• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387 to GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersi

The Twitter feed claimed that the 387's would initially only be on Cambridge branch with Peterborough at the end of the month
My guess the first services will be 12 car peak extras to Cambridge or Royston (this is a guess)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I don't know what it normally is, just what I've been tipped off that it might be from next week (2C39).

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
The Twitter feed claimed that the 387's would initially only be on Cambridge branch with Peterborough at the end of the month
My guess the first services will be 12 car peak extras to Cambridge or Royston (this is a guess)

That must be how the will do it. Peak workings to Cambridge. In the day Cambridge/ Peterborough slows interwork.

Not sure in the evening peak which services start with Hornsey stock (as in from depot that evening) but most are 317 formed.

See what they show up in the morning on.

Class377/5

Established Member
It's a single 387 that does something like Letchworth, KX, Cambridge, Hornsey berth, Cambridge, KX then depot

No 12 cars this month. Nor Peterborough runs.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Won't be long before they will be on nearly every peak train to WGC and Hatfield. Then by May when we begin to like them off again as we get the 365s back and they head to kings Lynn.

luap

From some information I saw the other day it looks like it will be working the following:
2R00
1R41
2C04
2C39
2C26
2C59

jon0844

Veteran Member
This is what I have:

1R41 - 0613 Letchworth to London King's Cross
2C04 - 0705 London King's Cross to Cambridge
2C39 - 0855 Cambridge to London King's Cross
2C26 - 1653 London King's Cross to Cambridge
2C59 - 1855 Cambridge to London King's Cross

Edit: 2R00 is a staff train, so probably explains why I didn't have it. 0414 KGX to LET, and I guess something for anyone who wants to photograph/video it.

Personally, I'm waiting for 2C39 to actually travel on it. Not sure why I'm so interested given I'll have likely been on it many times before on TL!

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
The 1653 could be a bit cosy as a single unit considering there are fewer seats than a 321 - it is often a 4 coach 321 (or 317) and I often have to stand when boarding northbound at WGC (17:20 departure) after a lot of passengers have got off.

bramling

Veteran Member
This is what I have:

1R41 - 0613 Letchworth to London King's Cross
2C04 - 0705 London King's Cross to Cambridge
2C39 - 0855 Cambridge to London King's Cross
2C26 - 1653 London King's Cross to Cambridge
2C59 - 1855 Cambridge to London King's Cross

Edit: 2R00 is a staff train, so probably explains why I didn't have it. 0414 KGX to LET, and I guess something for anyone who wants to photograph/video it.

Personally, I'm waiting for 2C39 to actually travel on it. Not sure why I'm so interested given I'll have likely been on it many times before on TL!

The 0613 Letchworth to KX has pretty terrible reliability record. I've never travelled on it, but I sometimes arrive at the station going the other way at the time it should be running -- I'd say it gets cancelled around 50% of the time.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The 1653 could be a bit cosy as a single unit considering there are fewer seats than a 321 - it is often a 4 coach 321 (or 317) and I often have to stand when boarding northbound at WGC (17:20 departure) after a lot of passengers have got off.

Always 4 coach. But i have noticed you need to stand when it is a 365 but can get a seat if either of the other 2 types turn up.

At least it will have air-con if it is cosy.

Never travelled beyond WGC on it - but suspect everyone will get a seat then. I would expect Welwyn North, Stevenage and Hitchin passengers to use the 1650.

May avoid that service for a while until the novilty wears off.

philjo

Established Member
true - a lot of the passengers in the rear coach tends to get off as Welwyn North as that is next to the exit so generally have a seat by then.
When it is a 321 it doesn't help that a large part of the rear coach is 1st class (& often unused).
I board that train at WGC as I am travelling from Potters Bar. if the bus to Potters Bar is late I miss the direct 16:48 train so have to get the WGC stopper & change onto the 17:20.

There are a lot of passengers working in Potters Bar, Hatfield & WGC who board that Train at Hatfield or WGC.

Last edited:

ungreat

According to my diagram for Saturday I'm booked a 387 tomorrow.Quick check with Planning its a 321.Sign 387s so if one DOES show it'll run!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Stop boards for the 387s have appeared at Stevenage. Why they've been mounted on the opposite side of the line to all the other stop boards I don't know. Can't see any for the fast lines.

I know the 700s need their own stop boards due to the wheelchair areas but Is there a reason why they need their own stop boards? Why can't they use the generic NSE style ones that apply to the 365/317/321's etc.

Seems like unnecessary clutter to me.

westcoaster

Established Member
Stop boards for the 387s have appeared at Stevenage. Why they've been mounted on the opposite side of the line to all the other stop boards I don't know. Can't see any for the fast lines.

I know the 700s need their own stop boards due to the wheelchair areas but Is there a reason why they need their own stop boards? Why can't they use the generic NSE style ones that apply to the 365/317/321's etc.

Seems like unnecessary clutter to me.

We have a lot of stop boards on the off side due to the gangway being in the way, you loose 3 or so metres of vision. That can mean you being on or off the platform. You line up the stop board in the small cab window.

jon0844

Veteran Member
When these are in 8 or 12 car formations will the doors always be opened inside? I assume so, but have been used to 317s not being opened (although sometimes it's passengers closing the internal doors).

hedpe

First class has been rearranged. It has swapped sections with standard class on the driving coach. This means that the first set of doors behind the cab will bring you into standard class.

class387

Established Member
Does anyone know the diagrams on which the GN 387s will enter service tomorrow?

class387

Established Member
Look back a couple of pages on this thread.

Can't find an exact answer, only guesses (which admittedly looks correct).

Would be helpful if they could be posted as a confirmed answer in something other than just headcodes though.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Can't find an exact answer, only guesses (which admittedly looks correct).

Would be helpful if they could be posted as a confirmed answer in something other than just headcodes though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

We are only up to page 14 aren't we?

Post 190

Failed Unit

Established Member
For interest. Why the slow start of only one diagram considering the number of units they have?

They know they are reliable as they have worked on Thameslink

Is it still not enough drivers passed on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.