• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 88 UKDual & EuroDual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leomartin125

Sunbird24

In case anyone hasn't seen this page I've found already, it confirms that the first Class 88 for DRS (already in a blue of some sort!) has arrived at Velum in Czech Republic for testing on April 15th. Link is below:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/locomotives/first-drs-class-88-electro-diesel-ready-for-testing.html?channel=528

Anyone know when it might be delivered or is this dependant on how testing works out? Thanks.

Leo
Long after 88002!
I take it you didn't read the previous page of this thread.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

More pictures of the 88 in Germany can be seen here: http://www.eisenbahn-kurier.de/startbeitraege/4340-stadler-88001-nach-tschechien-ueberfuehrt

Last edited:

Sunbird24

There were two almost complete class 88s in the engine test bays at Albuixech this afternoon, I assume 88002 & 88003 but the numbers were not visible.

dubscottie

All we need is for them to be fitted with retractable buffers, buckeye and Pullman rubbing plate..

Oh and TDM. Will never happen...

Harbornite

Established Member
Here's the latest pics from railcolor.net, showing 88001 being tested with coal wagons in Czechia.

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1000006&file=vl_88001_63&action=image

vl_88001_63.jpg

Rhydgaled

Established Member

Harbornite

Established Member
Is 88001 moving at all in that pic? And are the coal wagons loaded? If the answer to both of those is yes then the diesel engine must be surprisingly powerful because the pantographs don't seem to be raised.

Good question, I'm not entirely sure. There is a possibility although the loco has rear light markers on it. I'm attaching another image that shows 88001 with the pantograph up, and it shows the contents of the coal hoppers.
vl_88001_62.jpg

RobShipway

Established Member
Good question, I'm not entirely sure. There is a possibility although the loco has rear light markers on it. I'm attaching another image that shows 88001 with the pantograph up, and it shows the contents of the coal hoppers.
vl_88001_62.jpg

Could it be that the last mile diesel engine was being tested with being used with the coal wagons?

Sunbird24

The full story of this was published several days ago. Apparently it did the first run on diesel power only and the second on electric power. It is more than a last mile diesel, though not anywhere near type 4/5 power, just type 1 (950HP), so it can in theory do the same work as a single class 20 on diesel power. Currently it is not possible to fit a more powerful diesel engine within the UK loading gauge undeer the new EU regulations. The EuroDual (actually PrasaDuals) currently being built for South Africa have a 2800HP diesel engine but they are higher when seen next to the 88s (two of each plus a Euro 4000 and Eurolight all together in the engine test bay yesterday).
There will likely be a lot more tests over the coming weeks in addition to further testing in the UK when the first ones are delivered before its true capabilities under various conditions become known.
I will be interested to see its load limit if it has to haul a freight over the likes of Shap on only diesel power.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
There wouldn't be a lot of point in fitting a last-mile engine if it weren't capable of pulling the load the electric systems had just brought to the end of the wires.

furnessvale

Established Member

59CosG95

Established Member
One would assume, juding by that, that testing is now complete with 001. Wonder if it's going to enter the country via Dollands Moor and the Channel Tunnel, or going by ship up to Workington instead?

Harbornite

Established Member
One would assume, juding by that, that testing is now complete with 001. Wonder if it's going to enter the country via Dollands Moor and the Channel Tunnel, or going by ship up to Workington instead?

Good question, I'd guess that Workington docks will be chosen but we'll see.

Sunbird24

That picture was taken when it was on its way to Velim. Testing usually lasts about 2-3 months. It may look like just another 68 with a pantograph but remember it is a totally different diesel engine and very different software to cater for the electric side of things. Granted the bogies and traction motors are the same.
Another thing to remember is that the loco is likely to be internally equipped with a lot of testing equipment which will need to be removed.
It is quite likely to return to the factory for this equipment to be removed and have the remainder of its parts restored to "as new" condition, as was done with 68001.
If the above is indeed the case I would not expect to see it in UK until towards the end of deliveries.

Sunbird24

@Harbornite, the picture above should be credited to Norman Gottberg. You should not be posting other peoples pictures without permission or credit, it is extremely bad manners as well as copyright infringement.
BTW the link in your signature does not work properly as you have included the final square bracket.

Harbornite

Established Member
@Harbornite, the picture above should be credited to Norman Gottberg. You should not be posting other peoples pictures without permission or credit, it is extremely bad manners as well as copyright infringement.
BTW the link in your signature does not work properly as you have included the final square bracket.

I forgot to add the URL to my post, it was an honest mistake and there's no need for an inquiry. If you look at my older posts, you'll see that I provided links.

Oh and btw, thanks for pointing out the signature, I was wondering what the fault was but didn't get round to sorting it.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Rather like going over Shap behind an 08.

They will pull forever..............just not very quickly!

Using the formulae here - http://www.republiclocomotive.com/tractive_effort_and_power_calculations.html - and waving a wet finger about to estimate 'power at the wheels', I reckon that an 88 on diesel could manage maximum tractive effort (317kN) up to about 4-5 mph, then TE falls off as speed increases as per the normal 'constant power' curve. As 950 hp is 'heavy shunter' power level i.e. what you might use to shove a whole train over a yard hump, that feels about right.

So yes, it could climb Shap with a heavy train on diesel, but slowly...but that is still better than not moving at all in the event of overhead power loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.