• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cities in need of an extra station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCarlson

A reopened Yaxley with platforms on the slow lines only or slewing the existing trackwork to allow island platforms serving both slow and fast lines like St Neots, Biggleswade, Stevenage, Knebworth or Potters Bar etc...

I thought they were planning to re open Yaxley anyway. And to also build a large new housing estate close to it.

I could have that wrong.

I would have thought a parkway station in York to the south where the old ECML diverged would be a good idea as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The problem in putting the Preston Bus Station nearer to the Railway Station is that there is now no place to put it. It could have been built on the site of the old Butler Street Good Depot, and they could have used the old Fishergate Tunnel for access. TOTALLY AGREE
By the way Preston is also my home town, it didn't become a city until recently.

I know my daughters still say they are going " up town" on Fridays or Saturdays.

I just wish politicians of all parties would do a bit of strategic and forward thinking. Where are the visionaries?

LE Greys

Established Member
I thought they were planning to re open Yaxley anyway. And to also build a large new housing estate close to it.

I could have that wrong.

That rumour went round a few years ago. The idea was that an 'Eco Village' south of Peterborough would lead to either Holme or Yaxley reopening to take pressure off the main station. Conveniently, only FCC trains would stop there, so that would reduce crowding on EC. The link below might be useful.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/politics-news/work-begins-on-peterborough-eco-village-1-3734100

Nothing about a new station in this. Apologies for posting the story verbatim, it was a bit hard to snip the irrelavent bits out.

Work begins on Peterborough eco-village

Published on Saturday 14 April 2012 09:00

A MULTI-million pound project to deliver the UK its largest-ever “zero carbon” housing development has begun in Peterborough.

The first signs of the 295 home Carbon Challenge eco-village set for the city’s South Bank, next to London Road stadium, are now visible.

The development from housebuilder Morris Homes will be “zero carbon”, cutting energy emissions by 100 per cent compared to an equivalent-sized standard housing development.

The first homes at the site, dubbed “Vista”, are due to go on sale by autumn of this year and it is expected the show home will be complete in early summer.

Garry Goodwin, group planning and design director at Morris Homes, said: “Our aim with Vista is to build homes that make sustainable living easier and provide long-term cost-savings for homeowners.”

The initial work has concentrated on putting in infrastructure such as drainage and access roads, however, foundations for the first few houses are now being put in place.

The development forms part of the Government’s Carbon Challenge, which aims to respond to climate change by fast-tracking the creation of several “zero carbon” housing developments.

Head of economic development at Opportunity Peterborough Steve Bowyer said the scale and “green” credentials of the project reflected well on the city

He said: “The Carbon Challenge scheme is fantastic for Peterborough. Not only is it creating local jobs and housing, but as a leading example of large-scale highly sustainable housing, it reinforces the city’s aspiration to be the UK’s Environmental Capital.

“It’s telling that, despite the current economic climate and challenges, Peterborough is still attracting significant investment.

“Schemes like this and Network Rail’s £43m upgrade of Peterborough station, all signal confidence in our city and remind potential investors of our attractiveness.”

More on the Carbon Challenge

THE Carbon Challenge is run by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) on behalf of the Government’s Department for Communities and Local Government.

The HCA provided a grant of £7.8 million in 2010 to provide 120 affordable homes on Peterborough’s South Bank, enough for 475 people.

In all, 295 “zero carbon” homes will be built under the scheme.

In the UK, more than a quarter of all carbon emissions have been traced to residential properties.

PR1Berske

Established Member
The railway doesn't pass through Cottam. There is no room at the sports centre so my proposal for Westleigh parkway looks to have (finally) come to fruition. It would probably spark a level crossing for double decker city orbits

It does run through the Sports Arena, which is why/how they're going to call it Cottam.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Lancashire CC has published its long term transport plan (pdf file here - http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/documents/s17147/Appendix A.pdf)

On a railway related note, not only does it expressly outline plans for Cottam, it does so on these detailed terms:

1) To be called "Cottam Parkway", described as:

"£A new ‘Parkway’ rail station in the Cottam area, similar in concept to
Buckshaw Parkway, to serve the North West Preston strategic housing
location. The station will be accessed from the Preston Western Distributor
Road to provide rail-based Park and Ride opportunities to Preston/
Manchester/Liverpool and Blackpool."

2) "Preston Western Distributor Road" is "A new road linking the M55 near Bartle with the A583/A584 at Clifton, to
support delivery of the North West Preston strategic housing location and
improve access to the Strategic Road Network from the Enterprise Zone site
at Warton."

The timetable for Cottam is given as :

By 2020 - Planning Application
By 2022 - Start of Works
By 2023 - Project completed

As an additional point -

"Construction of a new ‘Parkway’ rail station in the Cottam area, similar in
concept to Buckshaw Parkway, to serve the North West Preston strategic
housing location, accessed from the Western Distributor Road to provide railbased Park and Ride opportunities to Preston/Manchester/Liverpool and
Blackpool. This may require closure of the existing Salwick station.
Dependent on construction of the Preston Western Distributor road.
Timetable:
• Planning Application: 2019/20
• Start of Works: 2021/22
• Completion: 2022/23
Funding:
Estimated cost £15m
Funding Sources
(note ~ all amounts are indicative):
CIL/S106 developer funding
£15m"

VTPreston_Tez

Lancashire CC has published its long term transport plan (pdf file here - http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/documents/s17147/Appendix A.pdf)

On a railway related note, not only does it expressly outline plans for Cottam, it does so on these detailed terms:

1) To be called "Cottam Parkway", described as:

"£A new ‘Parkway’ rail station in the Cottam area, similar in concept to
Buckshaw Parkway, to serve the North West Preston strategic housing
location. The station will be accessed from the Preston Western Distributor
Road to provide rail-based Park and Ride opportunities to Preston/
Manchester/Liverpool and Blackpool."

2) "Preston Western Distributor Road" is "A new road linking the M55 near Bartle with the A583/A584 at Clifton, to
support delivery of the North West Preston strategic housing location and
improve access to the Strategic Road Network from the Enterprise Zone site
at Warton."

The timetable for Cottam is given as :

By 2020 - Planning Application
By 2022 - Start of Works
By 2023 - Project completed

As an additional point -

"Construction of a new ‘Parkway’ rail station in the Cottam area, similar in
concept to Buckshaw Parkway, to serve the North West Preston strategic
housing location, accessed from the Western Distributor Road to provide railbased Park and Ride opportunities to Preston/Manchester/Liverpool and
Blackpool. This may require closure of the existing Salwick station.
Dependent on construction of the Preston Western Distributor road.
Timetable:
• Planning Application: 2019/20
• Start of Works: 2021/22
• Completion: 2022/23
Funding:
Estimated cost £15m
Funding Sources
(note ~ all amounts are indicative):
CIL/S106 developer funding
£15m"

You've got me. Can you draw on a map where the station is or do you not yet know?

2019 is too late. Westleigh Campus & Estate and the Sports Arena will be overcrowded and the Guild Wheel which it serves will be past its time. The orbital route will have no more capacity/service in a few years. It should be done a lot quicker. (And I live 400m away from both possible sites, I will have moved by then :p)

PR1Berske

Established Member
The plan is to build a new road - Preston Western Distributor - curving around Clifton, and build the Cottam Parkway station somewhere at/near/connected to this new road.

(And, incidentally, closing Salwick is an option they're keeping open)

If they do keep the name "Cottam Parkway", available codes include CTA, CPT, and CMP

Status
Not open for further replies.