• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Class 385s now run most of the peak newton runs.

2M71 0624 Newton to Glasgow Central
2P07 0741 Newton to Glasgow Central
2P09 0820 Newton to Glasgow Central
Are now 385s. The top 2 use the same unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthClyde320

Mixture of 318/320/380

318s were covering two of the ex-314 daytime diagrams, not sure about the third. There was also a 380 on the Newton via Queens Park diagram that was previously done by a 318/320.

Class 385s now run most of the peak newton runs.

2M71 0624 Newton to Glasgow Central
2P07 0741 Newton to Glasgow Central
2P09 0820 Newton to Glasgow Central
Are now 385s. The top 2 use the same unit.

Thanks very much for the updates and info :)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It was weird passing through Central today and not seeing any 314’s in sight. Although I did go past Shields on the 0640 from Saltcoats and seen a rather shiny pair of 314s, maybe cleaning them up for the tour?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Putting this up just so that no-one misses it.

The workings for tomorrow's farewell runs (plus of course the associated empty stock workings to/from Shields TMD & in/out of Cumbernauld DRS siding) have appeared on Realtime Trains. Feels very real now, if it somehow didn't already. Was fully expecting the Ayr, Motherwell/Carstairs/Cumbernauld & Dumbarton/Helensburgh legs to all be split up into seperate workings tbh, but obviously not.

While not quite as big a staple as the 318s/320s were in my formative/early teenage years, they nevertheless played their part in molding me into the transport nut (no better word for it really lol) I am now. Central and indeed the Strathclyde network as a whole won't be the same without them. :(

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

More fool them but supprised that the museum of transport hasn't even taken a cab section of the 314 or even 303 though. Just a shame these are going to be scrapped.

Well as they didn't want a 303 "Blue Train", built in Linwood and almost unique to the Glasgow Area for much of their lives, I am not at all surprised that they have no interest in a generic BREL unit seen in various guises throughout the country.

D365

Veteran Member
Well as they didn't want a 303 "Blue Train", built in Linwood and almost unique to the Glasgow Area for much of their lives, I am not at all surprised that they have no interest in a generic BREL unit seen in various guises throughout the country.

Exactly my thoughts, I don't hold high hope for many of the PEP/Mk3-derived EMUs to be preserved.

I believe that 313201 is earmarked by the National Railway Museum, I wouldn't be surprised if no other 31x units are preserved.

L401CJF

Established Member
Exactly my thoughts, I don't hold high hope for many of the PEP/Mk3-derived EMUs to be preserved.

I believe that 313201 is earmarked by the National Railway Museum, I wouldn't be surprised if no other 31x units are preserved.

I was quite shocked none of the GN class 313s were saved rather than 201 given their more original condition, also given that 201 along with the other Southern ones have had their pantographs etc removed and quite a major rewire I believe, which makes main line operating quite limited. It was mentioned 201 is to remain mainline certified apparently but never sure what to believe!

roadierway77

Will be joining the farewell tour tomorrow at Cumbernauld, until the final goodbye at 7ish. Though I'm too young to remember these units in their infancy (or even when they were middle-aged), growing up as a regular traveller on the Inverclyde line has involved many a journey on a Class 314, and I've always been rather fond of them. It's also farewell to my favourite livery - I'll miss seeing that familiar carmine and cream and their aerodynamic (not) fronts at GLC.

This time tomorrow, they'll be gone for good. It's the last hurrah for the 314s.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Will be joining the farewell tour tomorrow at Cumbernauld, until the final goodbye at 7ish. Though I'm too young to remember these units in their infancy (or even when they were middle-aged), growing up as a regular traveller on the Inverclyde line has involved many a journey on a Class 314, and I've always been rather fond of them. It's also farewell to my favourite livery - I'll miss seeing that familiar carmine and cream and their aerodynamic (not) fronts at GLC.

This time tomorrow, they'll be gone for good. It's the last hurrah for the 314s.

I’m rather surprised their farewell tour didn’t include Inverclyde given they spent their latter years providing journeys to Wemyss Bay and Gourock.

Agreed it’ll be a sad day for sure. They’ve been good units so they’ll bow out gracefully.

Colby James

Also if you guys do hear a roumer or so about the final fate of a 314 okay if one is going to Preservation or somewhere in Scotland as it maybe not Bo’ness do let me know if not oh well at least it lasted longer though.

It would be too sad to see these PEP family members go and it be best to display these members rather then run them unless a society in Glasgow can be formed up they’re is very little hope because the line would be busy if the train was really running excursion trains.

I have also known Scottish Railway Preservation Society have failed few times but they never did on most occasions like the recent acquisition a Caledonian Sleeper car for their collection but if no room is at Bo’ness maybe is so the unit could be part of it but in another alternate location I doubt Sumerlee is getting one or Glasgow Museum of Transport will or Keith and Dufftown is but I think will have to see.

If you do hear a roumer or if not pm me or let me know thanks. :)

Ewan M

Also if you guys do hear a roumer or so about the final fate of a 314 okay if one is going to Preservation or somewhere in Scotland as it maybe not Bo’ness do let me know if not oh well at least it lasted longer though.

It would be too sad to see these PEP family members go and it be best to display these members rather then run them unless a society in Glasgow can be formed up they’re is very little hope because the line would be busy if the train was really running excursion trains.

I have also known Scottish Railway Preservation Society have failed few times but they never did on most occasions like the recent acquisition a Caledonian Sleeper car for their collection but if no room is at Bo’ness maybe is so the unit could be part of it but in another alternate location I doubt Sumerlee is getting one or Glasgow Museum of Transport will or Keith and Dufftown is but I think will have to see.

If you do hear a roumer or if not pm me or let me know thanks. :)

As previously mentioned in the thread, Bo’ness was offered a 314 but they rejected it

d9009alycidon

An ideal place to put one would be down at the old platform under Glasgow Central that is part of the tour, the guide has commented on an aspiration to have some rolling stock down there, however getting anything full size down there would be impossible

MadCommuter

The Glasgow museum of transport isn't even called that any more, its the Riverside Museum. And I much preferred the old museum as it had a depot feel to it, had a proper smell and a genuine interest in rolling stock and cars. But that's a moan for another thread.

The difficulty with preserving EMUs is their size. To do it properly you need a full unit, whereas a loco takes up far less space. And then there's the difficulty of running - I'm not aware of any preserved line that has the correct OLE.

Established Member
The Riverside Museum appears to have a limited understanding of the importance of illustrating Glasgow's transport heritage after the 1960s. There should at least be a cab end of a Blue Train and, now, a 314 in there.

It isn't just trains. I don't know much about buses, but the Alexander Y Type and Volvo Ailsa are both big Scottish players of the 70s and 80s and were everywhere in the city at the time.

Does anyone know why they're so weak on this era?

Idiots they has got to be somewhere else

Bit harsh to call them idiots! It's a recurring theme from "enthusiasts" on here shouting for xyz unit to be preserved by a heritage railway. Hertiage railways are almost entirely run by volunteers who give up their spare time to help preserve and run the lines. If more of those "enthusiasts" that constantly shout for units/locos etc to be preserved got involved then maybe, just maybe more heritage railways would be in a better position to preserve something that takes up so much space and is as useless as a 314!

As has been previously stated on here, Bo'ness has a complete class 303 unit that hardly moves due to the complexity involved in using it without OHLE and it certainly doesn't fit in with their style of railway operations, so a 314 definately wouldn't!

D365

Veteran Member
Objectively speaking, is there any significant reason to justify a 314 to be preserved?

d9009alycidon

The Riverside Museum appears to have a limited understanding of the importance of illustrating Glasgow's transport heritage after the 1960s. There should at least be a cab end of a Blue Train and, now, a 314 in there.

It isn't just trains. I don't know much about buses, but the Alexander Y Type and Volvo Ailsa are both big Scottish players of the 70s and 80s and were everywhere in the city at the time.

Thankfully the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust have the buses well covered http://www.gvvt.org/

InOban

Established Member
Objectively speaking, is there any significant reason to justify a 314 to be preserved?

Precisely. Any Emu is going to end up as a static exhibit at any heritage railway. So what's the point? At least an exCS sleeper can be used as accommodation for volunteers.

alangla

I guess they probably see the model 380 as their “modern train” exhibit. Personally, I’d probably sever a 314 at the front passenger door, wall mount it with a fake tunnel behind (make the lights work obviously) and have a video presentation on Clyderail/Argyle Line underneath, maybe with some sort of interactive touchscreen thing allowing you to trace the history of the suburban network from Beeching to the mid 2010s electrifications. Ideally you could decapitate a 303 and put it next to it but that probably won’t happen.

Now, thinking forward... when the 318/320 go, I’d suggest all are scrapped, unless somewhere in Ayrshire wants a 318. I don’t see them having any historic significance otherwise.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd argue no.
EMU preservation is awkward for heritage railways for obvious reasons. 314s specifically are a small class that operated in only one small part of the country, but there are multiple examples of basically the same design. All that realistically should be preserved is a single driving car of any one of the PEP-derived classes, stuffed and mounted in a museum.

Fleetwood Boy

So, just back from Ayr on the 314 farewell trip. Was interesting to feel so far off their usual beat - any evidence of 314s in Ayrshire in the past? Can't say I ever saw any regular runs, although a pair of 303s had a booked afternoon peak trip to Ardrossan for some years.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
So, just back from Ayr on the 314 farewell trip. Was interesting to feel so far off their usual beat - any evidence of 314s in Ayrshire in the past? Can't say I ever saw any regular runs, although a pair of 303s had a booked afternoon peak trip to Ardrossan for some years.

The 314s have been to Ayr a few times I’m positive of that. Here is just one example;
(not my video!)

I think when the weather used to be bad in the winter, the 334s struggled and therefore the 314s were used fairly regularly. I’ve heard rumours of them making it to Largs although I’ve never seen any photos or evidence to confirm this.

d9009alycidon

Had a trawl of the Scot-Rail forum and on 31/11/2010 a 314 worked the 18:45 Glasgow Central to Largs and a six car set made it to Ayr on the 2nd December

Status
Not open for further replies.