• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolmffc

Amused to see a sign saying “More space for you. This train is just the start” on one of the 707s this morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D235 Apapa

How many of these would be out on weekday services then?

Theoretically not far short of 18 (not that i have witnessed any myself), if that's the number that have been commissioned. But of that number, there may be at least a couple employed on train crew/depot driver/fitter training - units have to be commissioned for such activities. Final total in service each day (was)/is planned for 27 from 30.

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
I traveled on 2 single set 5 car 707s yesterday. On the first the PIS was reading "This train is not in service do not board" and the PIS was turned off on the 2nd service. This was the first time I have traveled on single 5 car units was it a coincidence that the **** always worked previously on the 10 car double sets or is it a software issue.
There seems to be some software issues with the 797 PIS. The one I had kept saying “This train is for Strawberry Hill only”, but did correct itself but it wasn’t displaying the Train Loading Indicator or tube status.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I don't subscribe to the same level of negativity about the 700s though I admit some of the criticisms are valid, but the reliability of the PIS is dreadful, seeing as it's the same on the 707s (though with the added downside of text-to-speech audio announcements, the audio is at least fairly reliable on 700s), it doesn't surprise me that there are issues. A lot of what's gone into the design of the PIS seems good, the font/backgrounds look better than other colour PIS displays and the information provided is good but the actual hardware being used, or if not that the firmware retrieving the data is horrendous. That the units have been in service 18 months and the majority of the units I use have at least some defect with the PIS shows how long it's taking them to get it right.

TEW

Established Member
There seems to be some software issues with the 797 PIS. The one I had kept saying “This train is for Strawberry Hill only”, but did correct itself but it wasn’t displaying the Train Loading Indicator or tube status.
That seems to be pretty much standard. Declaring that the train is for the final destination only, usually shortly followed by the actual calling pattern being displayed.

GW43125

Established Member

A little quirk of the PIS on 707s I like is that if it gets lost, it shuts up. Unlike on 450s/458s, which will just announce the wrong place.

spark001uk

Established Member
I've noticed the past week 2S77 (2322 WAT-WYB) now takes all 10/458, whereas 5 used to be taken off at WAT (ex 2U72) and went to Wim.pk (5Y81 or something I think?). I assume there's now a free 707 to take its place when it goes back out from Wim in the morning then? Certainly a good move putting 10 on, 5 was always very heavy til at least Barnes.

D235 Apapa

I've noticed the past week 2S77 (2322 WAT-WYB) now takes all 10/458, whereas 5 used to be taken off at WAT (ex 2U72) and went to Wim.pk (5Y81 or something I think?). I assume there's now a free 707 to take its place when it goes back out from Wim in the morning then? Certainly a good move putting 10 on, 5 was always very heavy til at least Barnes.

All part of the rolling cascade as more 707's enter service. 2S77 finishes at Wimbledon Park itself, empty back up via Surbiton.

SWT_USER

That seems to be pretty much standard. Declaring that the train is for the final destination only, usually shortly followed by the actual calling pattern being displayed.

I wondered about this. Possibly for future use on servies that join / split it would display 'This train is for Farnham and Aldershot' for example?

It is a little confusing though - could be better.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Thank you 707's.With these in service means the 458's are cascaded onto the Reading road.

What I find with this is it's easier to keep to time with 458's and even run early down there unlike desiro's which were harder to run to time especially if running a few minutes late.Totally different drive also.

Last edited:

dctraindriver

Thank you 707's.With these in service means the 458's are cascaded onto the Reading road.

What I find with this is it's easier to keep to time with 458's and even run early down there unlike desiro's which was harder to run to time especially if running a few minutes late.Totally different drive also.
Totally agree. Love being back in a 458 on the Reading Road. That brake is lovely.

Mind you I have to say I do like driving the 707......

pompeyfan

Established Member
Why are 458s preferable to 450s? I’ve heard comments about brakes snatching on Desiros but didn’t think they lost considerable time. They accelerate okay, dwell time can be an issue but I’m not sure why as the door cycle isn’t much longer, there’s possibly a 1 second delay between the push button being pressed and the air charging enough to open the doors.

D235 Apapa

Going back several years there were concerns, performance wise, that trains were losing time Aldershot to Guildford, with potential for delaying other across North & South Jns. After a number of rides through the area, it became apparent that generally speaking (no two drivers will drive exactly that same), the 458's were slightly better at keeping point to point timings over that stretch than 450's. No idea if that's similar on other routes?

dctraindriver

Why are 458s preferable to 450s? I’ve heard comments about brakes snatching on Desiros but didn’t think they lost considerable time. They accelerate okay, dwell time can be an issue but I’m not sure why as the door cycle isn’t much longer, there’s possibly a 1 second delay between the push button being pressed and the air charging enough to open the doors.
I think it’s the way they brake, seems a little more fluid and quicker to react.

spark001uk

Established Member

What I find with this is it's easier to keep to time with 458's and even run early down there unlike desiro's which was harder to run to time especially if running a few minutes late.Totally different drive also.
Keeping to time not least thanks to the doors not taking forever to open/close as on the 450s. Plus decent acceleration as well.

GW43125

Established Member
Keeping to time not least thanks to the doors not taking forever to open/close as on the 450s. Plus decent acceleration as well.

My usual morning train recently went over from 458 to 450 and it loses time every morning for various reasons including doors and people trying to wedge into 4 instead of 5 carriages. 458s could occasionally be early but that's yet to happen with a 450.

Val3ntine

My usual morning train recently went over from 458 to 450 and it loses time every morning for various reasons including doors and people trying to wedge into 4 instead of 5 carriages. 458s could occasionally be early but that's yet to happen with a 450.

This must be the 0631 Hounslow-London waterloo

HeelBurton

Oh dear it’s reverted back to a 4......

One of the busiest trains I’ve ever worked. Always drops time as you’ve mentioned

Goldfish62

Established Member

What I find with this is it's easier to keep to time with 458's and even run early down there unlike desiro's which were harder to run to time especially if running a few minutes late.Totally different drive also.
Indeed, I was on one last night that left Waterloo 3L. With a 450 it wouldn't gain any time and possibly lose more. On this service it was on time by the time we arrived at Ascot. It was helped by good coordination between the guard and driver reducing dwell time to a minimum.

D235 Apapa

Oh dear it’s reverted back to a 4......

One of the busiest trains I’ve ever worked. Always drops time as you’ve mentioned

Should go to 5-707 eventually (should have been so before now on original timescales), but as this is the odd a.m. 5 car start (of 27 units - most others start out as 10 cars) from Strawberry's, I would think it most likely to be one of the last diagrams to get it's 707. There should be two singleton's starting from Staines, but they should then combine at Waterloo at the start of the morning peak.

Last edited:

AverageTD

So with the 458s going to the reading line that should mean more 707s are operating the Windsor and Weybridge routes to replace them. Then there would be more appearances than on the diagrams but then where are the 450s going?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So with the 458s going to the reading line that should mean more 707s are operating the Windsor and Weybridge routes to replace them. Then there would be more appearances than on the diagrams but then where are the 450s going?
Ascot - Guildford (that's already happened). Strengthening other mainline routes towards maximum length. Some small number will remain on the Windsor/Reading side as mentioned in recent posts. Probably one on Lymingtons. A few on Portsmouth Weymouths, and the new Portsmouth - Southampton semi-fast.

class387

Established Member
Not sure whether this has been asked before, but do the 707s have the same 'NS' chime as the 700s before a manual announcement?

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
For those wondering, an example of the on-board PIS announcements and their rather dodgy text-to-speech system recorded a couple of weeks back. There are three clips here, the first is our arrival at Stoneleigh. The second (and very short one) is on the approach to Worcester Park. The third is the approach to Wimbledon.

Attachments

• 707PIS.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

GW43125

Established Member
Currently aboard 707013 on 12:03 Weybridge Waterloo. The PIS is listing all service groups as "service closed" except South West Main Line which is listed as "minor disruption"

Status
Not open for further replies.