• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chase Line electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

syorksdeano

I'm sure a few months ago the Crosscountry service from Birmingham to Sheffield was diverted via Walsall (where I had just left) due to a broke down freight train at Tamworth.

Think we missed all the stations out before arriving at Derby some hour later than planned

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
If you were going from Birmingham to Sheffield, I'd be amazed if you were diverted via anything other than the Cross City North/Lichfield. The only other realistic option is via Leicester. Theoretically speaking, going via Walsall would involve a reversal somewhere random on the WCML or at Stafford or Stoke.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If you were going from Birmingham to Sheffield, I'd be amazed if you were diverted via anything other than the Cross City North/Lichfield. The only other realistic option is via Leicester. Theoretically speaking, going via Walsall would involve a reversal somewhere random on the WCML or at Stafford or Stoke.

There was a spell of diversions recently when some XC Birmingham-Derby trains were diverted via Walsall and the Sutton Park line, while others went via Lichfield City.
I did both routes one day, using a rare opportunity to travel on those freight lines.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Those diversions will be back on over late May bank holiday for New St resignalling.

the sniper

Established Member
There was a spell of diversions recently when some XC Birmingham-Derby trains were diverted via Walsall and the Sutton Park line, while others went via Lichfield City.
I did both routes one day, using a rare opportunity to travel on those freight lines.

Indeed, but that doesn't avoid Tamworth. ;)

QueensCurve

Established Member
I don't deny that, but unless the Trent Valley is shut and Bushbury Stafford, there is no reason for them to use it.

It did happen once, about 35y ago. I travelled on the route then at a time when it had no regular passenger service.

snowball

Established Member
Bloxwich LC to close permanently

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...ing-to-close-as-chase-line-upgrade-continues/

Bloxwich level crossing is to permanently close as Network Rail continues to upgrade the railway between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley.

The upgrade and electrification of the line, part of the Railway Upgrade Plan, means that trains will be faster, more frequent and quieter through the area.

To keep local people safe and reduce risk, the crossing will be permanently closed from 0001 on Saturday 13 January.

Network Rail has worked closely with Walsall Council to plan the closure and provide alternative ways of crossing the railway.

A new road bridge at Central Drive provides access over the railway for motorists. A pedestrian footbridge will be built and is due to open in summer 2018.

While the crossing is closed and the footbridge is being built, a free shuttle service will be provided for pedestrians who need to cross the railway.

Eddie Hughes, MP for Walsall North, said: “Although the level crossing is closing, in the interim, Network Rail will be providing a minibus service to ferry people from one side of the crossing to the other before a footbridge is installed.

“This will cause some inconvenience in the short term however in the long term there is going to be a tremendous amount of benefits, as it will mean faster and more frequent trains with improved safety. This will benefit the people of Bloxwich and the surrounding area in the long run.”

Martin Tiller, sponsor for the Chase Line upgrade for Network Rail, said: “We are investing over £100m to improve journeys between Birmingham New Street and Rugeley Trent Valley via Walsall. Passengers will benefit from a more reliable train service and those who live near the railway will see a reduction in railway related noise as electric trains are quieter than diesel trains.

“Closing the crossing is an important part of the upgrade and will make it safer for local people to cross the railway using the new footbridge or the new road bridge at Central Drive.”

Councillor Lee Jeavons, portfolio holder for transport and regeneration at Walsall Council, said: “The council has always supported Network Rail’s electrification project of the Walsall to Rugeley Trent Valley railway, also known as the Chase Line. Not only will it improve Walsall’s connections with the region, which is vital to the economic growth of the borough but it also reduces noise levels for local residents.

“Since the start of the project we asked that Network Rail keep residents and local businesses informed of the plans to close the crossing. It’s important we have assurances that disruption will be kept to a minimum.”

Work which will take place through the area once the crossing has closed includes realigning the track and raising the speed limit of trains from 25 to 50 mph.

For more information visit www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/lnw/chase-line-electrification-rugeley-to-walsall/.

59CosG95

Established Member
So, I took a little trip down the Chase Line today, and as of February 2018, this is the situation:

Pretty much all masts/TTCs up from Rugeley TV to Rugeley Town, Tensorex equipment and dangly bits appearing sporadically.

About 2 masts missing from Rugeley Town to Hednesford. Some TTCs are boomless. Tensorex equipment up every so often.
Cabling troughs for the feeder station north of Hednesford ready for installation; no evidence of masts in Hednesford Station itself.

From Hednesford to Cannock, all masts appear to be up; some TTCs have sprouted dangly bits. Tensorex also in evidence here, but no masts in station.
Cannock to Landywood: some TT portals have gained booms, some have yet to. A few piles here and there are mastless, and a mixture of boomed and boomless TTCs are in evidence.
At Landywood, TTCs are opposite the southbound skewed platforms, but are without booms. The northbound platform has no such luck.

Landywood to Bloxwich N: most single masts appear to be up. A few boomless TTPs are in evidence, while a number of cast TTC foundations (sans masts) are also present; especially near Bloxwich North. A couple of foundations for what looks like TTCs are installed behind P2 at Bloxwich N.

Between the Bloxwiches: a lot of foundations on both sides still need masts, I counted about 2 or 3 being up.

Bloxwich to Walsall: most masts up on the southbound side, with a few gaps here and there; Ryecroft Jct is devoid of masts. Nothing up on the northbound side, but at Ryecroft, some piles are midway through being driven on the northbound side.

In Walsall itself and further south towards Bescot/Wolves, new masts/cantilevers/portals are sprouting to replace the 1960s equipment.

driver_m

Established Member
Are there any signalling alterations also planned at Rugeley i.e a move into Rugby ROC? Noticed a lot of new above-ground signalling cable runs on the main West Coast at Rugeley. The initial section to Walsall is presumably still controlled by the Colwich panel in Stoke Box?

The Planner

Veteran Member
No, the Chase Line is all controlled by the WMSCC at Saltley and has been since about 2013 when we closed Walsall, Bloxwich, Hednesford and Brereton boxes. The bit controlled by Stoke has only ever gone down to around the Power Station junction.

driver_m

Established Member
That's eventually going to go into the ROC though isn't it? I'd guess not anytime soon but the structures around Rugeley are pretty decrepit aren't they? The signal bases are all the original 60s installations around there. The metal cable runs are exactly the same as those being put in around Runcorn which is imminently being resignalled.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Stoke will go into Rugby ROC at some point, not any time soon I expect. WMSCC I doubt will ever move.

TBSchenker

Network Rail still plans to close WMSCC.

Attachments

• 5B1DD1AA-8089-40AD-A316-6D89FE464C39.jpeg
    5B1DD1AA-8089-40AD-A316-6D89FE464C39.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 65

The Planner

Veteran Member
:lol::lol: no chance of that happening by 2019, if they were going to move it then they would have put the resignalled sections of New St in already, which they havent.

Elecman

Established Member
I think with devolvement of Railway powers to the local TfWM they will want to keep all thier lines covered by WMSCC rather than dispersed to Rugby ROC.

59CosG95

Established Member
Some visual updates from Bescot today; a number of TTC masts have sprouted in the area. One can be seen here (next to what I can presume to be a neutral section in progress) on the curve between Bescot Jct & Pleck Jct, a couple can be seen around Bescot Jct itself, and about 4 or 5 of them (with booms up) have sprouted on the section between Bescot Jct & Darlaston Jct.

Attachments

• IMG_8077.jpg
    IMG_8077.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 85

59CosG95

Established Member
Updates on blockades for the route:
No service between Tame Bridge Parkway & Rugeley TV on March the 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th, and between March the 30th and April the 2nd (i.e. Easter Weekend). WMR's website also seems to state that the work will continue until December 31st, 2018...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That's eventually going to go into the ROC though isn't it? I'd guess not anytime soon but the structures around Rugeley are pretty decrepit aren't they? The signal bases are all the original 60s installations around there. The metal cable runs are exactly the same as those being put in around Runcorn which is imminently being resignalled.

Stoke will go into Rugby ROC at some point, not any time soon I expect. WMSCC I doubt will ever move.

Replacement of the Colwich-Armitage area signalling is listed in the LNW Route business plan for CP6.
Along with the resignalling of Crewe...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Colwich Armitage will end up in ROC, the rest of the Stoke SCC is unlikely to in CP6. Crewe will end up in Manchester and don't expect wholesale changes there either.

The_Engineer

It's been a bit quiet here of late! I am interested to know the progress on this project - can anyone local or interested provide an update either as work completed or work remaining, please? Structures and electrification.

The_Engineer

I guess it was the restoration of the stations which ended the route being used as a diversion.
I certainly used the Rugeley to Walsall line several times with diverted Crewe to Birmingham trains in the early 70s. Also on one occasion on a mystery tour that ended up at Weston Super Mare.

Status
Not open for further replies.