• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Liam L

Possible it is a 730. Rail operations group have a VSTP locomotive move to Soho tmd Depot tommorow Tuesday 24th May. However unless it's a 323 to Tyseley wheelathe. But could be a 730.
But let's all find out the actual truth when facts emerge.
No 730s are based at soho yet. Only Oxley.

The loco move was for 323221 to visit Tyseley wheelathe

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So at Guildford on the 455 a newish faulty capacitor leaked inflammable gas, which built up in the traction control case?
But was it the same fault with the 345?.

Improved ventilation of the case may stop the gas build up, but will be less water proof.
I know small domestic electrolytic capacitors can start to deteriorate with age and leak a small amount of liquid, so a visual check, followed by a capacitor test can be done before replacing one.

Presume it's the same with the larger capacitors on trains, although a gas leak will be harder to see.
Guess it's a matter of replacing capacitors from the same batch and regularly checking/ monitoring them?. As Nicholas Lewis says Alstom will have data to act on.
Fit pressure switches. Gas builds, pressure switches cut the traction. That was what was implemented on 455s post incident. And gas detection tools on depot before opening cases.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes, seems like a "hack" to let the trains run in service.

Looking at the 455 Guildford report again in one of the above posts, Figure 3 on pg 13 shows the extent of the explosion. The train was at platform 2, yet debris was found at Platform 8 and beyond (in the car park outside the station).

Considering that the 345s operate along many open sections (and not only in tunnels, where the debris would be confined), the platform level exception seems useless if an explosion on the scale of the 455 were to occur.
Agreed, how can they be certain an Aventra cover wouldn't make it above platform level from the non-platformed side of the train at a station?

74A

Just seen a 701 on the approach to Woking so they do seem to be running now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There's an article in the latest Rail highlighting ASLEF's continuing concerns about the units. The last time the union carried out static testing on a unit at Wimbledon, 90 faults were identified, of which 23 need fixing before ASLEF will accept the 701s. These include door obstacle detection technology, coupling and uncoupling, wipers and cab doors that are difficult to open. As mentioned by some on here the early May "launch" at Waterloo appears to have been hopelessly premature.

Meanwhile, C2C has just taken delivery of its first Aventra and hopes for service entry in late summer/autumn...

Established Member
You've got to admire the GBRf drivers doing the testing of these units, working heroically in almost unbearable conditions - apparently.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You've got to admire the GBRf drivers doing the testing of these units, working heroically in almost unbearable conditions - apparently.
I’ve heard a lot of hyperbole in my time but calling a train cab unbearable conditions is possibly a winner.

43102EMR

Established Member
701014 appears to have made it into Waterloo tonight - test run from Southampton cut short and started from Eastleigh.

Established Member
It does make me wonder how it’s safe for GBRF drivers to drive them, but no no one else

On Moderation
It does make me wonder how it’s safe for GBRF drivers to drive them, but no no one else
Perhaps being in the real commercial world where no work = no job makes the staff rather less likely to throw their toys out of the pram and have disputes with management?

Established Member
Perhaps being in the real commercial world where no work = no job makes the staff rather less likely to throw their toys out of the pram and have disputes with management?
True!! I just find it baffling, then again it is the railway.

adc82140

Established Member
Perhaps GBRF should have a huge recruitment drive, then SWR could subcontract the driving of their trains to them for ever :D :D :D

Mollman

Established Member
Guessing the ASLEF view for SWR is about driving them day in day out etc. whereas GBRF drivers are only operating a couple of test runs a day (if they are lucky)

Juniper Driver

Established Member
The GBRF drivers won't be driving them in passenger service.Though.
I don't think I'd have as many problems if I drove empty trains around all day.

Domh245

Established Member
The GBRF drivers won't be driving them in passenger service.Though.
I don't think I'd have as many problems if I drove empty trains around all day.

With the exception of the obstacle detection, none of the apparent issues listed would appear to be affected by the presence (or lack) of passengers!? Sticky cab doors and issues with wipers would be as much a problem for an ECS service as a passenger one

These include door obstacle detection technology, coupling and uncoupling, wipers and cab doors that are difficult to open.

the sniper

Established Member
The GBRf drivers won't have to live with them day in, day out, for 40 years...

Goldfish62

Established Member
With the exception of the obstacle detection, none of the apparent issues listed would appear to be affected by the presence (or lack) of passengers!? Sticky cab doors and issues with wipers would be as much a problem for an ECS service as a passenger one
I'm assuming that the obstacle detection equipment is different to other Aventras, otherwise there wouldn't be an issue, surely...

The GBRf drivers won't have to live with them day in, day out, for 40 years...
Poor things. :D