• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Also noticed they've moved 8 down with the new 10 stop at VW p2. Was quite funny watching the punters at the back end of the platform trot hurriedly down when the Reading arrived and the last car sailed past them!

GW43125

Established Member
Also noticed they've moved 8 down with the new 10 stop at VW p2. Was quite funny watching the punters at the back end of the platform trot hurriedly down when the Reading arrived and the last car sailed past them!

They've done that at Egham and Chertsey too. It's [deleted] annoying that most trains no longer stop remotely near the entrance where people congregate (and in the case of Chertsey anything other than a 10 sails straight past the shelter too!-though it was amusing watching the mass of people legging it up the platform)

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
are 707001 002 still at wimbledon please
are they visible MTIA

Well on Friday 21/04/2017 I saw the following

Clapham Junction - viewed from footbridge at 19:30..

Shed
707009 sticking out with something that was probably not a 707 behind (more blue colour iirc)
Sidings
707008 + 707(uid)
707004 + 707(uid)

Wimbledon depot Left to Right from road entrance looking North East.
One of the above definitely did not have another unit coupled to it. The other two might well have had another 707 coupled/near as I could not see. Sorry I cannot recall which was definitely on its own. I got a 156 bus from Wimbledon station to near Wimbledon Park btw.

So I definitely saw eight 707s and the numbers of six.

Note that what could have been expected to be a pairing was definitely not so - that is because 707003 & 707004 were in two separate locations. Therefore nothing to say that 707001 and 707002 are (or should be) still together.

Any one know when they are going to start closing the level crossing at Feltham so they can extend the platforms? Last I heard the council had given planning permission and I saw a public notice attached to the crossing earlier this year stating that the crossing was due for closure and giving the end of March for any objections to be filed.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Any one know when they are going to start closing the level crossing at Feltham so they can extend the platforms? Last I heard the council had given planning permission and I saw a public notice attached to the crossing earlier this year stating that the crossing was due for closure and giving the end of March for any objections to be filed.

Does anyone know why so many crossings still exist in that area. There were a similar number on the North Kent line but most were closed and replaced by bridges years ago.

Goldfish62

Established Member

Latest indication is early next year.

nlogax

Established Member
Does anyone know why so many crossings still exist in that area. There were a similar number on the North Kent line but most were closed and replaced by bridges years ago.

Replacing multiple crossings in Mortlake and Sheen where the streets are full with dense suburban housing and on relatively narrow roadways will cost a small fortune and I imagine be a considerable engineering challenge to boot. Can't see it those crossings being replaced anytime soon.

The double crossings in Barnes are also narrow and skirt Barnes Common..maybe Vine Road could be closed but in my experience despite the frequent services it's quite a busy cut through for local traffic.

GW43125

Established Member

The four between Staines and Virginia water can't be done easily for the following reasons:

• Thorpe Lane-Turnings just before crossing, too narrow to go around a bridge.
  • Pooley Green-the bridge carrying the M25 is too close.
  • Egham-again, turnings immediately either side of the crossing.
  • Rusham-at the bottom of a steep and winding hill.

spark001uk

Established Member
I noticed behind the new units stabled at Clapham yesterday there's a ROG 47 sat there. Is that 848, the one that came off the road?

On Moderation
I noticed behind the new units stabled at Clapham yesterday there's a ROG 47 sat there. Is that 848, the one that came off the road?

Yes, 47848 is the one that came off. If you look at the country end of the loco you can see some of the damage (missing buffer etc).

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes, 47848 is the one that came off. If you look at the country end of the loco you can see some of the damage (missing buffer etc).

Ah ok cheers. So it wouldn't have even been allowed to be taken away as a DIT with the other 47 then? Presumably due to possibility of wheel damage caused by the derailment? (and missing buffer/brake pipe c0ck perhaps)

Last edited:

Sean Emmett

More of an infrastructure post, but the extended platforms are now in use at Ascot. Stopping points now at the London end of the station around the new footbridge, which means you get a slightly longer ride on the Guildford shuttle.

GW43125

Established Member
More of an infrastructure post, but the extended platforms are now in use at Ascot. Stopping points now at the London end of the station around the new footbridge, which means you get a slightly longer ride on the Guildford shuttle.

Are the lifts on the bridge in use yet? we still have signs at Chertsey warning us they've closed Ascot barrow crossing and there'll be no step free access until they finish the bridge in April...

spark001uk

Established Member
Are the lifts on the bridge in use yet? we still have signs at Chertsey warning us they've closed Ascot barrow crossing and there'll be no step free access until they finish the bridge in April...

They didn't look in use on Friday when I passed. Nor were the ones at V.Water!

TEW

Established Member

Didn't that sign originally say February? It was definitely earlier than April that they were planned to open.

spark001uk

Established Member
Also passed and no sign of lifts working at VW or Ascot.

On another note, anyone know what happened to 5Q14 today? It got as far as Haslemere and vanished!

WWTownEnth

Any news on when the first units will enter service?

Is it likely to be with the start of the new timetable? How is the fault free running going this time?!

spark001uk

Established Member
Any news on when the first units will enter service?

Is it likely to be with the start of the new timetable? How is the fault free running going this time?!

Well I spoke to one of the on board staff briefly at Reading the other day, and apparently it's going a bit better now, with the software behaving "better than it was". That's all I was able to find out.

Timetable change is in 13 days, they will have to be suitably satisfied with everything, and all the red tape cut through from all involved parties. So I wouldn't like to say, but it seems a tall order for a fortnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.