are crazy and unworkable. I think most passengers, including those who were stuck that night, would still prefer to get those £69 return fares than be told that there's a new levy to pay for all of these modifications and extra rescue trains.
The Eurotunnel statement was a nonsense, it should have been a holding statement confirming that the issue was being investigated, modifications had been undertaken and that the system did not present undue risks to passengers. An overview of the initial investigation and subsequent modifications should have been provided in a separate report.

Why additional costs? If the original design is flawed then the designer should be be responsible for additional costs, perhaps involving the designer's PI cover. If the operation was flawed but the original design was satisfactory then enhanced communications and additional training may be all that is required. The cost for the installation of remote moisture monitoring is peanuts.

No more from me now on this thread until I've identified the design risk assessment timescales for the release of trapped passengers ... do you think Eurostar/Eurotunnel will supply me with that info ... ?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Your sarcasm has not gone unnoticed! Nice long post, but it would surely help if you actually had some knowledge on the whole industry.

You give advice on things you're also asking others to explain to you! That doesn't make any sense at all.

Old Timer

Established Member
He also refuses to reply to any specific points raised, merely throwing back his same tedious old argument, which for the sake of memory is :-

Require the design team to account for any failures in design (tunnel and sets)
Require the construction team to account for any failures in construction
Require the set vendor to account for any failures in design and construction of the sets
Require the maintenance team to account for any failures in maintenance, testing and inspection (tunnel and sets)
Require the operation team to account for any failures in operation (was a set sent into the tunnel with a failed set ahead?)
Procure sufficient locomotives to haul 7 dead sets out of one tunnel, these locomotives to be on permanent standby, with, say, 4 additional out of service undergoing maintenance.
Install sufficient secondary power supplies, food, water medical equipment etc to enable 7 fully laden failed sets to maintain a comfortable environment for 24 hours and a survivable environment for 60 hours.

As he quite rightly says :-
Just needs someone to sign the cheque ..
I doubt he would want to pay so it will be for the punters.

No comment on the various people who slept in their cars on the blocked Motorways or were trapped in coaches or who sat in sealed aircraft waiting a take-off slot.

The sensible people have understood the issue and the potential for re-occurrence, that leaves only those with their own agenda to rant on.

I smell an underlying issue with either Eurotunnel or Eurstar in the background on this one.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
We've seen planes that can be made almost bomb proof, so I'm surprised nobody is demanding that all planes are MADE bomb proof.

Clearly the cost of doing this is huge and would probably add huge costs on to travelling by air, but why hasn't some nut come out and said all planes should be built to withstand a bomb?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I've kept out of this thread because it has seemed to have become obsessive, lacking in perspective, and, ultimately, sterile.
But for the record, I want to make my clear my strong opposition to the calls for greatly increased redundacies in the CT design and operation, amounting to over-engineering.

I believe that UK railways already suffer from more protection and system complexity than is appropriate or necessary.
Yes, I want to ensure the protection of staff and travellers from damaging hazards - of course I do. But we already live in a society which insulates us from very many of the hazards of life and nature, and as we've seen elsewhere, to continually protect us from misfortune is a never-ending pursuit - a pursuit which, in protecting us from one hazard, only reveals how exposed us to the next hazard!
(And I don't think being stuck in a cold dark tunnel for a few hours is, in the perspective of my life, would be a greatly significant event)
Lets remember some of the thousands of other risks to our comfort and punctuality which would still remain if we implemented these expensive engineering "solutions" to the CT. Whether they are radical political change, militaristic activity, pathogenic diseases, fuel crises, variations in land, sea and weather patterns, animal behaviour patterns, social unrest, contamination of food supplies or train failure etc, there really are thousands of ways to become inconvenienced.

So can I plea for more perspective in our wishes for the future?
Please?
The Channel Tunnel is a welcome achievement (even if it could be better). But the real hazards which the future will present us with are probably going to be elsewhere - lets just go and live in some less insulated societies for a while to gain a more realistic perspective (I don't necessarily mean live in an undernourished nation with no healthcare or with civil war killing our relatives - just a few days with the homeless in the UK in this freezing temperature might help).

Anyone agree with me that this has gone far, far too far?

Old Timer

Established Member
I think those of us who work on the job do, as well as those who have taken the time to understand the system and how it works, would definitely agree with you.

Ultimately it is impossible to reason with someone whose basis for argument revolves around emotionally biased words such as "entrapment" and "survivability". Surprised we have not had entombment...yet, bearing in mind it was a tunnel.

One would like to imagine that he has been on other Fora preaching about the need for vast improvements in highways given that people had to sleep in their cars overnight during the latest snowstorms, and raging against those who "entrapped" passengers inside aircraft which were still on the ground 7 hours after the doors closed.

Somehow I think we will not see this.

I think the railway staff jury is still out on the proposition he is either a troll, or acts like this in real life.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I understand the principle of an assisting Eurostar, but if 5 sets failed in the tunnel then the principle is flawed (and from the information available I'm not convinced that the primary fault wasn't disconnection of the power supply to the tunnel)

Then you misunderstand the information available to you, as an electric Shuttle train was used to evacuate one of the failed sets. This would not have been possible if the overheads had tripped.

In any case, one freak event does not invalidate a perfectly workable principle.

Again, good design should ensure that only faulty circuits/components are disconnected. If the protection to a traction motor detects over current then the motor should be disconnected, but not the aux systems; I recognise that there occasions where high fault currents may cause primary protection to disconnect, but efficient reconnection of the primary protection should be possible when the relevant traction motors have been disconnected.

Hello...!!! That's what I told you days ago.

In any case, as I have also said on a number of ocassions, isolating motors won't help you reconnect to the power supply if you've blown a transformer or the battery safety cut-out has operated.

If remote monitoring of moisture detection in the traction motors had occurred whilst crossing France, then this fault should have been cleared before entering the tunnel, I understand that "wrong" snow has previously afflicted Eurostar.

Design risk assessment and O&M manual should deal with timescales. My point is that remote monitoring of moisture levels could have identified the issue before the 1st train entered the tunnel

Ah, but remote monitoring could have generated alerts prior to entering the tunnel

Yes, so you keep saying.

But my question still stands. What do you do with the alerts once you have them? Cancel the train? Terminate it short? What if the train then fails to, um, fail as the computer predicts? What use is an alert about moisture in the motors proves to be a red herring and that the train keeled over because of some other fault, such as a blown main transformer or some other major fault?

2 hours is typical for emergency lighting and fire protection in civilian, non-nuclear, non-petrochem, and "non-similar" environments; but you're right, existing design documentation should provide the answers.

Thank you.

Because the existing number (2) was not sufficient, I understand that Eurostar have increased the number to 3, so things are improving ...

Two locos is perfectly adequate. If more really were required to deal with any forseeable incident, more would have been provided from day one. However, as I seem to say on a tiresomely repetitive basis, this was a freak incident.

But it has now happened, therefore the original design should be reviewed. Did the system work as designed?

I don't know. Do you?

Can we not move some back into France? Can the passengers not leave the recovered set at the local platform and then move the set into the Kent countryside?

And leave it where? On the running lines somewhere?

No, that just isn't any sort of option. You can't just park up a train on the running lines causing an obstruction. Unfortunately it has to go somewhere. Back to France may be an option, but that depends on which direction help is coming from. However, it would not have been a popular option with the passengers who would suddenly find themselves back on the wrong side of the Channel.

Can we have reduced pressure requirements for low speed recovery operations?

No, it's not technically possible. You either wait for it to "blow up" or run it unbraked at no more than 5mph.

Air pressure holds the doors closed? Does this mean that the doors can be opened by hand if the pressure drops? I assumed air to close and open but a fail-to-safe mechanical lock that can be opened in the event of an emergency. As previously, this should all be dealt with by the existing design.

On some stock, yes. But not Eurostar. However, where this system is used there are other safeguards in place.

O L Leigh

Engineer

Eurostar is speed limited descending and braking into the tunnel, momentum of these heavy trains can propel them a long way without power applied. Momentum is half MV squared, where M is mass & V is velocity. Problem occurs on rear power car that has been enveloped in dust and snow spray from the trains passage. Rain is heavy and easily withdrawn from cooling air flow, high humidity and light flakes get past. Unit fails when power re applied probably from current trips sensing before the 25 kV supply is transformed to a lower voltage at high amps. Eurostar needs all 12 power axles working to climb a heavy train out of tunnel. I don't believe this is a fast changing temperature sensor problem, but that is my guess. Covering the louvres with open weave hessian restricts cooling air flow. Paris based 373's on Ski trains use 1500V DC onto Bourg St Maurice, in high snow area, but speed is much slower through Chambery area. Pointing at High voltage leakage on Eurotunnel contaminated wiring or electronics. Interesting France once used de icing chemical on roads, but I noticed huge amounts of salt grit spray in Pas De Calais last week.

But surely the problem would arise soon after the train has entered the tunnel, rather then deep enough in for more trains to follow it, which they must have done for 5 of them to be in there at once.

LWB

:oops: FYI

Momentum (an extensive vector) is mv
Kinetic energy (an extensive scalar) is 0.5mv^2

:)

Last edited:

Micky Redmire

Thought I should post an update: still no reply from either Eurostar or Eurotunnel regarding the design risk assessment timescales for the release of trapped passengers, there seems to be a communication problem ...

Just thought I'd add this link here: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601110&sid=a43cUi55j54I another Eurostar failed in the tunnel on Jan 9th 2010, towed out by a
Eurotunnel rescue locomotive
, but they are learning:
Two southbound trains and a northbound one were brought to a standstill after the failure and were later turned back from the tunnel to avoid any repetition of last month’s breakdowns,

Anyone care to revise previous comments regarding the likelihood of Eurostars failing in the tunnel?
Eurostar needs all 12 power axles working to climb a heavy train out of tunnel.
So there's no redundancy? That cannot be right .... can it?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Lucky they don't let 180s through then. They'd probably not even manage going downhill!

I am surprised that a train needs to be fully powered to proceed, especially in a tunnel. If true, I'm amazed the problem hasn't happened many times before.

Lucky they don't let 180s through then. They'd probably not even manage going downhill!

I am surprised that a train needs to be fully powered to proceed, especially in a tunnel. If true, I'm amazed the problem hasn't happened many times before.

I remember attending an I Mech E lecture many years ago, prior to the tunnel opening. I can't remember who gave the paper but have a feeling it was somebody from GEC Alsthom. I'm sure he stated that to provide redundancy, a half set had to be suitably sized from the point of view of tractive effort, to haul (or propel) a full set out of the tunnel, in the case of traction failure.

Of course, in the case of OHLE failure, the Eurotunnel rescue locos are the only solution.

captainbigun

I understand that 2 powered bogies are required to shift a full set out of the tunnel. There are 6 powered bogies per set.

jbou

Thought people may be interested to listen to an episode of BBC Radio 4's The Report, which is airing this evening at 8.00PM.

You can download the podcast here: Podcast

This is only my second post on this forum, and I certainly don't have the technical knowledge that a lot of people here do have. However, I remain very concerned by the incompetencies Eurostar demonstrated on the 18th December. It seems to me that they were terribly complacent as a company and that their staff provided no information to passengers over many hours in the tunnel - quite remarkable. The fact that the French Chef de bord they interview answers questions in French demonstrates that, even if they are trained correctly in safety procedures (which, patently, they are not), Eurostar staff are not capable of communicating properly with a predominantly English customer base.

Eurotunnel's decision to allow trains 4 and 5 into the South tunnel with the other three having broken down is similarly amazing. Whenever there's a technical fault with an aircraft, it is carefully investigated and similar models around the world put right. There is no question of allowing a design that has failed once to continue in service, let alone one that has failed three times that same evening.

I think some of the blasé posters above should remember that this is a tunnel that has experienced three fires in its relatively short service history. (See: Wikipedia) It is quite possible that in a future situation a breakdown and a fire will occur simultaneously. At the moment, Eurostar and Eurotunnel would not have my confidence that they were able to do everything possible to evacuate people quickly in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.