• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
As I understand it, the units that will transfer from southern to south eastern are most likely going to be the /1s as southern don't want to lose any dual voltage units

It's not up to Southern, but the DfT who decided no dual voltage units to Southeastern. Reasoning is simple, Southeastern require DC only units and the Southern's current WLL requires more dual voltage stock to increase length/frequency in the next few years while the 387 are being take away completely.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
First pictures of the Class 387 build

http://railpicturelibrary.zenfolio.com/p793657826

http://railannouncement.zenfolio.com/blog/2014/5/1000th-southern-vehicle-constructed-by-bombardier

Yesterday (May 7) Bombardier had a short ceremony to mark the 1000th Southern vehicle to roll off the Derby production line.

The vehicle forms part of unit 377707 and after the photographs had been taken Rail Announcement went on a tour of the class 387 production line. Ordered by Southern to facilitate the Thameslink cascade , the class 387s will initially allow class 319s to be cascaded and will themselves be cascaded when the class 700s enter service on the Thameslink route.

Bombardier says that the first unit should be on test in early June, with the final set leaving Derby in July next year.

A full illustrated report on both items will be in the next issue of Rail Announcement.

www.railannouncement.com

Last edited:

Skimble19

Established Member
Very nice, thanks for the pics.. Why on earth are units still being put into Southern livery though? They won't (as far as I can tell) ever even work with Southern..

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
The doors are Southern dark green :o ... Probably just cover over them with FCC vinyls...

Class377/5

Established Member
Very nice, thanks for the pics.. Why on earth are units still being put into Southern livery though? They won't (as far as I can tell) ever even work with Southern..

They have been ordered by Govia for use on Thameslink with Southern doing all fleet commissioning over the next year, hence the more Southern livery. They aren't going in full Southern livery but talk is of green stripes.

Yabbadabba

I note that GOVIA is going to reintroduce the Thameslink Brand while still keeping the Gatwick Express and Southern Brands. But this doesn't really explain why the new 387s look like the are being introduced in Southern livery when they are going to run on Thameslink before moving elsewhere. Unless everything is going to use the Southern livery but with different service type branding? I also note that 442s are going to be replaced by a new fleet of trains, could they be 387s although the numbers of coaches don't quite add up between the ordered 387s and the new GatEx fleet size.

http://www.govia.info/news/2014-news/govia-awarded-tsgn-franchise/

I note that GOVIA is going to reintroduce the Thameslink Brand while still keeping the Gatwick Express and Southern Brands. But this doesn't really explain why the new 387s look like the are being introduced in Southern livery when they are going to run on Thameslink before moving elsewhere. Unless everything is going to use the Southern livery but with different service type branding? I also note that 442s are going to be replaced by a new fleet of trains, could they be 387s although the numbers of coaches don't quite add up between the ordered 387s and the new GatEx fleet size.

27x 4-car sets from the 35 additional 'optional' sets to the batch of 29 387s currently being built, apparently.

Class377/5

Established Member

Because the 387 are staying on Govia so they are getting to have their livery on future routes

27x 4-car sets from the 35 additional 'optional' sets to the batch of 29 387s currently being built, apparently.

Thats the plan with all in service by December 2015. However note that the first 29 units now being built are supposed to all be delivered by July 2015 giving five months to delovery another 27 units........

Established Member
Perhaps there is some room to step up production, when the 378 trailers are finished?

Last edited:

Because the 387 are staying on Govia so they are getting to have their livery on future routes

Thats the plan with all in service by December 2015. However note that the first 29 units now being built are supposed to all be delivered by July 2015 giving five months to delovery another 27 units........

Indeed, looks unlikely. Where does this leave the plans for the first 29 387s? I'd assumed, possibly wrongly, that 29 would not be enough for eithe TPE or GW and that the second additional batch would be taken up to augment either of these fleets, possible shared with EMT. Would 29 plus a possible 8 extra from a second batch (the 8 being the balance of the 35 optional batch which was announced) be enough?

Aictos

Established Member
As 387s are being used by Govia when they first arrive, will they be using the 110mph capability out of the box or will they be restricted to 100mph?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As 387s are being used by Govia when they first arrive, will they be using the 110mph capability out of the box or will they be restricted to 100mph?

There's nowhere south of St Pancras they can use full speed, and as they'll be operating with either existing Thameslink stock or 700s as they come into service it would be highly unlikely they'd ever be timetabled to use it.

Class377/5

Established Member
Indeed, looks unlikely. Where does this leave the plans for the first 29 387s? I'd assumed, possibly wrongly, that 29 would not be enough for eithe TPE or GW and that the second additional batch would be taken up to augment either of these fleets, possible shared with EMT. Would 29 plus a possible 8 extra from a second batch (the 8 being the balance of the 35 optional batch which was announced) be enough?

Been mentioned that TPE is expected to get 387 by Tony Miles (Modern Railways). The future is difficult to predict and I don't know if I'm honest.

So this is confirmed then? Are they being used to supplement southern routes? Seems sort of a waste of the 110mph dual-voltage capability...

Not confirmed publicly. The GatEx units don't have to be 110mph stock, its just the body shell is capable. And nothing to suggest the GatEx will be DV either.

The units will be 110mph capable but remember that line speed is dicates the max speed. For example there very little 100mph running on Brighton line but doesn't mean the units are rated lower than 100mph.

Last edited:

Established Member

Where's that idea come from, what I have seen of recent Bombardier Electrostar/Turbostar construction they are assembled pre coloured including the cabs so if they were going to be in southern livery the cabs would be green not white. It looks to me as though they will be in the white Intrim Thameslink colour scheme that the 700's have been shown in except the doors are a bit darker.

As for where the first batch of 387's will end up this still seems unclear, although as aircon stock has been mentioned for Kings Lynn perhaps they will end up being split between the Kings Lynn route and MML Corby route.

Class377/5

Established Member
Where's that idea come from, what I have seen of recent Bombardier Electrostar/Turbostar construction they are assembled pre coloured including the cabs so if they were going to be in southern livery the cabs would be green not white. It looks to me as though they will be in the white Intrim Thameslink colour scheme that the 700's have been shown in except the doors are a bit darker.

Same person who put the pictures of the 387 online stated that Southern have said the 387 are coming with green doors and green stripe. The proof is already out of the green doors.

Manchester77

Established Member

The reason for this is that they're being delivered to southern so will come in an unbranded southern livery so they'll probably have the southern green seats etc. and then southern will sublease them to GoVia Thameslink so they're technically southerns but are coming in an unbranded livery. However now GoVia have Thameslink they may well vinyl them into whatever their corporate Thameslink colours are.

Established Member
Same person who put the pictures of the 387 online stated that Southern have said the 387 are coming with green doors and green stripe. The proof is already out of the green doors.

Dark Green doors hardly constitutes Southern Livery though does it. I think the interior colours remain to be seen, but if Daft have left it to Southern to choose the colours then I suppose they are likely to be green, which is a pity because if think its a bloody awful colour scheme.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Dark Green doors hardly constitutes Southern Livery though does it. I think the interior colours remain to be seen, but if Daft have left it to Southern to choose the colours then I suppose they are likely to be green, which is a pity because if think its a bloody awful colour scheme.

Where did I state they were having Southern livery? I simply said green, doesn't make it Southern.

southern442

Established Member

Thank you for that article! I am quite glad that Govia have won the franchise (probably in the minority here)!

Established Member
Where did I state they were having Southern livery? I simply said green, doesn't make it Southern.

Ok fair enough, from those photo's its looks more like dark grey to me but I guess I could be wrong. I am sceptical the 387's will go to TPX I think that given there is 3+ years between the announcement of the new TPX franchise holder and completion of the North TPX electrification I think it may be up to the franchise bidders to propose new or existing stock for the route, while Blackpool Manchester will probably get 319's initially even if this route stays with TPX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.