• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 458/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
It's not quite that though as I think 450's have been used on Woking Bays,Hampton Court/Chessy and possibly Guildford via Cobham/Epsom.I probably dont get on those as much as they save me for 159/458/459 and Main Line which they cant cover.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought it was quite a funny idea, I would love to see the look on some of their faces if a 455 turned up! :lol:

But I do have my (hard earned) reputation to think about! ;)

I would really wonder if they would notice the difference.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If sufficient line capacity were available an x15min frequency between Reading and Waterloo would be very popular and would release suppressed demand in the M4 corridor. The Bracknell to Reading section is really used like a metro into Reading and a higher frequency would create a turn up and go service.

They used to have a 15 min frequency on the Reading Waterloo service back in the day, I can't recall exactly when (80s or 90s) with alternative services running via Hounslow or Richmond. However the service did not last long (no more than a year after introduction if I remember correctly).

When they withdrew the extra service via Hounslow the reason was that there was not enough slack in the time table to recover from disruption with 15 min intervals on the Reading line. As it is now they have almost 25mis layover at Reading to recover.

The Weybridge services have now taken the paths via Hounslow that the Reading services used.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

Oh I'd make sure they would. When the SN ones come off lease, don't refurb em and send em to Alton :P

Oh and find the dirtiest portion of the train and classify it as first class

That should burst a few blood vessels in the ALUG

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
What is about the Alton Line User Group? I know nothing about them bar what I read on here, which doesn't seem to be complimentary. Are they really above their station/getting more than they deserve or are people jealous of what they are able to achieve?

59CosG95

Established Member
It's not quite that though as I think 450's have been used on Woking Bays,Hampton Court/Chessy and possibly Guildford via Cobham/Epsom.I probably dont get on those as much as they save me for 159/458/459 and Main Line which they cant cover.

459? Do 459s exist?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
459? Do 459s exist?

Software issue apparently. 459 is the way the 458/5 is shown on SWT internal computer systems that deal with train crew diagramming - it was explained a few months back that they haven't allowed for 5 characters in that particular database field.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
What is about the Alton Line User Group? I know nothing about them bar what I read on here, which doesn't seem to be complimentary. Are they really above their station/getting more than they deserve or are people jealous of what they are able to achieve?

Lets just say they will put up a protest for even the slightest delay.

Also the local MPs in that area are Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Lets just say they will put up a protest for even the slightest delay.

Also the local MPs in that area are Jeremy Hunt and Michael Gove.
Ah that says it all. Surprised they haven't been upgraded back to double track all the way, given the calibre of MPs representing them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
They used to have a 15 min frequency on the Reading Waterloo service back in the day, I can't recall exactly when (80s or 90s) with alternative services running via Hounslow or Richmond. However the service did not last long (no more than a year after introduction if I remember correctly).

When they withdrew the extra service via Hounslow the reason was that there was not enough slack in the time table to recover from disruption with 15 min intervals on the Reading line. As it is now they have almost 25mis layover at Reading to recover.

The Weybridge services have now taken the paths via Hounslow that the Reading services used.

From what I recall the 15 minute frequency ran for about 3 years in the late 90s. The off-peak recovery time at Reading is now 32 minutes. In the evening peak it can reduce to 17 minutes.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 4 tph Reading service was running in June 2002 as shown on an SWT route diagram I have - so it may have been discontinued in the big 2004 timetable recast. The diagram also shows the former Weybridge to Staines shuttle (although it was only a single tph) that was joined to the inner part of the former Reading service to provide for today's service pattern.

Attachments

• Suburban Map.jpg
    Suburban Map.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 4 tph Reading service was running in June 2002 as shown on an SWT route diagram I have - so it may have been discontinued in the big 2004 timetable recast. The diagram also shows the former Weybridge to Staines shuttle (although it was only a single tph) that was joined to the inner part of the former Reading service to provide for today's service pattern.

I believe you may be right. I think it ran for a lot longer than I thought - maybe up to about 6 years.

The Network Rail route study includes an option for reintroducing 4tph to Reading after the Feltham area signalling. It also includes an option for 4tph to Windsor, with all the extra trains running via Hounslow.

hassaanhc

Established Member

Guildford to West Croydon via Sutton?! :o

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Guildford to West Croydon via Sutton?! :o

That was a waste of time as it followed a South Central service by about 4-5' so ran empty for most of the time!
Ah that says it all. Surprised they haven't been upgraded back to double track all the way, given the calibre of MPs representing them.

Don't give them silly ideas, they already have delusions of grandeur thinking that they're on a mainline. Alton never has been on a mainline, even when the line extended to Winchester or Fareham. Its always been a branch line. They even think that they're entitled to 444's, when the Portsmouth mainline has to suffer 450s!

Redoubling? Nah, they can't even run the service properly on the single line, it falls to bits very easily, even with the "recontrol" of the signalling. And if you travel on those trains in the evening they seldom have more than 50 people on them beyond Farnham, there's so few that they'd be better off combining & dividing at Farnham and save loads of unnecessary miles and electricity.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Don't give them silly ideas, they already have delusions of grandeur thinking that they're on a mainline. Alton never has been on a mainline, even when the line extended to Winchester or Fareham. Its always been a branch line. They even think that they're entitled to 444's, when the Portsmouth mainline has to suffer 450s!

Redoubling? Nah, they can't even run the service properly on the single line, it falls to bits very easily, even with the "recontrol" of the signalling. And if you travel on those trains in the evening they seldom have more than 50 people on them beyond Farnham, there's so few that they'd be better off combining & dividing at Farnham and save loads of unnecessary miles and electricity.

A candidate for lifting the juice rail and pacers perhaps?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Bit unrelated to 458/5s (well apart from they use the track), does the track pass Queentown Road reduce to 2 up and 1 down (so trains which use both down lines at Vauxhall have to wait to clear the single track section before it redoubles going into Clapham?)

I noticed 2 spare 460 cars outside at Doncaster this afternoon (along with those old luggage van driving ends with no doors or windows)

hassaanhc

Established Member
Bit unrelated to 458/5s (well apart from they use the track), does the track pass Queentown Road reduce to 2 up and 1 down (so trains which use both down lines at Vauxhall have to wait to clear the single track section before it redoubles going into Clapham?)

I noticed 2 spare 460 cars outside at Doncaster this afternoon (along with those old luggage van driving ends with no doors or windows)

Yes there is only one "down line" in the vicinity of Queenstown Road, from Nine Elms Junction (the old Eurostar flyover) to around where the Caffè Nero building is just to the country end of Queenstown Road.
Having said that, the line through the disused P1 is bi-directional the full distance from West London Junction to Waterloo (hence why is it called the "Windsor Reversible" ;)) while the track layout and signalling at Queenstown Road makes P2 (the up line) bi-directional too at that point.

It is timetabled to avoid conflicts. Departure times from Waterloo (crossed out ones do not call at Queenstown Road, the 01 and 31 are 03 or 33 at some hours):
Off Peak: 01, 07, 15, 20, 22, 28, 31, 37, 45, 50, 52, 58
Peak: 01, 05, 07, 13, 15, 20, 22, 28, 31, 35, 37, 43, 45, 50, 52, 58

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes there is only one "down line" in the vicinity of Queenstown Road, from Nine Elms Junction (the old Eurostar flyover) to around where the Caffè Nero building is just to the country end of Queenstown Road.
Having said that, the line through the disused P1 is bi-directional the full distance from West London Junction to Waterloo (hence why is it called the "Windsor Reversible" ;)) while the track layout and signalling at Queenstown Road makes P2 (the up line) bi-directional too at that point.

It is timetabled to avoid conflicts. Departure times from Waterloo (crossed out ones do not call at Queenstown Road, the 01 and 31 are 03 or 33 at some hours):
Off Peak: 01, 07, 15, 20, 22, 28, 31, 37, 45, 50, 52, 58
Peak: 01, 05, 07, 13, 15, 20, 22, 28, 31, 35, 37, 43, 45, 50, 52, 58

Although in times of disputation, it must cause some issues with conflicts [especially currently at weekends with the Wimbledon lines closed]
----
When I was down Winchester on Friday, on the refreshment trolley (sorry disabled persons) ramp holding it says "use for only Class 170s, 444s, 450s & 458s", must be some years since a 458 (or even a 170) called at Winchester on a passenger service.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Although in times of disputation, it must cause some issues with conflicts [especially currently at weekends with the Wimbledon lines closed]
----
When I was down Winchester on Friday, on the refreshment trolley (sorry disabled persons) ramp holding it says "use for only Class 170s, 444s, 450s & 458s", must be some years since a 458 (or even a 170) called at Winchester on a passenger service.

I don't recall ever seeing either 458s or 170s in service around the Poole or Bournemouth area, how many years ago would that have been and did it last long?

Bigfoot

Perhaps the ramps were part of a batch for various swt stations and all labeled up the same as it doesn't matter where they are just that they are only suitable for the listed stock. Economies of scale and all that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.