• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 future

Status
Not open for further replies.

glbotu

Surely if any additional electrification is to occur, they could be used there. There is still a rolling electrification plan around, right, it's just heavily delayed. Hell, they could get used to supplement Northern services when they realise that they still need more trains and would certainly be useful for going down faster mainlines where 75mph DMUs are currently used (did someone say Morpeth.....)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Surely if any additional electrification is to occur, they could be used there. There is still a rolling electrification plan around, right, it's just heavily delayed. Hell, they could get used to supplement Northern services when they realise that they still need more trains and would certainly be useful for going down faster mainlines where 75mph DMUs are currently used (did someone say Morpeth.....)

Plenty of uses closer to home:

317 replacement on WAML (numbers just right).
MML when Corby get electrified (only needs about 50%)

philjo

Established Member
Could also be used for the East-west Oxford-MK/Bedford services when that has been wired as that will be a 100mph route.

Plenty of uses closer to home:

317 replacement on WAML (numbers just right).
MML when Corby get electrified (only needs about 50%)

Quite agree on the 317s - as I said in one of the first replies on this thread. 40 365s and 13 321s from GN replacing the 46 GA 317s seems about right and reverses the loss of the 317/7s at the start of the current franchise.

Repeating myself, but notable that the 317s are not receiving PRM work as part of the current program of C6 exams for GN, AGA or LOROL.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If the 317s can be taken out of service for a bit, they could perhaps get a proper upgrade, if there's an intention to keep them running a bit longer.

physics34

Established Member
You fear for the future of the 317. They could be heading for the scrapyard with 313s and 315s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...would certainly be useful for going down faster mainlines where 75mph DMUs are currently used (did someone say Morpeth...)

Whenever someone says "Morpeth" the reply is usually "Metro Centre through running DMU required"...

bramling

Veteran Member
You fear for the future of the 317. They could be heading for the scrapyard with 313s and 315s.

Hope not. I find them nice comfortable trains, and generally slightly more comfortable than the later 319s or 321s. I would gladly keep them and not have the class 700s.

Not sure on reliability, however one slight downside is they struggle to accelerate beyond about 85 mph unless the gradient is favourable.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I think that you will find that even the class 442 coaches will be scrapped as has been pointed out to me before now, other than perhaps a class 33 or class 73, the coaches would not be able to work with any other locomotives without being adapted in some form, which I do not think that any leasing company will spend money on doing.

Just need to find a crackpot former TOC MD and an American group, and they'll be back as trains, planes or space ships.

465fan

They should all have the Shoes put on and go to Southeastern. There should be no question. It will mean the 377s can stay on Southern as a standard fleet AND the 319s don't need to appear.

D365

Veteran Member
All the equipment is common, at least from 465/0 or 465/1 to 365.

Is it? The 365 uses a GEC traction package, rather than the Hitachi/Brush package on the 465/0 and /1.

N228PF

Could you imagine if they were qualified to go down the Moorgate Tunnels. The smiley train coming out of a tunnel...

Class 466

Established Member
They should all have the Shoes put on and go to Southeastern. There should be no question. It will mean the 377s can stay on Southern as a standard fleet AND the 319s don't need to appear.

The 319s won't be appearing anyway... SE need more Mainline stock to get the unsuitable 465/9s back on metro work where they belong.

class387

Established Member
Apparently 700s can't serve Foxton or Shepreth, so could GN retain some of them for Cambridge stoppers?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Apparently 700s can't serve Foxton or Shepreth, so could GN retain some of them for Cambridge stoppers?

Who told you that? The 8-car 700s have been down to operate services stopping at Foxton and Shepreth for years, using SDO.

petersi

Who told you that? The 8-car 700s have been down to operate services stopping at Foxton and Shepreth for years, using SDO.

There are problems with SDO at those stations
If you are not to fowl the level cross it could mean passengers having to move 4 coaches to exit so extend time at station

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
For years? They haven't even entered service yet!

It has been planned for years.

Anyway, the latest 'RailEast' Newsletter confirms that Thameslink will indeed be serving the stations in question.

petersi

It has been planned for years.

Anyway, the latest 'RailEast' Newsletter confirms that Thameslink will indeed be serving the stations in question.

I agree it's been 'planned' but the implementation does not seam to been given much thought.

Are there any stations on busy commuter lines where only 50% of doors open.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
I agree it's been 'planned' but the implementation does not seam to been given much thought.

Are there any stations on busy commuter lines where only 50% of doors open.

Yes. A typical peak-time Horsham stopper can have SDO in use at stations such as (or all of) Littlehaven, Faygate, Ifield, Salfords, Earlswood, Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate. Of these, only Faygate and, at various times, Salfords could be considered quiet. At Ifield (and Faygate), you regularly have just the front 5 of 12 coaches open. At Littlehaven, anything over 8 coaches will probably obstruct Rusper Road LC on the Down.

Another route which has demonstrated this can work - without major delays usually occurring - on the GTR network is the Uckfield Line. Soon this will be almost irrelevant, but up until the middle of this summer you will still have had SDO at what will admittedly very shortly be a decreasing number of stations from Edenbridge Town to Buxted, including front 4 of 8 with no corridor connection between coaches 4 and 5 at Buxted, and SDO 5 at Edenbridge Town of all places. (The platform extensions will be finished very soon at most stations, but that's not the point here.)

Last edited:

petersi

Yes. A typical peak-time Horsham stopper can have SDO in use at stations such as (or all of) Littlehaven, Faygate, Ifield, Salfords, Earlswood, Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate. Of these, only Faygate and, at various times, Salfords could be considered quiet. At Ifield (and Faygate), you regularly have just the front 5 of 12 coaches open. At Littlehaven, anything over 8 coaches will probably obstruct Rusper Road LC on the Down.

Another route which has demonstrated this can work - without major delays usually occurring - on the GTR network is the Uckfield Line. Soon this will be almost irrelevant, but up until the middle of this summer you will still have SDO at an admittedly decreasing number of stations from Edenbridge Town to Buxted, including front 4 of 8 with no corridor connection between coaches 4 and 5 at Buxted, and SDO 5 at Edenbridge Town at all places.

Looks like I am being to negative

How does it affect time the train spends in station

tsr

Established Member
Looks like I am being to negative

How does it affect time the train spends in station

I don't think I've ever lost more than two or three minutes at worst simply due to passenger flow issues caused by SDO, with the caveat that this is without there being some coincidental door problem or passenger assistance requirement. Admittedly GTR's Southern routes have so much SDO that regular passengers are really familiar. Also, there's no hanging around; a few moments are taken to ensure that the last few stragglers are off the train, but forget being able to alight if you're still wandering down from coach 12 when everybody else is half way down the ramp or up the stairs. It'll be Horsham for you, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.