• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

chiltern loco hauled - again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Sorry I'm on me phone and thus search is never good.

Does the loco hauled chiltern service run on a saturday from london?
And back from brum on a sunday?
If so what time.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Saturday workings are as follows:
  • 0712 Kidderminster - Marylebone
  • 0910 Kidderminster - Marylebone
  • 1106 Marylebone - Moor Street
  • 1706 Marylebone - Snow Hill
Sundays:
  • 1013 Moor Street - Marylebone
  • 1833 Marylebone - Moor Street

This is, of course, subject to change for operational reasons...

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Am glad this question has come up as I have wanted to go on the loco services, but I did not think they operated on Saturdays, they must have increaed the services. At least I can go upto Brum on it & come back I guess on at DMU.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
There will be a fifth rake in service by May, so the number of loco hauled services will continue to increase.

Clip

Established Member
Sundays:

Cheers. The trip to brum is just fine coming back not so fine!

Chester025

Sundays:

The 1806 Marylebone - Snow Hill is also booked for a 67 on a Saturday.

W.Tregurtha

Just a query.
I've noticed that on the above post - I've seen this elsewhere too - people use the expression "my bad" which doesn't make any sense to me. It's obviously text/computer speak for something, but what?

Clip

Established Member
It is indeed an Americanism. We give them Piers Morgan and this is how they punish us in return :)

saracen43

Are all the working sets in current operation fitted with power doors, or is it on going process.

Chester025

Are all the working sets in current operation fitted with power doors, or is it on going process.

All of the 'Silver' sets have now got power doors. The blue and grey 'Banbury' set still has the 'traditional' doors.

cjp

I managed to get a trip in a Mainline loco hauled train last Saturday coming back from Bicester to Marylebone just before 1500.
I was really suprised when it turned up it was like travelling on real train!

The front power car had a cycle storage compartment and the guard unlocked it for me and secured the bike so we could get away on time and told me to just go in the first door. Such service :) & it meant I went through the Business Class section, (tables good lighting and real cups and saucers which would be 1st on any other service) walked passed the catering buffet and took my comfortable seat.
All the seats were wide arranged two by two, some with tables, all with power and free WiFi, good lighting and a pleasant grey colour scheme.

Mainline makes their Clubman trains seem really nasty in comparison.

Prices at the buffet were high and the hot chocolate at £2.20 was not very flavoursome but it was definately warming and I was not in need of , say, a Chilli con carne at £3.50.

Comfortable journey but slow behind the stopper in front:(

I must look again at their timetables:)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
While it's true that there is an engine in the part of the train you can store cycles in, it's not connected to the wheels and simply acts as a backup generator to supply the train with electricity. The "power car" is actually a DVT (driving van trailer) which is basically a carriage with a driving cab at one end. If the DVT is at the leading end of the train then you are actually being pushed along by the locomotive at the rear. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_Van_Trailer

saracen43

Does anyone know if the 12.55 moor st to marylebone is definately loco hauled today as it says so in the timetable, are these diagrams reliable or they sometimes swapped for units.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Does anyone know if the 12.55 moor st to marylebone is definately loco hauled today as it says so in the timetable, are these diagrams reliable or they sometimes swapped for units.
The published diagrams can reliably be expected to produce the correct loco hauled sets. Substitutions are very rare, in my experience.

I would say that substitutions are 'quite' rare rather than 'very' rare. Although most of my experience has been as a regular user of the Banbury commuter set which seemed to suffer quite a few problems with the (un-refurbished) coaches. The 1815 off Marylebone was substituted with a 168 a couple of weeks ago and the 168 then broke down so we all got turfed off at Wembley Central in the snow!

Does anyone know how the loco hauled sets compare with the 168s reliability wise? At one point last year they seemed to break down quite a lot, but it might just be that it's more noticeable when they do.

saracen43

I read in a previous post that the weekend sets are more likely to change to units than during the week, can anyone tell me if the 14.55 off Moor st is definately loco hauled, was hoping to take a trip on it today.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In regards to my last post i wanna correct an error, i meant the 13.55 not 14.55 off Moor st.

Clip

Established Member
It should be'im on the 1106 down service now which I believe forms that one
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
67012 is the loco.

12CSVT

Established Member
For the current 'Skip' timetable, "here's one I prepared earlier ..............."

Attachments

• chiltern skips.jpg
    chiltern skips.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 51

" I think it was Wembley STADIUM more likely. "

:oops: Oops! Brain clearly froze after waiting half an hour (longer than expected - Chiltern are usually pretty good at working round breakdowns). Serves me right for feeling cheated it was only a 168 in the first place.

Chester025

For the current 'Skip' timetable, "here's one I prepared earlier ..............."

Don't know why you've bothered to be honest as it seems to be beyond peoples capabilities to find them for themselves, this is what about the 9th thread on this since December? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.