• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377/5 Southeastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Southeastern were always getting all the 377/5s. no idea where '16' came from.

It's just an interpretation of earlier posts in which the serious problems with stabling & depot capacity kept coming up. Here and elsewhere, first they were getting eight, then a couple more, then another few, then a few days ago you said that "16 of 23" were now with Southeastern.

I am aware that the TSGN spec originally referred to 100 vehicles, (25 units) transferred to SE though. Just seems that so many obstacles have been put up especially regarding depots and stabling costs that now it comes as something of a surprise to hear of a total of 25 units again.

Final question though, wasn't it also an assumption that they'd subsequently be traded in for other 377/x variants that were not dual voltage fitted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 466

Established Member
I meant 16 of 23 as in the units that had actually transferred so far. Obviously that’s now 16 of 25.

The issue with stabling has been resolved through better stock working/utilisation.

That may well happen in the next Franchise, however in the short term 377501-523 & 163/164 will be subleased to Southeastern

Mikey C

Established Member
This whole transfer has been curiously secretive, you'd have thought Southeastern or some MP would have put out a statement announcing these extra trains for their customers, as for SE customers this is genuinely good news, and "genuinely additional units" as opposed to just spin.

Sunset route

Established Member
This whole transfer has been curiously secretive, you'd have thought Southeastern or some MP would have put out a statement announcing these extra trains for their customers, as for SE customers this is genuinely good news, and "genuinely additional units" as opposed to just spin.

Maybe it's only short term and nobody is going to shout from the rooftops until something becomes more permanent (pure speculation on my part).

Class 466

Established Member

I understand there will be one very soon.

Heard from one of my buddies that the 377/5 fleet is getting some software mods to allow them to be used in multiple working with the 375s.

If this is true, it would make sense now they're in the process of getting all 23. If they can safely "intermingle" with the rest of Southeastern's 375s, it quite possibly mitigates the stabling issue that has prevented them from taking them on until now.

I would expect they're waiting for everything to be in place before they start making premature announcements about "extra trains" to then have to renege on the announcement later due to something unforeseen.

Given how much the population of Kent like to complain, you don't want to be giving them any extra ammunition now, do you? :P

Class 466

Established Member
Heard from one of my buddies that the 377/5 fleet is getting some software mods to allow them to be used in multiple working with the 375s.

If this is true, it would make sense now they're in the process of getting all 23. If they can safely "intermingle" with the rest of Southeastern's 375s, it quite possibly mitigates the stabling issue that has prevented them from taking them on until now.

I would expect they're waiting for everything to be in place before they start making premature announcements about "extra trains" to then have to renege on the announcement later due to something unforeseen.

Given how much the population of Kent like to complain, you don't want to be giving them any extra ammunition now, do you? :P

They won’t be fully compatible with 375s and will work set “GT1xx” diagrams. Even if they were fully compatible, they couldn’t be mixed with 375s as they need to cycle via Selhurst.

As previously posted, diagrams GT108-111 should come into use from Monday.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The issue with stabling has been resolved through better stock working/utilisation.

That's quite remarkable - given the apparently negative analysis (maybe in the Gibb report?) that appeared to have put the mockers on the whole thing.

Be interesting to hear about some of the operational tactics used to overcome the space problem - presumably leaving maintenance at Selhurst is a significant factor for now.

If those supposed depot and stabling £X millions (as mentioned in the last few months) are not now required - and that's mainly due to better workings/utilisation, then no doubt DfT will be making a note of that for when the next proposal asks for more depot space...

Last edited:

ScotGG

Established Member
That's quite remarkable - given the apparently negative analysis (maybe in the Gibb report?) that appeared to have put the mockers on the whole thing.

Be interesting to hear about some of the operational tactics used to overcome the space problem - presumably leaving maintenance at Selhurst is a significant factor for now.

If those supposed depot and stabling £X millions (as mentioned in the last few months) are not now required - and that's mainly due to better workings/utilisation, then no doubt DfT will be making a note of that for when the next proposal asks for more depot space...

The Gibb report was very favourable. It was the DfT and Ministers who kept saying it was expensive.

Class455

Established Member
Currently onboard 377 163 on a Caterham to London Victoria service. When is this due for Southeastern?

Class 466

Established Member
377521 has entered service with Southeastern today working the following with 377507

2K91 0737 Sole Street - Blackfriars
5M91 08+50 Blackfriars - Bromley South
1B90 0932 Bromley South - Victoria
5B90 Victoria - Bellingham Sidings
5B93 16+45 Bellingham Sidings - Blackfriars
1F93 1747 Blackfriars - Ashford International
5F93 19+37 Ashford International - Down Sidings
5A70 20+27 Down Sidings - Ashford International
2A70 2102 Ashford International - Victoria
5A70 22+59 Victoria - Victoria Grosvenor Shed

physics34

Established Member
Are they going to get a refurbishment they could sure do with one!

I assume 163 and 164 will get repaints rather than complete all over vinyls and maybe a refurb as they maybe long term southeastern residents whereaa the 377/5s may not be

samuelmorris

Established Member
163 and 164 also predate the /5s by several years, not sure how much difference that has made in terms of the condition of their interior. I don't remember any 377s looking especially dog-eared on the inside, but then the 375s didn't seem that bad to me either, certainly not compared to some of the other stock people have to put up with.

Cletus

Established Member
List of services with longer trains.
https://twitter.com/Se_Railway/status/909824725802799104

DKBYwaiXcAEJRMj.jpg

Class455

Established Member
Glad I snapped both 163 and 164 on the Caterham line last week.

387star

On Moderation
163 and 164 also predate the /5s by several years, not sure how much difference that has made in terms of the condition of their interior. I don't remember any 377s looking especially dog-eared on the inside, but then the 375s didn't seem that bad to me either, certainly not compared to some of the other stock people have to put up with.

the whole southern 377 fleet was refurbished in the last five years... carpets seat covers replaced new interior panels and resprayed seats and fittings

the /5s received this treatment only this year although a few did not have their seat covers replaced

163/164 have the same interior as the /5 minus the improved first class accomodation

Last edited:

MML

I'm amazed a transport company can make such a fundamental error in their announcement:

How can 21.27 and 23.26 be described as pm. Surely if they are pm it would be 9.27pm and 11.26pm. I much prefer the 24h clock on the railway. :roll:

Better still the announcement that the 19.06 Crayford to Cannon Street service is running in the am :lol:

Hophead

Established Member
The Sidcup line has transposed its a.m & p.m. I daresay that a Twitterer has already pointed this out.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
the whole southern 377 fleet was refurbished in the last five years... carpets seat covers replaced new interior panels and resprayed seats and fittings

the /5s received this treatment only this year although a few did not have their seat covers replaced

163/164 have the same interior as the /5 minus the improved first class accomodation
They don't seem to have done well the seat cushions are already in very poor condition I don't know how Southern get away with it considering how poor their services are.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any more changes this week? Or still just 4 377s in service?

Last week's pdf of changes (above) has now been updated to include more services. Now 69 in total, was 41.

Probably best to follow the link: https://www.southeasternrailway.co....hanced-service-additional-carriages.pdf?la=en

...rather than attach a copy of the pdf that will probably go out of date after a week.

Last week's original version (above) is still linked from the original press release though, so that'll cause confusion...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.