• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

alangla

It's the Glasgow Fair holiday this week, so there's a good chance that passenger numbers might be down. Presumably that's why the Rutherglen blockade is this fortnight as well. In saying that, I thought M8 traffic was possibly lighter near the start of the month, so maybe not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
All eight sets of stock are electric today, two pairs of 365s, three single 365s, two pairs of 380s and a single 380.
At Queen St today , 1200 was 7 car 380 , 1215 was 4 car 380 and 1230 was 8 car 365 which i got on . I went to the very front , trolley was parked outside first class but he never took it through the train.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I took the 1630 from Queen Street as far as Haymarket today. Plenty of seats although some comments from a couple of passengers about the lack of cycle space (they were using the large wheelchair area created at the last refresh).

The train performed spledildly - they are well suited to the route.

bramling

Veteran Member
I took the 1630 from Queen Street as far as Haymarket today. Plenty of seats although some comments from a couple of passengers about the lack of cycle space (they were using the large wheelchair area created at the last refresh).

The train performed spledildly - they are well suited to the route.

Agreed. The lovely thing about the 365 is that it offers a very spacious interior but at the same time a *lot* of seats for a given length of train. In that sense they may well prove more popular that the 385s if they mean people have more chance of a seat.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Agreed. The lovely thing about the 365 is that it offers a very spacious interior but at the same time a *lot* of seats for a given length of train. In that sense they may well prove more popular that the 385s if they mean people have more chance of a seat.

And so much better than the ironing board seats on the 156 I travelled on to East Kilbride.

I only saw it at the last minute so can't be sure but I passed a Scotrail HST in a depot not far out of Queen Street (not 100% up on Scottish depots so not sure which one it was). It looked as though it had ironing board seats fitted!!!

Highlandspring

Established Member
There are no refubished HST sets in Scotland yet. You’ll have seen one of the training sets stabled at Eastfield.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are no refubished HST sets in Scotland yet. You’ll have seen one of the training sets stabled at Eastfield.

Maybe they were Grammer seats then? They certainly looked like ironing boards but I only saw them very briefly. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

kje7812

I sampled the 365s on Saturday coming back from Glasgow to Edinburgh. For a 20 year old train, they are quite good. I sure if the E&G had been electrified in the 90s, they would have gone down a treat.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I sampled the 365s on Saturday coming back from Glasgow to Edinburgh. For a 20 year old train, they are quite good. I sure if the E&G had been electrified in the 90s, they would have gone down a treat.

It’s good that the 365s have gone down well in Scotland. Suspect they’ll be missed when they get withdrawn.

gingertom

Established Member
Per further up in the thread (and no, I don't blame you for not reading all of it!) they're on a one year lease.
Alex Hynes tweeted earlier today the 365s will be used initially on Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa services once those wires go live later this year, until there's enough 385s to take over.

Southsider

Alex Hynes tweeted earlier today the 365s will be used initially on Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa services once those wires go live later this year, until there's enough 385s to take over.
I thought some if not most of the platforms towards Dunblane and Alloa could take 6x23m trains such as 2x3 car 385s maximum. Using 4 car 365s will limit capacity somewhat.

Stopper

I thought some if not most of the platforms towards Dunblane and Alloa could take 6x23m trains such as 2x3 car 385s maximum. Using 4 car 365s will limit capacity somewhat.

Once Linlithgow and Polmont are removed from Dunblane services, 4 car 365 and 385s would suffice. Outside Stirling, those trains are mainly Linlithgow and Polmont passengers.

InOban

Established Member
But quite a few QS to Alloa trains will be 6 coaches. That's why the platforms at B'riggs and lenzie were lengthened.

causton

Established Member
Maybe they were Grammer seats then? They certainly looked like ironing boards but I only saw them very briefly. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

The seats on (ex-)GWR HSTs are very tall and could be possibly mistaken for the tall ironing board seats at a flash - so maybe it was those? Just a wild guess.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Still better capacity than a single 158 or 170, which would likely be the result (thanks to stock moves) if the services weren't run using 365s

Southsider

Still better capacity than a single 158 or 170, which would likely be the result (thanks to stock moves) if the services weren't run using 365s
I don't disagree with that. It would seem more sensible to me to leave the 365s on Edinburgh to Glasgow in 8 car form making maximum use of their capacity and deploy emerging 385s alongside them to let the 380s return west. Thereafter put 385s on North Berwick, SDA and Shotts and finally, as enough become available, displace the 365s. This offers minimum disruption to the flagship service and allows release of diesels as early as possible. There is also the less pressing need to release the 314s to be woven into the deployment plan.

Established Member
I don't disagree with that. It would seem more sensible to me to leave the 365s on Edinburgh to Glasgow in 8 car form making maximum use of their capacity and deploy emerging 385s alongside them to let the 380s return west. Thereafter put 385s on North Berwick, SDA and Shotts and finally, as enough become available, displace the 365s. This offers minimum disruption to the flagship service and allows release of diesels as early as possible. There is also the less pressing need to release the 314s to be woven into the deployment plan.

But on the other hand Glasqow Edinburgh is a flagship route and they probably want to get the newest and allegedly best EMU's on that service ASAP.

gsnedders

Established Member
But on the other hand Glasqow Edinburgh is a flagship route and they probably want to get the newest and allegedly best EMU's on that service ASAP.
And they may well already be paying penalties to the Scottish Government for their late introduction.

kilonewton

The 365s can’t run to Stirling Dunblane Alloa until December. Will there be enough 385s for Edinburgh Glasgow by then? We’re talking 9 of each of the 3 / 4 car sets (allowing for a spare) to run the flagship route.

sqrtc

The 365s can’t run to Stirling Dunblane Alloa until December. Will there be enough 385s for Edinburgh Glasgow by then? We’re talking 9 of each of the 3 / 4 car sets (allowing for a spare) to run the flagship route.

The next 385 isn't due to stats running until September and then one introduced "each week following" so if that timetable is accurate then I can't see why not.

geoffk

Established Member
Once Linlithgow and Polmont are removed from Dunblane services, 4 car 365 and 385s would suffice. Outside Stirling, those trains are mainly Linlithgow and Polmont passengers.
Doesn't anyone want to travel from Linlithgow and Polmont to Stirling? I had an hour at Linlithgow on Monday and most E&G trains were electric, apart from one which was a pair of 170s. Seems I missed the 185s by a day, although probably only one pair working at the moment.

Chrism20

Established Member
Doesn't anyone want to travel from Linlithgow and Polmont to Stirling? I had an hour at Linlithgow on Monday and most E&G trains were electric, apart from one which was a pair of 170s. Seems I missed the 185s by a day, although probably only one pair working at the moment.

There should be a fairly short connection time at Grahamston for Stirling.

The new Edinburgh to Glasgow via Cumbernauld will pick up the Polmont and Linlithgow calls. By the time it has stopped at Edinburgh Park, Linlithgow and Polmont the fast service to Stirling won’t be far behind it.

superkev

Established Member
The next 385 isn't due to stats running until September and then one introduced "each week following" so if that timetable is accurate then I can't see why not.
September!!! Why does everything on the railway take months or even years. Jet2's new Boeing's are delivered on a Monday without seats. Seats and other prep done and thrre often out earning money on the Friday.
K

James James

September!!! Why does everything on the railway take months or even years. Jet2's new Boeing's are delivered on a Monday without seats. Seats and other prep done and thrre often out earning money on the Friday.
K
Jet2's new Boeing is actually a 40 year old design, that's been certified long ago, being fitted with seats also certified at least a few years back. It has controls identical to planes built in the last 10 years, with huge similarities to those built 40 years ago - the physics of the plane are identical to those built 40 years ago. In other words: the hard work is already done when that plane arrives on a Monday, and the pilots already know how to operate it.

Southsider

K
I think they have to cover a number (2,000 sticks in my mind) fault-free miles before they are accepted by Scotrail. With all the test runs that have been going on, there must be a few close to that unless faults have been recorded.

Stopper

It’s a bit of shambles really. A lot of people in Linlithgow have been complaining about it.

youngac

Most media outlets other than the Scotsman have said that another 2x 385s would be accepted by ScotRail this week followed by 2 more every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.