• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child in buggy gets blown onto tube track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
So we can assume the mother didnt put the brake on or have hold of the buggy.:roll:

eMeS

OK - a silly and dangerous thing to do, but is there anything like a "Communication Cord" on a tube station platform? And if there is, what would that do?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks that way from one of the pictures
_76869571_goodgestbuggy9.jpg

Probably forgot to put the brake on and it rolled forward

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK - a silly and dangerous thing to do, but is there anything like a "Communication Cord" on a tube station platform? And if there is, what would that do?
There are buttons marked 'emergency' and 'information' which connect to the Station Supervisor's office (or station control room where provided). Victoria & Central lines have emergency stop plungers that are signed for the public.

Abpj17

You need to watch the video.

It was the father that carried the buggy downstairs. It was left unguarded because it looks like he went back up to fetch a second buggy.

It's not clear whether a brake was on or not, but it's not obvious it would have changed the outcome.

The buggy was sucked from the bottom of the stairs in the corridor between the platforms, all the way onto the track. it's not clear at all that it rolled (it rotated a little as well).

theageofthetra

On Moderation
It is beyond me why prams (and in particular those large 3 wheeled jogging ones) aren't made to have an always on brake. You then depress an handle or lever to move it like on an airport baggage trolley. I've seen (a fortunately empty) one blown off a sea wall, travel halfway down a braking train plus of course that cctv of the one in Melbourne last year. Far more insightful of the stupidity of this pair is the woman giving priority to retreiving a bag from under the negative rail as the lights from an incomming train can be seen.

IanD

Established Member
Scary stuff

Originally Posted by IanD
Unbelievable the bloke on the platform does nothing to help.

He was looking the other way with headphones on...

At the start yes, but then turned round and watched them with his arms folded.

Either way it's happened now and no one's dead and hopfully they're all unhurt, just shaken.

Question. Do any tube stations have a barrier in front of the exit/entrance similar to the basic type barrier you might get near a kids playground, to stop kids runing out onto the road? I don't mean anything hugly obstructive?

Somthing like this (next to the lampost)
2ymg0hg.png

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Yes. Many tube stations do have this feature. Sadly, not in this incident, as we've all seen!

Just VERY lucky that there weren't any major instances. Of course, something needs to be done however to prevent occurrences like this happening again!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I always apply the brakes, but then I only have one child and one buggy - so having to leave it isn't really a scenario I'd ever be part of. In fact, I am possibly the only person that also wears the wrist strap - which even my wife doesn't. (You could argue that in some situations, this is more dangerous.. rather like a rucksack without the emergency release velcro).

I doubt the brakes were put on. Even though they're only on the rear wheels, they're pretty solid. I am sure the air pressure blast was strong, but doubt it would shift the buggy much (more likely tip it over).

However, I totally agree that buggies should have a permanent brake unless released manually design - although I suspect that could make pushing one for a long time a bit uncomfortable and people would simply not buy them.

Maybe another option would be to do with the wrist strap. Take it off, and it sets the brakes, but of course that almost certainly means some sort of powered solution.

Did the platform have emergency buttons on the wall to cut the power (or whatever they actually do)?

While I don't want to shift blame on London Underground for this, the use of barriers would be a worthwhile investment. Already used at many stations, they have another benefit in stopping people from blocking the passageways. A barrier, even if not designed for this incident, would have worked.

I wonder if there will be a subsequent legal challenge from the family on the basis that the lack of a barrier made LU negligent?!

IanD

Established Member
Either way it's happened now and no one's dead and hopfully they're all unhurt, just shaken.

Question. Do any tube stations have a barrier in front of the exit/entrance similar to the basic type barrier you might get near a kids playground, to stop kids runing out onto the road? I don't mean anything hugly obstructive?

Somthing like this (next to the lampost)
2ymg0hg.png

A lot of platforms where the stairs lead directly to the platform without any intervening corners have barriers like those.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I wonder if there will be a subsequent legal challenge from the family on the basis that the lack of a barrier made LU negligent?!

If there is then they should be told where to go.

Every road in that case should have a barrier between it and the footpath, every river too.

Sometimes people need to look at there own failings which was what happened here.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
While I don't want to shift blame on London Underground for this, the use of barriers would be a worthwhile investment. Already used at many stations, they have another benefit in stopping people from blocking the passageways. A barrier, even if not designed for this incident, would have worked.

I think the likelihood is that there is a significant problem with those barriers being fitted everywhere as there will be many stations where the passageway(s) line up with a set of train doors.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just because people choose to take action (and I bet there will be solicitors camping outside their house trying to offer them 'help') doesn't mean they'll get anywhere. And I certainly hope they don't too.

Simon11

Established Member
I wonder if we will see a new campaign by LU, asking parents to not face buggies towards the track and instead towards the end of the platform. It seem common sense that most parents are unaware of.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
I wonder if we will see a new campaign by LU, asking parents to not face buggies towards the track and instead towards the end of the platform. It seem common sense that most parents are unaware of.

You did see the video didn't you? The buggy wasn't facing the track at all.

Abpj17

It is beyond me why prams (and in particular those large 3 wheeled jogging ones) aren't made to have an always on brake. You then depress an handle or lever to move it like on an airport baggage trolley. I've seen (a fortunately empty) one blown off a sea wall, travel halfway down a braking train plus of course that cctv of the one in Melbourne last year. Far more insightful of the stupidity of this pair is the woman giving priority to retreiving a bag from under the negative rail as the lights from an incomming train can be seen.

As an experienced buggy pusher (two sets of twins), then I'd suggest the risks of RSI. You can spend weeks of your life pushing a buggy; that's not true for a baggage trolley.

When you're travelling - given the amount of huffing buggies up and down stairs given the lack of lifts, you often go for light weight, easy to fold buggies. They are less likely to have a decent braking system.

Northern Line at Camden has barriers that probably would have stop this. Given the odd circulation of the air, it's possible it would have just taken a few seconds longer rather than prevented though. The safest are ofc the Jubilee line where the line is sealed off from the platform, but not really practical on the curved platforms.

tsr

Established Member
That platform does not have emergency plungers, as far as I know, which in any case would more than likely just prevent any trains from being signalled into the platform.

On another point of the discussion, I have pushed luggage trolleys frequently and repetitively as part of prior employment and can confirm that a lighter mechanism, which would probably be suited to a smaller vehicle such as a buggy, would feel like a rather different experience but would probably be easy enough to get used to for at least shorter journeys.

tripleseis

Media outlets saying it fell seconds before a train arrived but it looks like to me the train had just departed the station before the buggy got sucked onto the tracks (caused by the departing train). Of course there was probably another train only a minute or so behind so still nerve racking and dangerous. Glad no one was hurt (I guess they were probably tourists if the police can't trace them).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Media outlets saying it fell seconds before a train arrived but it looks like to me the train had just departed the station before the buggy got sucked onto the tracks (caused by the departing train).
The lady was still on the track shortly before the train arrived. If you look at the video on the BBC News website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28741287) you can see the headlights of the approaching train reflecting off the rails from 52 Sec, as the woman is still on the track.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
There are buttons marked 'emergency' and 'information' which connect to the Station Supervisor's office (or station control room where provided). Victoria & Central lines have emergency stop plungers that are signed for the public.

On lines other than the Victoria or Central, can trains even be stopped from the Station Supervisor's office (or station control room where provided)?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On lines other than the Victoria or Central, can trains even be stopped from the Station Supervisor's office (or station control room where provided)?
Jubilee lines have plungers in the control rooms too, and also many stations have plungers to discharge traction current in control rooms. I'm not sure if Goodge Street is such a station, but I wouldn't have thought so. In such circumstances the best thing to do is call the old man on the emergency number and he will contact the Train Operator by radio.

Lockwood

Nym

Established Member
Jubilee lines have plungers in the control rooms too, and also many stations have plungers to discharge traction current in control rooms. I'm not sure if Goodge Street is such a station, but I wouldn't have thought so. In such circumstances the best thing to do is call the old man on the emergency number and he will contact the Train Operator by radio.

Northern Line stations that are now fitted with TBTC Signalling (All of them now) will should have E-Stop plungers at spaced intervals down the platform signed for public use.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Northern Line stations that are now fitted with TBTC Signalling (All of them now) will should have E-Stop plungers at spaced intervals down the platform signed for public use.

They don't; and the Jubilee line has red buttons on the platforms but they are not available for use.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Something that couldn't have happened on the Jubilee line at London Bridge for instance due to the Platform Edge Doors. A feature which appeared on the Leningrad Metro back in 1961 - only took 40 years for the idea to start catching on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.