• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 323 Traction Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Noooo! I love the old sound, it's the music of my childhood! :shock: :lol:

Saying that though, the new noise is pretty crazy! Maybe it's just the video but it seems to be a lot louder then the old traction noise.

Jordy

Established Member
Works fine here. Not heard about this either, seems odd coming from a 323!

HSTChris

I'll be honest here... I was wondering if it was real or the video creator trying to be funny by putting a class 465 sound effect on a class 323 video? I feel bad for thinking that, but you do wonder when you've heard nowt about it.

the sniper

Established Member
I'll be honest here... I was wondering if it was real or the video creator trying to be funny by putting a class 465 sound effect on a class 323 video? I feel bad for thinking that, but you do wonder when you've heard nowt about it.

I wondering this too. The acceleration shown out of the window doesn't seem to match the large amount of noise being produced...

mumrar

Established Member
although the link didn't work for me, I can see what's being discussed. Having worked on these units (the LM ones only) for 11 years and travelled in to work on them for 13, I'd know if anything had changed audibly. If the video is an LM one, it has most definately been played with.

mumrar

Established Member
Well, I've asked the question of someone who works closely with them, and shall look out for it myself too. I've not taken notice lately of which unit I'm on as it's going over familiar territory.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's a fake. A driver I know drove it 2 days ago and said it sounds no different to normal. They're his pet units and he'd notice such a major change. The video was uploaded 5 days ago.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
323 unit will run to Wolverton as 5Z33 1005 Soho LMD to Wolverton Works on Tuesday 2nd March, worked dead by Colas Rail class 47.

Why will it be hauled by a 47? Can't Colas drive the 323 there like they were when they went to Wolverton last time for overhaul and re-paint.

Old Timer

Established Member
All I know is that the working is being operated by Colas, and I doubt they have any men with knowledge of Class 323s.

If it is going in for overhaul, then I suspect they may have stripped the pan off the unit. They may also have taken off the traction motors....I really don't know.

mumrar

Established Member
The last time they went to Wolverton was operated by Advenza, who'd just employed a driver straight from LM, so he drove them all. Unless he moved to Colas, they may not have knowledge. To illustrate how stupid these things can be, last time the unit ran empty from Soho to Wolverton, after having the seats removed, bagged up, and taken in a lorry........
to Wolverton! They then ran light back with the seats inside, absolute madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.