• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 67 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath9425

Just to get this straight, these aren't my trains. They're Steve Thomas' - I'm merely the host. ;)

I agree that trains would be better with a proper sound set all recorded from the real thing, but people should appreciate that this isn't always possible. At the end of the day, we don't all have connections with drivers who are willing to let us record in their cabs. The likes of Martin Corbett do, as he is a driver on all the locos he has made. Zane Saxton was a Conductor on the units he has made. John Owen was a Conductor for GNER so could record in-cab sounds easily. The list goes on.

I shall upload a large 57/3 cab-shot later tonight to show you how it ISN'T hand drawn. Infact, none of the trains I have ever produced have been hand-drawn (apart from my earlier ones which I no longer host). I will also try to do a sound clip, which you can comment on, and if you want, help me improve it. :)

That's quite an explanation - And it's good.

I know we don't all have contacts in the railway industry, but I suppose it does help.

I look forward to the 57 Clip/Picture. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

EKR123,
With Randomiser running, open and choose the route you want to use then click on the actual route file you want to run, in the left-hand window. Then, click on a 'train' Folder, in the right-hand window. Then click 'start' seen at top right.

You will next get a box asking if you wish to 'Process and start' or 'Process and wait'. As you obvioulsy want to get going, click 'Process and wait' then BVE4 will start to load up.

That's it.

I think the programme remembers the last set-up and there is a file that you can click on next time and run the same combination. Otherwise follow the same procedure for whatever combination of route file and train you wish.

Jord

Pretty good handling, especially for the 10-coach railtour and WSMR versions. Maybe a Royal Train version soon? ;)

Surely no point in doing a 'Royal Train' version? but in the next update of say NWM route, they could put a Royal Train diagram in but use the WSMR set or the railtour set?

P156KWJ

Established Member
This is petty. Everyone shut up.

-Adam

[rant]agreed - whilst I will say that everyone is entitled to an opinion - it takes a heck of a lot of time to produce an add-on for BVE, and I found it so hard and I have so little time I canned my projects. This is why it annoys me when people constantly bicker 'Why isn't this released yet, you promised it ages ago' and 'this is the pits, it's awful, I hate it' and can annoy people to the point that they will stop producing items. And then people will all of a sudden say 'why aren't you making any more?' It's just contradictions all the time!![/rant]

I shall upload a large 57/3 cab-shot later tonight to show you how it ISN'T hand drawn. Infact, none of the trains I have ever produced have been hand-drawn (apart from my earlier ones which I no longer host). I will also try to do a sound clip, which you can comment on, and if you want, help me improve it. :)

Ta,

It's from MSTS, not hand drawn.
Still not as good as a proper photo from a cab mind you.

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I thought the MSTS one was slightly different, but I could be wrong mind.

But I agree, its not easy to do, and you can't really get sounds unless you know the driver or manage to get a kit to wire the engine with your mic kit. And you cant record outside, them mainly being on pendo runs and if there was a droplight you could hang the mic out of, youd need a good one with super wind reduction.

I know how hard BVE is to make stuff, as people know in my earlier years i was a big headed 16 year old trying things that I couldnt do!

cheers,

James.

Guinness

Established Member
To be honest, a realistic simulation, shouldnt involve sounds from a completely different loco.

I wasn't aware that Mackoy had set Terms and Conditions that ALL add-on simulations used in BVE had to be realistic?

There is practically nothing essentially mechanically similar on a 47 to a 57 (except body, wheels and bogie's etc), or a 56 to a 57. So why use sounds from one of them?
Couldn't get permissions for use of other sounds, perhaps? It could be many reasons. It's either sounds from a different loco or no sound at all. Besides if you don't like them you can always disable them?

If somethings going to be made as a realistic simulation, it needs to be done properly. Not bodged together from random locomotives other people have made.
Some encouraging words there.. I have a solution to this 'problem' - Maybe you should create a 67 Sim from Scratch and then we'll see how this fares out?

No doubt these 'configured' raindrops will be copied from say, a 141 in Iran.
Better than no Raindrops.

It annoys me at times to see how developers have spent hours of research, creating panels, editing sounds for no money at all for their hard work and yet people will just use criticism and want more for nothing. No wonder why a few developers have stop developing after years of experience for stupid, idiotic comments. IMHO half the BVE boards on different forums is full of crap with people wanting more for nothing.. :roll:

pedned

Chaz.
If BVE developers didn't want criticism, they wouldn't post links to their trains on forums.
They can all take it. Their big enough and ugly enough to put up with a bit of banter about sounds or a drawn cab. (Especially Rich ;);))

Ok, yes people want something for nothing, but that's life isn't it?

Who turns down free things?

I'll tell you who, No-one.
Or at least no-one that's posted so far, because they all seem willing to download a free addon for BVE. Oh and they downloaded BVE for free too!

Oh and Chav (oh sorry I mean Chaz)
If we don't criticise, they wont see where they're going wrong. You learn for your mistakes, and you don't learn your mistakes until somebody tells you how you can improve.

The Snap

Established Member
If we don't criticise, they wont see where they're going wrong. You learn for your mistakes, and you don't learn your mistakes until somebody tells you how you can improve.

It's how people criticise us that is annoying. People speak to us as if we are completely stupid and can't build trains. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism would be better...;)

AlexS

Established Member
What's wrong with a hand drawn cab?

I am the only bod here who has been using BVE long enough to remember that at one stage pretty much every cab was hand drawn, and that further more, we were all perfectly happy with and grateful for them?

Yes the sounds are a little wonky and it's a little sluggish off the mark, but it's still perfectly enjoyable to drive - do an EWS and stick it on a freight or summat and you'll be there.

I get the feeling that maybe you've all been spoiled by BVE4 and could do with taking a look back at what we used in the past, and were perfectly happy to use too.

Guinness

Established Member
Brilliant pedned, you've gone back into your old ways and missed the point! Gold star for you!! ;)

Chaz.
If BVE developers didn't want criticism, they wouldn't post links to their trains on forums.

I'm failing to understand why you've posted that bit on why that was directed at me.

They can all take it. Their big enough and ugly enough to put up with a bit of banter about sounds or a drawn cab. (Especially Rich ;);))
"They can all take it" - I remember a few years ago (Back in TTF) where a developer had created a piece of work and was high rate and really upset that someone had used constructive criticism against him saying that the textures hogging up frame rates and suggested that the file size should be reduced. So your crystal ball theory on "they can all take it" has failed here!

Ok, yes people want something for nothing, but that's life isn't it?
I'd semi-agree with that comment and my opinion of you has slightly rose but some people in the BVE community take the free but a little too far and always want more.

Who turns down free things?
Not really relevant, you could say AIDS is free and who'd want that?

I'll tell you who, No-one.
Ahh right, so we've all probably got AIDS then?.. :-?

Or at least no-one that's posted so far, because they all seem willing to download a free addon for BVE. Oh and they downloaded BVE for free too!
I've turned down a couple of routes and trains offered simply because I've had no time or interest to download them.

Oh and Chav (oh sorry I mean Chaz)
Haha ROFLMAO :):):):) Bet you had a good 10 minutes worth of rofling there. But congratulations you've just wrecked a good debate there by your pathetic attempts of insults. There I was thinking you had a brain for a minute!! :roll:

Read the last paragraph of my previous post or I'd just be repeating myself!

FusionRail

No - He asked for criticism, he got it.

Also, surely he wants to know what everyone thinks?

I fully agree. BVE Developers seem to have this stupid attitude that they are above and high and mighty over everyone else. Just because they make a simulation of a train. Its nothing special.

If you take a sound from another train, and use it on a different class, it isn't real, it doesn't get you any respect.

Although BVERN are a bit arsey, etc, they do throw out very good trains, because they know what they are doing. They don't use crap cameras, crap mics, can code properly and have a generally good feel to the trains.

I am entitled to my own opinion, and will voice it loudly if its needed to be. If its crap, then I will say it is, and thats from a perspective of large experience.

I wish people wouldn't say things are good just to keep people happy! If you don't like it, speak up, otherwise forever hold your peace and let the standard of train making go down even further.

FusionRail

Dick, how can you have cabbed 56003? It doesn't exist...

That cab isn't even a photo! Jesus Christ just leave things to BVERN & TSC, at least they can do it right...

D9521

OK lets start shall we? the 67 is a let down no other way to put it i'm not botherd by the cab, a cab is a cab at the end of the day athough realism is much preferd you can't have everything.. But the sounds i cannot stand i meen ok i may not have a clue yet where to start coding wise and yes i can understand that its not easy to get access to locos that arn't in preservation but it bugs me when a new train is released and it uses the same or edited sounds from another loco. Now, I'm not one to have a rant on forums as i realise how much effort needs to be put in to create a train for bve properly but at the same time surely there should be SOME form of standard in these trains. Ok so they are free and developers spend their free time creating them but surely they would get more enjoyment out of creating a train that is to the highest standard possible for example a few of RN's releases are to quite a high standard. Also if trains were created to a higher standard then there would be less criticism and more possitive comments thats my rant over pretty much im not someone who DEMANDS better trains for bve it would just be nice to have a little bit of quality in such a good game. Ok i havn't actually properly been through the hassle but i have a rough idea of it.

velaro

Okay, so let’s propose for a minute that the work of people like Martin Corbett and Zane Saxton represents the gold standard other train developers should aspire to. They certainly have released some fantastic work. Problem: as has been said before, they focused on trains where their jobs allowed to obtain materials like suitable cab photos and a complete set of sound recordings. It’s not clear that they could do the same for, say, a Class 67 – and I’m not convinced that under these circumstances, they could do a better job than Steve T has done. He should not be accorded less respect than other developers just because he did not have the same kind of access to the prototype.

So what is the solution when? If you can’t make it fully realistic, don’t release it at all? I don’t think so. There are many who enjoy trains like the 67. Do the best job you can, then make your work available. People will use what they like, and don’t use what they don’t like.

Incidentally, criticism need not always be constructive, but even so it’s worth remembering that suggestions for improvement are not constructive unless you can reasonably expect them to be feasible.

The Snap

Established Member
Okay, so let’s propose for a minute that the work of people like Martin Corbett and Zane Saxton represents the gold standard other train developers should aspire to. They certainly have released some fantastic work. Problem: as has been said before, they focused on trains where their jobs allowed to obtain materials like suitable cab photos and a complete set of sound recordings. It’s not clear that they could do the same for, say, a Class 67 – and I’m not convinced that under these circumstances, they could do a better job than Steve T has done. He should not be accorded less respect than other developers just because he did not have the same kind of access to the prototype.

Here here! :D

Incidentally, criticism need not always be constructive, but even so it’s worth remembering that suggestions for improvement are not constructive unless you can reasonably expect them to be feasible.

It's the tone and manor in which some of the criticism is given that is frustrating, not the criticism itself. ;)

devon_metro

Established Member
Whats so bad about it anyway :?

Far more enjoyable to drive that the 180. I didn't see page loads of criticism for that (but oh no - it was verified by a FAKE drive :roll:)

adamp

At the end of the day, its a simulator, trains are never going to be exact as good as they may be!

If you want the real thing go get a job with EWS or something and drive 67's all day long without any moans!!! :D

-Adam

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Your talking about a 67 being mixed sounds, just as well this isnt MSTS then, im suprised loads of people havent posted saying 'oh this 101 is aliased to the Kiha31' or 'this 67 is aliased to the Dash9' etc etc etc, the list would roll on!

class 313

Established Member
At the end of the day, its a simulator, trains are never going to be exact as good as they may be!

If you want the real thing go get a job with EWS or something a drive 67's all day long without any moans!!! :D

-Adam

To simulate the REAL THING.

They are meant to be as good as the REAL THING.

You're a fool if you want to settle down to 2nd best when a little more time and effort could of made the 67 a lot better at SIMULATING the REAL THING.

devon_metro

Established Member
To simulate the REAL THING.

They are meant to be as good as the REAL THING.

You're a fool if you want to settle down to 2nd best when a little more time and effort could of made the 67 a lot better at SIMULATING the REAL THING.

You havn't driven it ;)

velaro

No I haven't but doesn't mean the point above doesn't stand any more. ;)
The point stands only if your premise is true - that a little extra time and effort could have resulted in a better train. So how exactly do you know that?

If you're talking about cab photos and realistic sounds, please explain, in detail, how the developer was supposed to get his hands on those. If you're talking about other improvements the developer could easily have carried out, please explain, in detail, what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.