• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60's to Colas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just read this on WNXX:

60066 at Toton has been stored WQAA pending repairs to its damaged roof being undertaken. 60087 at Toton has been reallocated from WQDA to the WQAA pool and is to be the first of a number of Class 60s to be repaired/overhauled and returned to service with Colas Railfreight. Evidently the sale of some or all of the twenty Class 60s made available some months ago has been concluded.

been away for a few days anyone know when this was finalised or has it been public knowledge for a while.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
No it isnt common knowledge!
Is it a reliable source on WANX (with a link to the information) or is it just a train spotter guessing!

Surely if they had been sold, DBS would have been put in the WNSO pool.

Last edited:

No it isnt common knowledge!
Is it a reliable source on WANX (with a link to the information) or is it just a train spotter guessing!

Surely if they had been sold, DBS would have been put in the WNSO pool.

Posted on the main site by Ian Furness, so yes, usually a very reliable source.

WNSO pool is dead, replaced by WQDA several months ago. Ironically, 60087 moved out of the pool to WQAA, which is the 'for repair' stored loco pool.

Topgun333

Interesting. I had those 60s down as destined for GBRF. Had discounted Colas because of the 70s. If true, Colas is certainly aiming big with freight contracts. It would give them an interesting if diverse near future fleet for sure... 37s, 47s, 56s, 60s, 66s and 70s. That will please a few people and irritate others!

Beveridges

Established Member
It will be interesting to see where GBRf will get future locos from now that the 66 production line has officially ended. I believe they have ruled out the BR Type 5's completely though they will continue to use low-end Type 1's & ED's on secondary work, but the primary work will remain with 66's. I believe they have ruled out 70's, so maybe in future they will get 68's or even a new class of locomotive.

I hope Colas Rail have a lot of contracts lined up as they are going to end up with a huge fleet of locomotives. Many of them with 'extra' heavy haulage capabilities (60 & 70). I believe even their current fleet of 56's, 66's & 70's is under used. With 37's & 60's on the way Colas Rail's choice of locomotives seems to be very pleasing to the enthusiasts, I wonder if enthusiasts are in higher management ?

DB may regret selling these 60's to Colas. They will now have a competitor who also has 'extra' haulage capabilities who could put in a lower price to take over the tank trains, iron ores and coal.

I wonder how many of those 20x Class 60's can be returned to use and how many will have to be robbed ?

WNXX site is usually a very reliable source (the main site, not the forum!) and does not deserve the nickname WANX.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
In ny defence oh exalted one, I havent been on there for a few years.
At the time one of the moderators was suffering from a serious superiority complex and was arguing with all and sundry about the intricacies of rail operations (despite not actually having a clue what he was on about) and really getting on peoples ti um I mean nerves.

So after I had the audacity to join the breakaway 4ft8 1/2 forum I was promptly quarantined on WNXX which meant that I was effectively banned and unable to visit any other part of the forum.

I understand theat Ian has sorted the problem now but a lot of very knowledgable people have left/ been banned so I dont really have much interest in joining it again.
The nickname was more aimed at certain admin/mods rather than the site itself.
I remember it as it was and that is that. ;)

Anyway enough about that place.

Any of the 60s will be able to be reactivated if they throw enough money at them. This is probably a case of getting them while they are available no matter what state they are in.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Getting them while they can put new engines in that meet EU regs too. I sense that may have something to do with it.

60s and 70s. Interesting. Anywhere on the network where large gradients are causing issues?

Beveridges

Established Member
the time one of the moderators was suffering from a serious superiority complex and was arguing with all and sundry about the intricacies of rail operations (despite not actually having a clue what he was on about) and really getting on peoples ti um I mean nerves.

Sounds like the infamous conflicts on WNXX (aka WANX) when Paul Bigland was moderator on there! :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bigland
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Getting them while they can put new engines in that meet EU regs too.

What sort of engines are going to be fitted to the refurbed 60's & is DB Schenker looking into it as well ? Are the days of the clagging thrashing 3300hp 8MB275T 8-cylinder Mirlees nearly over?

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Sounds like the infamous conflicts on WNXX (aka WANX) when Paul Bigland was moderator on there! :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bigland
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have never seen that before, you made I larf! :lol:

What sort of engines are going to be fitted to the refurbed 60's & is DB Schenker looking into it as well ? Are the days of the clagging thrashing 3300hp 8-cylinder Mirlees nearly over?

Nothing wrong with the Mirlees engines which are capable of being completely rebuilt time after time, even the ones where the conrod has escaped ;), as long as you have the frame to support the engine while it is being rebuilt! Ah now there is a problem, DB have one (I think its the only one) at Toton and probably wont lend it out.

Easy answer to get some locos running quickly is to take all the low engine hours bits off the broken engine and put them into a complete crankcase.
This obviously depends which locos have been purchased and how much has been recovered from them.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I have never seen that before, you made I larf! :lol:

Nothing wrong with the Mirlees engines which are capable of being completely rebuilt time after time, even the ones where the conrod has escaped ;), as long as you have the frame to support the engine while it is being rebuilt! Ah now there is a problem, DB have one (I think its the only one) at Toton and probably wont lend it out.

Would it not be possible to fabricate another frame or is it easier said than done? Honest question by the way :)

455driver

Veteran Member
Would it not be possible to fabricate another frame or is it easier said than done? Honest question by the way :)

Yes if the measurements are available, the engine manufacturer would probably be able to supply the measurements or even manufacture a new frame if the price is right.

If all else fails watch out for a rather large lorry (fitted with a crane) turning up at Toton at silly oclock in the morning when nobody is looking! :lol:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yes if the measurements are available, the engine manufacturer would probably be able to supply the measurements or even manufacture a new frame if the price is right.

If all else fails watch out for a rather large lorry (fitted with a crane) turning up at Toton at silly oclock in the morning when nobody is looking! :lol:

LOL! Just out of interest where do Colas do their loco repairs? Clearly Toton is a very well equiped TMD, do Colas have anything similar? To quantify I'm assuming that you would need heavy lifting gear to carry out maintenance on a power unit?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is it not the case that those 60s that DBS have refurbished had their top speed raised from 60mph to 75? I must confess that I only vaguely remember reading that in an issue of RAIL a few years ago. The ever-reliable ;) Wikipedia makes no mention of such a thing but if it is the case, surely a similar upgrade may be on the cards for the Colas examples.

fgwrich

Established Member
LOL! Just out of interest where do Colas do their loco repairs? Clearly Toton is a very well equiped TMD, do Colas have anything similar? To quantify I'm assuming that you would need heavy lifting gear to carry out maintenance on a power unit?

Most of Colas's heavy maintenance is either carried out in Eastleigh Works by Arlington, Washwood Heath and Colas's in house workshops in Rugby and Cardiff Canton.

In this case, wouldn't Brush still have any of the jigs or gear at Loughborough?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Colas Rail Freight to get 10 60s.

Colas Rail freight have bought 10 class 60 'Tugs'. 60066 at Toton has been stored WQAA pending repairs to its damaged roof being undertaken. 60087 at Toton has been reallocated from WQDA to the WQAA pool and is to be the first of a number of Class 60s to be repaired/overhauled and returned to service with Colas Railfreight. Evidently the sale of some or all of the twenty Class 60s made available some months ago has been concluded.

WNXX report of them above.

Apparently 60087 should be the first to be put into Colas colours followed by the other 9. Colas are taking the 60s that Wabtec Rail were going to take so still have the possibility of another 10. Hopefully they will get more.
http://www.wnxx.com/14/1403/270314/colas60.htm

A model of how a colas 60 should look.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Will these locos be replacing to 47s and 56s do people think?

ExRes

Established Member
They could well negate the need for the 37s that Colas have been rounding up, as for the 56s they've just had money thrown at them but could be dropped by the time the 60s are trackworthy, assuming that Colas haven't already negotiated additional contracts for new locos that is

I presume that the 47s still have working ETH, if so then surely they are worth keeping for that alone, not to mention the fact that 47/7s are light years ahead of everything else as the best locos ever built ........

Beveridges

Established Member
56s -unlikely as they are still very useful due to their type 5 power and haulage capabilities.

As for the 37s and 47s it depends if Colas win enough work to need them.

Last edited:

Topgun333

56s -unlikely as they are still very useful due to their type 5 power and haulage capabilities.

As for the 37s and 47s it depends if Colas win enough work to need them.

Colas wouldn't have bought four preserved 37s recently if they felt there was no need for them. Negotiations for the 60s would have been happening at the same time.

455driver

Veteran Member
You wouldnt want to use a super heavy haul 60 on a lightweight train more suitable for a 37 unless you had to, they will be looking at getting the right number of each type of locos for each weight/type of train they are intending/hoping to run in future.

They could also have bought the 60s simply because they are available now and they dont know when/if any more will be made available.

There are many possible scenarios and unless anyone has an insider at Colas then everything will just be conjecture!

al.currie93

Do you mean Colas 37's....? Colas aren't taking on 31's as far as I'm aware. DC Rail (Devon & Cornwall Railways) are on the lookout for more 31's if I'm not mistaken...?

Ben

I did mean class 37 sorry! That's ****** predictive text for you ha!

Beveridges

Established Member
Colas will have 56's & 66's for 'heavy' haulage, 60's & 70's for 'super heavy' haulage and 37's & 47's for anything else and any passenger work.

The fleet they are working towards makes sense and is a lot better than trying to get 66s to do 100% everything - unlike some operators!

Beveridges

Established Member
I bet DB Schenker would never have sold them to Wabtec if they knew Colas would later get hold of them! A major competitor.

I can see Colas now putting in for the Peak Forest stone, Humberside iron ore & oil, Liverpool Bulk Terminal coals and the Mendip stone trains now that they've got these 60's!

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Colas will have 56's & 66's for 'heavy' haulage, 60's & 70's for 'super heavy' haulage and 37's & 47's for anything else and any passenger work.

The fleet they are working towards makes sense and is a lot better than trying to get 66s to do 100% everything - unlike some operators!

Is it though? Having lots of 66s works fine as it gives a standard fleet and the benefits that go with it. Surely the ideal fleet ECONOMICALLY (ignoring crap from enthusiasts) is loads of 66s with a few 70s/60s just for the really heavy stuff?

9K43

Class 60 are the best engines you could have for hauling heavy loads.
The cab is a drivers dream, and pulling power is far better than the Class 66's by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.