• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

samuelmorris

Established Member
On the lower of the two images shown, the front passenger door seems to be further forward than on the upper one.

IEPs (and presumably their direct derivatives in class 802) were designed for a maximum speed of 140mph, whereas I guess those being built for EMR will only be for a maximum of 125mph; does this mean that the unusable passenger space in cab-ended vehicles can be reduced in length?
I don't think it's anything to do with that, I think it's because the vehicles are 24m in length rather than 26m.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I don't think it's anything to do with that, I think it's because the vehicles are 24m in length rather than 26m.

On the contrary - making them 125mph capable only and thereby reducing the amount of dead space needed means that they can fit more passenger accommodation into the shorter carriage length than if they'd simply scaled it down (or lopped 2m out of the middle) - Hitachi won't have gone around leaving unnecessary dead space in the existing 80x design if it wasn't necessary

tomglazed

The first of those renders also appears to go back to the standard sliding door type of the other Class 800’s and not plug. Back to the age old tale of there only being so much detail you can take from a render...

On the contrary - making them 125mph capable only and thereby reducing the amount of dead space needed means that they can fit more passenger accommodation into the shorter carriage length than if they'd simply scaled it down (or lopped 2m out of the middle) - Hitachi won't have gone around leaving unnecessary dead space in the existing 80x design if it wasn't necessary

Thanks for that.

Intuition suggests that a stumpier nose would be acceptable for a lower maximum speed, but as the front passenger door appearsto be further forward on the lower illustration and there still appears to be six saloon side windows on a 2m shorter vehicle, I wondered if the unusable area could be reduced in size because of the lower maximum speed, hence my question.

Has anything definite been said about what catering facilities will be provided on the 810s (or whatever they're to be)?

Established Member
Has anything definite been said about what catering facilities will be provided on the 810s (or whatever they're to be)?
Not sure but I think catering was mentioned somewhere about it changing when the 810s come but nothing definite. Standard class will most likely become a trolley 7 days a week to remove the need of a buffet. I would say the kitchen will remain in some way to keep a first class food offering like the breakfast services.

sprinterguy

Established Member
EMR have launched a competition to suggest a fleet name for the class 810s, which can be accessed by following the link below. The competition is open until 26th June:
From April 2022, EMR will be introducing our new InterCity bi-mode trains on to the Midland Mainline.

Since the beginning of the railway, companies have applied names to their rolling stock such as LNER’s ‘Azuma’ and Southeastern’s ‘Javelin’. To continue this railway tradition, the new EMR bi-mode trains need a name and we want your help!

Before you suggest a name, it must meet ONE of the below criteria to ensure it follows our EMR branding values:

Heritage & Region
We’d like to explore names that reflect the proud railway heritage in the region and/or showcase the character and pride of the people within the East Midlands.

Modern & Innovative
Another option is to look at names that reflect innovative features such as its ability to transform power modes and/or the sleek modern design which gives it a sense of speed and future adventure.

To enter, complete the form by Friday 26th June 2020.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
EMR have launched a competition to suggest a fleet name for the class 810s, which can be accessed by following the link below. The competition is open until 26th June:

I have already submitted the winning entry. With a nod to their most efficient method of propulsion, I have suggested:

“East Midlands Electricity”

irish_rail

Established Member
Why not just call the whole lot Intercity Express Train like GWR, far less gimmicky than the nauseating Azuma.

Energy

Established Member
How about just. "Train". Why does everything need to have a stylish name nowerdays?
I'm thinking 'fast train'. Does the public really care about the names anyway? Bimodes have been in service for a few years now so it isn't exactly special.

LowLevel

Established Member
How about just. "Train". Why does everything need to have a stylish name nowerdays?

It's not that new a phenomenon is it really?

Networker. Electra. Sprinter. Intercity 125. Castle. King. Trans Manche Super Train. Ocean Saloon. Turbostar. Meridian.

It looks nice for publicity.

Iskra

Established Member

This seems even dafter since EMR have barely got their brand known for anything in particular. At least when Virgin did stuff like this you knew what sort of name's they were after; racy, exciting, futuristic, fast sounding, attention-grabbing stuff. The MML also lacks the exciting history of the ECML and WCML to draw from. There was absolutely nothing exciting about my last EMR journey on a 153.

Domh245

Established Member
This seems even dafter since EMR have barely got their brand known for anything in particular. At least when Virgin did stuff like this you knew what sort of name's they were after; racy, exciting, futuristic, fast sounding, attention-grabbing stuff. The MML also lacks the exciting history of the ECML and WCML to draw from. There was absolutely nothing exciting about my last EMR journey on a 153.

Midland Mainline (NatEx) weren't exactly known for anything either but Meridian has stuck. Also, with all due respect, EMR's regional service isn't supposed to be exciting in the same way that Intercity might...

On Moderation
“Super Hitachi Intercity Train”

It even has a suitable acronym they could use.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hark back and called them "Peaks", although the Class 45 was probably better :D I'd say "Steelers" but a certain team in Sheffield might not be happy!

Mollman

Established Member
Given a certain greeting in much of the area and the association of St Albans with Gresley, you could call them ducks and name them Mallard, Gadwall, Shelduck etc.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Given a certain greeting in much of the area and the association of St Albans with Gresley, you could call them ducks and name them Mallard, Gadwall, Shelduck etc.

Well I never knew old Nige lived in St Albans. (Strictly speaking, it’s not St Albans now, but Hertsmere, and the wrong side of the M25 to boot).

Helvellyn

Established Member
Hmm. Fleet name.

Well we will eventually have EMR Electrics (360), EMR InterCity (810) and EMR Regional (170).

Name the 810 fleet the Trent Class after the River. And the 170 fleet the Derby Class after their construction place. That does leave the 360 fleet. Maybe they could be the Terrence Class.