• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Thought id post this here as its mainly to do with 153s.

I have a query about how TFW are swapping 153s between Canton and Swansea/Carmarthen for the Heart of Wales services. Before Covid the morning and late evening swanline services were I think used to swap 153s I think. But of course now due to the reduced timetable most Swanline servies are incorporated into the Manchester timetable and the only other one comes from Holyhead and returns to Chester. All of these are booked 175s.

The only services I can see that are not booked 175 between Carmarthen and Cardiff are 0500, 0613, 1347 and 1850. In the other direction between Cardiff and Carmarthen the 0632, 1602, 1806 (to Swansea but thank may end up in Carmarthen?), 2108 and possible the 2315 (although ive seen a 175 recently). Are any of these used to swap 153s for HOW or are they swapped on the evening Cardiff-Shrewsbury/Crewe via the marches.

I have a query about how TFW are swapping 153s between Canton and Swansea/Carmarthen for the Heart of Wales services. Before Covid the morning and late evening swanline services were I think used to swap 153s I think. But of course now due to the reduced timetable most Swanline servies are incorporated into the Manchester timetable and the only other one comes from Holyhead and returns to Chester. All of these are booked 175s.

The only services I can see that are not booked 175 between Carmarthen and Cardiff are 0500, 0613, 1347 and 1850. In the other direction between Cardiff and Carmarthen the 0632, 1602, 1806 (to Swansea but thank may end up in Carmarthen?), 2108 and possible the 2315 (although ive seen a 175 recently). Are any of these used to swap 153s for HOW or are they swapped on the evening Cardiff-Shrewsbury/Crewe via the marches.

It's probably one Craigybagel could answer better but at one time the 153s or units off the Heart of Wales circuits also used to link in with other stuff that overnighted at Crewe and there were a few services via the Marches in early mornings and late evenings that sets could be attached to in order to allow swaps. Before 175s on the Marches it was easy with the numbers of 158s on that route. The 153s that work off Chester/the Coast on a limited number of services also presumably have to find something that isn't a 175 on the Marches to get to and from Canton. I've seen 150s using the same methods to get to or from South Wales. Sorry if I can't be any more specific as I don't have the most up to date knowledge.

The above service appears to one timed to allowed for these sprinter swaps. Whether its used in practice, you'd have to watch the allocations regularly.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
There are still the same trains that have been used for years to get Sprinters between the North and South - namely, 2155 Cardiff - Crewe and 2309 Shrewsbury - Cardiff. The former is currently booked for a 150+153 with the 153 coming off at Shrewsbury. I'm not sure what's actually booked for the latter but it's notorious for having all sorts turning up on it with formations wildly different from night to night.

In days gone by these were only normally used for rotating the 150s, with the 153s rotating via the HOWL, but with most of the former 150 turns outside of Cardiff being replaced with 153s, they're now a much more common sight on these services as well.

Anonymous10

Established Member

i believe theres a cardiff to Fishguard returning to carmarthen service usually a 3 car unit it's possible they use this to rota units on and off howl and Pembroke dock branch also think 2 services on howl either start or finish here

Caaardiff

According to the RTT website, both of my final 153s for haulage are coupled together today (320+935), however not where I would have preferred them to be i.e. around the Crewe area.

They were on the Fishguard Harbour workings today (28/12/21) and I cannot find any trace of their movements after the 19:05 Fishguard - Carmarthen (see https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C24964/2021-12-28/detailed). Initially, I thought they would return to Cardiff on the 2012, but that is a 175.

Will these be overnighting in Carmarthen, as I cannot find any further workings (assuming there has been no swaps mid diagram)?
They are currently working Chester - Liverpool services today so will likely be around Chester for a few days.

Jez

Established Member
Thank you for the replies.

I the Liverpool to Chester back to being booked for a pair 153s? Or are they just covering. I thought the only 153s booked for the North are the pair that due Crewe-Chester and possibly one for Conwy Valley.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thank you for the replies.

I the Liverpool to Chester back to being booked for a pair 153s? Or are they just covering. I thought the only 153s booked for the North are the pair that due Crewe-Chester and possibly one for Conwy Valley.
Liverpool - Chester and Conwy Valley are suspended from today owing to the emergency timetable.

The only other booked 153 work I'm aware of in the North you've not mentioned is the single unit on the Crewe - Shrewsbury local. They do tend to turn up all over the place at the moment however covering for other units - basically what the 150s used to do before most of them were required to stay on the Valleys. There are even 153s on one of the MKIV diagrams today.

The two units you're after are on Crewe - Chester shuttles all day today.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
They are currently working Chester - Liverpool services today so will likely be around Chester for a few days.

Liverpool - Chester and Conwy Valley are suspended from today owing to the emergency timetable.

The only other booked 153 work I'm aware of in the North you've not mentioned is the single unit on the Crewe - Shrewsbury local. They do tend to turn up all over the place at the moment however covering for other units - basically what the 150s used to do before most of them were required to stay on the Valleys. There are even 153s on one of the MKIV diagrams today.

The two units you're after are on Crewe - Chester shuttles all day today.

Many thanks both.

I've had a look at the RTT website, and it appears that the 153s are on Aberystwyth - Birmingham International (coupled to a 158 at Shrewsbury as they do not have the ERTMS equipment fitted), 11:06 International - Holyhead (the 158 uncoupling at Shrewsbury), and 15:38 Holyhead - International for today.

I will try to get them today.

Phil Scott

153364 has apparently been disposed of for scrap from Burton to Sims at Beeston. Wonder if 153366 will follow?

Pretty sure these could be the first production run sprinter vehicles to be scrapped. With the way these and other vehicles from those classes have found uses and evaded scrap many times in recent years I was half surprised nothing miraculously came up at the 11th hour to save them. Then again they can't live forever.

On Moderation
Pretty sure these could be the first production run sprinter vehicles to be scrapped. With the way these and other vehicles from those classes have found uses and evaded scrap many times in recent years I was half surprised nothing miraculously came up at the 11th hour to save them. Then again they can't live forever.
153302 went to Kingsbury for disposal a few months back. It was the first Sprinter vehicle to be disposed of as surplus.

LowLevel

Established Member
Such is life - they've had their time. The ex LM ones at Burton were bound for Wales until one of the units being transferred blew up south of Birmingham and wrecked the rake, they were returned to Burton in disgrace and they got some more ex EMR ones instead.

fgwrich

Established Member
Such is life - they've had their time. The ex LM ones at Burton were bound for Wales until one of the units being transferred blew up south of Birmingham and wrecked the rake, they were returned to Burton in disgrace and they got some more ex EMR ones instead.
Indeed, and somewhat ironically most are the ex Wales and West / Great Western 153s.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Wasn't 153364 the one with the damaged Cardon shaft. That eventually got moved to burton.
However has just been moved by road due to it being to far damaged to go by rail for scrap.

Mat17

Pretty sure these could be the first production run sprinter vehicles to be scrapped.
No they aren't. At least one, possibly two accident damaged class 150 vehicles were scrapped some years ago, one at Vic Berry I believe.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

153302 has already been shredded

No they aren't. At least one, possibly two accident damaged class 150 vehicles were scrapped some years ago, one at Vic Berry I believe.

Correct, 2 x 150/2s were involved in collisions early in life and each lost a vehicle, one at Seamer and one at St Helen’s. The remaining two vehicles formed a hybrid set.

On Moderation
Correct, 2 x 150/2s were involved in collisions early in life and each lost a vehicle, one at Seamer and one at St Helen’s. The remaining two vehicles formed a hybrid set.
There was also 52861 from 158861 that was written off in a collision at Hazel Grove and replaced by a spare bodyshell.

43102EMR

Established Member
I was looking forward to seeing the ex-LM livery with TfW branding… but as you said, such is life. Transferring the ex-EMR ones made sense as they were the ex-GWR examples which recently had repaints.

Neptune

Established Member
153302 has already been shredded

52212 from Seamer and 52209 from St Helen’s.

Pkh72

153366 was the unit taken out of Burton last night, 153364 is still in one piece in the yard for the time being.

RodS

153364 has apparently been disposed of for scrap from Burton to Sims at Beeston. Wonder if 153366 will follow?

An ex-LM 153 body is now at Sims McIntyre's. Bodyshell is complete except for doors and most windows. Numbers appear to have been cut out, so unable to confirm which vehicle!

An ex-LM 153 body is now at Sims McIntyre's. Bodyshell is complete except for doors and most windows. Numbers appear to have been cut out, so unable to confirm which vehicle!
According to WNXX it definitely is 153364. It was loaded at Burton on the transporter that delivered 47640 to Nemesis. 364 was the first 153 I have rode on. RIP

Pkh72

As stated above, it’s 153366 that has left Burton for scrap. 153364 is still in one piece at Burton.
It was also a different transporter to that which delivered the 47.

NoOnesFool

A quick question are the Long Marston Storage facilities the Porterbrook Innovation Centre or somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.