• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Clap For Carers" is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting that the BBC1 lunchtime news was announcing tonight's proposed clap-a-long as if it were a fait accompli.
Looking at the TV schedule doesn’t look as if they’ve made space for it to be broadcast live yet this evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welly

^^^
My curtains, doors and windows are staying closed tonight as it's cold!

Typhoon

Established Member
Last year 'Clap For Carers' was because there wasn't enough PPE to go round (well, usable PPE, plenty of the duff stuff obtained from some minister's dodgy mates, allegedly).

This year 'Clap for Carers' (or 'Heroes') is because we haven't got enough vaccine for them to have the jab so they are going on to the ward/ into the theatre, unprotected.

We'll have Boris, his co-habitee and the dog standing outside of number 10 leading on the news. I prefer to say 'thank you' to heath service and other staff if I see them than something that merely reminds me what a disaster the last ten months have been. I'll go out and clap on the doorstep when Boris resigns!

UP13

A person I know who regularly broke all the lockdown rules during all three lockdowns (then bangs on about rule breakers on social media) is now demanding we clap at 8 on WhatsApp...

It is becoming a bit like a cult/religion. A bit like how it used to be people said 'support the troops' and you were jumped on if you appeared to not do so.

Many years ago I did a masters dissertation on propaganda and the phrase support the troops was created to take the sting out of people who were anti-war as it made the focus the soldiers and not the politicians. I wonder if the NHS is the new one, whereby we focus on the poor doctors and nurses and not the politicians and thus any criticism is an attack on our poor hard working NHS staff...

Class 33

Established Member
Looking at the TV schedule doesn’t look as if they’ve made space for it to be broadcast live yet this evening.

Nope still not on the BBC schedule, nor on ITV. Don't think they'll be bothering broadcasting this, this time.

Will see in a minute if there's much clapping round my way. I don't think there will be....

westv

Established Member
The local facebook page worthies have
Nope still not on the BBC schedule, nor on ITV. Don't think they'll be bothering broadcasting this, this time.

Will see in a minute if there's much clapping round my way. I don't think there will be....
Our schedule shows a "condescend for heroes" with the C4 news.

RailExplorer

Not 1 clap on my street, and nothing heard from the back of the house either. My road was 90% clapping back in April, and certainly had its fair share of dettol households. This is in the leafy suburbs of SW London.

Class 33

Established Member
Not any clapping or pots banging or whatever round my way whatsoever! What is it like round your way?

I think this resurrected Clap For Carers/Clap For Heroes has gone down like an absolute lead balloon! Probably a combination of not everyone knowing about it yet and even those who took part last year are feeling a sense of fatigue about everything Coronavirus and going back to clapping at the doorsteps at 8pm every Thursday again is just not atall appealing now!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some desultory clapping heard from an adjacent street. Sounded like a slow handclap. Set the local dogs off barking. :rolleyes:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There wasnt any clapping down my road thankfully.
Same here. The lady opposite went out for a dog walk just before 8 and stood on her doorstep for a few minutes but didn’t make a sound. Maybe she was just waiting for him to finish his business?

Had my own “boo” for the NHS management though when coming back from being a curtain twitcher.

westv

Established Member
No doubt the media will be full of specially selected clap scenes.

Big Tim

Not a single noise to be heard here at either the front or back of the house. It soon became a competition to see who could be the loudest back in "Lockdown One" in this area. I refrained from partaking after the first few weeks in any case, when a round of applause was replaced by "Acme Thunderer Whistles", Cookware beaten to within an inch of it's life, idiots blaring car horns and - I kid you not - some chap attempting on one week to play an accordian.

So, there was definitely enthusiasm here before, but clearly not nine months on.

Last edited:

Red Onion

Not a thing up my way. There was a house across the road from me that were almost cultist about it during the first one. Even they didn’t as much as open their curtains for a look, which given that they hosted the street party on Hogmanay then at least they haven’t been too hypocritical this time round.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Too busy making sure our key workers (rail) and NHS were properly fed after a day's work and prepared for the next day.

Appreciation made to the binmen , post men and so on personally over the last few days. More important in my opinion. Likewise always thank delivery personnel.

bramling

Veteran Member
Too busy making sure our key workers (rail) and NHS were properly fed after a day's work and prepared for the next day.

Appreciation made to the binmen , post men and so on personally over the last few days. More important in my opinion. Likewise always thank delivery personnel.

It isn’t just NHS staff who have kept the country going this year, and “rewarding” many staff with pay freezes or rumours regarding things like their pensions hasn’t exactly gone down well.

I’m certainly sensing there isn’t the keenness to step up to the plate this time round to keep things ticking over. People are fulfilling their obligations, no less but no more. A bit of verbal gratitude from Boris, or the relevant Secretaries of State, would go a long way. There’s also a lot of anxiety now about what the future will hold. On a personal level I can’t be the only one who has been waiting to see the dentist for ages for a filling and is in intermittent discomfort!

MDB1images

From what I saw in the summer from those who took part it was well received and certainly some of the people who lived on their own and the elderly seemed to enjoy it as it seemed to give them something to do/feel part of and a break from looking at 4 walls.

It seemed to evolve from the NHS appreciation to all workers and then to all who was struggling.
The fact the person who organised something that's a positive when everything is negative is quite sad.

Like I said in an earlier post, if it improves just one person's mood during lockdown then it's been a great thing and it cost zero to do it.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't have any issue if people want to participate, but I don't think pressuring others into it is remotely a good idea. Around where I live people don't even seem to know that it's back (though I imagine there's a fair share of just not wanting to bother with it, too...)

However, perhaps a bit less incompetence, bureaucracy and starvation of funding would do the NHS more good than encouraging the population to stand outside clapping for half a minute every week... just a thought...

SteveM70

Established Member
Nothing here, one house opened their front door but then nobody came out. Hopefully had a blinding moment of self awareness and thought better of it

UP13

Really, when was this? I feel like i live in a parallel world to some folks on here.

About 15 years ago it was a popular phrase, probably more so in the USA. When the Afghan/Iraqi wars were unpopular, people started being asked if they supported the troops rather than the war to get a more positive response as nobody would say they didn't support the troops. Right wing groups still use emotional arguments regarding troops and 'our brave boys' today.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Nothing here, one house opened their front door but then nobody came out. Hopefully had a blinding moment of self awareness and thought better of it
Or maybe just thought they heard someone knock or something.

Of course it's also possible that the absence of anyone else doing it changed their mind...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I just don't think people are in the mood. It's cold and we're looking down the barrel of goodness knows how much longer in lockdown. It had run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.