• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I forgot I'd started this thread! Funnily enough earlier this week I booked some VTEC advances for July to go get my last 314's.

I'm hoping the old SPT carmine and cream ones are still kicking about?

9 are still in the old SPT colours if I remember rightly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Christmas

318s have regular diagrammed work to Gourock and have done since December.
Not quite. The odd 318 and 320 have appeared on the Gourocks vice 314 but they are not diagrammed full time yet. Only 314s or 380s at the moment. Corkerhill drivers only received their 318 and 320 training from Feb this year, and; as they drive several Gourock and Wemyss Bay services, it was not possible to diagram 318s or 320s and run the risk of cancelling services owing to drivers not being competent.

Christmas

It was both for a while but 320s are not permitted to Gourock any more due to issues with DOO station dispatch.
What issues would they be? There certainly weren't any issues last week when a 320 again spent most of the day running back and forth to Gourock. No dispatch issues at any station.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Not quite. The odd 318 and 320 have appeared on the Gourocks vice 314 but they are not diagrammed full time yet. Only 314s or 380s at the moment. Corkerhill drivers only received their 318 and 320 training from Feb this year, and; as they drive several Gourock and Wemyss Bay services, it was not possible to diagram 318s or 320s and run the risk of cancelling services owing to drivers not being competent.
What about 334s? I’m sure they’ve worked there before haven’t they?

gingertom

Established Member
somebody on the forum, can't remember who, claims to have seen a 317 in Glasgow. If this is correct, I wonder if it will stay as 4-car or lose the trailer along the lines of 321>320 conversions? An addition to the 318 fleet maybe? And how have they managed to keep that quiet?

Southsider

somebody on the forum, can't remember who, claims to have seen a 317 in Glasgow. If this is correct, I wonder if it will stay as 4-car or lose the trailer along the lines of 321>320 conversions? An addition to the 318 fleet maybe? And how have they managed to keep that quiet?
I think that was a mistake, since corrected. The poster was referring to the arrival of 365517 but wrote 317.

D365

Veteran Member
As above. There’s no point at all in Class 317s seeing as the Class 365s are now “ready to go”.

route101

Established Member
What issues would they be? There certainly weren't any issues last week when a 320 again spent most of the day running back and forth to Gourock. No dispatch issues at any station.
There was a 318 a few days ago out to Gourock

The_Engineer

Is any society or likewise planning a Class 314 Farewell special? Maybe ScotRail themselves? It could do some stuff on the newly electrified lines and finish with a fast run from Carstairs or Lanark into Glasgow Central! Just a thought....

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is any society or likewise planning a Class 314 Farewell special? Maybe ScotRail themselves? It could do some stuff on the newly electrified lines and finish with a fast run from Carstairs or Lanark into Glasgow Central!

A nice thought! When the 303s were withdrawn I'm sure there was a farewell run; hopefully the same will be done with the 314s and hopefully someone preserves one unit.

At least we have some time until they are withdrawn to savour them yet! :lol:

Strathclyder

Established Member
A nice thought! When the 303s were withdrawn I'm sure there was a farewell run; hopefully the same will be done with the 314s and hopefully someone preserves one unit.

At least we have some time until they are withdrawn to savour them yet! :lol:

Aye, the last pair of 303s (303011/303088) undertook a limited-stop run from Bellgrove to Helensburgh Central on 30th December 2002, being withdrawn upon returning to Yoker Carriage Sidings:

One hopes that a similar farewell run will be undertaken for the 314s. While they may not have been the step-change the 303s were, they have served the Glasgow suburban network well with little fuss for nearly 40 years, so it'd only be right to give them a decent send-off. They've certainly earned it!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Aye, the last pair of 303s (303011/303088) undertook a limited-stop run from Bellgrove to Helensburgh Central on 30th December 2002, being withdrawn upon returning to Yoker Carriage Sidings:

One hopes that a similar farewell run will be undertaken for the 314s. While they may not have been the step-change the 303s were, they have served the Glasgow suburban network well with little fuss for nearly 40 years, so it'd only be right to give them a decent send-off. They've certainly earned it!

Definitely, they are very reliable and have done the job very well indeed, I think they have rightly earned at least one special send off run.

route101

Established Member
Is there any electrified lines in the Glasgow area that the 314s havent operated ? Whifflet?

prod_pep

Established Member
Not sure they've done all the North Clyde Line branches either, they were built for the Argyle Line originally.

In their early years, the 314s were in daily use on the North Clyde routes so I'm fairly sure they have done all branches as they were until their transfer away in 1999. I've seen photos of 314s on Airdrie - Balloch, Drumgelloch, Helensburgh Central and Milngavie duties. Not certain about Springburn admittedly but surely they must have been used there.

Obviously they haven't been used on the section to Edinburgh Waverley.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In their early years, the 314s were in daily use on the North Clyde routes so I'm fairly sure they have done all branches as they were until their transfer away in 1999. I've seen photos of 314s on Airdrie - Balloch, Drumgelloch, Helensburgh Central and Milngavie duties. Not certain about Springburn admittedly but surely they must have been used there.

Obviously they haven't been used on the section to Edinburgh Waverley.

Really I only recall the 314s since they were used on the Cathcart Circle after the 303s were withdrawn, but they probably have been used to Springburn etc.

Not sure they'll ever get to Waverley somehow.

youngac

A few 314s ended up out at Larkhall and Whifflet (via Carmyle) because of engineering works a few years ago.

alangla

They've definitely done Springburn, but I'm pretty sure none have been to Cumbernauld, either from Springburn or north of Coatbridge FLT. They will have been to Whifflet, just almost certainly not via Carmyle! They've been everywhere else in SPT-land including Larkhall on extended Cathcart/Newton jobs during engineering in the 2010s (possibly 2017?)

gsnedders

Established Member
What about 334s? I’m sure they’ve worked there before haven’t they?
Note that Airdrie to Bathgate doesn't have DOO screens on the platform, so they're reliant upon the unit's in-built cameras, as such the 334s are currently the only North Clyde stock that can operate it.

youngac

They will have been to Whifflet, just almost certainly not via Carmyle! They've been everywhere else in SPT-land including Larkhall on extended Cathcart/Newton jobs during engineering in the 2010s (possibly 2017?)

Here's a video of one leaving Bargeddie back in 2015. I believe this was during the same weekend they did Larkhall services via Burnside.

djpontrack

When I was a child, I lived in Fort William. I always tried to sit on the right hand side of the train to Glasgow so that I could spot some of the "new" class314's after we passed Craigendoran Junc. I copped a few of them on that line at the time.
As for a farewell tour I think that would be a great idea. A fast trip along the WCML to Carlisle would be fantastic but I'm not sure if they are permitted to go there.

gazr

Is any society or likewise planning a Class 314 Farewell special? Maybe ScotRail themselves? It could do some stuff on the newly electrified lines and finish with a fast run from Carstairs or Lanark into Glasgow Central! Just a thought....

Great idea and one I hope is already being talked about by those able to pull it off :) Q. Have the 314s ever run as a 9-car unit, or is this not possible? Maybe something to consider if interest it high enough?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Great idea and one I hope is already being talked about by those able to pull it off :) Q. Have the 314s ever run as a 9-car unit, or is this not possible? Maybe something to consider if interest it high enough?

I think the multiple working system allows four units (12-cars) but the platforns when they were introduced (and indeed on many of the routes they operate today) are usually on 6-cars long. In other words over two units together is only likely on ECS workings.

gingertom

Established Member
I think the multiple working system allows four units (12-cars) but the platforns when they were introduced (and indeed on many of the routes they operate today) are usually on 6-cars long. In other words over two units together is only likely on ECS workings.
I recall queue buster 9 car class 303s used on a cup final day to kings park.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I recall queue buster 9 car class 303s used on a cup final day to kings park.

Unless the platforms were longer then? Or perhaps a slight over length train wasn't as much of an issue.

Tbh I can barely remember the 303s in service, though I think I may have travelled on them.

scotraildriver

Established Member
They did occasional 9 cars but back then staff just shouted to passengers not to get out any door that wasn't in the platform. Nowadays people would just fall out the train looking at their smartphones. Then sue Scotrail.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They did occasional 9 cars but back then staff just shouted to passengers not to get out any door that wasn't in the platform.

I can well imagine that having been the case.

Nowadays people would just fall out the train looking at their smartphones. Then sue Scotrail.

Quite possibly! :lol:

But in all fairness, I don't think it's unreasonable to require doors which wouldn't open onto a platform to be locked using selective door opening or otherwise to only permit trains which can fully fitted in the platform to be allowed to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.