• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 458/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I was comparing it to Guildford to Waterloo via Effingham Junction. To be fair Reading to Waterloo is 1 hour 22 minutes, where as Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham is only an hour and via Leatherhead it is 1 hour 12 minutes.

Other people say, most people on the two routes I mentioned don't travel end to end. Is that not the case on the Reading line?

I'm sure parts of the Reading line are just as rural as the Cobham and Leatherhead lines?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The journey from Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham is an hour. If you only include trains where no faster direct service exists, it's at least 50 minutes to Clapham Junction in the morning peak. Evening peak back from Clapham Junction they allow 56 minutes. No loos on these trains. What's the difference between that and Ascot? I guess passengers could change trains a couple of times in the morning to be on trains with loos. Perhaps that wouldn't be possible on the Reading line at all if Reading services had no loos.

Guildford to Ascot is an hour with no loo but the train waits at Aldershot so one could hope over to platform 1 to use the facilities without missing their train, unless they have a condition where they spend a while on a loo.

I personally think all trains should have loos, especially those that travelling through rural green belt. That would include the Reading line; Cobham line; Epsom line and Aldershot lines. However that isn't going to happen.

Apparently there will be more 450's on the Ascot line during the day as of the May timetable change. Whether that's true, remains to be seen. Not that we leave the toilets open on 450's over that route anyway, because all you get it the knuckle draggers using them for smoking & injecting.

So in that respect a 456 is better than a 450. Although we have found that the kids are now using Sparklets bulbs & balloons to get their highs over there. The other week we found 24 Sparklets bulbs on the floor, with several balloons.

Perhaps you can see why if I want to travel to any of the towns served by that line I drive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

southern442

Established Member
So are you saying is that only rural lines warrant trains without loos? I mean the trains on the Cobham line are not exactly empty in the morning.

To be fair, Southern operate a Guildford-London Bridge which is an hour and 10 mins and is normally a 377, which has a toilet. But this still leaves the problem of Effingham-Surbiton.

TEW

Established Member
Apparently there will be more 450's on the Ascot line during the day as of the May timetable change. Whether that's true, remains to be seen. Not that we leave the toilets open on 450's over that route anyway, because all you get it the knuckle draggers using them for smoking & injecting.
More 450s out on a Saturday on the line as of December. Gone from 1 to 3 out 5 diagrams as 450s on Saturdays.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
When will the training on the 458/5s be complete? It seems to be taking forever.

Seems to be a big problem here.I learn't them last April but there are still going to be drivers learning them this April at this rate.On a side note I have rarely got on a 456.One trip to Wimbledon Depot via Hampton Court.Just about keeps me in the six month radius.We have very few 456 diagrams.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Seems to be a big problem here.I learn't them last April but there are still going to be drivers learning them this April at this rate.On a side note I have rarely got on a 456.One trip to Wimbledon Depot via Hampton Court.Just about keeps me in the six month radius.We have very few 456 diagrams.

You're going to get a whole load more soon! And you're welcome to them too.:D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Are 456s only ever two car sets.? I though I had seen them on Southern services as 4 car units, with two trailers in the middle like the 455s on SWT. I also though some of the 456s did have loos on board too.

Feathers44

Are 456s only ever two car sets.? I though I had seen them on Southern services as 4 car units, with two trailers in the middle like the 455s on SWT. I also though some of the 456s did have loos on board too.

They've only ever been twos and the loos went years ago. (Having a train with a loo used to feel ever so posh when they were first introduced on the Wimbledon-Croydon services all those years ago.)

hang on, I thought this was a 458 thread...

Class377/5

Established Member

456 are two car units and have always been so. 455 are the four cars versions. Southern had both until Dec 2013, now is just got the 455s.

southern442

Established Member
They've only ever been twos and the loos went years ago. (Having a train with a loo used to feel ever so posh when they were first introduced on the Wimbledon-Croydon services all those years ago.)

Even though it was more like a small prison cell than a loo :lol:

southern442

Established Member
Yes, you're right of course. It all seems to have ground to a halt - just like the trains.

I can remember when we all felt really sorry for SWT as they had problem after problem with these trains - but that was nothing compared to the disruption caused by London Bridge now.

Not sure what moved yet but......

The barriers in the yard at Wimbledon were the ones for the completed units.

8025 was seen without its footboards.

I would say movement North is imminent and the barriers had to come down to facilitate that.

Just guessing

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Indeed. Currently a colas 66 in the sidings next to the district nedt to barriers

Im taking a 458 into Wimbledon tonight so I will look to see if I can see it.Actually last time I had this job that "458" looked suspiciously like a 455.

Last edited:

Not sure what moved yet but......

The barriers in the yard at Wimbledon were the ones for the completed units.

8025 was seen without its footboards.

I would say movement North is imminent and the barriers had to come down to facilitate that.

Just guessing

Logically, it should be 458505 to have gone back south as that has been at Doncaster the longest.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
In terms of car numbers:
458531's formation is 67913 - 74418 - 74446 - 74458 - 67912
458534's formation is 67914 - 74414 - 74444 - 74454 - 67918
For Class 460 rebuilds the last numeral of the car number indicates from which former Class 460 unit the vehicle was taken. Note 458531 is made up from four different units!

TEW

Established Member
458532 was working 1622 London Waterloo-Weybridge on its own this evening. Pretty sure that's not normally a 458/5 working.

arty762

8025 is currently sitting on london end 11 road in the shed minus its shoegear,
the barrier coaches left top yard yesterday i think, to bring back the next unit from Doncaster.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I noticed a 458/5 disappearing out of Ascot today at a fair rate of knots, but didn't catch which one it was or what service (if it was a passenger one) it was working.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I noticed a 458/5 disappearing out of Ascot today at a fair rate of knots, but didn't catch which one it was or what service (if it was a passenger one) it was working.

Well, 5-car stop boards have just appeared on the Reading line...

Status
Not open for further replies.