• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder why something else couldn't be programmed in for the 'boot up' text. Never understood why a 365 said 'BRB Class 465' on a restart, rather than just 'Welcome' or similar.

I suppose Welcome to Class 377 is better than BRB Class nnn or Electrostar though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The TPWS overspeed will trigger at over 10mph at the termini I sign leading to the inevitable meeting without biscuits

Indeed. (although more recent resignallings have them set at 12.5mph*)

But that doesn't excuse professional driving policy requiring drivers to run over grids at 6mph to allow for speedo deficiency (2mph) and a further 2mph 'safety' margin. Arguably it is less safe - many of us will have been on trains where the driver has to take power after the grids to actually get fully in to the platform. Taking power in the final 50 metres or so of a terminal platform is rarely sensible.

* in the early days of TPWS I was on a voyager into Paddington late at night that tripped the TPWS. We stopped a long way from the bufferstops. The driver made a very sharp exit with the train left where it was! But it was clear back then that 10mph was too pessimistic.

Class455

Established Member
Not strictly regarding 387s but their cousin the 377 however rather than start a new thread...

I noticed today the 377/7 and 377/6 that were making a rare visit down the arun valley line on the Brighton diversions were displaying 'welcome to class 377' first time I have seen this... I have noticed 'Electrostar' before

As far as I know this is not driver led and merely a default setting for the screens

I wonder how many passengers understood what it meant

I've seen this before when I visited Selhurst Depot when they were new towards the end of 2013. I believe its only available on the new Electrostars.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
c2c are reporting that the first 387s have arrived there
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/travelling-with-us/timetables-and-trains/new-2016-carriages/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=New+trains

The first set of our brand new, British-built trains will be coming into service in the next few weeks and providing increased capacity on a range of services. Watch the video below for more info on how they will improve your service.

As soon as staff have been trained on the new carriages, they'll be used to supplement the current timetable where necessary and improve services. Once all the carriages have arrived, our new timetable will come into effect to maximise the potential of the new stock.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
From the December timetable at a guess? Interesting they're not hanging about with getting them into use, I smell a visit to c2c land in the coming weeks...

absolutelymilk

Established Member
From the December timetable at a guess? Interesting they're not hanging about with getting them into use, I smell a visit to c2c land in the coming weeks...

Yes, from what I understand they will be used to strengthen existing services within a few weeks and then a new timetable will be launched in December to take full advantage of the trains.

D365

Veteran Member
According to an earlier post by Class377/5, 100% availability is expected from peak-only usage starting December.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
According to an earlier post by Class377/5, 100% availability is expected from peak-only useage starting December.

I'm not sure I said the date as I don't know but final plan is 2x 12 387 for each peak. Between the peaks they will rest at the depot.

chris11256

According to a draft of the new TT the 387s run the 05:56 from Shoeburyness(12 carriages) and the 08:08 from Leigh(12 carriages)

in PM peak afaik 387s will run the 17:16 & 17:46 from Fenchurch street. Each will run as 12 carriages.

racyrich

According to a draft of the new TT the 387s run the 05:56 from Shoeburyness(12 carriages) and the 08:08 from Leigh(12 carriages)

in PM peak afaik 387s will run the 17:16 & 17:46 from Fenchurch street. Each will run as 12 carriages.

Oooh, that's good, the 17.16 is my usual train home. It's already a 12 and full and standing before leaving Fen St, so will be interesting to see what happens.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not strictly regarding 387s but their cousin the 377 however rather than start a new thread...

I noticed today the 377/7 and 377/6 that were making a rare visit down the arun valley line on the Brighton diversions were displaying 'welcome to class 377' first time I have seen this... I have noticed 'Electrostar' before

As far as I know this is not driver led and merely a default setting for the screens

I wonder how many passengers understood what it meant

I saw a 377/6 today that had the "Welcome to class 377" showing in the side displays on the leading carriage and "London Victoria" on the other four...

racyrich

Was it just 387302 or did it have a friend as video showed a single unit.

Couldn't really tell as it was in the shed. A 4 on its own right down to the stops would not have been visible on the road it was on. It was maybe 2 car-lengths inside the shed, so not even a normal position for an 8. I suspect it was a 4 with an 8 car 357 in front of it.

Class377/5

Established Member
Couldn't really tell as it was in the shed. A 4 on its own right down to the stops would not have been visible on the road it was on. It was maybe 2 car-lengths inside the shed, so not even a normal position for an 8. I suspect it was a 4 with an 8 car 357 in front of it.

Cheers.

physics34

Established Member
Can someone please remind me of the GWR 387 services running today or a least tell me what page they are on on this forum, cheers!

387star

On Moderation
Why do some electrostars have problems with the auto pa ie most of the time it plays normally then when it gives a coach number it sounds all muffled like something from doctor who?

spark001uk

Established Member
Why do some electrostars have problems with the auto pa ie most of the time it plays normally then when it gives a coach number it sounds all muffled like something from doctor who?

I was on a TL electrostar yesterday that said we are now approaching St. Pancras International at every stop! :D

samuelmorris

Established Member
Unfortunate that based on that preliminary timetable the c2c units won't be serving my area during the time I travel. Will have to contrive a reason to use a peak service in the evening to have a go on one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Unfortunate that based on that preliminary timetable the c2c units won't be serving my area during the time I travel. Will have to contrive a reason to use a peak service in the evening to have a go on one.

The good news is that both services being suggested calls at Upminster so in theory you could go Fenchurch Street - Upminster - LO to Romford - TFL Rail to Brentwood ;)

smudga331

I've just seen a video of the C2C 387's being tested near Three Bridges.

Does anyone know why they've bothered to fit shoe-gear on these? Is it purely for the test runs or will it remain?

Thanks.

J-2739

Established Member
Given that these units are only temporary bread before the main meal is served, I bet you some cents that the shoe gears will remain.

JN114

Established Member
I've just seen a video of the C2C 387's being tested near Three Bridges.

Does anyone know why they've bothered to fit shoe-gear on these? Is it purely for the test runs or will it remain?

Thanks.

They're only with c2c temporarily, when they go back to the ROSCO in a couple of years time I'm sure them being DC-ready/equipped will be much more saleable than DC capable if you pay/wait for shoegear to be fitted.

smudga331

They're only with c2c temporarily, when they go back to the ROSCO in a couple of years time I'm sure them being DC-ready/equipped will be much more saleable than DC capable if you pay/wait for shoegear to be fitted.

I see, I had no idea that they weren't going to be with C2C very long as the 357's have been there a while. Is a full fleet replacement looking likely in the foreseeable? or is it case of the 387's standing in whilst other 357's undergo maintenance and repair?

D365

Veteran Member
I see, I had no idea that they weren't going to be with C2C very long as the 357's have been there a while. Is a full fleet replacement looking likely in the foreseeable? or is it case of the 387's standing in whilst other 357's undergo maintenance and repair?

It's a short-term solution for a capacity deficit until a larger additional fleet is ordered in the near future.

Class377/5

Established Member

Plan is the 6x 387 will be used on peak only 12 car services freeing up 357 for train lengthening.

In 2019 the plan is for a new order of trains to be ordered and the 387/3 go off lease. These are additional units to work alongside the 357 fleet to provide more capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.